/scg/edg/ Star Dangerous Elites General #140: ARE MAG Edition #3

This General is a Regulation-Free Zone: we maintain the neutral zone between the blind chaos of anarchy and the retarded nurgleite zealotry of nationalisation. Posters making absurd claims that trade unions are beneficial or that the Falklands are not an integral part of the United Kingdom will be detained and accused of being IRA provocateurs.

Official Thread Theme: youtube.com/watch?v=nnToK3kSKKg

Previous: Elite: Dangerous information:
pastebin.com/ZT9GWmaC
Be aware, Thargroids are currently grabbing ships out of witchspace with unknown intentions. it is advised you shoot the fuck out of them whenever possible.
Gamescom info:
community.elitedangerous.com/eventseason16
heise.de/newsticker/bilderstrecke/bilderstrecke_3298445.html?back=3298273
gamestar.hu/gamescom/elite-dangerous-horizons-2-2-guardians-update-gamescom-2016-frissites-ujdonsagok-215519.html
>Frontier Official YT
youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/videos
>CitCon2016 Full Presentation:
youtube.com/watch?v=XuDj5v81Nd0
>Star Citizen Official YT
youtube.com/channel/UCTeLqJq1mXUX5WWoNXLmOIA
>Subscriber Vault pics and JPoint Magazine Archive
mega.nz/#F!3tpUlapR!knV_JazwxfM-xct6PJyPEw
Referral code randomizer:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WNKNAuruiI1p5XGPjtVi_uwi8wPmuEYawOKQuhRXfdw/edit#gid=953337098

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PEQTj8dTOC0
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/sealofapproval.php#id--Computer_Simulation
youtube.com/watch?v=qjWEGlot35Y
robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/Pax-East-Free-Fly
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>that face

S U C C

core dynamics/gutamaya bes ships

Can we kick the /edg/ faggots out please?

>we're not rescuing a million princesses, that would just be silly, the economic value of princesses would go down
sure david

WHAT THE FUCK

OW THE EDGE

Should I melt my Herald for a Prospector?

It'll be less a question of kicking and more a question of just making /scg/ as its own thread again. Of course /edg/ discussion will not be ok in /scg/. But this is a joint general user, they have as much right to be here as we do, it is a sacrifice being made for the purpose of having the general survive the night.

>asp

I just watched some of this livestream and Braben seems like a nice guy. You can tell he cares about his game. He makes it sound so interesting. As someone who only played like 20 minutes and got a refund, it makes me want to buy the game again. For example, that whackjob guy who set up away from the bubble near that alien tech and sightings, and how you have to travel to different NPCs for them to do stuff for you like upgrade your stuff. And how people set up their own colony on the edge of the galaxy and it takes a long time to get there.

It would be even cooler if you could fast travel to another galaxy and some people set up a colony there for people to travel to, and it could have all new stuff there in future patches.

But I'm not going to fool myself, I know there's not much more to the game than grinding credits to buy bigger ships.

If the game didn't have grind, I think I'd like it more.

If you have LTI, upgrade, don't melt for non-LTI. Also I don't see "data running" being anything interesting unless you get paid a lot from NPCs for it. People will just tell things to their org in spectrum, not make some kind of profession out of it, at least in my opinion.

no he's right it's all about market value of subjective princesses

and the control of their means of production!

also we EVE now

Short version yes, long version yes because the herald will not have definable value until player orgs are producing stuff like jump coordinates that are valuable enough to be securely moved from system to system or the mission systems is developed enough for niche missions like that to be generated for a single hull to the exclusion of others. The prospector will be a money printer as soon as mining, which as been confirmed now as a 3.0 feature, is released. The prospector is SC's version of pic related, which is one of the cheapest and simplest ways for a newb to make money in EVE.

Anyone been following the Infinity Battlescape development? I just read the Kickstarter emails occasionally but I haven't been paying attention too much.

it´s the Molyneux effect
a delusional person who has a dream and believes to the bitter end in it while failing in actually putting it out, at least he doesn´t run around talking about features like the no mans sky idiot

I'm still convinced that the whole 'selling point of interest coordinates' and whatever is gonna be a gimmick that nobody uses at best. Data running is probably just gonna be the same as trading, except it takes up some arbitrary space on your hard drive instead of cargo bay.

