Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-13/rate/122787
twitch
youtube.com/watch?v=lxhjdNsI5EI&list=PL3UnRTGSnUmnm1hXgsXZ7BmV__qq3Vyql
boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/25/mean-clean-state-machine.html
vocaroo.com/i/s0S5RwRM2tGC
youtube.com/watch?v=bPv0FSeB5Wg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I decided on a dev name for myself, I'm gonna call myself nodev because I'm writing a game in node (get it? lol)

>demoday 13 hype is dead before the submission deadline is here

anyone want me to stream their demo

Nah, I think I've gotten all I can out of watching folks play my game for now.

It's the same every DD.

Press F to pay respects to Sir Howard Hodgkin, AGDG incarnate.

>"People have often said to me, 'aren't you lucky to be able to do this for a living' and I say no, thank you, I'm not lucky," he told the BBC in 2014.
>"I may be lucky with the result but to go through the horrors of painting pictures is not something I ever look forward to."
>“I’ve always hated doing it.” Seriously? “Yes, seriously.” So why carry on? “It’s what I do. I have no other skills. It’s always been agony.”

It should honestly probably be 24 hours

Is this real?
>I have no skill at thing and hate doing it but someone mistook my utter incompetence for artistic brilliance once and now I have to keep doing this forever because if I stop they'll stop throwing money at me

repost, working on auto incline adjustment because there isn't any right now.

HD portraits, no more mixels.

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-13/rate/122787

No one I've seen has beat the second boss yet. Still need opinions on balancing, would be appreciated!

Yes, user, that's what careers are built on.

twitch
.tv/starto_sil/

streaming your game

sweet

One time repost for anyone who cared but missed it.
Thank you for trying the demo! Four of the biggest concerns I have seen besides keyboard and dpad issues (which I fixed with the v_3 upload) I will address below.

1. Lag/fps:
I have not nailed down the recommended system requirements yet so it will not run at 60fps for all players (but it absolutely can run at 60). I will do my best to optimize things so more people to enjoy the game.

2. Invisible hitbox:
I noticed most ppl never used the Focus button in their plays/attempts. If you hold the Focus button (default is Shift on kb and L.Trigger on controller) it will both slow down your movement to make dodging easier as well as make your hit box visible (a small dot in the middle of her sprite). Focus also brings your burst flames in closer if you have any so you can concentrate your attacks.

tl;dr Use focus for dodging and concentrating attacks and unfocused for faster movement and spread attack

3. Difficulty:
I am striving for this to be as accessible as possible to even casual/beginners of the genre but at this early stage I knew balance was still yet to be reached. I added a Lost Coin Purse to the Shrine>Offering section for this purpose. Normally you get spirit coins by playing but this option will let you not only get enough coins to buy all of the upgrades above it (lives, credits, dust) but it will also let you start the demo with max burst

4. Burst button does nothing:
In order to use your Burst attack for large damage and score boost your gauge under your portrait needs to read 5.0/4.0
Each 1.0 you get up to 4 will add a black flame which attacks with you to increase your overall damage. Exceeding will give you a blue flame (picture related) which indicates you can fire it. Firing it drops you back to 4.0/4.0

Use your Special (tap, release, and then hold shoot) to fire red and build burst faster but you have to refresh it every few seconds.

Thank you again for giving my project a chance!

>mfw that boobgrab

How many FPS does your game get when you let it run on unlimited SANIC speed?
Mine gets 5.5k on average.

Believe it or not there are already a few of those out there

my optimization sucks

node sucks, but the pun/name is great

I don't have a computer that can run it turbofast but apparently some of the people doing streams are running my game at 2k or 3k FPS

Lots of boring backend progress, but there's fancy new menus now, and those play better for webms.

If anyone's got any suggestions for options (besides visible hitbox and legacy hud, working on that now) feel free to post 'em.

Usually hovers around 2k, but goes up to 5k sometimes.

My engine doesn't let me go over 60.

