Iberian tribes

What Barbaric tribes inhabited the Iberian Peninsula before the Romans invasion?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.bl.uk/european/2015/07/basque-and-georgian-are-they-related.html
hal_macgregor.tripod.com/gregor/Scythia.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Basque Hyper-Empire

>Portugal
>Port-of-the-Gauls

Gee I wonder

Celts, Iberians, Celto-Iberians, Basque, Carthaginians in the South

Spainard Historians have little shit storms over which was better to be descended from.

Iberians mostly. Indo-European pre-celts, whaty you guys call Celts, and all of them mixed together. Aquitanians too.

Furries

-basques (they were also in France, in Aquitaine)
-Iberians, who were probably related to basques (as in, not same language but same language family)
-celtiberians, who are a kind of mixed celtic and iberian culture
-proper celts
-Lusitanians, who spoke an indoeuropean language, that seems to have been very old since it had characteristics of both celtic and italic languages. Perhaps a lost branch in between those languages.
-nobody knows what kind of language tartessians spoke. anyway, before the roman invasion, southern spain had been under Phoenician and Carthaginian influence for centuries.

Celtic colonization seems to have been a coastal-sea thing, and not a migration through the pyrenees.

The north of Spain, is the only part of Spain in which regions kept their pre roman names, Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria, Pais Vasco.

Asturians and Cantabrians were the last tribes to be conquered by the romans (they were celts), and the Spanish reconquista begun from that region too. The Kingdom of Asturias.

what race were Iberians? were they indo-European or Semetic ?

Afro-Negretian

>Asturians and Cantabrians.
>Celts.
They were from the same wave than the lusitanians, and mixed a lot with Aquitanians and later the Celtiberians and the Celts/gauls than were only common in Galicia. And even those had little to nothing in common with the Gauls of say the Narbonensis or Belgium.

None of those are races you retarded fuck.

Did Iberians really look like this?

Spain most common haplogroup is R1b, basques are nearly 98% R1b in some parts. Language doesn't implies anything, Basque doesn't have any sister language known, and it isn't semitic or indo-european. Heck, some people say it could be an Altaic language, like the Fins.

Asturian here
Tell me about my ancestors

No, those were Sardinians

Those look like Gypsies from Andalucia with a silly horned helmet, I liked how the Germans tourist in this one were bitching about the excess of olive oil everywhere, Based Uderzo. Without memes, they looked like this. Left-most in full combat regalia without helmet, middle Upper class snobs, rightmost plebs.

Uneducated barbarians than barely knew of civilization and were the most retarded and poor. Best warriors after the Cantabrians tough.

they were so brute they used they foreheads as hammers

you wuz romans n shiet

Basque isnt altaic.
It is either a prehistoric (as in hunter gatherer) European language, or most likely a language introduced by the anatolian farmer pioneers who introduced agriculure into europe in the neolithic.
If the second possibility is correct, then the similarities between Basque and kartvelian languages like Georgian make sense.

blogs.bl.uk/european/2015/07/basque-and-georgian-are-they-related.html

Master race

Do we know anything about their religion? Was it just Celtic?

Varied from tribe to tribe, you have since Lug/apolo like to gods like Netón than it's a very weird god than mixes things from Moloch, Zeus, Ares and Hades than seems to be the god the devotii swore for, controlling a sort of abyss/cthonians powers as well as lighting, seems to be one very widespread from the very civilized Turdetani and his Iberian neighbors to the Lusitani Indo-euros . And then you have weird gods like a cave godess than her hands were wolves and all that than you have in a few ceramic tables or a name here and there. But very little literature talking about Iberian gods, they adopted the Romans gods/names like the Romans or Greeks did with the egyptian gods.

Their swords kinda look similar to the ones used by the Maratha Empire.

Falcatas, they look like kopis or big kukris

He's probably referring to the more celtic-like swords

What's up with Spaniards being portrayed as gypsies?

Holy shit

Iberians, Aquitanians, Galaic (what I call the Gaulish like Celts of Spain) Celt-Iberians and the rest all had similiar but very particular desings depending of the Tribe.
If no one objects I will post a few ones to ilustrate that.
Those are a long spear-head, a "Fronton" dagger/short sword and a Falcata,very tipical of the Iberians proper. The falcata is in form like a Kopis/makhaira or Kukry, but in function is different, they had a two edges, the one in the back shorter, and were balanced, so apart of dealing mean strikes they could be used to thrust. They were custome made for they owner, being as long as they user forearm until the lenght of his middle finger. They were in general both a functional weapon and a prestige one, decorated with copper, gold or more commonly silver geometric patterns. The Fronton short sword is another tipical iberian weapon, in the short side for fighting in formation, double edged for dealing blows outside formation and made in high standards and custom made, decorated more commonly than none. The long spear-heads are more typical from the all the costal iberians, but are found in all the peninsula.

