Total Meltdown - 2017: "Year the wheels come off"

No, not because of Trump.

kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/forecast-2017-wheels-finally-come-off/

Long, somewhat intriguing read. Here's some choice quotes:

>The USA ran out of growth capacity around the turn of the millennium because we ran out of affordable energy to run our techno-industrial economy.....By affordable energy I mean energy with a greater-than 30-to-one energy-return-on-investment, which is the ratio you need for the kind of life we lead. That’s what the now-ridiculed Peak Oil story was really about: not running out of oil, but not getting enough bang for our bucks pulling the remaining oil out of the earth to maintain our standard of living

>The Fed is completely full of shit. It is terrified of the conditions it has set up and it has no idea what to do next. The “data” that it claims to be so dependent on is arrantly fake. The government’s official unemployment number at Christmas 2016 was 4.6 percent. It’s a compound lie........That 4.6 unemployment figure is the main pillar of the Fed’s “data.” They interpret it as meaning the economy is roaring and has their full confidence. They‘re lying about that, of course. They have been touting “the recovery” (from the crash of 2008) continually and heralding a program of “normalizing” interest rates upward for two years

>A sharply rising interest rate on the ten-year Treasury bond will thunder through the system. A lot of other basic interest costs are keyed to the ten-year bond rate, especially home mortgages, apartment rentals (landlords hold mortgages), and car payments. When the ten year bond rate goes up, so do mortgage payments. When mortgage rates go up, house prices go down, because fewer people are in a position to buy a house at higher mortgage rates, and rents go up.

Does Veeky Forums think 2017 is the year shit blows up? Or just more crazy /pol/-tier shit?

Cmon lads

>kunstler
what the fuck is this shit?

What are you doing? Didn't you get the memo? Now that we're going to have a Republican president there aren't supposed to be anymore libertarian conspiracy theories

They may have a point, but I don't like the sensationalist way that they put a timeline or due date on the next big crisis.

Call me an optimist, but I think with some jury rigging (build and use electric trains for transportation, lower living standards, deal with riots from those starving from JIT delivery systems failing) we can get through this. With a huge amount of luck, it may not even come with a depression that will knock back technology a few centuries and the chaos that comes from 'murica falling from a cliff.

Too bad there's a long way to fall from an ivory tower.

I just have this feeling that even if things legitimately failed, the powers that be will fudge the metrics and hide it all from the public. Which, to some extent, is what the Fed is currently doing.

nah, people have been fucking reporting about collapses and the end times forever, full of fucking shit to get you to click. $$$$ in their pocket

The best thing about being a doomsayer is you can be wrong a hundred times but once you're right, you get to be fucking smug and say 'i told you so'

ITT:

>everything is going fine for me so anyone who is unemployed must be lazy.

please tell me this wasn't original
this man deserves to be paid for that for that post

A reset or "collapse" will happen eventually, I think we'll see it within the next 30 years but I think if you aren't an infant, elderly, or disabled you'll live through it. There's going to be a moment where the house of cards falls on the mass amount of people with useless degrees, large student debt, public sector jobs, and welfare recipients and real massacres and riots will start happening just because these people have nothing else to do.

We're too far technology wise to go back to depression era scarcity though. You might be living in a shitty house worried about the next time the potential debt prisoner tries to hop your fence and steal your daughter but you won't starve to death.

>a depression that will knock back technology a few centuries
Nigga what
The entire global economy could fail overnight, all fiat currency rendered worthless, and we still wouldn't revert to a pre-industrial society.

>and we still wouldn't revert to a pre-industrial society
not even a massive solar even or an all out nuclear war would do that.

A nuclear war might do it if it kills enough people.
I think the global population would have to be under a billion.

it wouldn't kill knowledge and existing tools.
if it kills the internet, most of the knowledge will be gone, but the internet was specifically designed to survive such an event.

are you being witty right now?

>When mortgage rates go up, house prices go down, because fewer people are in a position to buy a house at higher mortgage rates, and rents go up.

good, fuck you and your artificially inflated housing market
these shitstacks called house arent worth the plywood theyre stapled together from

Imagine. A miami without spics or niggers.

>Cheaper houses to buy in cash
>Higher rent to charge
I picked a good time to be late 20s with a decent job. My condo will rent out well and I'll get a better house in a decade.

It's full of spics because the CIA fucked up the bay of pigs invasion and Castro sent all his criminal population to the shores of Miami knowing we would take them in or else look like hypocrites.

>what is peak oil

>They
It's one guy named Jim and he is a peak oil doom blogger. His writing has a certain flair about it as he has published several books now. The Long Emergency was not bad. That was long winded but I wonder about this too...

>One of the other big and dark trends of the past year has been the move of governments around the world — and among the economist / necromancers who advise them — to ban cash from the scene in order to herd all citizens into a digital banking system that will allow the authorities to track all financial transactions and suck every possible cent of taxes into national coffers. It would also be an opportunity for the bank-and government cabal to impose negative interest rates (NIRP) on bank accounts so that money herded into the digital system could be surreptitiously “taxed” by charging account holders just for being there (against their will)

I ain't even a crypto currency shill here but some alternatives to devalued state money may certainly gain traction and large profits may be had, and large losses incurred of course.

