Tfw when comparing costs of charging your electric car at home to filling with gas and realizing that...

>tfw when comparing costs of charging your electric car at home to filling with gas and realizing that, unless you live next to one of those free charging stations, the costs of charging your car are almost as expensive as gas for an efficient gas or diesel car:

Stolen from somebody else:
>Battery Size (kWh) * Electricity Price (currency/kWh) / Charging Efficiency = cost.
>Example:
>85 kWh car (80kWh usable)
>Charging efficiency - 95% at 220V/40A; 70% at 110V/15A
>Florida electricity price: $0.11/kWh
>Cost to charge the car from empty to full = $9-$13
>80 * 0.11 / 0.95 = $9.26
>80 * 0.11 / 0.7 = $12.57

Now, given you may get about 3 miles per kWh on average, that's about 240 miles for ~$13.

Compare that to 240miles / 35mpg = 6.86 gal * $2.8/gal = $19.21.

So if you're charging the car with your own electricity in Florida, you're looking at about $13 for 240 miles for an electric car, compared to around $20 for 240 miles in a reasonably efficient gas car.

Let's say however, we want to compare it to a really efficient diesel. 240 miles / 45mpg = 5.33 gal * $3/gal = $15.99.

So at best, you're saving $5 - $10 per fill, at worst, barely a few.

And I realize this is a decent saving, but nothing compared to the almost no-running-cost outside of maintenance ownership that electric car manufacturers espouse.

Also bear in mind that you have to fill up enough times saving about $3 each time until you can make up for the $1,000's of dollars more you spent getting an electric equivalent to a diesel or gas car. Plus you'll probably need a second car because of the pissshit driving range.

Same here in Germany, except that both electricity and fuel are more expensive.

>electric car costs as much per mile to charge up as an efficient diesel costs to refuel
>electric car has the same carbon footprint as a conventional car because the nuclear scare since Fukushima has caused a short term surge in coal generated electricity because renewable energies can't even remotely satisfy demand yet

Literally some of the most retarded energy policies on the entire planet.

congrats

you figured out that electric cars are just a rich person meme

Buy a fucking bicycle if you want to save money on gas. Otherwise, most electric/hybrid shit is a meme that never pays for itself.

The only way to win the automotive running costs game is simply not to play.

>try $2.10 a gallon for gas
>add in battery replacement cost every 7 years
>add in having to literally revolve your life around charging every 100 miles
>calculate having to rent a car to travel and medium to long distance
>calculate kw/h prices fucking skyrocketing if electric cars take off
Add those and it looks even worse.

except any car that gets consistently 35mpg will be boring as fuck to drive by default, either a really boring prius or a really boring shitbox

electrics can be much more powerful for roughly the same fuel cost

Sporty turbo diesels are arguably more fun to drive than hypermileing gasoline cars. If you get a fairly sporty model, you can get bucket loads of torque, usually paired to a 6speed transmission. At that point it's just a matter of how you drive. Much like with an electric car, if you drive it sporty all the time, the efficiency disappears.

>any car that gets consistently 35mpg will be boring as fuck to drive by default, either a really boring prius or a really boring shitbox
There's plenty of amazing to drive (ie manual, no power steering) and dirt cheap shitboxes to chose from in europe with high mpg / l/100km

>ride a motorcycle
>no longer boring
>best mpg you can get

>Die

Many electric companies have special rates you can apply for if you own an electric vehicle, I'm not sure if any Florida utility companies do yet. In California both SCE & PGE have lower rates for electric vehicle charging.

Do also remember many utility companies have time of use rates, so charging your car at night may be more expensive than charging during the day.

>just don't go to work so you can save money charging your car during the day

If you live in a shithole like Arizona and have solar, then it's probably worth it.

>completely bypassing the point of an electric car
>being this retarded

what IS the point of having an electric car then?

To be a smug dickhead

>sv650
>55+mpg
>beat any car off the light
carfags on suicide watch

Oh, the ironing.

that's because europeans have normalized tiny totally gutless engines, 11 seconds to 60 is acceptable over there

>70% at 110v
Americans BTFO. Seriously, when will you move to a superior standard?

>Be in the EU
>Get free charging
>Get massive subsidies when buying an electric car
>Get massive tax breaks when buying an electric car
And they're still not competitive. I wonder why.

>Charging efficiency - 95% at 220V/40A; 70% at 110V/15A

Every home has a 220 single phase receptacle or can add one.

If even 30% of people daily drove a scooter or motorcycle it would solve so many problems.

I can't, my welder has been sitting under a tarp for years because no electrician will touch my shit for less than several thou

Not to mention rentals and apartments...

Diesels literally choke kids tho

None of that is true, autismo. Norway does EV subsidies right and Tesla is selling like hot cakes there.

>Electric cars have batteries that only last 8 (teslas)(Bmws work for 20 but have no power) years and are built in with the axes, so you cant replace them easily.
>It hurts the environment more if you use electrical cars,because 1. electrical cars need more energy to run 2. most electricity is still made by power plants and coal power stations, not renewable energy sources.

Your country is so retarded about nuclear energy

>ride a motorcycle
>no longer boring

so fucking true.

I own two cars and a motorcycle.

Instead of saving pennies I prefer to drive/ride like a normal person, w/o thinking much about mileage and stuff.

>be "100% renewable" by selling the energy made by powerplants to other countries and in return buy their energy made by powerplants
>build many wind turbines that are costly to operate somewhere on the ocean
>hand everyone some money if they build solar pannels
>lend 70k€ if somebody builds his house with A-A+ energy efficiency
>decrease taxes for companies and factories that use an aweful lot of energy
>raise the whole electricity price while worldwide it gets cheaper and cheaper
>china hired samsung to rebuild their containerships into coal transporters for worldwide transportation
>you are now 100% renewable great job haha!

>Oh, the ironing

I live in Texas and I don't believe society here could handle that if they tried. People don't work locally, they all commute long distances to get to their jobs. Technically it doesn't cost that much to get to and from work - a teacher friend of mine commutes about 14400~ miles a year. At 25MPG when gas is $2.10/gallon, it costs about $1200 a year to get to and from work. Adding MPG only decreases that cost to the tune of a few hundred a year and is barely worth considering since even at 45mpg that fuel cost only hits like $670~

Other costs to consider such as car payments/insurance/maintenance are a different ball game, but it usually only amounts to between $5000-8000 a year. Shitbox drivers can skip the payments and get down to like $600/year for insurance and whatnot.

The real costs here are the time costs. I can't imagine not getting paid for 2 hours a day worth of commute time. That seems rather asinine to me. Working 8+ hours a day is already very foolish in my eyes, tacking on extra time that isn't paid is actually retarded. I believe in free time more than I do in money, but I'm spoiled since the last job I held for 5 years was one I could walk to, paid my room and board, had benefits, and paid very well for what it was. Not military either.

People are just bad with money and that's the long and short of it. A small amount of math and logic goes a long way to identifying why you're poor even when you should be making decent money.

This. I lived downtown and walked to my job for years, even though I had to rent a parking spot to have a car. Now i work from home. I don't get people who spend hours commuting, if you pay me enough to make me do that you pay me enough I'll move closer.

All that said I still can't understand why lane splitting is illegal almost everywhere. I seriously might eat a commute in Calif just for that reason