"The word Portugal derives from the Roman-Celtic place name Portus Cale. Cale was the name of an early settlement located at the mouth of the Douro River, which flows into the Atlantic Ocean in the north of what is now Portugal. Around 200 BC, the Romans took the Iberian Peninsula from the Carthaginians during the Second Punic War, and in the process conquered Cale and renamed it Portus Cale (Port of Cale). During the Dark Ages, the region around Portus Cale became known by the Suebi and Visigoths as Portucale."

Here a Falcata with his hand-guard deteriorated but with the decorations in silver still in display. Early Falcatas didn't have the closing chain to protect better the hand, and the hand guard was in general in the form of a bird-head. Later one the more common were horses heads or wolf ones for noble swords (altough you can find a few ones with for example bat heads) or simple and less decorated for warriors, the chain guard more common than not.

And this one to show the double edge/fake double edge ubiquitious to falcatas.

The Iberian weapon-smiths were quite good, the metal and construction of the falcata were top notch and warriors and nobles didn't escatimate in they weapons (unlike with armor). Here some cross sections to point in the obsesed attention to the falcatas.

The falcata was the sword prefered be the South East Iberians, than were the most civilized lot. In the North the Iberians prefered longer swords for show who was boss, shorter swords were common and share looks with the Aquitanians whom mixed a lot between them, specially the North-Most Iberians near the Pyrene show hard influnces from the Aquitanians.

>Heck, some people say it could be an Altaic language, like the Fins.
>an Altaic language,
>like the Fins.
First off, Finnish isn't an Altaic language.

Secondly, the Altaic language family is pretty much complete conjecture and not really supported by a lot of linguists.

Thirdly, there's no evidence that Basque is related to either Finnish, Uralic languages, or any of the languages commonly grouped into the supposed Altaic language family.

Here one of the long swords, I seen a few longer but this one ilustrate the type well. The all metal encase is from earlier eras and is another way of showing the status of the warrior.

But what were those weird endings on the handles used for, which both Maratha swords and Iberian swords had in common?

Celts in Portugal, mostly Lusitans.

Atrophied antenas are called those, the Antenas were also used be the Proto-Gauls in antropomorfic variety,and the Aquitanians seems to be the ones than dispersed it to the peninsula, but they are very ancient, you can find some made totally of bronze.
The Atrophied kind is more common in the Celt-Iberia with a very distinc end, but Antenna poignards and short swords were used until they conquest be the Romans be the Galaics tribes of Galicia like this one.

Here some Cogotas short swords handles, you can see the oblong things at the end as an evolution of the antenas. Knowing ancient people it was posible/most likely to be relationed with fertility in some way.

Here some antromorfic from the Hallstat culture in Central europe.

Barbaric
>Celts (Northwest Spain)
>Iberians (Levante; Valencia, Murcia, Alicante...)
>Celtiberians(Middle of the peninsula, both Castillas)
>Tartessos(Guadalquivir river area)

Non-Barbaric

>Phoenicians (Cadiz and the neighbouring areas)
>Greeks (Ampurias and Massalia were the biggest cities)
>Carthaginian (Cartagena obviously)

>Semetic
God damn double digit iq nigger

>Hispania
>His-Pania
>Pania is a maori goddess

Gee I wonder

Basque, the great sailor people they reached uninhabited islands such as Iceland and Orkney before Anyone else

And nowadays they look moorish as fuck

The basques were pretty mid tier, also they aren't a tribe but the visigoths occupied the area (north- western portion) for quite some time.

What the hell is that woman in the background doing planting crops in the middle of a desert

>England
>Land of Eng
>Eng is an anglicized version of Ng, a common Chinese surname

Gee I wonder

Eng comes from the French pronunciation of Anglo where the Ang sounds more like an Eng.