I think it's a symptom of lack of confidence in anything else, people are scared shitless of investing in anything but terra firma. The scary part is how many of these people are actually being swindled into taking on enormous debts they may never escape from if it is a bubble and it does pop.

>2017

No one knows when something will happen until it happens. We will see a collapse and a depression, but as long as the gov't props up the US
by simply pretending everything is ok, then we're all good. It's just another side effect of the blue pill.

If you're redpilled however, you realize that an economy can't support debt and inflation like we've took on over the last decades.

When shit comes to fruition, it will be a glorious yet sad day, because those who weren't prepared will be devastated while those who read between the lines will be prepared.

I'm not even a tinfoil hat, and even I think that shit is about to hit the fan

>If you're redpilled however, you realize that an economy can't support debt and inflation like we've took on over the last decades.
If you're really redpilled, you realise it can.

First greentext paragraph is wrong. EROEI is little more than a meme except at very low values. It's financial return that counts.

Second greentext paragraph is correct. But because of that, the third paragraph is moot. Interest rates are unlikely to rise sharply.

>believing in any bubble that will last forever
Give me an energy alternative that allows for engines light enough for trucks to transport commodities and consumer goods, bruh.

Electric engines can work for personal vehicles. But they don't have the torque for carrying heavy loads unless the engine takes up the size of most of the cargo.

Nuclear bombs have EM blasts as a side effect. It would destroy most consumer electronics, including whatever can access the Internet.
Also, most of the people who know how to build or design something like a computer from scratch live in cities, which would be the primary targets.

We wouldn't see a total collapse in technology but I could definitely see an apocalyptic nuclear war destroying enough technology that agrarian economies become viable again, at least for a time.
That's assuming there's enough farmland left.

You know oil isn't the only source of electricity, right? It literally comes from the Sun.

>EROEI is little more than a meme
>It's financial return that counts.
The two are related because oil is fungible. If you look into the renewables wind and solar may have negative EROEI values when you factor in more expensive oil and techno supplements to make them more feasible like battery banks and grid interfaces, remove climate change related promotions and subsidies. They also don't seem to factor in the premise you need an oil or at least fossil fuel based infrastructure to mass produce, distribute and maintain these alternative 'renewables'.

I don't like fear mongering much but energy depletion scenarios, energy shocks and energy poverty are what will define the 21st century. If you read the blog he also mentions how tar sands, frackers and tight oil were very busy in the oil runup but many actually ended up in debt overall.

The two are only distantly related.

EROEI obsessed people panic about energy inputs, failing to realise that they're only a small proportion of total inputs - and as a long term trend, energy is a declining proportion of the total value.

And those negative EROEI figures tend to be fraudulent; contrived by "converting" non energy inputs to energy inputs in a way that relies on false assumptions. For instance they calculate the energy cost of money by using the average energy cost of making a profit, whereas in reality money exists from the moment the bank lends it, not from when the business makes a profit. So the true cost is practically zero.

Those sorts of EROEI claims also tend to double count inputs and include energy costs that would occur anyway (such as feeding the workers).

And they keep making the idiotic claim that advanced societies require a certain EROEI, when in reality it's net energy that's important.

I'm not saying the bubble will last forever; I'm saying economic growth will outlast the bubble.

You seem to think small electric motors with a lot of torque don't exist. But they're actually pretty common in the rail industry. Batteries are more of a limiting factor, so electric trucks are unlikely to conquer the long distance market any time soon, but are likely to gain a lot of the short distance market especially where emissions are tightly regulated.

Meanwhile, oil is not our only source of diesel. It can be grown, or synthesised from natural gas, or even from energy, water and CO2.

Time will tell. I personally think what happened with that run up to $140 oil and crash to $40 were a few things. The Sauds and their Ghawar are into a massive seawater injection program and the field is in decline now, some say they can't stop that injection process only accelerate it for risk of fouling the field so that tap is full on until the oil turns to some salty goo that cannot be refined?
At $140 oil business as usual started to break down everywhere especially North America, demand destruction. Billy Bob can't afford to drive 50 miles round trip to his min wage job anymore. Then I guess there is Russia that started pumping hard at that elevated price.
I think it's going to be a wild ride through the 21st century regarding energy. It would be tempting to invest in it somehow but with big price swings and many unpredictable events you could make a lot or lose a lot, volatility. Maybe some ETF or basket of energy stocks would be good, then again if things get really crazy countries may start nationalizing and rationing.

Anyone who looks into it realizes quickly that life as we know it is going to change drastically over the next 100 years unless a new energy source is discovered or invented as these so called green alternatives and renewables can only supplement and may even compound problems through Jevon's Paradox - more energy sinks with some leading to dead ends and wastage. Throw in climate change politics and policy and it gets even spookier.