Get a liking to the RX-8

>get a liking to the RX-8
>p. much universally shat on
>dirt cheap to get a running one
>1.3l insurance
>2+2
it's because it's the starting car in NFS, isn't it?

trash

Because it wasn't as good as the RX-7 and emissions cuckery ruined the 13B-MSP.

it also wasn't built in a dickwaving contest against Porsche, was not a 90's 2 seater sportscar and sacrificed a lot to be try and recoup from the FD reliability problems

>it's because it's the starting car in NFS,
So was the honda civic

and from time immemorial it's the poster child for tasteless ricing

>it's because it's the starting car in NFS, isn't it?
I played through Need for Speed Underground 2 in the Peugeot 106.

mah noqqa
106 literally OP in drift events

How much would it be worth to get a decent one and say, replace the engine with a non-shit counterpart? Would the cost even be worth it at that point?

You can find otherwise immaculate examples with motors that need rebuilds for under 5 grand all day. Depending on where you source your replacement engine from you could have the whole thing running for under 10 easy and that's probably on the high end.

This. Needs an LS to be worth anything.

>buy one of the few rotary-powered cars in existence
>swap in a piston engine
The only engine you should be swapping into an RX-8 is a 13B-REW.

It's a GT car instead of a D-D-D-D-D-D-DURIFTO initial D meme car

also it ruined the NC Miata

An LS is objectively superior in every way, stay mad.

No people abused them to death and didnt know shit about the engine so rip. People gave it a bad enough vibe there are little to no mounts thanks to that for other engines.

>in every way
It's not as smooth and it doesn't sound as good. But that's not my point. My point is that if you're planning to swap in a piston engine, maybe you should be buying a piston-powered car to start with.

On the rx8 yes. Body handles the change in weight pretty well but
>Practically requires custom mounts.

It's because the renesis is literally the worse engine ever made.

Buy a clean RX8 with a fucked engine (not hard to find), LS swap. Enjoy a suddenly very gud car.

>Surely this isn't bait

>doesn't sound as good
Found the faggot.

13B =/= ported 20B

>buy one of the few rotary-powered cars in existence
That's because rotary engines are an unreliable shit design only liked by autists who need to constantly fidget with something. Swapping out a flawed engine for a proven one is a no-brainer.

Then why buy an RX-8 in the first place? Why not buy something that doesn't require you to fiddle with a whole bunch of other things when you swap in an engine type it wasn't designed for in the first place?

Because they're cheap cars that are excellent, ruined by an shit engine.

You can't actually be this fucking dense, can you faggot? We're not talking about FDs here, we're not talking about swapping out a 'good' dorito, we're talking about throwing the renesis in the trash where it belongs and putting an LS in it's place considering how much work it takes to put a proper 13B in it anyway.

I mean for fuck sake, with a REW swap you need to change half the shit anyway, need to mount an intercooler, new exhaust, new everything.
And if you're not a faggot, while you do this you do a single turbo swap, piss off half the stupid leaky vacuum hoses and get a proper ECU to run it all.

OR, to get the same 400rwhp, you get any 6L LS and give it a tune.

You now have something that's happy to make 400rwhp with no aftermarket bullshit parts not fitting perfectly or being shit quality, you use noticeably less fuel and have something an order of magnitude more reliable than even the best dorito.

With an LS you do an oil change every 10,000 miles and it'll last 500k miles. A dorito, you do an oil change every 2,500 and it won't do 250k, even if you follow all the rotard tricks like redline at least once a drive, premix, no stop/start, dino oil only, etc etc.

It makes no sense at all to put a 13B-REW into an RX8 in any country with cheap LS available.

its pretty good, if you don't care about gas mileage and are prepared for finicky bullshit like premixing and checking the oil levels every hour(slight exaggeration).

Make sure you do not get one with an 'american' factory rebuild. They didn't do a very good job.

>It's because the renesis is literally the worse engine ever made.
Why?

No big deal, just so hideously unreliable it's resulted in a class action lawsuit and 2004 year model RX8s being worth literally half a 2004 350Z commands (despite being competitors).

Being so poorly designed that a common trick to not blow them up is to put fucking engine oil in with your fuel, like you're driving a piece of shit dirtbike.

All this for a WHOPPING 150lb-ft of torque.

Because regulations cucked it

>b-b-b-but it's cheap!
I bet you'd like a Fiero with a bodykit too. If it's not a rotary, you're only pretending to drive an RX-8. Is the renesis shit? Sure. Can you swap in something else? Absolutely, but make it another Wankel.

We're talking $5,000 cars you turbonigger. Nobody is going to drop $50k to put a quad rotor in one unless they're a moron, 20Bs are so rare they might as well be a myth and a 13B is in no way superior to an LS.

>but muh soul and pashun
Fuck off. You know what the RX-8 would've been if it had the 2.3L from the MPS in it instead?
The MX-8, and it would be better in every fucking way.

It's very ugly
Renesis is worst wankel
Gas mileage of a corvette, slower than an S2000

What did doritos do to you?

b-but its speshul!!

>It's very ugly
Subjective uleh, the facelift look pretty good
>Renesis is worst anything
fixed
>Gas mileage of a corvette, slower than an S2000
Both of which are fixed with an LS swap, costing less than $5k.

A clean LS swapped RX8 would run about $12k once everything's said and done, and be an excellent car

Doritos did nothing to nobody until the renesis came along and turned out to be a pile of horse smegma

That's like hating an entire race because one nigger robbed a store man. There's other rotaries to love and restore.

>renesis a shit
>decat
>renesis no longer a shit
lovely seeing all these benchracers completely glossing over FDs melting themselves and engineswaps being pricy as fuck

LS Motor, transmission that could handle it (say used t56), swap kit would only be $5k if you get the cheapest junk yard ass motor/transmission available.

And it'd still be miles better than a renesis.

>you get the cheapest junk yard ass motor/transmission available
Much like drag racers do, who boost the everloving shit out them and make 800rwhp on factory internals for a season, throwing them in the bin when they pop.

Let me put it this way, if i had to choose between driving across country in an RX8 with an LS swap done by a literal blind man, with 330,000 miles on the engine with the advice 'just top the oil up every 2 tanks' OR a 2004 RX8 with 85,000 miles on the original engine, i would run away from the renesis screaming and suck the dick of the man offering the LS

I bought a totalled GTO (wrapped around a pole) for $5,700, kept the engine and transmission, and sold the interior and body parts that weren't destroyed, suspension, differential, wheels, etc for $2,000 total. Scrapped the chassis and got $50 for it. LS swap stuff for $3,650.

Then the car I was going to put it in got rear-ended.

Hahaha, true. Trust me, I have fixed rotary cars with v8's before, just don't like to go cheap.

OP, get one after 2007 since they got the reliability issue sorted out.

>junk yard ass motor/transmission available.
I'll take a tired junkyard piston engine with blown rings over a dogshit renesis engine any day of the year.

If you like it, get it. Ignore the Veeky Forumstists. I got one and i don't regret it. Chicks love it, triangles are cool.

Premixing isn't for keeping it from blowing up, it's to replace or supplement the oil injection system so you don't have to top off nearly as often.