Implying they don't look better painted

>implying they don't look better painted

they probably had a better paintjob though

I imagine they would look fairly lifelike

That is the 'better paintjob'.

These are the trace colors that survived, so a lot of articles show it as what the statues 'really looked like'. Most people that study it though think that these are just the base colors that were painted over in other layers for shading and such.

The first picture is what the statue likely looked like.

>implying they don't look better photoshopped

considering dyes and paints were considered extreme luxuries, I would be damn impressed at the time that there was so much money that the state could afford to paint their statues.

it'd be the equivalent to monuments and statutes today being plated in platinum and laced with emeralds and other gems.

>I would be darn impressed if the Emperors of the fucking richest Empire in the history of the Universe could afford to paint fucking statues of themselves

user, I...

>That is the 'better paintjob' that the restaurators could manage
FTFY
Just like you can't expect even the best restaurator to recreate the works of Praxiteles and Phidias, don't expect them to manage to paint statues as well as the ancient masters did.

>considering dyes and paints were considered extreme luxuries
Only certain colours like tyrian purple were considered luxuries user, don't go full retard on us.

no think about it, in the eyes of any foreigner or townsperson, they've never seen painted anything in their local city in, say, Cappadocia. It took a year's wages just to be able to dye a section of your robes red, one of the cheaper dyes on the market.

Walk into rome and you see that the fucking statutes have Tyrian Purple, blues, greens, and reds, it would be a stunning sight to see so much wealth on their fucking public works projects and not even on a person's own clothing.

/pol/ is your home board isn't it?

Oh God it looks like a statue from the botanica.
>cannot unsee Catholic paganism.

>It took a year's wages just to be able to dye a section of your robes red

doubt.png

They remind me of catholic statues and in a way, them being painted makes sense.

Yep, massive doubt. I'm not a master dyer but i know dyes can be made from certain plants, flowers and roots. I don't think dying some cloth red would be very difficult if you had a basic understanding of plants, and some spare time.

You may have a problem then.

not to mention this was a time when something like this would be seen as near lifelike and blow people away.

Post original (unrestored) painted statues.

Ayy

They don't.

I was completely disappointed when I learned statues were painted. It was feathered dinosaurs all over again.

>That shape of the head
Wuz he a kang?

Metal as fuck

Roman era mummy paintings in Egypt make me doubt the "cartoon colors" reproductions of what painted statuary would have looked like.

If, for reasons of fashion, they in fact used those colors, it had nothign to do with "that's the only a full pallet of colors, as seen ere and in things like murals in Pompeii.

Mummy portraits from Roman Egypt are a pretty fucking unique example of more-or-less naturalistic portrait paintings surviving from the classical era, and a fascinating chance to see the faces of some ancient people.

They had paints m80 it wasn't like it was diamond dust and unicorn tears

Thats a pretty good flesh tone

> Wow dude, that is one great scuplture; I really love how you incorporated allegory and various humanist themes into its form
> It'll look even better after my retarded son is finished painting over it in the primary-colour style he was taught in his fine arts degree.

It's stupid to think that they'd do it in such a slap-dash manner, when we have preserved Roman frescoes and paintings.

looks like shit

I don't understand what everyone's complaining about. It looks fine, especially compared to . What do they think it's supposed to look like?

they look Hispanic and Middle-Eastern

looks like a walt disney character

Gee portraits from egypt look middle eastern? Who could've guessed....

>Who could've guessed
Not black americans

they look shit because they have been painted by "historians" and not actual artists who know anything about color composition

AYO MANE

>actual artists who know anything about color composition
Whose color composition? Modern artists?

You look up fucking Byzantine paintings of Roman armor and its a riot of colors.

This.

"WE WUZ ROMANS"-snowniggers can get fucked

People painted things red since the neolithic

they don't

he looks uncanny and shitty. like some second hand Disney attraction

He probably talks about the glorious Tyre purple that was actually closer to red than modern purple. You needed like tens of thousands of shells to dye a single piece.

Why do they all look so young? Did they paint these portraits when the subject was in their prime? Or were they done post mortem? I can't imagine someone had their child painted in case it might die prematurely.

A lot of people died young. Then again they're pretty idealized pictures, as you can see with the eyes.

Is there something that DOESN'T trigger STEMlords nowadays?

they're probably rich/middle class people who had their portaits painted at around 30-45 in anticipation of death