I mean, I guess I could program in an FPS limit that you set.

the perspective on the red buildings look weird

>he doesn't know how to make a state machine

having things that are two or more pixels wide doesn't automatically mean you have mixels, especially if you're going for a stylized, uh, style, like you clearly are

I don't, got any tutorials that can help me?

>want to rip some textures
>.crn
what do

howd you make this user

120-140 FPS standing still, 100-110 FPS in motion
I was thinking of letting the player pick their FPS cap, with settings at 24, 25, 30, 45, 50, 60, 70, 90, 100, 120, 200, and uncapped-- or something like that

I'll have you know my entire game is a series of state machines

Why not just let the player type in any number, and 0 be uncapped?

this
it feels too easy to be correct

Guys the videos are finally done processing for the first batch, the descriptions got deleted though for some reason.

youtube.com/watch?v=lxhjdNsI5EI&list=PL3UnRTGSnUmnm1hXgsXZ7BmV__qq3Vyql

>Monolith
>Yokrytte
>Umbrella Warriors
>Ghost Knight Victis
>MoGiSho
>Ctesiphon Alpha
>International Bounty Hunter

These are the current games recorded so far. The recordings aren't lets plays, they're pretty much only for statistical video reference that the devs can use. I tried to cycle through menu options, use gamepad/keyboard/mouse, and various other test stuff.

International Bounty Hunter DEV!
I had a bug with the load box that popped up that I tried to replicate but wasn't able to. Its at about 1:09, 1 min 9 secs, I thought it might be related to the resolution and windowed mode but I couldn't replicate it like I said before.

Today I Implemented movement and line of sight for the portion of my game that involves moving around.

The idea is you'll be finding food and resources while bigger players try to find and eat you.

pastebin.com/UPvj6rHb
$100 please

Yeah, a couple of the buildings in the middle row are also at different perspectives; it'll probably get another art pass sooner or later, after the first level is done. It's pretty serviceable as a title screen right now, though.

My game doesn't look as good as the ones people post on here, should I give up?

god damn if the whole bob ross gamedev was just a setup for this joke it was worth it

just say the art is ironically bad

>public class StateMachine
You lose.

recursive pushing works with rotator blocks!

but I broke non-recursive

whats the difference between the dark green and light green tiles?

but UI design IS fun

I think your game has some pretty great gameplay but honestly the writing and character design need complete overhauls, they are as boring as it gets. "Edgy teen living with his grandma finds an ancient secret in a tiny cave just outside town" doesn't cut it.

the right side of the leftmost red building is the biggest offender. other than that its looking really really good.

Is the Megaman Battle network clone dev still alive?

Now 100x the effort!

He posted a few hours ago.

Its real early looks wise. The two shades of green are grass and brush (brush will be visible but you can only see whats inside if you're connected).

The light tiles are whats in your line of sight and the darker ones are out of line of sight.

Grey tiles are rocks.

Actually looks like you introduced mixels...

Now you've got fat pixels (eyes, mouth) and small pixels (everything else).

It's a generic example user

boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/25/mean-clean-state-machine.html

Currently making the background for my game

here is some progress

Walljumping that feels okay and a new emoji added. I want to redo the eggplant one but it is hard to draw a small eggplant.

120-130 in Firefox, 240 in Chrome. This is on Linux with open-source AMD drivers.

>he doesn't have a change_state function with double nested switch statements

Dang that tree is gnarly. Neat.

huh cool. i look forward to seeing your progress.

Did the Ctesiphon dev use Sonniss as an audio source? I think I recognize one of the "machine whirr" sounds from there.

Most indie devs (that actually release games) are indie studios that have to pay for an office, payroll, hardware, (legal) software and contract stuff out such as music, promotion and VAing... and most of this stuff is paid for with loans, investors or the team's savings.
When you see these sorts of statistics bandied around, remember that they're talking about professional independent teams who specifically do it as a job, not hobbists or amateurs who do it in their spare time.
An amateur dev should not have any overhead other than green-light, unless you are a complete idiot.