England is literally the common folk trying to say angland

Fucking what

Numantia is a cool history to be read.

essentially a real life Asterix.

no one here mentioned the vandals, which I'm pretty sure, although transient, contributed significantly to the gene pool

>pre roman
nevermind

North Africans look pretty distinct from Spaniards. Can't agree, senpai.

some spanish are distinctly moorish, even today. there's no way that this wouldn't be the case, after 500 years of rape.

I'm sure someone could cite an autosomal dna study. I've seen figures of about 3% for italy. spain might be higher.

Why do /pol/acks have such a fetish for rape? You faggots want rape to happen so badly despite there being very little evidence to support the claim that ruling powers even interbred with the native populace.

It's funny that the people who shout "cuck" the most have such vivid cuck fantasies.

There's definitely more admixture than a lot of Spanish would like to admit but I think the highest it ever gets is 20% on the canary islands. Any less than that will make a slight difference but definitely not what I'd call "Moorish as fuck".

In general I think it's just that Mediterranean people look more similar to each other than southern Europeans do to northerners. A particularly distinct looking sicilian or Spaniard might look non-european to you but that's just because your conception of European is pale skinned germans.

>SJW says ancients didn't rape
>but modern people can rape by uncomfortable eye contact
which is it, faggot?

that might be. more often than not it's just the odd man out who is clearly 25% or 50%.

>a european to you is a german
well, user...

either way, the main distinction between southern and northern euros is the basal populations our r1b ancestors mixed with

the j component in southern europe is around 30% of the total. we're european because of our r1b, but the admixture does matter quite a bit.

We have more Jewish/sephardic influence than Berber. People tend to forget than the berbers and ayyrabs were a minority, and a good deal of the native population and even german Visigoths nobles converted like the famous Banu Qasi (sons of Casius, a Visigothic comes family than converted and tried to make they own kingdom in northen Spain a few times). The two Berbers invasions of Almoravits and Almocades were both beaten and never got much popularity with the natives because they durka durka was viewed as stupid fanatism. And when the Muslims were beaten, and after they revolted or helped North African Pirates, they were given the oportunity of convert or be expelled, and the vast majority (unlike the jews)decided to not convert. And after that the Limpieza de sangre or blood cleaning made sure than no one with a muslim or jewish past got any power, and the Inquisition made sure than false converts didn't turn to they old practices.

>catalonia
>cat
>alonia--catspeak for "land"

Gee I wonder.

Refugees from the fall of Atlantis

Of course. Asterix and Obelix are never wrong, except about Vercingetorix.

>Limpieza de sangre
why didn't you just kill the babies in their cribs?

Seems like those projections would e useful to block a counter riposte after you attacked, using the prongs to catch your opponents blade, and then twist it out of his hand

>they adopted the Romans gods/names like the Romans or Greeks did with the egyptian gods.

Excuse me?

>phoenicians
>in a separate group to Carthaginians
>massalia
>in Spain
>this whole post

Phoenicians aren't necessarily carthaginians

This. Carthaginians were like Americans to England. They are both anglos but England ain't america.

I don't have any experience with fencing/historical marital arts sounds plausible enough, like one of those daggers of the renaissence. The variety of daggers and swords in the peninsula is quite good, I like the wide daggers, cinqueade like, than were probably used as an status symbol.

They loved they knifes. Heck, until the '80 little knifes known as navajas were worn nearly be everyone in the peninsula, but shitty Kinkys and gypsies commiting crime with them made the authorities and public opinion take a very bad opinion of people wearing them.[spoiler] All the males of my family being tecnics of some sort wear a navaja for everyday work anyway, and so do I everytime I leave the house because it's so fucking useful.[/spoiler]

I'm portuguese and i really like to study about the pre-roman iberia because it's a rather misterious era.
However, i look more jewish than pre-roman iberian so sometimes i feel confused and i think that i'm wasting my time studying about false ancestors.

Irish/Scot celts look like Iberian Peninsula Spanish look like Indians from India (but with light eyes and lighter skin).

Prove me fucking wrong.

Well, even Irish chronicles told about the Milesians and how they sailed from the coast of Galicia. Heck, proto-basques were the first humans in the British islands, Brits have more more blood in common with the peninsulars than any other people. Perhaps that why they love to export so many Hindus and P*kis, going to Spain for vacations or why Spaniards find comfy going to London to work.

I'm not kidding, man. I've seen Spanish that look like Irish but with brown eyes and darker skin. Same with Indians. Just change the skin and eye colour and you'd think they're Irish.

