Is the 'it's slow' meme the most overblown lie by automotive journalists ever?

Is the 'it's slow' meme the most overblown lie by automotive journalists ever?

I'm not sure who started it but it's became a buzzword that every reviewer ever has to include in their so-called unbiased review, it's the very definition of groupthink and is killing the reputation of the car. The simple fact of the matter is that it has 25% more power than the current generation Miata, yet it's pretty rare a journalist complains that a Miata is slow.

I'm really tired of hearing the line 'it just needs another 25-50bhp', it's like they can't find any real criticisms of the car so they just resort to spec sheet reading and decide 200bhp isn't enough.

Other urls found in this thread:

roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a18334/scion-fr-s-tire-transformation/
youtube.com/watch?v=MGVhU3JUC1M
consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/01/tire-upgrade-gives-the-scion-fr-s-record-setting-performance/index.htm
thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/10/nurburgring-diaries-part-i-2013-toyota-gt86/
youtu.be/PytQuKbITLs?t=2m25s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's the best looking coupe. If you want speed you have to ditch the best looking bit.

Can't have both!

Oh look, the benchracers have arrived

?????????

I enjoyed mine stock but I slapped a turbo on it anyway because it's funny to watch fuckboys in their 5L VS Commodore get smashed at the lights on princes highway by a japcrap 4banger notorious for being "slow"

The stat sheet is backed by the car's "meh" level performance. just because th vehicle is revving high when you're driving doesn't mean it's going fast.

They've forgotten about the last gen Pontiac G8 and GTO it seems...

Show me Suzuka track times and I might actually care.

It's not slow. It IS overpriced.

Nobody wants to pay $25k for a shitty japbox when they can experience the glory of American pony car power for less money.

that said if you're halfway coordinated you can beat a Holden five litre with a stock one.

especially since most of those cunce have no idea how to stall up the trans.

The ND is faster than a GT86 though.

It is slow (for a "sports car")

0-62mph (0-1000km/h)
>6.9s
Topspeed
>140mph (226km/h)
Quarter mile
>14.9s @ 93.2mph (150km/h)

For comparison, a CVT Maxima
0-62mph (0-1000km/h)
>6.0s
Topspeed
>132 mph (213km/h)
Quarter mile
>14.5 @ 98.2mph (158km/h)

The 86/BRZ/FRS probably has better track times, but it is ultimately "slower." Doesn't mean it can't be fun to drive, just that speed is its weak point.

>(0-1000km/h)
(0-100km/h)

>tfw I'm in between financing a BRZ and buying an SN95 Mustang GT outright

It's going to be slow off the line but that's not what it's made for. Using all 200hp on a tight track or a twisty road is still plenty fast enough to get you arrested or killed. The average people that drive these couldn't even get remotely close to the laptimes that professional drivers set so it's pointless to get autistic over laptimes.

I love how everybody here thinks it's too slow for them but they can't even drive a fwd shitbox or a 120whp Subaru without spinning out.

...but that's literally how fast it goes around the track.... The OP is trying to say it's a "buzzword". But it's literally slower than a fucking HHR.

Well an Escalade is faster than most sports cars by that metric.

Around a track? If your car is slower than an escalade around a track then it's slow. I hate to tell you this, but you can like the FR-S AND accept that it is in fact a slow car.
(which measures: braking, handling, acceleration, speed, stability, handling etc).

It's also 4 seconds slower than a Corvette on summer performance tyres, on its skinny little Prius tyres, on an eight minute track.

let that sink in a moment.

You're comparing 0-60 times if you're comparing this to a HHR. The HHR would understeer or snap oversteer around a track. It doesn't handle nearly as well as an 86 with non-shit tires.

FR-S 8:44.90
C6 7:59.00
C6 Z06 7:42:00
C5 Z06 7:56:00

But whatever man.

No I'm not. The HHR did the ring in 8:43. The scion in 8:44.

Do you guys just ignore facts to save your feel? Plebbit is only a click away.

Fuck, that is slow.

I wish these stupid fucking maximas and camrys didn't exist.

Why? The maxima is a great cruiser car.

roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a18334/scion-fr-s-tire-transformation/

They're still slower than a truck.

youtube.com/watch?v=MGVhU3JUC1M

consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/01/tire-upgrade-gives-the-scion-fr-s-record-setting-performance/index.htm

>roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a18334/scion-fr-s-tire-transformation/
>put good tires on literally any car and it will be faster
WHAT A SHOCK.

>$5000 Mustang
>No payments
>Can carry liability only
>Does not require premium fuel

>$25000 Memebox86
>$400-500/mo payments
>Full coverage required
>Premium fuel required

You really gotta ask yourself if it's worth paying that much every month just for the "fun" you'll only get to enjoy 10% of the time you drive it. At least a Mustang can be used to its fun potential about 40% of the time since straight roads are its specialty.

