What's Veeky Forums's opinion on mandatory vehicle safety inspections? what policy applies to where you live?

what's Veeky Forums's opinion on mandatory vehicle safety inspections? what policy applies to where you live?
>New York
>all cars must be inspected at a state certified mechanic (many of them) at least once per year

I realize that Veeky Forums can probably realize many problems without a mechanic but when you have so many idiots on the road getting their car checked at least once a year makes fucking sense so they're not driving on completely bald tires or anything like that. some people will not get regular maintenance on their vehicle without being forced to bring it in.

Other urls found in this thread:

nydailynews.com/new-york/cuomo-license-plate-scan-tech-nab-violators-tolls-article-1.2962969
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>New Jersey
>mandatory inspections once a year

I'm still riding around on my '05 explorer with a bad inspection from January 2015. The check engine light has been on for almost 3 years because of a busted EGR valve

I've gotten pulled over for it once but by this point I'm not worried about it because I'm getting a new car in a month. I drive by the police station every day on my way to/from work and the cops don't stop me for the bad sticker, even with a ticket for it in the past

> It's a great thing that keeps rusted deathtraps off the road

> UK
> Government-regulated test every year for cars older than three years
> Test basically is to make sure the car isn't rusted through or broken
> Can fail it for excessive tire/brake wear or body rust

I thought it would be awesome moving to a state that doesn't require an inspection.

wrong.
Road delays all the time because someone's rust bucket finally shit out. Scared of driving because I'm afraid someone's metal death trap is going to fucking veer off or have a piece fall off and hurt my car.

exhaust pipes and mufflers falling off cars mid traffic

Any county that has vehicle inspection but NO EMISSIONS is GOAT

Nc laws vary county by county but luckily my County is safety inspection only. No emmiasions. Nc is safety only but additional countys have emmissions. Some even have tight emmissions with the probe. Most are just check to see if the car passes the self test. Im glad i live in a no emmissions county because my integra has somethi g wrong woth the egr system that I haven't been able to trace down or fix yet with junkyard parts.

Don't have them don't care.

Never had someone's shitbox fall apart at any dangerous speeds, since most people maintain a car just enough to be able to make the 200+ miles trips between towns

Pic related is a piece of shit that could never pass an inspection or emissions but it's far from killing anyone

No inspections in KY. They're not necessary and I'm glad we don't have them.

Though I do wish cops would ticket people for ducked up lighting and other hazards.

My uncle works at a garage so he just lick 'n' sticks my inspection every year. Feelsgoodman

Work for a construction company in Ohio, no emissions or inspections.

Every one of our trucks would fail both tests. They are all at least 15 years old and have been given band-aid after band-aid, resulting in a repair being necessary at least once a week.

Recently we've had a brake line rust through so we completely redid all of the lines, and just today I replaced a brake caliper that one of the pistons completely shattered. The inside pad was worn paper-thin. Very timely repair, she broke down on the jobsite yesterday.

Can't say the same for the other trucks, usually it takes us 3-4 days before we even get time to make repairs unless the weather is keeping us from pouring concrete. Needless to say we are benefiting from a lack of emission or safety inspection.

Shit, I doubt a single catalytic converter is still working properly.

Roughly 150 point inspection
Bi-yearly for vehicles below 3500kg total weight, yearly for above. No inspection for motorcycles, tractors and so on.

They inspect pretty much everything; the car and all its functions like brakes, suspension, lights, steering, front assembly, rear assembly, windshield condition, horn, tires, wipers, leaks and more

Emissions.

They also check to see that you have the required high-visbility vest and road hazard sign in the car and that they are easily retrievable

I don't mind. It makes sure that people usually have a roadworthy vehicle that won't become a danger to anyone because of mechanical malfunction. It makes having modified/unapproved vehicles a bit harder as you have to make them "original" again before an inspection, but thats a price one must pay

>california

usually just a simple smog test every other year when renewing the registration
they don't really look at anything else

>be one of europoors
>have to tech and emission test every vehicle that is older than 4 years
>for cars with catalytic converter you have to it every 2 years
>carburated cars need yearly emissions test
>LPG/CNG vehicles need extra yearly gas system test

Used to be very, very corrupt system. Know a guy who just needed to get pink slips to take data from it and give you stickers/papers and off you go for another 2 years. Nowadays there is camera system and they have to take picture of your car as it goes trough tech and emission test lines.

