So, are there any advantages at all to buying from a used car dealership versus a private party?

So, are there any advantages at all to buying from a used car dealership versus a private party?

not unless you want your wife to enter in an elicit sexual relationship with a stranger.

just kidding. in all seriousness and in the name of good advice you can swindle the banker clowns using gap coverage

then you can just wreck your car when you want a new one. fuck the police.

Dealerships usually offer the best used cars but you have to pay more.

Private parties are basically everything. You can get a shit car at a low price or a good car at a low price.

either way is it worth checking out used cars with over 100k mileage?

You should take it to a shop for a check-up either way. Unless you are mechanically inclined and actually know your shit around the specific vehicle, which generation is prone to which issues etc.

what if my local auto shop only accepts appointments?

Bought my last used car at a dealership because they gave me 2 years of warranty with the car. Sure it was more expensive, but just erring on the safe side.

Yes, if properly maintained there's no risk in doing so. Better get a high mileage car with full service history than a moderate mileage one with absolutely no idea of what has been done to it.

Dealers have a legal duty of care that is to a higher standard than a private individual thus offering you more recourse in the event of a problem. That's why shady dealers often try to pass as private sellers.

At a dealer you have the power to negotiate having things fixed on the car.

Yeah if you're buying CPO.

Free cup of coffee

>CPO
A meaningless sales gimmick

>he doesn't go for the popcorn

Make an appointment?

>Dealerships usually offer the best used cars
No they buy cheap shit auction cars and detail the hell out of them.

Depending on the used dealership they could have better cars and easier to get financing. Also they may come with a warranty or may offer to sell you a warranty which may be worth it.

Then again, it could be some sleazy place.

A warranty is never meaningless. It's the single best option for a car

Dealers have no emotional attachment and sell cars to make money only, so you can pull off some insane deals by being a confident dickhead.

Then again there are always those "My husband cheated on me so I'm selling his Mustang for 500$" deals lurking on CL like the lottery.

Biggest advantage of a dealer is you can go get a feel for the type of car you want and drive everything. If you already know exactly what you want then it doesn't really matter, shop both and get the best deal.

I've only ever bought from private sellers. When I was shopping around at dealers, every single one of the [used] cars I test drove had some sort of problem. First one had the check engine light on. Next one had a grinding sound in the front right wheel. This pattern continued until I decided the dealers had no idea what they were selling to me. Private sellers are more attached to their cars and as such are SO much more likely to know the car they are selling. If you're good at reading people (sensing when they're lying or trying to rip you off), you should have no problem finding a great car for a low price

Depending highly on the country that you live in, but here(Finland), when you buy from dealership, the consumer protection laws are on your side. When you buy from private, you might get better deal, but cars are sold "as is".
Dealership=safer, private=cheaper, unless"I know what I got".

Private you pay taxes on a 1$ car
Stealership you pay taxes on whatever you pay for the car.

The cleanest used cars are usually traded in on new cars at OEM dealerships.

You'll get trades like an immaculate 07 Impala that was traded in on a new caddy CT6. Or a 07 DTS with 14k miles. Or a 99 DeVille serviced with blank checks, including a $3900 full engine reseal because it leaked oil.

Any car that's a good deal on craigslist gets snapped up by flippers the same day...