Classification for Irish used to be Indo-Aryan and I see this so much and can't talk about it because waaah 'wacism' that it pisses me off.

All very cool to know, thanks. It's just been observational for me but Irish especially I can tell a mile off. Not eye and skin colour but something about their features, especially males. Not all Irish as some are blonde (Nordic?) and others red-heads (imma assume finno-Baltic via the scots).

Fucking fascinates me.

Welsh too tend to look like Iberians, and lots of Scots could pass as Spaniards without problem in winter.

For sure. I'm so happy I found people that know what I'm talking about. It's been driving me crazy for years.

Irish especially seem like some sort of bubble where these genes have taken hold quite strongly. They always tend to fit into very specific looks categories for me. English are very different looking I think. Scots too have a variation of quite bland with brown eyes. Might all be random but I see it enough that I can confidently say it's quantifiable.

I'm from Portugal and what he says is true.
There's plenty of irishmen that look like Iberians. I even dare to say that Iberians can look more like irish rather than italians except that the irish tend to have a lighter skin but when it comes to structure it's really close.

Another thing that i notice is that there's many iberians that tend to fall into the dinarid category. Those that i talk about are generally taller than the usual iberian, really slender or just normal physique, really narrow faces and big noses but with pointy chins and a really pale compexion.

Too lazy to look it up, but I believe there is evidence for the genetic closeness of Welsh/Irish/Scots and Iberians, especially Basques.

It's not hard to imagine why. They're basically the same people, remnants of an early migration to Europe before the Indo-European invasions. The ancestors of modern Welsh, for example, probably spoke some language that was related to Basque before they were conquered by Celts. However, the Indo-European Celtic conquerors seem to have only constituted a ruling class, so the "old" Welsh/Irish/Scots etc were not wiped out.

[spoiler]I'm one of those but I tan easy and i have natural wide shoulder. 1,84m than is in the tall side here but I'm young and people of my age tend to pass 1,80 a lot more than our fathers. My grandad was portuguse and people say I got my body from him. [/spoiler]

Fuck, THANK YOU. I've tried to talk to even Spanish people about this and they think I'm crazy. I've actually wanted to go to the Iberian peninsula just so I can photograph people there. Basques? They lop over into the French as well but the French again seem like some diluted version that's now distinctive in its own way.

Thanks for the heads-up on this other group - dinarid. Imma look it up.

Nah, for sure. I read ages ago (may be disproved now) that there was a migration route from India into what's now Switzerland and then up into Iberia and from there that they jumped to Wales and then Ireland. Also that the Celtic language spoken in Iberia (basque?) is close enough to Irish that you could marginally understand if you were a speaker of one or the other. Long time ago but that's as best I remember.

What really intrigues me though is why this particular set of features is so embedded within each group - some kind of strong genes or something. I dunno.

Ok, this? Do you have any other examples you can post?

>I read ages ago (may be disproved now) that there was a migration route from India into what's now Switzerland and then up into Iberia and from there that they jumped to Wales and then Ireland

Never heard that one, but I wouldn't be surprised. I bet that we would be astounded to learn of the ancient migrations that took place. Another one I've heard is that the Picts were the remnants of Scythians who had been driven out of the steppes of Eastern Europe by invaders. There are many curious cultural similarities.

hal_macgregor.tripod.com/gregor/Scythia.html

Indian here,

Most Spanish people look more like Latinos than Indians. The closest match in terms of looks between me and a Spanish guy is probably the guy on the pic with the orange jacket.

One of the major groups than invaded the peninsula than was Indo-European was the original people than the later proto-lusitanians/asturians/Cantabrians and probably a lot of the celt-iberians originated from, and probably they came from the Pontic area. But all that is shaky and needs funds to be explored. Also basques tend to look like this, the Athletico de Bilbao is quite unique because it only use players than have been born in the Basque country or has Basque roots.

I see. You from the north?

>I've tried to talk to even Spanish people about this and they think I'm crazy.

That's because people generally focus only on the hair and eye colour.

Yes. A great example is the guy on the far left

Excellent link. Bookmarked. Scots are very interesting, yeah. Like I say, they have very distinct variations, the most compelling of which is the brown eyed, short stature version I mentioned earlier. I see it a lot with them and it's very interesting as it seems quite removed from the other groups on the island. For instance I think northern English, especially east coast can look very Germanic which I guess makes sense. English are generally hard to pin down by region, though. I know there was a big influx of Italians into Scotland last century but I can generally tell them separately from this particular variation I mention.