>expecting 3.0 this year

Braben would be good if the things he said had any relevance to game mechanics
He should have stuck to writing video games in machine code

>I'm still convinced that the whole 'selling point of interest coordinates' and whatever is gonna be a gimmick that nobody uses at best
Pretty much what we said. The concept is cool, but I don't see it being much of an actual profession.

Prospector looks more viable, but I don't know about the interior, the Herald's interior is pretty comfy.

>People will just tell things to their org in spectrum, not make some kind of profession out of it
Coordinates will be too complicated to simply be passed around, additionally, we will likely not have an option to just type coords into the nav computer and warp to spot. You will have a navcom which will have an input slot that eats "data" items like coordinates and adding a data item to the navcom will add a bookmark for you to warp to. That data items will have to be passed out to anyone you want to give the location of say a hidden player owned warehouse to, and in order to get the passed out securely you will need to courier them not transmit them, in a way that they can be quickly and completely purged if the courier is intercepted, lest your coordinate data tokens be captured and your warehouse compromised. This will be an org thing for the most part. since individuals will not need so much to pass out that information to others, they will just use markers they have laid themselves.

So uh.. Star Citizen is lacking behind...

Elite Dangerous has already beaten it to the punch with character creation.

Well, it's standard MISC.

That bed is tiny.

Its a cramped sleeping box on a working ship that probably also doubles as an escape pod. It's not meant for max comfy, like everything on misc ships its meant for max function.

well the actual play of it could be very different; data will take up no physical space and add no mass to your ship, as well it might be prevalent in war efforts so you'll potentially be finding more datarun jobs through dangerous territory and can do it in nimble little ships outfitted with some servers, basically being a CTF flag carrier through a warzone, or trying to stealth it through military/police patrols in the case of illegal info running, as opposed to just pushing a heavy load in a big slow ship and hoping like hell that nobody starts shooting at you.

and star citizen beat it to space legs by about 4 years.
does that space blankie come standard in all MISC ships? comfy as hell bth, hope they add one to the Freelancer, if only in a closet somewhere.
>item 2.0 ship customization
>change sheets?
>Standard White (4) (in use)
>Captain's Space (1) (stored)

is character creation actually in the game now? I'm doubtful given we haven't been spammed with pink mohawk dykes and Braben facsimiles in this thread. SC just teased theirs the other day as well, so it seems like they're roughly on par.

I like those new shit kits.

Soon, as in, a week or two.

EVE beat all of you ;-)

>and star citizen beat it to space legs by about 4 years.
>muh cryengine had it

lmao fuck off

fetal alcohol syndrome

That's a pureblood finn!

Two Weeks™ you say?

some real fishmouth happening there

how come AtV doesn't use clips of player gameplay in between segments anymore? it would seem ideal, now that they've got call of duty mode surely providing an endless stream of sick w33dl0rd MLG strats

>over 900 years into the future
>still using iron sights on rifles and pump shotguns

people still hunt with bows and spears user. if it works, why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

They just work™

No one wants to pew with lasers

oh, I won't defend the pump on the shotgun though, that's fucking retarded. strictly a gameplay balance decision from concept stage that it didn't end up needing thanks to all it's other flaws, yet persisted from the original design.

Enough time to squeeze fehu/quince for what they're worth, or for 17 Draconis to go back into civil war.

Star citizen is not speculative fiction about the future of humanity in 900 years. It is a game of cold war era technology set to roman politics in a space. Spoiler Alert:Earth is Roma, Terra is Byzantium The Vanduul are the migration period germannic tribes that eventually sacked Rome.

for 25 years from 1990 to 2005ish video games were all emulating the second world war in terms of mechanics of combat, because that's what was widely known and understood. Since 2005ish we have been emulating the Cold War as it becomes widely known and understood due to the declassification of its secrets. In 20 years or so well star emulating the "War on Terror" and all gameplay will consist or arresting enemy combatants like they're drug dealers, convene secret committees to secretly sentence individuals to death by drone strike, sitting in a FOB in a grey brown shithole deciding whether to kill yourself or go on a civilian murdering spree, and alternate stints of stand on a street corner waiting to be carbombed/sniped or driving around waiting to strike an IED.

