Tile guy here. Quick question:

Tile guy here. Quick question:

I got a customer who I did $1000 of work for. As we wrapped up the guy said he'd put a check in the mail, his wife had the checkbook. In all my time as a contractor I've never been screwed so I didn't really give a fuck.

He mailed me a check for $900, which I cashed. I called the guy to let him know it was $100 short. He said, "my mistake, I'll put another check in the mail". Well months went by, another call, another call, etc...

It's now been 90 days, 3 notices, and still no $100. It's only $100 and I really DGAF. But it's the principle of it damnit!

So I sent him an email today that basically said he still owed me $100 and I was gonna lien his house if he does not pay (a bluff). Well his wife sends me a 3 paragraph email that they don't owe me anything, my math is off, that I broke the law by threatening a lien, she was gonna contact her lawyer and leave me negative reviews online.

So. Wat do?

Shouldnt of accepted the cheque they sent and then demanded full payment.
Cosult a lawyer and be prepaired to spend tripple to make an example of them or get the fuck over it and learn from your mistake.

Makes sense. I think if I had done that, they would have fucked me even worse.

If it helps I have an email where the guy states he still owes me the $100.

I'd honestly just egg their car and house or something and move on with my life.

Did you have them sign a contract which stipulated terms of payment for services rendered?

If so, I'd just file the lien. If they're trying to stiff you $100 then they certainly don't have a couple thousand to retain an attorney to fight $100.

You did the right thing by cashing that check. At least you got the $900. Consider what might have happened if you had not cashed it and instead called the customer to demand more money: The customer might have then canceled his check and refused to pay you and you would get nothing. What would you do then? Waste your time and money to sue him for $1000 dollars?

Some people are crooks and will try to cheat you. If you are unlucky enough to do business with them, take whatever you can get and do your best to avoid them in the future.

Bluffing that you would put a lien on his house was a mistake. "Do a good job, and people keep quiet. Do a bad job and they will tell everyone about it". Your reputation in business is worth far more than 100 dollars. Negative reviews can hurt business.

You are lucky user. A 100 dollar loss is the first time you've been screwed as a contractor? Pretty cheap lesson to learn.

Source: My family runs a painting company

Don't waste your time with this nonsense user. You are a skilled tradesman. How much is your time worth? What if this guy actually wants to be a prick about this and will fight you? He and his wife will certainly leave nasty reviews everywhere if you continue to pursue the money. Move on. Focus on building your business. 100 dollars is nothing.

Atleast here in germany it's pretty easy to get an official default summons(got that from dict.cc "Mahnbescheid"). You can even get them to pay interest on that amount. If they don't pay that you can still sue them, maybe if you threaten them with that they will give in, I would still go with it because fuck them.

Let it go. It's only $100. More important shit in the world. They sound like crazy, cheap cunts. And even if they're trash they can still slander you online effectively.

You shouldn't have said you'll lein their house though, you were kind of asking for this.

i'd wait a few months and cause $1000 of damages to their house.....revengecolddish

Sadly I know you are 100% right.

I think I'm just getting bored. I could do this job in my sleep.

But the idea that someone could say "Yeah I'll just fuck this guy over" was bothering me.

The best thing to do is warn your fellow tradesmen about these jerks who try to rip people off.

They'll remember you when the tradesmen want nothing to do with them.

>Wat do?
Send me their address. I am the guardian angel. Shoot me an email:

[email protected]

tyle guy? wheres that cleaner guy who knows those brown kids from disney around? call him up

Seriously OP message me.

>Move on. Focus on building your business. 100 dollars is nothing.
t. Homeowner that ripped OP off

I wouldn't answer and just let it go. Then smash his window a few months later

Thanks but no thanks.

I wish their were a reverse Angie's List. Million dollar idea here?

Sadly he's right. There's no way to win, and fighting will only hurt me. As a strong believer in right and wrong it gets under my skin though.

I won't leave any indication that it was you. You will have an airtight alibi. I'll wait a few months just to be sure. Or years. These cheap niggers have probably ripped off so many people. You believe in right and wrong. Tit for tat. Those assholes stole $100 from you and threatened to leave you bad reviews. They are wrong thinking they have power over you. They are shoving their power boner in your face. Fuck them. Bad people come to bad end, I won't do anything worse than $100. Tit for tat. I'm always there for you, bro, if you need me.

Had same shit pulled on me. Same amount, but for web development. Client gave money to employe go give to me, he transfered 100 short. I simply removed parts of the website and said give a receipt and I will fix it.

/diy/ had a similar thread a month or so back.
Basically what contractors do to deal with dipshits that stiff them is stealthily make shit not work so they can come back and ``fix'' them.
In example, one was a bricklayer building a chimney. Clients were going to stiff them so he put a glass panel in the chimney he built.
Clients complain that their chimney doesn't work, he gets paid, and ``fixes'' it by dropping a rock down the chimney.