How do I:

How do I:

A) improve my memory significantly
B) make friends that are useful to me
And C) Learn to learn better

I want to do this year but I don't know how to get started.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/How-Read-Book-Intelligent-Touchstone/dp/0671212095
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Safest way to improve your brain function is to take fish oil daily. Cod liver oil is good, salmon oil is better. Keep that shit refrigerated.

Dietary fats are very important for the brain.
Basically, you need to cut vegetable oil, margarine, and trans fats out of your diet. They are poison.

You can still eat hamburgers and fries and such, but you'll have to make them yourself using natural fats, like grass-fed dairy butter, coconut oil, and olive oil. Out of all these, olive oil is the safest and the cheapest. Just don't fry with it at high temperatures - burnt or rancid fat of any kind is unhealthy.

The kind of fat you find in eggs, meat, fish, olives and avocadoes is perfectly healthy. Don't ever waste time on fat free anything.

You should also improve your sleep. Allocate at least 8 hours, make sure the lights were dim for hours before that, use redshift or f.lux on your laptop, and take some magnesium citrate with a fat source just before you go to sleep, e.g. buttered toast or some olives.

That's enough to get you started.

Further subjects for research:
Fat soluble versus water soluble nutrients (fr example, magnesium is fat soluble, can't be absorbed any other way, which is one reason you need to eat good fat)
HDL versus LDL cholesterol
Diet and testosterone
Testosterone and brain function
Estrogenic versus androgenic foods

I'd break down A-C but most of them are answered the same way -

>1.)
Improve your work ethic, memorization is easy if you're constantly teaching yourself something daily. Memory stagnates if all you do is play vidya abd watch anime.

Work Ethic directly translates into people having a better opinion of you, making it easier to befriend useful people you work around.

And if you're constantly learning, you "learn" to learn by constantly practicing.

Best way to accomplish this is reading non-fiction habitually. I personally read at minimum a chapter a day of whatever novel I'm reading (usually average 3-5 chapters throughout a day depending on free time/boredom). Generally I focus my book-learning to economics, psychology, and linguistics because I find all three fascinating.

>2.)
The required skills for an amazing life (more specifically with making useful allies/friends) are as follows:
- Public Speaking
Public Speaking is one of the greatest things for a person to even be considered okay at. If you can present without fluency breaks (saying "uhhh" or "like") a lot of people will genuinely be impressed by you.
(Read: "The Exceptional Presenter" - basically a great how-to guide on perfecting your ability to speak, and how to look like a bad ass doing it)
- Influencing Others
Other half of life in terms of dealing with humans is the art of influence. You have to understand how to get people to do what you want through mutual interest and not your own selfish interest.
(Recommend: "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie, amazing book that outlines everything someone needs to adapt to the world as a sociable normie.)
(Continued in next post)

>3.)
Form. Good. Fucking. Habits. (And lose your bad habits)

This is a lot simpler and wide-spread than you'd think, but good habits are key to fostering everything from your daily motivation to get shit done to improving your skills at socialization and intelligence.

Always start out small, you have to do something for a minimum of 20 days in a row (without stopping) for it to start to become habitual in manner.

I recommend something easy-tier, like:
>Making your bed every morning
(gives you a small sense of cleanliness right after waking up, along with being an auto-pilot kinda activity to help ease you into waking up)
>Reading 20 minutes a night before going to sleep
Easy to accomplish, and often helps you sleep better by taking your mind off the day. (Plus the old belief that learning before bed is one of the best times to do so)
> Take a multi-vitamin every morning with a full breakfast
You will feel 20x better throughout the day if you do this daily. We all kinda forget being kids where they pushed the whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" meme, but it's actually true. Eating a balanced breakfast (I usually have eggs, toast, and a bowl of healthy cereal) gives you a fuck load of energy you wouldn't have if you don't eat breakfast. The multivitamin will also make you healthier over time because everyone is missing something in their diet. (Being healthy = accomplishing all three of your goals easily)
Once you have a couple of habits like that down, you just build on them with more/harder habits like
>working out 4-5 times weekly
>eating 3 full meals a day
>reading a novel a week
>reading every chapter in a book twice (finish ch 1, repeat ch 1, finish 2, repeat 2; personally learned this in highschool, it's always stuck with me now after years of doing it and I feel i understand what I read far better as a result)
>perfecting a hobby
>learning languages

Tldr -
Habits are the basis of life. Get good habits, get a good life.

To be more specific is there a program or a set list of steps I can take to improve memory?

I've noticed I remember close to 0% of what I read. Ill read it but nothing will stay. Should I basically jot down notes after every chapter or whatever and review what I understood?

Ill do the rest of these things senpai, thank you.

Seems routine is truly the heartbeat of a successful life.

So strange I came first time to Veeky Forums and I see this thread at the moment of my life when I made a decision to make my life better. Cut out all the bad habits and bad people from my life and continue , now with 100% focus, on improving myself and my knowledge.

Thanks anons for tips, although I already know what and how to do it is very helpful to see this written down.

I've always found I remember things a lot more if I'm genuinely interested in them.

