Lately I've been noticing in American movies and pictures that there are no vehicles like Hiluxes, L200...

Lately I've been noticing in American movies and pictures that there are no vehicles like Hiluxes, L200, Pajero/Montero or 70Series Land Cruisers.

Also why aren't brands like Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Mahindra, Tata, Proton, not in the US? Are they all banned?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NGEwG62Q1UQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

b8 thread
MOVE ON

No seriously, I'm from Dubai(sandnigger as you may all call).

Chicken tax

Movie studios want the most bland, ordinary cars driving in the background of movies, so the same car can be used several times without the audience noticing. If you have a bright ass, neon green Hummer passing by in the background every other minute or whatever, it would be too glaring and could ruin the shot.

Hiluxes
L200
Pajero
70 Series

we got old Hiluxes and L200s under different names
we got the Montero until 2006

Opel
Renault
Peugeot

all of those were over here at some point in time but dropped out of the marked due to poor sales

some Opels were still brought over under American brand names

Mahindra
Tata
Proton

those are probably too shitty to pass our safety requirements

Americans dont care about "shitty" foreign trucks when we make the best trucks in the world

>hilux, etc
Not sold here
>opel
GM, sold as chevies
>Peugeot, Renault, Tata, Proton
Why would we want these again? Not sold here.

kek

all I can think of is the green Beetle from Bullit that shows up 3 or 4 times across town

>>opel
>GM, sold as chevies
Buicks*

sama 3aleko

they were sold as

Buicks Pontiacs Saturns Cadillacs Chevies and with actual Opel badges way back when

consider the advertising value of showing a car in a movie and what the big 3 would pay for that.

>Why would we want these again?
>mad he can't drive glorious baguette econoboxes
Don't worry mate, they will come soon.

This give or take, although Mahindra sells tractors here.

>sub-1l econoboxes
>in V8 country

They're not sold here.

I mean I love me some 5 turbo but their modern offerings? Not so much.

Hon

Because the average American has never heard of Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Mahindra, Tata, or Proton.

Hell I'm a car enthusiast and I've never even heard of Mahindra or Proton.

>Also why aren't brands like Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Mahindra, Tata, Proton, not in the US? Are they all banned?
I occasionally see one of these cars in the US but I imagine they imported it.

They're probably not more prominent in the US because the US is a different market that maybe companies haven't tried investing in or penetrating. Most of Europe drives really small hatchbacks and cars where in the US many of the vehicles are not these puny compacts

>are they all banned
fuck off OP they just aren't sold here, fuckin idiot
some cars don't meet our safety standards, some cars get taxed out the ass so its not profitable to ship them in, you know normal business shit. get over yourself.

If you don't know those 2 brands, you ain't a car enthusiast. A car enthusiast is one who knows the shittiest and the best.

literally the only reason I know of Proton is because I knew a Malaysian guy on a forum that was obsessed with them

theyre mostly just Mitsubishis

And here I thought a car enthusiast is someone who's enthusiastic about cars.

>when we make the best trucks in the world
Is that why no one else buys them?

No, that's because other countries tax the shit out of them.

Mexicans and south Americans love Chevrolets and ford trucks. I have no clue as to why.

It's not our fault that Europoors live up to their name.

>when you're stupid

Toyota TR2.7

World spec
>164 hp

Us/Can spec
>159 hp

WHAT THE FUG

GM has a contract with hollywood to supply them with all the vehicles they need to blow up and crash, in exchange for lingering shots of the badges.
So, the majority of GM's stock gets driven a few miles and then riddled with bullets, crashed, or blown up, and is then scrapped. That's basically the only reason they're still solvent.

the Ford F series is the 2nd best selling automobile in the entire world behind the Corolla

I know its 1st in the USA and I think Canada too

thing is Europe and Asia has taxes and shit

even then Germany managed a parade of 1150 Dodge Rams on the Nurburgring

>OPEL

The US already has enough GM shit

>Pug

They tried to sell here 35 years ago and failed miserably

>Renault

A massive shit

>Poo-in-loo makes

Can you drive off a mountain or something?

Commercial/utility vehicles are taxed by maximum weight rating in most places. It's got more to do with Americans insisting on stupid gasoline engines and space wasting conventional hood designs.

