American Car Industry

As a European I really ask my self what happend to the design of american cars? They used to look like pure sex in the 60-70s. Today american cars look like shit and they are like a decade behind cars from the EU or Japan.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k6Utw4E3jGM
youtube.com/watch?v=Wuj_yr2vM08
hotrod.com/articles/chevrolet-lied-stone-stock-1969-l78-396-big-block-makes-50-hp-more-than-factory-rating/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>15 years later

Roger smith, The EPA, UAW, and Ralph Nader
These combinations killed the US auto industry.

Probably because you look at shitty cars on a daily basis all around you and only see the nice ones from Europe in movies and photos. Truth is Europe has some truly disgusting looking styling on the cheaper vehicles, similar to NA.

Take our top tier vehicles and their top-tier vehicles (200k+ cars excluded; we don't make those) and it's comparable.

>heavily modified show car
>compared with a red car in the rain, from the early 90s

Well cherry picked, but you're unfortunately not wrong.

It isn't just American cars. All cars look worse these days. It's the nature of automotive culture. Now, as gearheads are dying out and only brodozers and boomer mobiles get modified, the average person doesn't care.

All little Jimmy wants when he grows up is a muscle car or a Ferrari. When he becomes a wage slave, he just wants a functional shitbox to get from A to B.

That's why everything looks bland and boring. No one cares anymore.

Those that do are a dying breed.

Well I live in Hamburg (Germany) and I look at fine german and italian cars on a daily basis.
I drive a 2013 Audi S4 and chose this car over a Camaro and a Mustang. Im a classic musclecar lover but I drove the new ones and they feel so bad. The interior really shocked me and also the handling and the breaks really sucked on bove so I bought the Audi.

I dont think so, for example car brands like Porsche or Ferrari are still Building cars who combine a modern performance with a classic design which is related to the roots of these brands.

>implying that style isn't subjective

>things are changing and I can't handle it
Every decade of car was bitched about by people who learned to drive in the decade before it

s-shut up

Modern exotics look fucking nothing like old exotics either.

the reason a certain amount of americans on Veeky Forums is so hostile toward european cars is because deep down inside, they know they are better in every way.
They can't stumach that and get mad.

American cars used to be greatest of all time
but shit went downhill really fucking fast thanks to their own lobbying trying to cuck mercedes.

Thats not at all what happened but here is your (you)

most American cars were always ugly and usually there are entire decades where rarely any decent looking cars came out

50s
70s
80s
90s
00s
10s

You really want to know? Women. Pandering to their wants and fear of potentially aggressive styling cues has led to the blandmobiles we have today. There's a reason the Sixties were the Golden Age of automotive style and it's been downhill in inverse proportion with the rise of feminism.

lmao

modern cars are the most aggressively styled ever made you retard

its why American cars are so fucking ugly
they try too hard

don't forget NAFTA and globalism.

Ford is the perfect example of this with their "one ford" policy.

as the world became "globalized", so too did consumer culture. So since companies now have fewer barriers to "free trade", they no longer need to invest in region specific vehicles as heavily, and instead can just sell the same thing everywhere with few changes.

of course, this means it has to appeal to everyone around the globe, and has to adhere to everyone's safety and environmental standards.

so in the case of the US, cars have to appeal to europe now too.

>That's why everything looks bland and boring.
Nigger I WISH everything looked bland or boring, like it did in the early 00's.

we have the opposite problem. even basic shitboxes are trying to appear "exciting" or "luxurious" and are overdesigned.

yeah and Ford is the best American car company

go figure right

>50s
>70s
>80s

thats like saying a dry turd is better than diarrhea.

sure its not as messy, but it's still shit.

fine german cars like the millions of koreamobiles and diesel skodas?

>tfw you will never start an anarcho-syndicalist group out of the remnants of the american auto industry and build cars that you actually want to drive and aren't fucked by the constant drive to make a profit off of your labor

well here's a stock 2nd gen for comparison...

>>heavily modified show car
okay, here's one that's about stock.

>Pandering to their wants and fear of potentially aggressive styling cues has led to the blandmobiles we have today.
But the Mustang was a pander to women.

Leaded gasoline leaded paints leaded pipes and no adderall or ritalin fed into them made boomers quite innovative. Then they started believing the pharmaceutical jew and became the idiots theyre now and shit out a generation of dumber idiots called millennials

this is now a 70s car appreciation thread

They are better marketed.

Riding on the German engineering quality image German brands sell crap for premium prices. built-in-obsolence makes them run 2-4 years after which they become money pits to keep on the road.

Throw away cars, that run under warranty but fall apart after.

For the French, same quality, but just a bit cheaper...cuz not from Germany.

We can forgive the Italians...They stay true to their image ...because thats how it has always been. It looks great (should) perform great, but only the first 2 years (hopefully).

In Europe they sell cars that look good perform good, but probably wont make a decade, either because it is planned to or just because its Italian.

BMW would be my favourite brand if they could built their cars as reliable/durable as their motorbikes.