Anyway, great link and more knowledge, thank you.

Alright, cool. Yeah, I know what you mean now. Much finer featured and not that distinctive Irish eyebrow ridge that seems to strike me as most predominant.

I'm going to keep looking out for this now. Reminds me of a tennis player I think. The tallness yeah seems to be a significant feature.

Jesus. So interesting.

My pleasure, bro. Not many are interested in this kind of stuff.

Here in the American South, you occasionally come across Scots-Irish with stunning red hair and light features. I find it hard to believe these types come from the exact same stock as the short-statured brown-eyed Scots you are referencing. Perhaps they are what is left of the Pictish people?

North-East.
Also another tipical Spanish phenotype is the spanish neanderthal like Bardem or Cesc Fabregas.

Other guy burbling on.

See, I would never think of a lot of those being Spanish. Much more finer features and at least two look distinctly Irish to me. A couple look like Englishman as well.

Yeah, has to be something, right?

That red is another one that really fascinates me the way it's so unique. I know for instance you get red head Jews and other groups but actually very different from the Irish/Scots.

Two randomly interesting things I know there: a) red, pale skin used to be THE standard of sublime beauty in Europe for centuries (turns up a lot in Byzantine art to represent the holy family for instance). Indication of rarity? And then b) totally randomly, years ago they had a mummy exhibition in Bristol and they had an Egyptian mummy that they know had red hair and was Northern European in build!!! How fucking amazing is that?! I always, always think about that guy's story. How did he get there? Who was he? What did they think of him? Etc etc etc. Just incredible to think about.

>Not knowing already that Masalia is Marseille
>Needing an explanation like a fucking faggot
>Carthaginians in the same group as Phoenicians
>Etruscans are romans then
>Being this much of a faggot

End your miserable faggy life you daft cunt

So Iraola falls in the Dinarics?
Also another good example of the spanish neandertal looking dudes is Carles Pujol.

>hal_macgregor.tripod.com/gregor/Scythia.html

If you read old Roman/Greek literature, they commonly reference whole tribes as being "red-haired", including the Celts. So either something was lost in translation, they were grossly generalizing, or (scary thought) those genetics have been largely lost or overridden by more dominant brown-haired genes in the millenia since.

BTW, you might be interested in looking up the red-haired mummies of Peru. Pretty deep rabbit hole when you start looking at ancient archaeology of the New World.... don't say I didn't warn you ;)

He knows where Massilia is, thats why hes questioning you. Massilia is not on the Iberian Peninsula at all

> red haired mummies of Peru

Jesus. Thank you!

Yeah, I think it's the latter. They got filtered out with the brown eyed dominance probably. There was a great chat on /r9k/ not long after it started and wasn't full of fucking bawwwfags and we had a long talk with a guy who was an anthropological biologist or something niche the one night when we were talking about red haired afghans etc. He explained blue eyes were a mutation that was just random and got bred from purely for attractiveness. Also redheads were a very old group or old genes. I can't remember but yeah that guy was fascinating and that was one of the best threads I've ever seen on Veeky Forums. Just amazing knowledge right there.

Funny you mention red-haired Jews. I'm a mischling, and on the Jew side there is a lot of red hair. Interestingly, they're some of the most non-Jewish Jews you'll meet. One cousin had a Celtic-themed wedding and always rags on Israel and Zionists. My grandmother on that side loved cooking bacon and refused to go to temple or have anything to do with organized Jewry. She was from an old Sephardic family who'd been here since the Revolution and hated commies (i.e. Ellis Island Jewish/continental agitators). Her uncle was famous for being the first Jew to die as a test-pilot with the Wright Brothers (a very Goyisch way to go, frankly).

Who knows? Maybe they picked up some Pictish/Scythian/Celtic genes at some point along the way.

I would have loved to have seen that thread, it sounds amazing. The real diversity that was lost in the ancient world is probably more than anyone can imagine. Imagine whole tribes of stocky redheads, or tall blond Nordics like Dolph Lundgren. That must have once existed, and probably in places that most people wouldn't even realize (look up the Tocharians/Tarim-basin mummies to see how far Indo-Europeans traveled)

>BTW, you might be interested in looking up the red-haired mummies of Peru. Pretty deep rabbit hole when you start looking at ancient archaeology of the New World.... don't say I didn't warn you ;)

WE