Explain kamikaze attacks. How do you convince someone to kill themselves as the last resort?

Explain kamikaze attacks. How do you convince someone to kill themselves as the last resort?

> If you didn't do this, we kill you on spot.
Wow! So hard.

It's easy to brainwash young men into things like honor and that it's ok to kill yourself for the greater good. Optional: you also convince them there's an afterlife.

For the glory of the Emperor

Wow, thought provoking answer. Makes you think.

National Spirit.

fill their head with spooks

same way you explain jihad

Normal fighter pilots also die.

You tell them that the enemy are litteraly devil monsters who will eat their children and rape their wives to death with swords, and the only way to stop them is to crash this plane into their ships, which will also bring glory and honour to your name.

Pretty easy really.

Nation state compounded with militaristic religious enshrinement

Simply explain to them that they will be guaranteed a spot to ride in Valhalla, shiny and chrome.

The virtue of pain and sacrifice require an outpost that is beyond life, an ideal that is more important than the bare fact of existing.

The bourgeois ideal of comfort is directly opposed to this - the notion that being comfortable is the goal of living contradicts the notion that there is something beyond life that justifies it.

Our society is fundamentally bourgeois, being as it is beyond classical notions of scarcity and necessary struggle. The whole sense of living now is to get more, to ensure that the conditions of your existence are more comfortable than those of others'.

That is why we can't understand kamikaze, suicide bombings, and why we are losing the war against terror.

>Hmmm, we seem to be losing and we're outnumbered. What strategy can we use to facilitate victory or at least a draw?
>Oh I know! Let's all fucking kill ourselves!

This is the bigger mystery, OP.

Spend your entire life in a refugee camp.

Rather die a hero than live a coward

They weren't losing or outnumbered. They could have easily retreated.

First you find a big guy, then you give him a mask

>Hmmm, we seem to be in a tricky position. What should we do in order to facilitate a better position to fight from?
>Oh I know! Let's all fucking kill ourselves!
My point still stands.

you do realize that those last two maps are pure propaganda, right? the third shows Palestinian occupied territories, excluding much of the Palestinians who became Israeli citizens (yes after being taken off their land and spending the 50s under military rule), the fourth is even worse, showing the lands governed by the Palestinian Authority as though they are the only lands left occupied by Palestinians. the fourth image is actually an improved situation from the third, where the Palestinian Authority didn't rule over shit

By having them born in a centuries long tradition of reverence to towards the Emperor and nation. To not fight at all was beyond disgraceful, to directly sacrifice you life was the greatest honor.

Also meth and perks of being a Kamikaze pilot in the service. They generally received better food and quarters, and allowed plenty of recreation while they waited to be called into action.

The Japanese people in that time see the Emperor as a God.
And you do what your God tells you to do, right ?

It's better to crash a little fighter plane into a big as shit plane or a ship and destroy than try to hit it with the little plane's guns. Causes more damage and also makes the enemy shits its pants.

seems a lot of westerners can't understand this kind of way of thinking, though i don't agree there's still alot of people holding these kind of values here, especially old people, people from these era are more naive, but pure and good willed, they have black and white view of the world, thus they're more believing in idea of sacrifice and piety

The emperor had little control or influence on the military, especially in regards to attacking Pearl Harbor.

What? They were beaten more than the regular soldier

well the Americans were starting to push onward to Japan, and Japanese belived they were going to kill, rape, etc. So you can see why they would do what they did. I mean fuck, i would gladly crash a plane into a ship full of people if i belived those people were going to kill and rape my family

It's invented tradition; supposedly this practice has existed for centuries, but State Shinto - focusing on reverence to the emperor and war dead- was created and emphasized in the Meiji Period to support the mobilization and militarization of the Japanese public. Previously, Buddhism had absorbed Japanese traditional folkways since it was brought to Japan in the 9th century (I don't have muh books on me so don't quote me on that date). Even then, the religious practices distinct to the Japanese islands most likely borrowed Taoist cosmologies and technologies before accurate documentation, then developed semi-independently. What we call Shinto today is the remnants of Meiji nationalism that evolved out of Tokugawa folk-scholarship, and later was stripped of its militaristic nature by American occupational forces (who dismantled State Shinto).

>If you don't do it you die
>If you do do it you die
Why not attack your own people for forfeiting your life.

There's probably more to it including but not limited to; propaganda, religious significance (c. Islamic Terrorism) or something similar of the sort.

Be it your 72 virgins or your fame and recognized patriotism/legacy, there's a reason you'd be willing to kill yourself, regardless of whether or not said reason is just a figment of your imagination.

Because you want to be remembered as a hero who died for their country, not a coward or even worse, a traitor. It's all about honor.

People can do a lot of things when you persuade them to stop thinking in terms of "me" and start thinking in terms of "us". Even easier if you tell them about greater good and shit.