>tfw you add something new and it causes a bug because of an oversight you made earlier without realising

Is this guy ever gonna make more tutorial type stuff? This state machine article actually helped me a ton with understanding how to make a state machine a couple months ago. I'd like to see more.

thanks I forgot to make it bigger so you can actually see here it is bigger

>try to make happy song
>sounds like a distorted ambient rape song where the protagonist is trapped on the moon or something

we moon level now boys

Sorry.

I'll contribute a compiler tutorial if people want that.

>sounds like a distorted ambient rape song
doubt

Updated the previous demo day and jam pastebins. Use them for the next thread, whoever makes it.

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/rmiZV5yX

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/LKEdLxdG

you have to post it now user

LINK DAT SHIT IGGA

anyone got any good tutorials on pixel art?

The right portrait looks low-res compared to actual ingame graphics, sorry there was no context.

I realize the writing's weak in the beginning, but I'm hoping to make the world a lot more interesting through the characters you meet later. Character design is boring though, but I'm pretty lost on how to create good designs...

The eyes are thick on purpose, mouth I'll have to rethink.

>$1050 paycheck every two weeks
>after costs of living
>"we only get 12 dollars an hour guys!"
>On top of the massive potential profits from a successful game

AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH

HEY GUYS CHECK OUT MY DANK RISK FREE ENTERPRISE!

They probably sleep in their studio too so they're straight up pocketing their paycheck.

is it better to make your own music or pay someone else to make it?
How much money do composers expect per song? Does it depend on the length?

>mfw I'm CC'd on company invoices
>I get to see how much each project makes
>calculate how many 'me's each project is worth
>continually reminded of how underpaid I am versus how much profit is turned each year

Aw shit, son, do an X-Naut Fortress level.

Depends on as many factors as you can imagine, user.

vocaroo.com/i/s0S5RwRM2tGC

>all his art looks like it was made by a toddler
>pretentious artfags pretend it's not shit
>everyone is too afraid of being ridiculed as uncultured to state the obvious, that his meme art is terrible and belongs on the walls of a daycare
>millions of dollars and a knighthood later, this dude dies

I can't hate the fact this guy hustled tons of money out of fools.

>I have no skill at thing and hate doing it but someone mistook my utter incompetence for artistic brilliance once and now I have to keep doing this forever because if I stop they'll stop throwing money at me
He's not wrong.

The indie scene can be good for contractors and team members who have no financial investment in the company. For investors and people dumb enough to fund the studio with their own loans or savings, it's a financial apocalypse.
This is why you often see indie companies that put out one apparently successful game and then fold; the people paying the bills usually lose money or barely make a profit to justify the effort and risk, even with a game that sells well.

A game needs to be interesting right from the beginning, it doesn't matter if the second half is the best story ever told if most people won't even reach it because the first half is so boring.

There's no world building, the city is boring as all hell and there's no sense of urgency in the plot, nothing actually happens other than the player talking to the convenient plot device known as the old healer woman that directs the player to whatever he needs to do next.
It feels like you are just copying some very superficial tropes from other games without any personality and coherence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm only shitting on your game because I liked it and I think it has potential.

anyone have any good Blender tutorials?

How the hell does dungeon design work? Like, do you just randomly place keys, rooms and enemies and puzzles until something is fun?

You have to imagine the history of the dungeon. What was it for originally? How old is it, where was it built? How did it get so fucked up with monsters? You gotta play Dwarf Fortress in your head.

Build backwards.

What the fuck?
This was meant to be happy?

a-user, what does happy mean to you?

jesus

consider a therapist

very good unsettling music, very shit happy music

dungeon design should work based on what your game is

for instance if your dungeon is very large you could feature a vender for the player to sell goods to

or if your dungeon is very small you make it so it loops around once you finish it

a perfect dungeon to me is black rock depths or hellfire ramparts

the way to move should be clear but also leave way for exploration

you shouldnt have puzzles in your dungeon just because

make it so that the puzzles reflect on the dungeon

such as in legend of zelda when there's some fire dungeon you can make water lava platforms by dropping water or something

This unironically sounds like music you'd hear while fighting Giygas from earthbound. Go make a secret ungodly horror boss and make this its bgm.

youtube.com/watch?v=bPv0FSeB5Wg