The depth of checks depends on who and where tests it. Some techs will check for validity of first aid kit, dimensions of tires, (E) mark on any aftermarket components, headlight alignment, cracks in windscreen, boiling point of brake fluid, etc.. Our legislative does not acknowledge words like "tuning" or "modifying", every change you make to the car by adding or removing things needs to be inspected separatelly and written down to your pink slips (which is green colored for the sake of feeling green = police = law).

Generally everyone on the tech does a visual inspection for big sharp dents, leaks of fluids, brake test on rollers (incl handbrake), play in steering and that's it.

For emission tests, they check your OBD2 port and read trouble codes, as long as MIL/check engine light is not on, you are good to go. Then they measure emissions at medium range and then on idle - you can see that EVERY car lowers carbohydrates and nitrous oxides as the test goes after like 15 seconds... For diesels they also measure sooth content in exhaust at max revs which is just stupid.

Anyway, for emission test there are two options - you either pass or don't. For tech inspection, you can pass without any finding, you can pass with minor problems (leaky oilpan), pass temporarily to fix problems in 30 days, or not pass at all.

Yeahhhhh.... I'd much rather risk being killed when somebody's wheel falls off and they hit me head on then have to live with that type of control.

I mean forcing you to carry a first aid kit and a safety vest.... Come the fuck on.

Also forgot funny thing that happened last year. I had a towhook installed from the dealership when I bought the car new. Totally legit, OEM part, but since it protrudes behind the vehicle and has own max tow limit, it needed to be written into pinkslips.

On tech inspection, they kicked me out that I need to get new pinkslips because my towhook had just "model name" but it needs to have also "manufacturer" written there. They can't let me pass with it because what if next year other tech inspector finds that they overlooked it - they might get fined/lose licence. So it is a no go until I get "manufacturer" written in there.

Ever tried to get some paperwork done in Europe? You need to get paperwork for that paperwork done first. That inclueded dealership, importer, local department of traffic, national vehicle register, police department and then tech again. All just to get "manufacturer: OTHER" written in there legally.

>They also check to see that you have the required high-visbility vest
lost it

Texas is a mixed bag since not all cities do emissions testing, but other than that they just check the lights, signals, horn, wipers, look under the hood, drive it around the building, check the brakes, and then charge you $7 so you can get the car registered for another $75

I carry more than that because I visit neighbouring country where you need to have a vest for EVERY passenger, even if they are not in car (5 seats means 5 vests within hands reach). I carry also things like 2 FAKs because I actually know that one is not gonna be enough, fire extinguisher and seatbelts cutter. I have more things that I have to have, hell, I even demand my car to have a jack and fullsized spare tire, I carry extra serpentine belt for pump/accessories.

Thing is, our latest first aid kit needs to have a white cross that is 15cm across depicted on it. Same contents as previous one, same function, even if your old one has not expired yet, you are not going to pass. See, that is the problem.

As for rustboxes that give you cancer as they pass by, ez, get it somehow fixed so it passes limits for tech inspection requirements from 1980s (really, imagine tech inspection that gives just that little shit to such complex cars as we have nowadays), well...

It is obviously made to make you pay for inspections, make you pay fines/impound your car if you forget to renew it, make you visit car service to "make it pass" instead of "make it fixed properly because I ain't paying 800 bucks for new brake set on a car that is worth 400, 450 with full tank."

What are the laws like in Utah? Moving there soon.

>he doesn't have a mechanic that signs off on your shitbox
Sasuga anonkun

Inspections should only care about absolutely critical safety stuff, like brakes and lights and suspension. If you got rusted-out brake lines and they pop when you're trying to decelerate from highway speeds, you could easily kill someone else regardless of driver skill. If all your lights are out but you insist on still driving at night because you work vampire hours and think your liquor habit is more important than buying replacement lights, someone could hit you because they didn't see you. That one's a stretch but I've personally seen dumber shit than that so I put nothing beyond "average joe."

Failing a car because it has too much body rust, or the emissions system (which is already a functionally useless parody of bureaucracy) shit the bed, or it has engine trouble codes, is a fucking joke. It's not gonna cause an accident if you stall and have to get towed, and that happens anyway. Rust won't break the fucking car in half except in extreme cases, where it should be obvious why the guy failed you and junking the piece of shit is the only option. Emissions, as previously mentioned, cannot and should not be taken seriously because of how broken the system that invented the standards is. Taking away someone's mode of transportation they depend on to get to their job, because it blasts an amount of smog higher than an arbitrary number the government came up with, is organized-crime-control-tactics tier.