I can also put modern tires on a 300zx TT and it will run high 12'sin the 1/4. EVERY car is better with better tires.

had a BRZ press car for a week earlier this year and absolutely loved it. On the street, it felt truly keyed in – every control reacting to your input intuitively, instantly. I had the chance to autocross it as well, and despite the laughably bad OEM tires, I still posted close to the fastest time of the day – at a Corvette club event, mind you. The Hoosier-shod-Z06 drivers were none too amused.
thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/10/nurburgring-diaries-part-i-2013-toyota-gt86/

The miata is faster tho

Completely irrelevant. The car is slow, deal with it.

>muhh anecdotal lap times against some shitty cone racers

This post is good. Factory tires mean absolutely nothing. Cars need to be tested with the same tires. Testing cars with differing tire types and then trying to compare their performance directly is foolish and produces results that cannot be taken seriously.

>well regarded fact that gt86 comes on low roll resistance prius tyres and wheels so it can be drifted under speed limit and so its nice and forgiving for a novice driver
>slap some new rubber on gt86, a thing which all old cars it gets compared to have by now, and like many cars that get nürbürgring times advertised have done and what all owners do that want to track their 86 or WHATEVER car
>IT DOESN'T MATTER YOU'RE FALSIFYING THE OBJECTIVE TRUTH THAT GT86 IS SLOW BY MAKING IT FAST BY CHANGING TYRES WAAH WAAH

kek anti gt86 benchracers are so easily baited

>C6
>Z06s

There's a vanilla C5 Corvette there dude.

Tbh dude (oh, this is Regos btw, from way back) I'd probably have bought a Mustang if they were even close to the same money here.

S15s were close to the same price at the time, somewhere around $30k. The 86 sold out for nearly two years here for a reason -- we simply had nothing like it for a long time.

Also you can't have fun on straight roads here.

Unless you don't mind losing your licence every six months.

Btfo

There's no driver name and that time doesn't show up with any Chevy official times. Not to mention the regular c5 is not going to be almost a minute slower than the z06 from the same time. And even worse
>Comparing a track time from a car from 1996 to a car from 2015.

>2015
The 2015 version hasn't been tested, and is actually a bit different from the '12 version. The '17 version is different again, with a little more power and torque and optional Brembos and stickies.

Those tyres are the reason a Nurburgring time is BS anyway, look at the difference between the times in the US version of the GT-R and the Jap version, all in the rubber.

the miata doesn't have torque dip, and it also has less drivetrain losses

>top speed 226km/h
>it is literally slower than my family sedan cuckbox I paid 1.5 merkels for

The reason the 86 quarter mile time and 0-1000km/h looks like that is because you shift right near the end. If it had a slightly longer ratio it would be better.

oc right here

New miata always feels slow from the extra 100lbs of anal dildos in the trunk.

The new front bumper is so damn ugly, but the interior is pretty nice.

miatas are fast in corners though, something that cant be said about the new cuckstang

>extra 100lbs of anal dildos in the trunk
and still weighs way less than the 86

>car journalists drive the car
>many of them say it's slow and could use more power
>thinks journalists are the problem and not the car

The miata is like 500lbs lighter than the 86 btw.

driving is not just about going fast, benchracer kid

>The simple fact of the matter is that it has 25% more power than the current generation Miata
and the miata is still faster 0-60

i wonder why people call it slow

youtu.be/PytQuKbITLs?t=2m25s

>The simple fact of the matter is that it has 25% more power than the current generation Miata, yet it's pretty rare a journalist complains that a Miata is slow.

It's as fast as an NB Miata. Just think about that for a second.

Its slow on a track but in terms of realistic ownership and driving its fine and more importantly - fun. If you live in an inner city like I do you'll see why there are so many of these things.

They look good. They're fairly cheap. Not everyone cares about 0-60 times or going over 100mph. As a daily driver its a great way to get around and the engine can take abuse better than similar nigger tier v6 accords and altimas.

The BRZ/86/FRS/whatever is an AMAZING modern platform for building a drift car that isn't a crash missile in America.

Anyone saying it is too underpowered doesnt know what clutch kicking is and most likely cant even afford a ka24de 240sx while they drive their moms Chevy sedan around.

why do you bump this read to repeat this shit? You realize this was a shitpost from the start Learn to sage dummy
both the same guys

actually, faggot, the very purpose of the existence of cars is to go fast.

Faster than walking, faster than horses.

Driving will always be about going fast.

Go eat a bag of dicks.

>the very purpose of the existence of cars is to go fast.
so much autism

it needs a 3jz

>most overblown lie by automotive journalists ever?
No, the F40 being the "last analog Ferrari" and in any way better than the F50 is.

callouts like this are for newfags thinking nobody will find out they found out about Veeky Forums while reading reddit

>F50
>Good

Lol