/mcg/ - Minecraft General: 2.0.0 When Edition

2.0.0 When Edition

Previous thread: We discuss minecraft, minecraft packs, projects, seeds, building ideas...
Share server stories and keep the screenshots coming, we want to see more builds!
If you develop mods or anything Minecraft related, keep us updated so we can give feedback.
Don't spam your server or discord here; use the list from the link below to advertise it.

>==[Links]====[News]==

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UniiQRiKDn0
discord.gg/DKVzCGK
github.com/asiekierka/ClassCacheTweakerMC
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=UniiQRiKDn0

If you want to see what pylon turbo-charging looks like.

tl;dr at bottom :)

Hi /mcg/

So I returned about a month ago to Minecraft (I hadn't played since 1.2.5) and have been having lots of fun building shit and blowing it up, exploring, and killing shit. Unfortunately, I think Vanilla has just about hit its limit for me - I made a huge-ass gate that plays music with the new redstone things, explored the new End and Nether, and played around a little bit with the new Command Blocks. I never did any modding back when I used to play, but it seems like there's a lot of content I could have fun with. I come to y'all seeking guidance.

I'm looking for mods that:

>Breathe new life into vanilla content
I've noticed some things that seem lacking, like a lack of decorative blocks in different materials (marble fences/walls, more wool colors, different wood crafting tables and chests) or maybe more variety in the nether.

>Rekindle a sense of discovery
The immediate wonder upon first seeing the cubic hills around me has dulled, and exploring new terrain or making new discoveries would bring some of the simple joy of playing back to me.

>Add more late-game content
Punch tree. Mine stuff. Get diamond. Enchant diamond. Clear underwater temple. Clear forest mansion. Build awesome fortress. Kill Ender Dragon. Kill Wither. Durdle around with more redstone - damn, wireless with glass and arrows doesn't work like it did in 1.2.5. New World. Repeat. I want more! More armor, more bosses, more challenge, more variety!

>Advance redstone to new heights
I'm talking vast automation, factories, machines that mine for me, better stuff-sorting, more transportation (Minecarts have a lot of potential not realized in Vanilla, IMO), stuff I can't even think of, and make it all cooler-looking.

>Let me prettify my world
More colors of wool, different heights of slab, cutting blocks into pieces, giving sheep tattoos (OK, maybe not that)

tl;dr - I've only ever played vanilla, I wanna mod now, help pls?

>literally 80 posts early
what

There is still hope.

>First point
-Chisel and Wallpapercraft for more decoration blocks (Railcraft too but its more of a tech mod).
-Bibliocraft for literally any block you want wooden chest or crafting tables or more.
>Second point
Rtghas better biome than vanilla but Biomes o plenty has a better vanilla like charm when explroing those biomes, especiallt the magic forests. And you can also try Twilight Forest as a new dimension.
>third point
There are two options for it, tech mods or magic mods.
Magic mods tend to focus on powering the player and are less nonlinear than tech mods.
On the other hand tech mods focus more on resource gathering, especially proccessing ores in to gettinglike 4-5 times more ingoys out of them but they are pretty interesting to setup.

Good magic mods are Witchery or Thaumcraft (plays like a tech mod) while good tech mods are mekanism or magneticraft. There are many options but what I reccomend to avoid or play only during your first times are Thermal expansion and industrialcraft2.

That's all super vague so it depends on your preferences

>Fourth point
Theres tech mods for that, check curse to find the many available options but dont get too many big mods at once.

For transportation theres Traincraft but theres also teleporters and jetpacks.

>Fifth point
See first point but dont try microblocks, only Chisel and Bits if in 1.10.

As for versions 1.7.10 still has more content and is better optimized but months of trying to kill made 1.10.2 have some new content, mostly more magic mods.

>FTB

Thanks so much! I'll be sure to check those out!

Yeah, it's vague - I've never played modded minecraft before, so I don't know what my preferences are. This is to build a foundational knowledge and develop preferences and a playstyle from there. If you have any suggestions, or just mods you personally really enkoy, I'd love to hear them! :D

>FTB OP
well, time to jump ship, this general has gone full reddit

Well, you're starting from the foundation of "what do I want to do with minecraft", and mods are so expansive and cover such a variety of shit that I think that's kind of a limiting way to even look at it in the first place

What do you want to do? Do you like fantasy? Sci-fi? Realism? Do you want to cross the open oceans exploring island chains? What kind vehicle do you want to do it on? Do you want the world to be filled with people and places? Do you want that world to be dangerous or comfy? Do you want to help out a community or would you rather stay at home reading books?
I guess, basically, "what do you want to do in a video game?"- modders are usually about as autistic and plentiful as the players so no matter what niche bullshit you're into there's usually at least one option

It's a meme you dip

I want to explore an engaging world with different people, places, and terrains, but have a super cool base to hang out and build stuff in. I want a world that can be very challenging to survive in, or comfy if I turn off some of the dangerous stuff.