But anyway, enforcement is also a joke unless you live in a dense city.
I live in NY and I drove my last car for over a year with an expired inspection sticker, and when I finally got pulled over for it I only had to pay $110. My current shitbox failed because it threw too many codes because of my mods removing sensors, and I still drive it anyway. I just printed out a 10-day temporary one like the DMV gives you when you register so cops won't bother me. If I get pulled over for something else, they'll surely notice. But I haven't yet.

Best be careful about all of the new automated tolling systems with plate integration. Cuomo is giddy af and they're building more space to the side of the highways to pull people over when they auto-recognize violations (registration, unpaid tickets, etc.)

nydailynews.com/new-york/cuomo-license-plate-scan-tech-nab-violators-tolls-article-1.2962969
> “It reads your plate for everything!” an enthusiastic Cuomo said during the Thursday meeting. “It comes up with every violation, and we can stop you right there.”
>[...]
> In the three weeks after the cashless tolls debuted at the Queens Midtown Tunnel on Jan. 10, cops averaged 50 tickets issued per week to drivers for charges from toll evasion to outstanding warrants.
>The new system proved so adept at finding folks who owed the state money for outstanding violations that Cuomo said officials were trying to create an expanded “pull-over space” for law enforcement stops.

>driving on toll roads
miss me with that cuck shit

yeah except that pretty much doesnt fucking exist.

econiggers want emmision testing along with physical inspection so they can "combat" the myth of man made global warming

fuck mandatory state inspections anything the government runs and sets the rules for instantly turns to pure failure

>you owe the state back taxes!
>pull over!

I need to register this thing back home asap, Burnieland has ass tight inspections as of this year.

I've never had one before.

Lucky you. When I go upstate I can take 684 to 87 to the Taconic to I-90 (via the Berkshire Connector) but it's basically fucking impossible to avoid toll roads in downstate NY.

I used to live there, it was easy as fuck to pass. What changed?

fucking nothing, I've been driving in NY for 10 years and never had an inspection issue.

Honestly NYC needs to separate and become its own state so their stupid bullshit city rules aren't inflicted upon rural folks. We need guns to shoot wildlife that's all up in our backyards. We need piece of shit cars to traverse farmland and forest trails and get 10 miles to our awful blue collar jobs that barely keep us fed. We don't need to worry about niggers forming gangs and doing drive-bys in donks in Bumfuck, Nowhere. Hong Kong did it, they barely share any legislature with mainland China. Fuck off out of NY, NYC.

I can understand inspecting shit like headlights, tires, brakes, and essential shit like that but I was a little miffed that PA requires both foglights to be functional. They only turn on when the headlights are on so you won't think there's a motorcycle anyway, and having even one working foglight is better than those who have none on their car. I suspect it's the result of lobbying by mechanic/auto parts unions and interest groups

I was replying to the VT guy.
What changed in VT to make inspections more strict?

Upstate NY and downstate NY will never separate. Upstate NY needs the NYS state income tax (and other tax) revenue from NYC, NYC needs shit from upstate (namely water). Separation is as much of a pipe dream as there is. Might have worked fifty years ago but in the current political climate forget about it.

Love going upstate and hate how liberal/upstuck Westchester is.

I personally think NYC needs to be more separate in that their legislation body shouldn't be able to reach the rest of NY as a whole. There are a ton of retarded laws that all catalyzed out of NYC and now the rest of the state suffers

For example, bicycles aren't allowed on sidewalks over the entire state, a law that was formerly only a local city law but is now all over the state. Its super fucking dangerous how many times I have to overtake one of these bicycles in an area where there are plenty of open sidewalks that would be miles safer than riding in the road

It's a sidewalk, not a side ride.

who fucking cares, less cyclists would get injured if they rode on the sidewalk where there are no fucking cars to run them over. Theres barely enough shoulder to park cars and shit, why do they need to be on the road

Luckily my town has shoulders that are a whole lane wide for those idiots to fuck around on.

I can totally understand why cities banned them. Sidewalks in cities are full of people walking so it makes sense to keep them off

but in everywhere else especially in low density towns its the exact opposite, few people walking bikes should be on the sidewalk

>Not just taking them out before inspection

PA is hilarious with the shit you can get around by just covering it with tape. Spot of rust TAPE IT OVER. Gash in the metal TAPE IT UP. 80% of the rear end of your 4runner is rusted away? Cover that shit with tape, it too old for emissions so nobody gives a shit. Front end of your mustang is half gone from an accident?Tape a fake one on and cover it with a bra. The only place better is Ohio but that is a forsaken godless land that should be razed with the northern panhandle of west Virginia.

