Can you guys please explain to me how to drive a manual car as if I'm 5 years old?

Can you guys please explain to me how to drive a manual car as if I'm 5 years old?

Mostly about when to change gears without having to rely on sound.

Change gears at 3k rpm

Can you be a little more detailed than that?

Change gears to what? What gear do I start at?

can't tell if serious...

I'm very serious.

I want to learn to drive manual, but I seriously cannot find anything online that actually tells me how to do so.

You are either bait or you haven't looked at all. Or you are just dumb as shit.

I'll take the bait.

You push the clutch in all the way with your left foot. You then start the car. After that, you push the clutch in all the way and shift into 1st gear. You then slowly release the clutch and apply gas.

After that, you start to move. If you are not racing, so pretty much 99.9% of the time, you shift between 2k and 3k RPM.

>Mostly about when to change gears without having to rely on sound.

each gear will have a sweet spot in the rev range where acceleration will feel the greatest. change gears when you know the next gear will accelerate better than your current gear.

user, that's literally what I've been reading everywhere. I don't care about the clutch thing, I know how that works.

What I don't know, is WHEN TO CHANGE GEARS. When do I move up a gear? When do I move down?

>pretty much 99.9% of the time, you shift between 2k and 3k RPM.

This literally doesn't help me understand how manual works at all.

Getting started:
>Clutch in
>Turn car on
>Move gear lever to neutral
>Clutch out
>Clutch in
>move gear lever to 1st
>Let clutch out
>Once you reach 'bite' point on clutch (it's hard to describe with words what that feels like, you really have to be in the car to understand this part) Slowly apply throttle

Tip: In higher horsepower/torque cars, learning to drive stick tends to be easier. You can slowly let out the clutch without applying any throttle and get yourself moving.

On the road:
>Accelerate in 1st
>Change gears depending on how fast you want to accelerate

for instance, when I'm driving to school and driving normally, I shift from first to second at about 3000-3500

when I'm driving for fun, I shift around 4-5K

when I'm racing, I shift at redline

it's pretty much however you feel. You can let your car rev out if you want, or you can conserve your gas. There's no 'set' RPM to shift at.

>There's no 'set' RPM to shift at.

Then what's the fucking point of driving a manual car? Just so you can hold onto a piece of plastic and move it around?

No seriously what the actual fuck. And what happens when you reach 5th gear or whatever? Do you just go back down to 4th, 3rd, etc.?

Jesus fuck you are an idiot.

I understood how to drive a manual at fucking 12.

YOU UP AT 2-3K RPM

YOU SHIFT DOWN ONCE YOU DIP BELOW 1K

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

WHY DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND

FUCKING FINALLY HOLY SHIT

THAT'S WHAT I FUCKING WANTED TO KNOW

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

You are so fucking dumb

You drive a manual so you have more control of the car and to have fun.

When you reach the top gear, your engine won't have enough torque to reach redline in that gear. At least I have never reached redline in final drive.

This is all you actually need to know. Everything else is practice.

>Jesus fuck you are an idiot.
no fuck you. help these idiots not be idiots and normies. guide them.

well, you start in neutral, where you can move the stick freely as it is not in gear.
Then you press the clutch (right most pedal) in and put the stick into first gear, then you give it a bit of gas as you let up on the clutch, you should start to feel a bit of tension, not a lot but the clutch will start pressing back a bit and the rpms will dip, once that happens give it a little more gas slowly as you continue to let out the clutch and apply gas at about the same rate. You will know you've done it once you have the clutch all the way out and you can freely apply gas as needed.

all other gears follow this pattern (except revers, I'll get to that after this) of actions. Once you hit about 3k rpm you will notice you don't get as much acceleration and this is where you should shift up. Let up off the gas and put the clutch in, then put it into the next gear (i'll be using 2 but it works the same all the way up). after that you begin to let the clutch out while giving it a bit of gas, you'll feel it catch again like in first gear but it won't feel as strong of a catch like in first as you are already going forward. Once you feel it catch you proceed to let the clutch out while giving it more gas much like in 1st gear.

now for reverse, it is basically the same as 1st, but you never really go all the way into reverse gear most of the time. For reverse you do the same let out the clutch until you feel tension. but instead of applying gas and letting out the clutch you just give it short bits of gas so that you start moving, but are mostly coasting. From there you apply gas in short bits as needed to keep going in the direction you want.

You really don't get the point of owning a manual until you own one.

Driving a manual is about control.

In an automatic, when I'm trying to overtake, I press on the gas pedal, and then I have to wait for the automatic transmission to drop a gear or two, and then I get my power.

