Is there a way to recover from understeer like you can with oversteer or are some tire shops just outright retarded?

is there a way to recover from understeer like you can with oversteer or are some tire shops just outright retarded?

i got new tires on the rear of my car while the fronts are at 5/32 and now i keep understeering in some corners since the fronts are now the first to give in a cornering situation

Just replace all your tires at once and rotate them every once in a while.

just put a new one on the front and another on the rear homie

Only understeer recovery i know of is to use the brake a little, like left foot braking. Also the more you steer, the more you understeer. Keep wheels straight to recover traction, or use the clutch.
Also put rear tires on the front. In the garage I work in we always put less worn tires in the front if the vehicle is fwd. Your shop must literally want your death.

different section widths between front and back with both having 45 sidewalls and i ain't boutta fuck up my viscous lsd
had to replace the rears since a nail skewed into the sidewall on the left rear.....didn't have $775 to blow on a full set of S04's

unteersteer - crank the wheel harder in the direction you want to go in and pin it

You can always trailbrake entering the corner, this way your rear may get a little bit loose and "fix" your understeer problem.
In mid corner, you can tap the brake or lift off the throttle, just remember to give it less steering input and be gentle while accelerating.

You lift off the throttle
Assuming you're in an FF
If you understeer in an FR with good traction then you need better suspension
If it still happens with better suspension then your chassis isn't stiff enough to handle cornering at that speed.
Left foot breaking is only effective in mid-engined cars where you want to slow down but lifting off would force you to use extra breaking to avoid losing traction.
It's also useful if your engine only produces power at very high rpm and you want to stay in the powerband while slowing down, although it's just more effective to use the clutch for this.

trail brakin

without the brake? no. brake

How the hell does rotating tyres work, they basically spend all day rotating at a much higher speed

well satan, it's a good idea to have them rotating without road forces acting on them. that way you know they're balanced breddy gud when they have to hold your shitheap up when you roll over 2,000 yaer old cobblestone.

Learn how to Scandi flick.

If you have rear drums (better grab) and a hand (as opposed to a foot operated parking) brake, pulling it gently (not all the way) will activate your rear brakes, allowing your front end to pivot in the direction you're turning. Or you could just Scandi Flick like I said before.

>Balanced breddy good

the flick is your best option.

Ideally you want to jerk the wheel in the direction of your turn as your chassis shifts forward due to braking. you're using the energy from the chassis bending forward to get your back wheels to slip.

>Left foot breaking is only effective in mid-engined cars where you want to slow down but lifting off would force you to use extra breaking to avoid losing traction.

Left foot braking is effective any time heel-toe is. In cars without clutch pedals (CVT, AT, DCT, Direct-drive, some old MT) it's strictly superior to heel-toe.

Put the old tires on the back and the new ones on the front. Problem solved.

>heel-toe
Yeah it's essentially the same as LFB
LFB is only really used in F1, If you're in a CVT shitbox nothing is going to make you go around a corner better

i use LFB to keep my car in check when driving on ice. It helps against understeer

Tap the brakes

Driving slow when road conditions are shit not only keep your stupid ass safe, but everyone around you as well.
If you're going at 20mph and have winter tires you won't have any problem with ice

Tap the brakes.

Otherwise, I replace my tires in pairs as they wear out, with no swapping needed. The front wheels do all the hard work anyway, with propulsion as well as steering.

Let off the gas

>is there a way to recover from understeer
no. a tight car is unfixable. thats why its literally the slowest possible setup and also the safest.
whatever you instinctually want to do as a know nothing is probably wrong, thats why they make production cars understeer to save you from yourself.