Pharmaceuticals made humanity overengineer overthink over liabilize everything to the boring world that is the present

boomers didnt have much of anything to do with 60s and 70s car design

they were mostly teenagers and 20 somethings during the time

boomers made cool stuff like this

We need to start selling cocaine heroin marijuana as medicines like our forefathers intended

weed

Who do you think were the blood and sweat of the designers? Those teens and young adults.

I miss when burgerland made beautiful cars.

My take on what happened.
-smog control
-safety regulations
-79 fuel shortage
-US had compete with cheap azn imports so anything that cuts cost was implemented

Damn tragedy man.

If boomers didnt come of age cars would still look that retarded.

>Today american cars look like shit and they are like a decade behind cars from the EU or Japan.

Oh god, you mean they're gonna start putting giant fake vents on everything?

Modern American cars are ass and look like they're from 2004.

Boomers make whe worst cars

-vega
-cevette
-pacer
-pinto
-new yorker
-cutlass

Fuck boomer cars.

The price isn't right outside of North America. You don't get enough value for a car whose entire genre is about value.

Over here, where even the "luxury" brands tend to have bad interiors, they're incredibly good bang for buck.

Looks are subjective but I think that anything outside of economy cars looks pretty good nowadays. Small cars just look too silly because of pedestrian safety and other garbage regulations that make them bubbly little chodes.

That's a perfect counter-example.
Fords are way better after the globalization thing.

boomers didnt make any of those

at least not design wise unless it was a later generation of an old name

>-79 fuel shortage
It was the 1973 oil crisis that started the path of boat anchors.

What car is that?

>Audi
Have you had to work on it yet?

a piece of shit pro-tourer.
In otherwords a butchered second gen firebird.

>working on cars
If your car can be worked on as a hobby, it was under-engineered.

lol who says this. if you dont know how to work on your car then you just say you dont know wtf youre doing.

THE CAR IN OP IS A 70-73 NOT A 74-76
sry caps

>changing a lightbulb in a audi.jpg

>most American cars were always ugly and usually there are entire decades where rarely any decent looking cars came out

Found the the millennial ricer

cool it looks like a generic car of the era

not good looking really

I mean damn look at what Europe had at the time

Nigger what did you say about the cutlass

Stay assblasted busrider

Those are all cool cars user

Pinto = best old shitbox

close, was refilling my washer fluid. bulb change requires transmission removal as well.

kek

only one of those I would say are cool is the Cutlass

the others are negative on cool points

Yes because they were all malaise era economy cars.

Sigh. Honda of all brands did this.

Good god. I imagine how the Honda engineers/designers from the 80s/90s would feel about this kind of stuff.

>New Yorker
>economy

no power nontheless.

Still faster than 98% of European cars.

that thing was slower than VW hatchbacks when it was new let alone now

I dunno about that, New Yorkers were like 5000 pounds and had that shitty Lean Burn.

A 1970 New Yorker does 0-60 in 8.6 which is the same as a usdm spec TDI Golf, add at least 2 seconds for a Euro spec 1.1l diesel. They were closer to 6000 unloaded. I can tell you've never drank the sweet torque nectar from a big block V8. You euro's are always about that hp/l when it's torque that matters.

>the handling and the breaks really sucked
How do they do it? how does the Camaro even do it with sucky brakes and bad handling? is BMW just bad?

>1970 New Yorker

cool

completely irrelevant car since thats not what we are talking about

still only barely faster than a 1970s 100hp VW that isnt complete shit in every way like a New Yorker

>Americans belive this

Kek

yeah he was a fan of "classic" muscle cars which couldn't brake, handle, or turn. Go fast in a straight line was the motto then.
And I could understand this statement if he had driven a smog era muscle car, but clearly the american muscle cars of this era are exceptional for what they are made to do. Go fast for cheap, maybe someone can source the $ per HP but I always remember the camaro and mustang being right at the top of the list and with the challenger reinvented this past decade it should be there also. The interiors, brakes, and handling also have improved alot, and the good thing about GM's is the huge aftermarket if you want to upgrade any part.

>I can tell you've never drank the sweet torque nectar from a big block V8
As if. You can't deny it. The New Yorker wasn't a fast car.
It was at home in NY.

It's fast compared to a 70hp modern euro diesel with a 16 second 0-60 time.

You're talking as if New Yorkers had more than 170hp.

Faster is relative. Fast is not an adjective that works with a New Yorker. Chrysler tuned it specifically to not be fast.

I'm well aware, the only 2 cars I own are 1979 trans ams. 74-75 are my favorite, 76 had the same header panel on the nose but the bottom was different, like a transition into the 1977-78 style. 79-81 are honestly the ugliest of the bunch but they're the cheapest. All I said was that it was a stock 2nd gen, and the blue on pictured actually has a de-stroker crank among other work and at one point had 180 degree headers (so hardly stock). Gorgeous car though.