I assume the tape philosophy only works with certain shops though? The place I dealt with was fairly anal about the foglights.

Also, can you grip tape your tires?

The only way to live.

>My uncle
>licks n sticks
>feelsgoodman

gross,dude!

Living in a state with yearly inspections and a state with no inspections
Yearly inspection state most cars on the road are in great condition. Most cars you'd look at to buy (thay are registered) are in decent condition
No inspection state... so many shit boxes on the road that should be in a junkyard. So MANY fucking shitboxes I went to look at that were just... fuck my life
An 80s f100 with cheap ass plexiglass windows, fucking lpg system that caught on fire every single time it was started, so much rust! And it was registered. Nope.

I'd rather not have to go to an inspection station every year and have my car knocked back because of an irrelevant leak or old wiper blades or a dull headlight
But I'd rather not have those f100 tier shitboxes all around me in peak hour traffic

There needs to be automated cameras in the road surface at those license plate scanner locations. It will check to see that the catalytic converter remains installed and wasn't replaced by a straight pipe. If the image doesn't match the factory image for the car model associated with that license plate, a summons letter is mailed and the driver must go to an inspection station to have an emissions check.

Too many people yank their catalytic converters.

>You have a warrant. Pull over!

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Inspections are for communists.

Having lived in both free and communist states, I can say it is much better living in a free state without the burden of inspections/emissions requirements.

Hell, Hawaii will hold your car hostage, you can't ship it off island without a current inspection.

If you like to mod at all, it's so much better to live in an area without inspections. I have never been negatively impacted by any other vehicles because of a lack of inspections.

>tfw no inspections period
>tfw im allowed to drive my shitbox wherever i want even though im sure she'd fail just about every test they have
>tfw freedom

i couldn't afford to repair all the stuff i have to any way
>tfw poorfag

fuck off cuck.

I'm sure it catches many shit boxes and may prevent some accidents. More accidents are caused by people, not the condition of their cars though. Poor driving skills & distractions like phones and radios cause many more accidents.

Why do you care?

No inspections in CA. As long as you can coax your shitbox into passing smog every other year (or pay a crooked mechanic to "pass" it) you're good. The emissions standard is high though.

Rather than inspections they give the Nazi local po-po the right to issue fix-it tickets for any and everything.

>go to garage
>car is mechanically fine, but has swiss cheese rocker panels, frame and actual structural elements are clean as a whistle
>Sorry pal can't pass that even with bondo over it
>its a structure component

Someone needs to belt those harrisburg retards over the head with their own rulebook
This heap BRAND NEW OUT OF THE FACTORY had a 1 star side impact rating,
If something tbones me i'm shit out of luck anyway, rust or not

centre county PA emissions boils down to 2 things:
- visual inspection of exhaust system w/ cats.. not that they work, just that it's all there
- fuel cap test

reminder, i need to gut my cats & shoot flames

Allegheny/Westmoreland is pretty much just that.

Most of the time they don't even do a fuel cap, just the OBD2 test since anything newer throws a CEL if you have a bad fuel cap

No inspections here in Florida as too many retards lease new cars yearly.

>live in greatest car enthusiast country on earth; New Zealand
>warrant of fitness every 6 months keeps death traps off the road
>no emissions at all, I have a full straight pipe on my z will only a muffler tip
>no EGR, no AIV, no cats, running 14psi with a tune that runs it rich asf
>almost any modification can be done, you just need an LVVTA cert
>lvvta was created by enthusiasts to self regulate
>just keeps shitty skid hacks off the road
>easy as to pass tho, guy rocks up in a lowered v8 commodore
>hks jutties, legal
>no more than 20% extra power (I swer), legal
>all other mods are reputable brands and properly installed, check
>mfw fuck off asshole cops at meets because they try to fault my low loud car and they can't
>mfw many other aspects of this country are statist as fuck and I'm surprised and happy that cars are so free

Except speed limits. Auckland transport just made the new 8 lane interchange they build 80kph speed limit for some reason and now the revenue cameras are out

>he lives in Helena
LMOAing @ ur life

>not liking helena

i also dont live in helena, i live far outside of it

Yeah I don't think so M8. You have to register minor mods or risk getting your car crushed if a cop asks you to pop the "bonnet". Gas is also stupid expensive. That's a cuckhole.

