Considering buying this land yacht. 1981 Lincoln Town Car. $11,000 AUD

Considering buying this land yacht. 1981 Lincoln Town Car. $11,000 AUD.

Shared the Panther platform, so spare parts shouldn't be too hard to find - I'm told.

It'd be my only vehicle but I'm a full-time worker and part-time student at a university that I can easily catch the bus to, so I wouldn't be relying on it for anything other than fucking around.

I have no mechanical experience but I want to learn.

Haven't talked to the owner or inspected it so obviously purchase is conditional on getting a good price, it running, no major repairs needed, blah blah blah, but from the ad it looks like it's in fine condition and only needs some reupholstering for the headliner.

Thoughts?

I've spent my whole life driving dad's big four wheel drives and sedans so I'm not too concerned about the barginess of it.

>11k

Fuck no

That's 8k USD, and cars are way more expensive here in general. A new Mazda 3 is 22k AUD which is 16.5k USD.

I thought it was a pretty good price, am I wrong?

8k is way too much. I've seen comparable LTD's for 2.5k.

If you got 8k to spend on a landbarge look at older cadillacs and continentals

You can buy those cars in the US southeast for well under 5k usd. Hell I've got a 98 cartier with a sunroof and dual exhaust for 3k

Trust me, this is the cheapest working Lincoln for sale in the entire country.

Come to America and buy one and drive it back

>not driving it into hell

Wow that just seems insane to me. I could go out and buy a 2011 (final yea) Town Car for $10k-$15k USD.

There are only two Lincoln Town Cars for sale in this entire country.

One is this one, and the other is a limousine.

>81

It's not like you have a lot of choices in this sort of car down there but you'll seriously hate this particular one. The ride will be ok but it'll be severely lacking in power. It has a Throttle Body injection system named Central Fuel Injection (CFI) that's run by the EEC-III computer. They were hard to keep running right and parts hard to get back in the early 90's. I can't imagine it being any easier now. Do yourself a favor and study up on the EEC-III and how it differs from the far superior EEC-IV that arrived in 84.

Also the car is a slug of epic proportions that will have you literally gritting your teeth getting on the freeway or pulling hills. If you want one of the 80's Town Cars hold out for an 86 or newer with the port fuel injection. It's like night and day.

Ew.

Sounds like good advice.

I believe you as far as scarcity goes, but as much as it pains me to admit it, I don't think you'd be satisfied with buying this one. I've owned a few 80s lincolns and they have their problems.

Poor quality interior, insulation that falls out, headliners that droop, window motors that fail, seat motors that fail, digital dashes that stop working, so on and so on. If you had a ready supply of parts cars, and if you had acess to cheaper cars I'd say hell yea, but at that price point I'd strongly advice against it. If you are dead set on a vintage lincoln (And I don't blame you one bit if that's the case) you may wanna wait until you could find one in the US for a fraction of that cost (one could seriously be bought here for less than 2k) and try to have that imported.

Seeing as you sound like you know what you're talking about, what do you think about a Cadillac?

Plan B is this De Ville, 1973.

Like I said, I have basically zero mechanical knowledge so any advice is helpful. I do have some more knowledgeable car friends who I talk to as well though but they're fags who only like modern sports cars.

here,

I'm a diehard Lincoln fan, but I would have to admit that I think the earlier caddy would be a better option for a few reasons. It'll consist of a lot of GM truck parts (readily obtainable), it looks like anything that would normally have failed has been replaced, and it would lack a lot of the overly complicated 80s garbage that ford was figuring out (like that EEC-III system mentioned previously). If you wanted my honest opinion though I'd tell you to just buy a much newer town car.

>THIS POST IS LINCOLN SHILLING

Not that guy, but for all the work they've put into that the fit and finish is even worse than what it was when it was new.

Personally I'd have preferred that they hadn't touched it rather than do all that "tacky cool" shit like the color, the wheels, the shitty upholstery, and the package tray o'speakers.

It's a big block, will burn a lot of gas, but probably has a carburetor, and other super simple mechanicals...plus you could live in it, if you had too; she's a large girl...roomy.

Not in Australia you haven't. American cars like this are scarce over here.

I'm talking to a bloke at the moment who's about to pull the trigger on a fiero for $9k AUD.

The wrecking yards here are not littered with these things, much as I wish they were.

>I'd tell you to just buy a much newer town car.
Can't, sadly. Plan C is a Chrysler 300C but they're shit, so I've heard. Dad had one once upon a time and it was a great car but I don't know if I actually want to own one with their reputation to have the engine completely just fucking die and need to be replaced out of nowhere.

What I really want is a later model (still pre-90s) Lincoln Town Car Signature, but that's never gonna happen unless I import it.

I agree, it looks like a nigger car. There's a Seville in white with red leather that looks like something out of GTA:SA.

I just looked at the carsales as for this car.
>97kw
>312Nm

Fugg that's going to be slow, even if it's still making that much power, which it isn't. A Holden V8 of the era was putting out more than that.

Yeah, I've read that the 1981's are anaemic because of US regulations. I figured I'd make the judgement on the test drive but if the car's full of overcomplicated garbage I might not even make it that far.

I want something simple, but bargey.

Last option is this '79 De Ville sedan, with 120,000km on the clock.

It's way more than I wanted to spend at 19k AUD but I might be able to get it for less which is the only reason I'm considering it at all.

>It's a big block
4 u

literally the biggest piece of shit you could pick to 'learn2mechanix'

get a fucking kangaroo aussie cunt

here

Way Way bad option, for that money I can find one, buy it, ship it to you and still make profit. just too high even considering shipping.

(on the plus side a 90+ front end can be swapped for a more ASTHETIC look)

I don't understand the appeal of these fucking things.

I'm sure the boredom of driving a slow rectangle can only be rivalled by the bore that is the driver.

Imo I wouldn't buy that for $1500.

It's gonna break constantly, be downright impossible to get parts for without sacrificing your firstborn and it'll chug fuel like nothing else in the meantime.

It's almost the textbook definition of bad decision.

Lol Aus fags get fucked.

In America that wouldn't even be worth 2k.

Pic related was only 1k a few years ago, and all I had to do was put a new transmission in it a year later.

>all I had to do was put a new transmission in it

If it wasn't so simple and abundant that would be a major issue.

>I thought it was a pretty good price, am I wrong?
No. Cars depreciate a shitload as time goes on. They're only worth what the owner thinks they can get for them. Check KBB.