Hey Veeky Forums I just started learning to drive manual. When does the fuck ups of first gear end...

Hey Veeky Forums I just started learning to drive manual. When does the fuck ups of first gear end? My 2nd day driving and I feel super embarrassed when I left off the clutch or stall it out.

>2009 mustang gt
Car has the same shifter

set the rpms at around 1100 rpm or less since v8 and slowly let out the clutch.
repeat

Ignore all the posters who say HUR DUR I LEARNED IT IN 3 MINUTES
It'll probably take a few weeks. Just keep at it and don't panic, good luck user

I learned it in 3 minutes.

>fucking up in 1st

OP your clutch is probably baked. It only takes a couple of times burning your clutch in first to fry it.

I would replace asap so it doesn't damage the rest of your flywheel.

Try learning on a poor person's corolla.

I learned in about 3 minutes op.

OP, I literally learned it in 2 minutes 59 seconds when I was 12 years old. Git Gud.

Idk why it feels like it's instinct to left off the clutch. I'm slowly trying to train myself to slowly let off. Also hills scare the shit out of me still.
Thanks buddy. Here is my car btw!

Cool. How much did you parents pay? Mine paid 22k for a used GT350. I wanted the GT500, but my parents are fucking gay retards and got me a 350.

It's okay, I guess.

I don't even "let off slowly"
I'll let the clutch out half way or so and with a tiny bit of throttle until the car starts moving and then release the clutch the rest of the way like it's nothing.

Though my clutch travel is very short.

>It only takes a couple of times burning your clutch in first to fry it.
The clutch is more hardy than that. I didn't know how to drive manual when I bought my car so I had my dad drive it home.

50km of stop-and-go traffic and my dad was revving up to 2.5K-3K rpm to start the car so he doesn't stall along the way because it's been 20 years since he drove manual.

Car is still ok and serviced it recently, clutch is apparently ok too, just fluid changes. I also proceeded to fuck up the clutch on panicked uphill starts (revving 3k-4k rpms, and hearing a CLUNK).

don't worry about fucking up your car. It can take it and you'll get the hang of it after a couple weeks. Took me 2-3 days to stop stalling in traffic. I learnt over a weekend though (probably 4-6 hours in total) so I had the leisure to purposely let it stall and practice starting with and without throttle .etc to really get the hang of it quickly before I actually commuted with it.

>Also hills scare the shit out of me still.
you can let off the clutch while your right foot is still on the brake. There's a point where you'll be able to feel it slipping a bit (the vibration) without stalling. Let go of the brake and you'll just stay in place until you add throttle and let it off a bit more.

Practice doing that on level ground first, your car should immediately start moving like an automatic car once you release the brakes. The muscle memory for you probably hasn't set yet for letting the clutch brake off at the same time as adding throttle so don't feel too bad. Complete idiots drive manual with enough practice / muscle memory so don't worry and just stick with it.

This is so wrong it hurts

Im about 3 months into manual. You get it pretty quick. My only issue is sometimes I get complacent or I try to try to start in first at too low rpms and lug the gear a little. I want that sweet spot where I don't have to raise rpms too much to get moving but don't lug the gear. I also hang on the clutch too much when coming off of 1st
>V6 2014 mustang

Yeah I've been trying to start up hills and feel like I'm slowly learning but it's intimidating as hell especially when cars pull up right on your ass

Thank you for this piece of advice I wasn't sure if you could do that or if it was bad for the clutch. Also is there a difference between going 4th to 2nd to Neutraul when stopping versus 4th to 3rd to 2nd to neutral?

>Also is there a difference between going 4th to 2nd to Neutraul when stopping versus 4th to 3rd to 2nd to neutral?
Are you rev-matching?

I haven't really gotten there yet...so no

Go through every gear until you learn it.

It's not that tough, you just need to tap the gas while you're downshifting to bump the revs up to where they'll be in the lower gear. It's just the reverse of letting the revs drop while upshifting.

Today I turned on my car (it was in first), but I had been leaving it in neutral these past weeks, so I dumped my clutch (thinking I was in neutral)...scared the shit out of me!

Thank God there was car stop.

I was so embarrassed.

Just do sikk burnouts everytime

took my about 30 minutes to figure it out. are you retarded or something like that?

Clutches are lifetime items

I have a corolla with 220k miles on the original clutch, and lots and lots of launches

Maybe some ricer's stage 20 ten puck ultra grabby japanese steel folded 400 times over will glace over sooner than later after days and days of clutch kick drifts but man, they're pretty durable

I have a brother who's been using the exact same clutch in his ducati since it was brand new (ten years ago), and motorcycists aren't nice to clutches

It takes some special kind of redlining and clutch slipping retardation to fuck one up

I think that the mistake that most people make is treating the clutch like the brake pedal, and lift suddenly and completely before they gingerly press down on the throttle.