By helping out a community, do you mean quest-type stuff? That sounds like it could be fun unless it's restrictive.

As for sci-fi/fantasy/realism, I think whatever's the most fun is best - I prefer tech to pure magic/medieval in general, if that affects your recommendations, but I'm open for anything.

Now I'm confused - Why do Not Enough Items and Too Many Items both exist for 1.7.10 if they serve what's apparently the same purpose?

>I think whatever's the most fun is best
Well that's not very helpful at all
The kind of autism we're dealing with here means very few content mods will ever be objectively fun for everyone
I'm starting to think you'd be better off just going to youtube or google and taking whatever piques your interest

Ok, is this better?

I'd prefer tech-based mods with a lot of late-game automation and lots of things to make and tinker with. In a magic mod, I'd want one that enriches exploration and combat.

Sorry, I'm trying to help y'all help me - I'm not the best at conveying my thoughts.

NEI was originally a clone of TMI with the addition of recipe lookup. Generally, TMI updates to Minecraft snapshots and targets vanilla; NEI targets Forge.

Guys I have a technical question, can anyone help?

Alright, thanks!

what's up?

>EnderIO machine cases now use invar instead of iron (they're pretty much better TE stuff anyway)
>RFTools machine cases now need a BC iron circuit (the builder in particular is the entire BC in a block)
I'm safe I only change this much, right? I'll make sure to kill myself before I start changing every recipe to use quintuple compressed cobble.

Well, I'm not very well versed in tech mods, but for magic mods, it depends on the version of the game you're playing
Thaumcraft is the one everyone plays, it adds a lot to different parts of the game
If you're specifically in the market for magical exploration and combat and not much else, twilight forest is a great pick, it adds a bunch of dungeons, bosses, biomes, and items and such all in it's own dimension
Really though most magic mods add pretty good stuff for combat, it's the exploration part you'll need to look harder for

ironic shitposting is still shitposting
there will be legitimate retards who won't look past the OP and think that shit is welcome here

Ok so I have some mods up and running, and I fiddled with the config to remove redundant ores and stuff. This is exciting! Can anyone think of any smaller utility mods? Just little things to make life easier. I remember there was one that made trees fall after one block was mined - stuff like that.

I want to set my game back to version 1.7.2 but it keep scrashing 10 seconds into the menu screen

any advice?

it just freezes up

Have you tried backing up your saves/profiles and deleting/reinstalling the client?

it still crashes, this time at world creaiton

Weird. Is your java up to date and 32- or 64-bit depending on your operating system?

and then they bump the thread and we yell at them which bumps the thread

I have a 64 bit java for a 64 bit windows.

anything else that could be doing this?

>Never used soul shards before, decide to look into it
>It has it's own special ecosystem of microcrafting
>It's own special furnace
>It's own special items
>It's own special metal
>Because the special metal didn't do anything other than make the cages, it also has it's own special tools and weapons
>The sole purpose and primary reason for this mod to exist is purportedly to make your own spawner cages, no more, no less
Jesus christ, there's so much generic cancer shoved into this thing I'm surprised it doesn't have any new special snowflake worldgen ores or a dimension
Why are mod makers so retarded

Dunno if anyone here dipped their toes into lego worlds, but I started a discord server since there is almost zero community for it right now.

discord.gg/DKVzCGK

Someone hacked my 7 year old Minecraft account and I only realized that because I just had the biggest urge to play and couldn't. What do?

Another maze, only this one actually looks challenging.

Do we like direwolf20?

contact mojang?

They want my PayPal receipt but I can't find it, PayPal only goes two years back.

Any mods that makes it so i can get blaze rods outside of the nether? I hate playing with structures, or mobs for that matter, but i need ot for blast furnaces

yes

>Curse staff creating OP topic now

The cancer is complete.

the only thing that comes to mind is thaumcraft (cinderpearl) + agricraft (cinderpearl crops) +T.bases (thaumic reconstruction to turn the dust into rods)
and to be honest, i'm not 100% sure about the last one

1.10.2 has Alchemic Ash.

Cheaty as fuck since you just run furnaces for a while and you can make infinite diamonds and other stuff, Blaze Rods included, but it sure has some fun stuff in it.

Techguns :^)

I'll look into it, but abstain from exploiting it. Thats always what gets me in the end, really. Only reason i'm looking for a mod and not just cheating it it is because if i cheated it in, i would open pandora's box of fun ruining.

user, I...

an alpha 1.2.6 server isn't a very bright idea.

Without breadcrumb (seeing it doesn't work for me for w/e reason), this maze is a pain in the ass, and what's worst you have to return to the entrance to shift the locks per key, at least 5 times. But it suffers the same flaws as any other maze, just hug the wall to get to your goals.

another pic of spawn

Gany's Nether lets you farm Nether mob drops, it's cheaty as fuck. Blaze rods for example drop from some sort of cactus.
And there's always Magical Waiting for Crops.

can't you use t.horizon's light focus to mark your way?