The fact that in an effectively infinite galaxy, you all are always paying attention to like less than a half dozen systems is really telling about the value of a huge world in general and about the "mile wide inch deep" nature of E:D in particular.

The part that really upsets me is that 17D and Quince are one of the few unique systems in the game because of the missions they give out. After the update, there will be very little reason to make the trip out to either system.

It'd be nice if they didn't use level scaling and if enemies got harder and payouts got bigger the further you went from the center of the bubble but here I go again with wishful thinking.

17d is in unrest boys

SO when E:D is inevitably BTFO by SC how many of you are going to name your SC ships and bases after E:D things for Nostaliga's sake.

UEES Vision
Asteroid Base Quince
Bulk Merchant Carrier 17 Draconis

By that time I will have my own irl spaceship tho.

I'll call it Lust for jaypegs.

Cold war technology would be all about long range missile slinging at targets you can barely see, not manned turrets and close range dogfights. Still, it seems kinda boring that no one wants to really think about what the future could plausibly be

When 2.3 hits I'm naming my FAS "Still Waiting for SC 3.0"

>gameplay follows the declassification of documents
What the fuck?

>for 25 years from 1990 to 2005ish
>25 years
The rest of your post is just as retarded as this

elite sale when?

CIG is streaming on their twitch channel, Sean Tracy is talking about character customization now.

We're still trying to figure out why we should leave the planet in the first place let alone what kind of guns we would need to bring.

>for 25 years from 1990 to 2005ish video games were all emulating the second world war in terms of mechanics of combat, because that's what was widely known and understood. Since 2005ish we have been emulating the Cold War as it becomes widely known and understood due to the declassification of its secrets. In 20 years or so well star emulating the "War on Terror" and all gameplay will consist or arresting enemy combatants like they're drug dealers, convene secret committees to secretly sentence individuals to death by drone strike, sitting in a FOB in a grey brown shithole deciding whether to kill yourself or go on a civilian murdering spree, and alternate stints of stand on a street corner waiting to be carbombed/sniped or driving around waiting to strike an IED.
all of this is fucking retarded

That trailer is neat.
youtube.com/watch?v=PEQTj8dTOC0
Getting alien vibes from it

It's simple, galactic lebensraum

I mean early cold war, like Korea to Vietnam.
A mix of gun fighters with primitive missiles, prop and jet bombers with turrets but also guided weapons. Weapons are manually aimed not automated. Large ships that focused more on support than direct combat. Ubiquity of automatic weapons in close combat but before the introduction of stuff like drones and hyperwar making the individual combatant little more than a vulnerable fragile target that must be protected from instadeath. We're well past "WW2 In space" like star wars or 90s era space games, but were not even approaching the level of automation of say the early 1990s, when combat really started to become a point and click adventure for the faction with the most money and by extension most advanced standoff range toys.

Writers and designers take inspiration from existing tech and established fiction more than they just pull mechanics out of thin air. As the military's toys and tricks come out of classification they get written into fiction, and non fiction alike as the latest and greatest, even though the technology has existed for decades behind closed doors. Art emulates life. Speculative Art does sometimes inspire life, but most of the time its the other way around.

yeah well, what about it, 15 years, happy?

Have we started the fire?

Anyone else ready to remove xeno?

>polaris raids deep into alien space

is there a cultural thing about not washing your face?

mfw I could watch Sean Tracey all day.

>thargoids update
>fast and maneuverable, ass glue unless you have A rate thrusters
>buffed shields
>ignore heat damage
>some kind of hitscan weapon that will probably be more fucked up than rails
>never miss, chaff and ECM do nothing against them
>they pull you out of warp at random and trying to fight against them is an endurance battle
>but you better fucking do it because power creep from new alien engie blueprints

I am confident this is how it will go down.

I want that ASP kit and skin.
>that rust
>them bolted on fuel tanks and piping
>them welded edgy spikes
And I don't even drive the ASP.