Find a nice empty parking lot and teach yourself where the engagement point is on the clutch. It shouldn't take you very long.

I'd say most people new to MT simply let out the clutch too quickly.

You should be able to get the car to slightly roll forward with no throttle if you baby the clutch out. The Mustang is a bit heavy, so you might need minimal gas to get it to roll, especially from a dead stop. Minimal gas though, if the engine really revs on you, clutch in, brake and start over.

Don't fully let out the pedal or you'll lurch and stall and people will laugh at you.

Once you learn where that sweet spot is and how to smoothly engage and disengage it, it will become second nature.

Hills and automatic drivers who get right up on your ass at red lights on hills are inherently going to scare the shit out of you for your first couple of months driving a stick.

Good luck, user.

Took me a couple of hours to figure it out, and about 5 hour-long lessons to really get the hang of clutch control.

Used gt350

>22k

Kys

>tfw knew how to drive stick before even sitting in one

Realistically though you should feel comfortable in a week and have mastery within a few weeks.

>he didn't learn it in exactly 180 seconds

but, i actually learned in 3 minutes...

Took me about a month to get to work without stalling. First few nights I had it I was scared shitless driving around at night at my apartment (not even a mile from the police station.) I would put foot halfway (clutch catches a little bit after halfway,) wait until I started to move a little, then give it gas.

Now I drive it properly.

Here's a trick that allows you to learn to drive a manual in 3 minutes:

- You control the gas with your FOOT.
- You control the clutch with your LEG.

That's all is there to it.

kill yourself

Automatic gearbox driver, go fuck yourself. OP, listen to this sound advice:

Lads, is the goal to maintain rpms and lift off the clutch or to rise in rpms while lifting off the clutch ?
And do you guys rev it up +200 from idle and then the sweet spot and then carry on as usual adding throttle or do you only begin adding throttle when you hit the sweet spot?

I learned the basics of driving stick in 30 minutes.
That said, I didn't get comfortable with it, or stop having trouble stalling for a few weeks.

Just keep at it OP. There's a learning curve to it. It'll come eventually.

If your car has more than 150hp you can:

>take the clutch 3/4 back
>apply 1/4 of gas

The bigger the engine and the more hp you have the easier this is.

O was on the road in 15 min. Then started to freak out when I was hitting the clutch instead of the brake lol... No rkts but enjoy the fun that come with a manual. Havent drove anything but since 2005

You literally have enough torque to roll with just the clutch
Use it.

what he says.

Additionally, if you still keep stalling, try doing that in reverse first - the gear ratio is more forgiving.

And, what this user says:

>control clutch with your leg

Now I'm relieved, I thought I was doing it wrong all this time.

It took me a long time of creating and breaking bad habits driving manual, user.

It really comes down to feel and awareness of what and how you're doing it, and that takes awhile.

Just don't fall into bad habits like I did. Such as, turning your head or cringing before a gear change, or always needing a blip between upshifts since my shifting was slow, or other things. I'd say not drinking or smoking helps while learning these new techniques as well, they slowed my progress.

It's not always the clutch disc that goes. On BRZ's, a lot of owners have their clutch throwout bearings wear out by 50k miles.

>Finally get a manual so I can be a real human bean
>Driving by elementary school right as the little shits get out
>Cop tells me to stop, easy enough
>Kids walk out, signals I can go
>Stall out
>Start engine up, spaghetti building in my pockets
>Rev engine up more than necessary and slowly let off clutch
>Officer looks over initially with a wtf look on his face
>Laughs at me as I drive by, lurching into second gear
>Mfw

kek

>Stalling in a GT
You can literally just slowly let the clutch out with 0% throttle

You can literally let the clutch out without touching the throttle on a 1980s Chevrolet fucking Citation.

Even the iron duke Fiero.

Hell, I've done it with my buddies 2.3 Ranger.

I learned to drive a manual transmission on a carb'd Sentra.

Anyone that learns to drive a manual with an engine that has POWAHHH down low can't drive for shit.

Sorry OP.

anyone ;_;

practice makes perfect

You can do both but I lightly (LIGHTLY) rev on the pedal as needed as I get rolling then ease it the rest of the way.

You'll get it down in around a month before you can drive comfortably around
Also be careful around hills i almost had an accident once while learning i rolled back and almost hit the car behind