Skylines only have 280hp right? VW's are clean right? It's called lying to meet regulations and standards. There's countless video's and dyno charts of 1970's engines making big power with the emission bullshit removed. 200hp from 8 liters and 200hp from 2 liters are completely different things.

The Yorker is designed to be a slow boat and yet it's still faster than even modern euro cars. You guys really can't call anybody's engineering shit when you haven't even caught up to old ass land yachts performance wise..

hey now they made 200 hp from a 7.2 L V8 that gets 10 mpg and runs slower than a VW Rabbit give em a break lmao

during the same time Europe was making over 300hp from a 5.3L V8 with emissions lmao

>with the emission bullshit removed.
well that's the keyword, but they still had Dog motors like a 400 or a 440 with a small cam.

By the time you get a New Yorker to make power you don't have an original engine anymore and in some cases the emissions equipment was beneficial, like the charcoal canisters.

>You guys really can't call anybody's engineering shit when
again, i'm not european, and i have a big block Chrysler engine i'm going to start building soon.
I know the Chrysler logic of the 70's bro.

It's a shame when in 6 years engines went from making almost 400 net hp and smoking tires to barely cracking 200 in some cases.

that yacht is 100x the car that the rabbit is

>400 net

you mean gross

hardly anything was making near 400 net

100x the weight maybe
and its too awful to be a yacht its more like a barge

this is a yacht of the time

kek. A jag V12 can't even crack 300hp. And that's when/if you can get it to run at full power because britishengineeringlol. Meanwhile highschool kids were building 500hp GM 5.7's in their garage.

>you mean gross
No i don't. Gross ratings were usually above 400 for big block cars.
Net horsepower for Chrysler's killer, 440 six pack was about 390.
Who knows what the Hemi made, it was rated at gross but underrated for the insurance companies at the same time and i doubt none exist that are stock anymore.

sorry Im talking facts not your retarded shit

no lol 440 was 390 gross

Hemis only made around 325-350 net

>no lol 440 was 390 gross
wrong.
Keep in mind in 1971 these engines were underrated.

nah they were overrated if anything

330 isnt close to 400 either lmao

thanks for proving me right

Just wondering what you were doing did the car jump time snapped guides or just mods

It's not that bad the worst of the worst just require bumper removal but then again easy to say when you work on the dam things day in day out

youtube.com/watch?v=k6Utw4E3jGM
almost all engines in the muscle car era were way underrated

You sound old like me!

youtube.com/watch?v=Wuj_yr2vM08
another example

You guys are all forgetting the biggest reason: Safety and sales.

Sports cars aren't very popular here in the U.S, so most affordable performance cars besides the Mustang and Camaro are based on existing, high sales volume family vehicles. These models live and die on crash test ratings and have to meet government safety standards that are more strict than Japan or Europe, Thick A pillars and massive crumple zones are the norm. All Fiesta ST's begin life as a Fiesta. You will never see a hot hatch or lightweight RWD performance coupe like the 3-Series designed from the ground up come out of the USA. The market doesn't want it and we're too busy catering to Crossover and SUV buyers to cater to enthusiasts.

>dyno exhaust
>headers
>open air cleaner
>no accessories
>rebuilt
>stock

nope lol

most of those old cars ran what they should have

lets take a looksy here

a 1971 Super Bee with a Hemi ran 13.7 @ 104
your chart shows 350 hp and the car weighed 4100 lbs curb

lets say you got a 160 lb driver in there

judging by the numbers the car should have around 350 hp NET

I will stick with real world results not dynos

oh look another not stock engine and still gross ratings like above

hotrod.com/articles/chevrolet-lied-stone-stock-1969-l78-396-big-block-makes-50-hp-more-than-factory-rating/

Stay salty. I'd be embarrassed too if 1960's engines were outperforming modern engines. You're delusional if you think a alternator makes a difference in power output on a 7 liter engine. We aren't talking 0.7l diesels here.

>nah they were overrated if anything
No, they weren't.
It's hard to prove actual real horsepower as well because
A: dynos never run with fans on even if they have other accessories, or if they do it still gives a fraudulent reading.
B. I'd wager only a handful of muscle era engines are stock anymore either.

>judging by the numbers the car should have around 350 hp NET
What you're forgetting is 3, or at best 4 gear transmissions and bias tires with a light ass.
There's a reason the 1/4 time is always way worse than the 0-60 lets on.

>a fan delete gives you +200hp
wew

>I'd wager only a handful of muscle era engines are stock anymore either.

I take it you've never seen a Barrett Jackson or Mecum auction before.

both of the engines i linked had stock headers

oh and your judging by 1/4 mile times with ancient tire design and an engine with a small bore over will only make maybe 5 more hp its built to be factory stock

another not stock engine

sorry pal you just keep losing

lmao the times arent as important as the MPH pal

if you knew a single fuck about drag times youd know this

>people bitching about tires as usual
>F.A.S.T. drag cars run 9s on Bias ply 60s style tires

goddamn ignorant fucks lmao