Why are Honda the greediest pieces of shit when it comes to chipped car keys?

Why are Honda the greediest pieces of shit when it comes to chipped car keys?

>idiot brothers lose a key to the 2012 Accord
>dealer wants $400
>local locksmith wants $100 for a key with no buttons (open/close trunk) or $125 with, third party part

>meanwhile, I buy a 2015 Ford Fusion with proximity keys
>buy keys for $44/each new genuine OEM parts
>follow procedure in manual (press buttons with certain sequence/timing) and program two additional keys myself.

Is this just a Japanese automaker thing in general? Toyota doesn't seem to permit on-board programming of keys either.

Those keys also break stupid easy. The actual metal barely protrudes into the plastic. Plastic weakens and key begins to wiggle and will eventually crack and you have to buy a new shell. Absolute garbage design and quality.

I think it was 2014 when they went to the key fob / switchblade design.

>Those keys also break stupid easy. The actual metal barely protrudes into the plastic. Plastic weakens and key begins to wiggle and will eventually crack and you have to buy a new shell. Absolute garbage design and quality.
Already had this happen once, there's a tiny metal screw on the back and the actual plastic at the point where the head and blade meet is super weak.

I did the cheapest method but it wasnt that cheap. Bought key for $35 on ebay, cost $35 to get ot cut. Programmed it myself. Dealer charged another $60 to program the immobilizer.

Yep. I worked as a lot attendant years ago at a Honda used dealership. Every single key with that design was wobbly or partially broken already. When a key got lost/broken it was a big deal because of the expense for it, even for the dealer.

That's $130 for key + cut + programming total which costs more than OP (having the locksmith order the key and take care of everything [order key, cost of key, cost of cut + programming] for $125)...

Super shitty on Honda's part to not update/reinforce the design. I guess that would be a tacit admission that the design was weak/shit in the first place.

im pretty sure all manufacturers are fucking awful when it comes to keyfobs

Mazda with their 700 dollar keycards
BMW with their 1000+ dollar keys because keys are unique to the EWS and both require to be replaced
Porsche with their fucking 500 dollar keys because the goddamn microswitches fail on the damn keys (you can juts replace them for a goddamn dollar if you know how to solder)

Friend of mine lost his key while we were camping for the weekend, he had a 335xi. Cost him 600 dollars for a new key, bmw is nuckin futs with their shit.

Toyota and Honda don't allow on-board programming BUT they generally use blade designs that are popular.

Ford & GM allow on board programming of many of their models if you have two keys that work, generally if you have two keys already associated with the vehicle and you want to add more then you just need to buy a compatible blank and have it cut, but you can program it yourself. Keys and cut are far cheaper than the programming. (This excludes the models that use FOBIK keys).

German car companies are even worse than the Japanese when it comes to key prices.

>microswitches on Porsche keys
lolwut, this is a persistent problem? damn that's shitty of them not to fix it in newer keys.

seems to be a trend where the american automakers are generally less shitty on replacement keys than the European/Japanese automakers. I have no idea what Kia/Hyundai is like...

All dealerships charge an arm an a leg for new fobs

At least now most new cars are keyless entry

>Super shitty on Honda's part...

Probably has more to do with international sales and having a "full tang" key would be classified as a weapon in certain Kingdoms of the United type.

Just guessing.

my mitsubishi evo x key costs over $90 just for the fob, then i have to pay the DEALERSHIP to program it

rolls royce keys cost over $1000 to replace

My shitty focus' was 5$ on amazon

can't bitch about the porsche key fob prices because

>WELL IF YOU CAN AFFORD A PORSCHE YOU CAN AFFORD A NEW KEY FOR IT DUH.

even if its fucking 14 years old.

>Mazda with their 700 dollar keycards
Mazda scum up to no good again

>I have no idea what Kia/Hyundai is like...
idk about their smart keys but for my 2014 gen coupe it doesnt use transponders so you can get keys cut at home depot and the remote is probably $50

>2014
>doesn't use transponders

And despite being piss easy to steal no one bothers. Speaks volumes about the car

Try calling a bmw dealership and ask them how much for a new set of keys.