Augusta?
>liking grimy shitholes with nonsensical street grids

>8 lane road
>80kph

For what reason?
Meanwhile in Canada a 2 lane back road is 110kph and it's almost unreasonable ot hit that speed on it given how fucking twisty and pot-hole filled it is

Car inspections are retarded in the USA for anything beyond emissions testing.

"you don't want anything damaged falling off the car"
>Toyota pickup drives by with 1000 lbs of unsecured rebar in the back
"if the blinkers don't work in an emergency, how do you pull over safely?"
>implying that the shoulder is free of full sized couches, semi tires, and matress springs
"your signal is out, how will you safely signal a lane change?"
>mini passes on the right at 100mph and then cuts across three lanes to get back in left lane

DOT funded research of thousands of drivers also confirms this. Driver error is the overwhelming cause of accidents, with road conditions playing a factor, and with vehicle maintenance contributing to less than 1% of the 5096 crashes studied. Almost all of that 1% is worn tires failing. I've seen unpublished raw data from more recent analyzes and there isn't a signfigant difference between inspection states and non-inspection states in terms of crashes even when you control for inspections "catching" problems.

Nah most minor mods don't have to be certed (lowering springs etc)

If you get caught without a Cert it's either a green sticker (off the road unless it's to get repaired and you can drive home) or a pink sticker (on a trailer m8)
It only gets crushed for repeat offenders

Incompetence, beurocratic ignorance, revenue collecting, pandering to irrelevant demographics. It could be 150

However, if all cars are self-driving, then 100% of all the car problems are the result of the car! Well, excepting those cases where the driver refuses to perform a repair that the car's computer has detected needs to be done. In the future, such drivers might be cited for unsafe car fines if they force the car onto the road.

Man made climate change is real

The myth is consumer auto being a significant contributor instead of an easy target that won't screw over business if gone after (rnd would have spent that cash on more power anyways, state can raise money with testing and improve business for shops by requiring all repairs to be certified by a Jew, I mean, mechanic)

As long it's quiet, doesn't smell bad or retarded you can do whatever you want in Québec because we are to poor for inspections.

I can't believe how cucked you kids are.
My car caught fire the other day and once the firemen left I replaced the fuel line and drove it home with smoke pouring out as it burned off the melted plastic.
Fucking cucks that need to trailer a car home because the police didn't like that you didn't get a mod inspected?

>I can't believe how cucked you kids are.
A lot of kids are brought up in the 9/11 environment and taught that all police are heroes and all firemen are heroes. Thou shalt obey them.

Welp, being German i am not the biggest fan of our TÜV system, but if you see those east european trucks with broken frames, air tanks full of water and broken brake lines i'm kind of glad we try to keep the worst death traps off the roads.

Massachusetts has safety and emissions (obd2) inspection yearly which I think is reasonable, and the emissions isn't checked on vehicles 15 years or older so long as they aren't unnecessarily loud or have visible smoke,

nobody fucking cares about anything in florida, it's like anything goes

Now they're 140 a pop, they hook shitboxes to an over expensive OBDII reader that any simpleton fuck can beat and then smack a sticker above your mirror.

Everything gets logged into these state tax funded things, if it doesn't pass once you can't take it to another shop and pass. Most faggot shit on earth, I'm never becoming a resident of this place.

Indiana > nothing at all
Arizona > comprehensive gas and diesel emissions run by state
Colorado > privatized emissions in only the most population dense areas (Denver and surrounding) pay $25 have gas cap checked for leaks drive away OR register vehicle in adjacent county and never do emissions, your choice
Diesel is totally separate, it's done at your friendly local diesel mechanic, costs ~$90 and ruins your tires. In addition if they built your hillbilly coal burners, they are damn sure going to pass their own build!

I call bullshit
also you're a fag

Also in Colorado counties with emissions the seller is responsible to get a clean "open" emissions slip, so even if you passed an hour ago for registration you need to go back if you want to sell.

Now imagine:
> yeah I saw your shitbox on cl, take 400 cash?
How about $800?
>$700?
Fine, whatever.
> great now just go get an emissions test and I'll give you the cash

I've seen mufflers fall off in Indiana, it never killed anybody.

I saw a guy pulling in to a lot with a tiny lip, his muffler fell off at the front (i was watching it drag and spark) and caught the lip pole vaulting the rear of the car about 4' in the air. Nobody died tho.