Which is funny, because in the border states, immigrants tend to scoop up old Rams and Dakotas like conservationists grab up endangered species.

That picture makes me hard.

Trips confirm your statement. Better start rounding up old trucks that won't pass inspection and sell them at a Mexican swap meet. Profit?

because literally the only thing average american wants is MUH VEE ATE TRUK and even better if its Ford or GM because MUH PATRIOTISM

literally nobody buys GM/Ford trucks outside USA, he is right.

I'm implying he's stupid for thinking they're crap just because they don't sell overseas.

>Lately I've been noticing in American movies and pictures that there are no vehicles like Hiluxes, L200, Pajero/Montero or 70Series Land Cruisers.
America did get most of those for a period but they were never big sellers. You can see a Hilux in the Back To The Future movies. Toyota stopped selling the Hilux in America around 1995. In the US, the Hilux was just called the Toyota Pick Up. It was replaced by the Toyota Tacoma, designed FOR the American market. The Tacoma is known for severe rust problems, even on trucks as little as 3 years old. We got the Montero until around 2003/2004
We never got the 70 series Land Cruiser.

>Also why aren't brands like Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Mahindra, Tata, Proton, not in the US? Are they all banned?
They're not banned. Those brands just either abandoned the US market (Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Citroen), or never were in the US to begin with (Proton, Mahindra, Tata).
We do get a few hand-picked Opels here as Buicks. and versions of Renault products as Nissan's. Mahindra tried to get into America a few years ago but there was some legal hurdle they had trouble with.
Renault stopped selling in America after 1987, I believe when their CEO was assassinated and they sold AMC to Chrysler.

Most companies feel that changing their cars to sell in the US is too large an investment to recoup. The US favors petrol engines. No company here has ever made a profit selling diesel cars in America, even Volkswagen. US emissions are stricter than Europes so the emissions controls have to be changed. America's safety standards are stricter, requiring structural changes.

When Fiat reintroduced themselves to America in 2012, they had to make numerous changes to the 500. To help recoup the losses, the changes needed for the US market were applied to the 500 worldwide.

youtube.com/watch?v=NGEwG62Q1UQ

>Movie scene in X location
>Cars used do not match the country they're supposed to be in (eg. Renault/Opel/Citroen in the US, or Scion/Buick/Infiniti in Europe)

I know normies don't care but HOLY SHIT THIS TRIGGERS ME SO MUCH

There's other things that bother me.
In the 2005 movie, "War of the Worlds", there's a scene where they're supposed to be driving through Boston, Massachusetts... It's not Boston. It is in fact Naugatuck, Connecticut. I grew up in Naugatuck and was in high school when the movie was being filmed.

I hate when they film in one place and say it's another. Something's always off, but you never know what.

Holy shit thats gay

IT'S A FEATURE

Tons of movies do that. It's probably more common than actually filming at the stated location unless it's unmistakenly identifyable.

even the chinese special forces drive merikan truks

>inb4 it's a Chinese copy

enforcement uses the real deal
even they know their copies are turds to avoid

>movie takes place in 1999
>character gets inconvenienced by a 2001 Cadillac DTS

this shit triggers me to no end as well, stop activating my autism you fuckers.

Wagons don't have 4x4 dummy

>movie takes place in 12 and 1300s
>cars in the background

I lolipolied

The car in the pic is clearly a Subaru

kekked

it's what happens with so much wealth. We do stupid shit because we're not poor like most all of Yuropooria

Opel cars come to the US through the buick marque

the real answer is have a nice car and a shitbox truck with vee ATE

>AWD = 4WD

you tried

>no low rage transfer case
Not a real 4x4

range*

>what is the chicken tax

>B-because....tax...because...bs
They are not well built, they are not better they are just big, that sells in America and not anywhere else in the world.
Eat your own shit America

Just about every country on the planet is a signatory to the ECE standards, and those who aren't will still accept them, except the US.
The US has got its own incompatible safety standards called the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. In many cases, the FMVSS is actually worse than corresponding ECE standards
>Tl;dr: an excuse to keep better cars out of their market so they can actually sell some American made cars

>gay
French*
Sometimes is a blurry definition but it's actually different things.
That car is awsome though