.t e46 owner who had to purchase a new pair.

>no one ever steals a lexmercbeemer ripoff
pretty sure thats incorrect considering how hard they try to make it look like other fancy cars and how retarded the average pavement ape is.
>ay yo jamal dis one a dim sooprahs aint it senpai?
>yeah man really looks like it cuz
>what up wit dat weird sideways honda logo tho
>shit man thats cuz honda made the supra dummy and it sideways cuz it make the car look like it goin fast even when its stopped
>shit you right i forgot lets take this shit nigga
>*and tonight on the news, local disenfranchised youth get caught by the racist police for trying to borrow a hyundai tiburon to drive to church and school and pick up medicine for their sick grandma, more at 11*
either way a transponder just prevents you from cranking with any old cut key, it doesnt magically disable the car if they hotwire it or just tow it. they have immobilizers to stop hotwiring.

>senpai
really, word filtering on Veeky Forums? fucking mods.

to be honest and shaking my head as acronyms are globally filtered for a loooong time.

guess i they are just used rarely enough outside of shitpost boards i never noticed
>Veeky Forums
>not a shitpost board

kek, burger logic

It's the most stolen car in the world... Of course they're going to make new keys out of reach for niggers and spics.

Dealer tried to fuck me with a $400 charge for a mustang key. Had just bought the car and they only have me one key so I told them to fuck themselves and showed them in the contract where it says I was supposed to get two keys. I got muh second key, damn it.

The master keys for the Accord and Camry are readily available on illicit markets. Preventing legitimate car owners from getting keys is bullshit.

Hmm. Apparently Republicans run Honda

Christ, BMW dealer ships only charges about 160 a key with fob functions.

try typing in T.B.H.

Yes but if you take guns away from lawful abiding citizens surely criminals will quit using them too.

Toyota keys have a similar design, but unlike the Honda keys, the newer toyota remote has the transponder chip seperate from the remote module, and buried in the fucking plastic shell, covered in epoxy... FUCK YOU TOYOTA

Keyfobs are just another excuse for dealerships to nickle and dime customers. They claim it's better """"security"""" but that's a load of bullshit. We've had proximity chips on keys for years now.

Why aren't Japanese keys folded 1,000 times?

>2015 Ford Fusion
>$44 each new genuine key
>Programmed yourself

Aah, now I see. Lose your original key(s) and tell me how cheap your bill is.

I spent a few hundred getting two keys for a 2001 Mercury Cougar.
>Received free Mercury Cougar because previous owner is a mechanical and electrical engineer and couldn't get it to start
>Replaced the battery and tried starting the car
>Tripped the PATS system
>Shorted out the starter and the car turned over but obviously wouldn't fire
>Took it to the dealer to get two keys programmed for my new car
>Iirc $340 for two keys programmed to the car
>$30-40 serpentine belt as previous owner cut the belt to try and turn the motor over by hand

Drove the shit out of the car for a few months before selling it for $2800.

College friend was adamite the motor seized up.

I like the cars where the keyfob just has to be inside the car and you press a button to start. never understood why you still have to put the key in if it has the electronic shit too. it's awesome to just leave the keyfob in your pocket

What about Nissan?

baka desu senpai

Nissan is like Honda and Toyota, no on board programming of actual keys. OBP of the fobs to unlock/lock the doors and trunk is possible but not the actual keys.

They used to be the best key on the market

used to be..,,,.

Then the French came.

>programmed yourself
>$44

Nice cherrypicking, faggot

I'm not a locksmith, I just followed the fucking procedure listed in the manual. No equipment required except for the car and buying the actual new key.

Where does one buy more of those switchblade keyfobs? I would like to get an extra one to reprogram in my GM car. I know the key bar has to be cut at the locksmith, but at least I can get the keyfob to be recognized by the car.

The reason is that that it takes two good fobs to reprogram another. So, just in case I might lose one, I wanted to make one extra working fob.

make/model year?

>both examples were doing the bare minimum required effort and money to get a functioning key

Just because one happens to be extremely expensive and inconvenient doesn't make the comparison less valid