But if you want to condition your brain to memorize more - writing down what you've learned after a chapter might work, or the way I do it by just reading every chapter twice also helps a ton. Read through the chapter at a normal pace, then reread it at a slow pace carefully analyzing each section.

It also helps if you summarize your lessons to another person (Just had an idea to improve the quality of this board, everytime you learn something new, post it here on Veeky Forums. Teaching leads to great learning)

Also, do what
Said. All memory is dependent on a healthy brain, so get those 8 hours (nobody does anything that important besides useless shit like vidya at 12 a.m onward. Get to bed from 11-12 and sleep till 8 a.m. If that isn't possible because of an early schedule, push back the time you go to sleep to make sure you can sleep.

Eat healthy. Take your damn vitamins and a couple supplements (A men's daily multivitamin, fish oil, etc.). Your brain needs them bad

it's not strange at all, it's the new year, everyone's making resolutions at the same time and none of you are going to last a month

>A men's daily multivitamin
Is there a known name for this product or there are many brands?

Not me sir

The brand I take is literally called "One a Day Men's Multivitamin"

But there are a fuck ton of brands, all of them work, but I prefer brands made by Bayer just because they've been around forever

Thank you user

If you set yourself up to fail, you'll fail.

I love this time of year just because people are genuinely realizing they want to improve themselves. If they start with small goals, they'll suceed over time.

Don't think of them as new year's resolutions, just new parts of your life.

I've already given my speech, but for C., I'd advise asking questions. Most people don't.

Ask many different people the same question and then use the answers as a basis for further inquiries.

>Write shit down more and train recall
>Read social self help books & move to where wealthy/powerful people live
>Spaced repetition + Feynman learning technique

Thanks boys good stuff itt

There are nootropics which can help your memory. Look at them on google or reddit.

Also, take up meditating. Use Headspace, it's what I have.

Also, look up visual memory. You can create retarded patterns with images in your head. Memory Palace, etc, are an example.

There's a good book on making friends and influencing people, look up
How to win friends and influence people
as for the other two points, i dont have much for you but im sure a good look around google will help out

Which nootropics arent memes?

Well I like MindNutrition, which should have a US store. Look up their formulas, and the active ingredients, read about them. I do suggest using r/nootropics too, a lot of good discussion there.

Totally but I understood that most of this stuff seems placebo or totally unfounded information... really just seems like a cashgrab to sell this stuff.

Maybe I'm wrong though

>B) make friends that are useful to me
Be useful to other people (NOT by letting them take advantage of you) and you'll find that they'll be willing to be useful for you as well. Don't pretend to be some edgelord sociopath and try to weave a web of manipulation around people to get them to do your bidding.

>C) Learn to learn better
Learn how to read a book. And I mean actually read a book and digest it until you not only can recite from memory what the book was about, but you fully understand the author's motivations for writing it, can determine if you agree or disagree with what he wrote, and if you agree, determine the significance of the book's content and how it can impact you directly.

How can I do the second part?

for non-memers, "loop - habit tracker" is a great, free app for android with some good info in the faq. "the power of habit" by charles duhigg is a good book on the subject and you can get away with reading a few summaries of it (better to read the whole thing, but summaries are better than nothing). jordan peterson covers habitual behavior in some of his maps of meaning lectures, in particular the very important concept that you can't break old habits, you have to build a new habit to suppress the old habit (he also covers contextual triggers, which are really important to understand). "how to stop screwing yourself over" by mel robbins contains some useful information too, if you can get past the fluffy TEDx delivery.

if you actually want to change your life be aware that it will take a long time (years). make small changes to achieve incremental improvements. big, sweeping changes will come crashing down in a manner of weeks. long-term consistency is key.

I'm not going to take expensive drugs which don't do shit or actively harm you. There is a wealth of information regarding clinical studies in scientific journals if you look at r/nootropics

Read this (inb4 >reading a book to learn how to read a book)

amazon.com/How-Read-Book-Intelligent-Touchstone/dp/0671212095

Ty

Ok I will, but just like some shit turned out to work well... but too well. One of them caused withdrawal symptoms didn't it?(can't recall name)

Most of the others seemed to lack sufficient empirical evidence. Although this was a number of years ago, when I looked into it.

Piracetam has studies going back to the '60s.

New to Veeky Forums and found this thread, awesome.

I'm trying to fix up for 2017 and cut bullshit out. Is vidya worth cutting out? It distracts me from exercising a lot.

What else are little things to do while at home to make me feel productive? I only feel productive when exercising really. I want to get into investing and shit but have no idea where to start.

Any advice is appreciated fellas

>New to Veeky Forums and found this thread, awesome.
>I'm trying to fix up for 2017 and cut bullshit out. Is vidya worth cutting out? It distracts me from exercising a lot.
Definitely. Videogames are a total waste of time.

Take modafinil

>tfw hard to get in my country

I take men's centrum, i think it's cheaper than what that other user suggested but maybe not

it also has iron which i don't get enough of, again i don't know if the other user's suggestion has iron since i've never used it