In a manual, when I'm going to overtake, I can drop into the gear I want, or even drop 2-3 gears, and I get immediate acceleration.

It's about control, if that's not something you need in a car, there's no reason to get yourself frustrated over this. If you're looking to really feel connected to your car, and have instant feedback and acceleration, you should go for the manual

and now a days, you can get all the benefits of a manual with a double clutch, without any of the skill/thought involved, perfect for retards like you

>tfw a massive fucking idiot like OP can spur anons into providing in depth and helpful comments

Veeky Forums is weird

He gave an incredibly simplistic answer, it depends on how much power your car has, torque etc. For "normal" driving 2-3k is fine, 4-5k if you want to go a bit faster and 5k+ if you're just hauling ass. Keep in mind that you should never floor it in higher gears and instead downshift until you're at 3-4k if you want power.

For downshifting you'd do that around 1k if you're slowing down but not enough to stop (seriously popping it in neutral is fine if you're 100% stopping) but downshifting for power is another matter:

Let's say you're in 3rd gear at 3k rpm, if you upshifted you'd be at 2k in 4th and if you downshifted you'd be at 4k in 2nd. (numbers vary on a lot of factors). Anyway, if you wanted to shift from 3rd to 2nd and just put it in 2nd, you'd jerk the everloving fuck out of your car and damage/put a ton of strain on a lot of components and possibly lose control. Instead you'd do that:
1. Depress clutch completely
2. Bring the revs up with the clutch in to 4k or whatever the revs in the lower gear would be (yes, do this with the clutch still completely pressed in) - you'll remember and be able to guess over time
3. Move the stick to 2nd or whatever gear (try not to swap the order with #2)
4. Let clutch out

When you do it enough you'll be able to do all of the steps in one fluid motion by blipping the gas in #2 with a certain amount of force, but for now it's okay if it takes you a little bit to get the revs right while you still have the clutch pressed in. Applying the logic backwards is also you upshift smoothly, in the above example you'd press the clutch in and time it so the revs fall to 2k by the time you put the stick in 4th and let the clutch out
Every single explanation of rev matching to downshift is awful so I hope this helps

I do like the control, but I drive manual primarily because it's fun and engaging
I like helping, nobody is spurring me into doing anything

Also OP or whoever else cares, two terms I'd like to explain briefly.
Double clutching: when you shift to neutral, let the clutch out and then put the clutch back in and shift to gear instead of shifting normally. It saves some wear on the synchros but unless you're driving an unsynchronized truck from the 60s it's pretty much pointless; barely saves any wear at all (especially if you know how to rev match correctly), takes far more effort and a LOT more time than shifting normally

Heel-toeing: basically doing those four steps to rev-match downshift while braking (one foot hits the gas and brakes at the same time); the purpose is to keep you in the powerband while you slow down for a corner but at best it'll be occasionally convenient if you practiced enough for the muscle memory. Outside of racing it's not really necessary because you can just downshift before or after you brake. It's a harder form of the hardest thing about learning to drive manual (downshift rev matching) and shouldn't even be considered until you can rev-match downshifts perfectly

Going to save these posts somewhere for future copy paste purposes anyway and fix them up a bit

how does the clutch work beyond 1st gear and why am I not burning it off (or at least I think Im not) when I change gears at high RPMs?

You just leave it in gear, then take it out when you stop.

Just buy a car with a really tall first gear and drive it in first.

So, a drag racer?

clutch in
VRRROOOOM
First gear
clutch out
vroooooooom
clutch in
second gear
clutch out
vroooooom
... repeat

>In an automatic, when I'm trying to overtake, I press on the gas pedal, and then I have to wait for the automatic transmission to drop a gear or two, and then I get my power.
>slam gas pedal
>car shifts into first gear immediately
>rocket forwards as everyone gets scared of the sudden loud noise

>Can you guys please explain to me how to drive a manual car as if I'm 5 years old?

You have to wait till you're grown up, little Timmy. Children can't drive.

lel

If there were a set RPM to shift at, it could be done mechanically and there wouldn't be any point to manual transmissions in the first place.

Is it bad to just dump the clutch at 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 ? Also what's the proper racing technique - dumping the clutch and getting back on gas faster, or slowly letting it out?

>This literally doesn't help me understand how manual works at all.
The car will tell you when to change gear. If you feel like the engine is being uncomfortably loud or the car is jerking, change up. If you feel like the engine is struggling to keep the car moving or you need to slow down for something, change down.

>americans