>a single block in this wasteland biome I've settled in somehow turned into an ocean biome
>quit game to change something
>go back and the block isn't an ocean anymore
what

Took a while, but I finally got the goodie.

What's the name of the mod that's supposed to replace redpower2?

Wasn't it blue power?

project red :^)

Really, repeating puzzles? Lame.

Thankfully I screencapped the solutions for the more bullshit ones.

How do those puzzles even work?

"no"

slowly getting the hang of chisel and bits

I'll definitely be using this more often

There's less puzzles than dungeons so yes, you'll repeat some.
As i can see so far you haven't encountered Game of Life and Musical ones

Its a great mod. Its honestly the only reason im trying 1.10
and im actually having fun

I know I asked this last thread, but I'm still looking for more:

So, I'm making a private server for family and friends who I'm trying to mostly-wean off of ATLauncher and FTB packs, who are used to a whole bucketload of bullshit.

The trick is now, that I'm trying to do it in 1.10.2. I've got the basics- You know, WAILA, NEI, Morpheus, Gravestone that kind of thing. I've got tech stuff, such as Mekanism, EnderIO, Immersive Engineering. I've also got storage- Drawers for lowtech, Refined Storage for hightech... but then I've also thrown in some other interesting stuff like Advanced Rocketry and Dooglamoo Cities, Embers, and magic stuff like Astral Sorcery or Runes of Wizardry.

Do you guys know of any good, interesting mods to add?

I figured as much, just never saw it in action so I had no idea what exactly it was that I was looking at. If you get what I mean.

>Captcha
>Solve sign puzzle instantly
>Solve next just as fast
>Another pops up
>Then another
>Five total
The fuck, I didn't even get one wrong and it just kept shitting more out for me to do. Is there some arbitrary time gate bullshit, where you're not allowed to solve a captcha too fast and force you to waste X amount of your life proving your not a robot? Btw I'm not a robot.

>Captha already expired by the time I had to post and had to do another two
Sixty niggers

>solving captcha before finishing typing the post

>turn glowstone dust into gold blocks
why are 1.10 mods so disgusting?

Nah nah, my post was only going to be the that first line, went to post then I got slam jammed by Captcha. After I finished solving it I decided to add a rant to my post but by the time I was done typing it up it already expired.

Yeah i realised after posting, i need more sleep

>playing modpack
>turn clouds off
>leaves turn blue when looking at any solid block
????

>pressing f1 fixes it
what the fuck even is this

just use legacy captcha senpai

After repeating what I did before, I manage to get the next goodie. 9 more to go.

This is without f1, with clouds off

with f1

Chisel n bits

Alright new puzzle this time.

Hmm...

Optifine?

This one and Non-Euclidean Maze are the only ones i somewhat enjoyed

nope

>not using legacy captcha

>not paying for a Veeky Forums pass

Also they only give you a certain number of clicks

>giving money to scamming gookmoot

Well I did it, it was about as simple as making a big ass line across the room and waking up patterns.

Half way done on the goodie collecting.

Good it's this easy one again.

lulz, assie complaining about forge dev environment being slow

/mcg/ has only been complaining about that for 4 years while assie defended it

Wow, what a very generous chest.

>/mcg/ has only been complaining about that for 4 years

And I got it down from 45 seconds to 40 seconds a few days ago, and to 28 seconds today after complaining about it.

The main culprits are:

* The deobfuscation transformer, providing runtime deobfuscation of mods, seems to take up a massive amount of the loading time (removing it drops the loading time by ~6 seconds). Obviously, this only works in a development environment, but nallar's CachingClassLoader should make it applicable to modpacks.
* For some mods (not all mods!), parts of the first pass of model loading can be skipped. This will NOT work for every mod, but it works for Charset.

I'm not sure if I can get it down further, but I can always try...

The reason I haven't complained about it earlier is, admittedly, because on my desktop PC the loading time is ~8-10 seconds, which is perfectly fine; however, I currently spend most of the week with a slower dual-core laptop, so I have to hack my way around that.

It's slow because Forge probably CRC checks every class to be genuine because autism.

Actually, it doesn't. Java does that automatically using Mojang's certificate files + hashes.

github.com/asiekierka/ClassCacheTweakerMC shaves off a significant amount of loading time by caching transformed classes - it's a proof of concept based on nallar's original but flawed (worked only on the server side) implementation and should be released soon.

is there anything else that can be cached? It'd be nice to just have the main menu saved like a snapshot in an emulator.

Looks like it was dumb luck how I found the core the first time I did this, and the lack of a breadcumb guiding me makes things even harder.

So instead, I'm creating my own breadcrumb trail by blocking off path leading to dead ends and loops.

>page ten

wed be dead if it wasnt for the thaum blogposter

>thaum