>Writers and designers take inspiration from existing tech and established fiction more than they just pull mechanics out of thin air.
Oh, that's right. Remember all these weapons from Quake and Doom and Unreal Tournament being based on real life ones? No wait, they were completely made up for the sake of looking and playing cool. Actual WW2 games actually came later and were a step down from that, but still not in the slightest representative of actual WW2 combat.
>As the military's toys and tricks come out of classification they get written into fiction
>even though the technology has existed for decades behind closed doors.
Yeah, like what? What games since 2005 use "declassified Cold War weapons"? You're talking out of your ass. Why the fuck would we get "War on terror" games in 20 years? We already know everything about it, and it doesn't make for fun gameplay.

>HOOOOOONNNNK

Does everything involving big aliens or monsters have to use that sound in the trailer?

>Still, it seems kinda boring that no one wants to really think about what the future could plausibly be

I think we are actually in a golden age in term of of space game,
You'll find out it's hard to make a realistic game when the laws of physics do not cater to the sort of gameplay you hoped for. You need to make concession to make it playable, more to make it fun.

Have some CODE (or CHODE if that's your mileage)
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/sealofapproval.php#id--Computer_Simulation
youtube.com/watch?v=qjWEGlot35Y

Gravity of the planet will effect the flight model in SC.

So shouldn't every ship's upward thrusters be many times more powerful than other thrusters?

space magic

Like is saying, the future of space combat if it ever happens will be extreme ranges, hypervelocity weapons and unmanned systems instakilling each other before the target even recognizes the attack. A human in such an environment would just be a fragile and vulnerable weak link that had to be protected, at the expense of combat effectiveness.

Melee system scheduled later this year in SC.

So in 10 years, got it

Or all the thrusters are so obscenely powerful that the upward thrust necessary to maintain hover is tiny relative to potential. Our main engines can accelerate several tons of starfighter to .2c in seconds, that's many orders of magnitude more than is need to hold a geostationary hover.

Main engines = .2c In system jumping and Pulses for AB. Mav thrusters are tiny in comparisons but still far more powerful and efficient than anything that exists in the real world today.

Yeah I guess you're right. Near-ish future space combat would be like even more terrifying submarine warfare for human crews

I would hardly call the Quantum Drive an ordinary thruster, since activating it doesn't kill your crew from the instant G forces.

I don't want to punch people, I want to cruise through the troposphere of a gas giant

Apparently, I wonder if theres some law requiring it. Or maybe (((They))) mandated either on their own or as a form of conditioning passed down to them by their ayy lmasters.

what

optional content friend, it's not going to be super advanced at least in the first iteration either.

That's what it sounds like in game though

Thargoid genocide when?

THE ONLY GOOD BUG IS A DEAD BUG

EDF EDF

is this the case with current vtol jets? suddenly the spaceplane designs everyone moans endlessly about make a lot of sense, huh?

thargoid genocide best day of my life

soon

Are you doing your part?

I wish they would sell the chrome paint job for the Cutter again

robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/Pax-East-Free-Fly

free fly is up

I don't know about all VTOL jets but the F-35 turns its backwards thruster downwards

How much do I have to shell out in SC to get a good starting ship? I followed the directions in the pastebin and got a LN but it seems pretty crappy.

The instant they actually take off the fucking plot armor.

earn some REC by doing races and vanduul swarm, get yourself some decent rate of fire guns and harder hitting missiles

also, acknowledge that ben is a cancer who has fully embraced pay to win; just avoid direct combat with vanguards, sabres, superhornets, etc and only take shots at them when they're engaged elsewhere. there really needs to be class brackets for AC ship combat, but everyone is currently thrown into the same arena and nobody seems to see a problem with that.

You damn millennials, if you want to just blow shit up go play call of duty. This is Elite, not just some childish "game"

fly safe o7

LN is good, it wont compete head on with the $170 wallet warrior fighters, but its solid, If you really want to spend more money, You can get an Avenger for like $60, but honestly don't buy ships with a power scale in mind they get rebalanced a lot and none of them are "worth it"
And I've spent a lot of money on this game, for reference.

You'll be better off for using the LN that you have to gid gud, it can and does kill Hornets and Sabres once you learn how to fly and fight properly.

also a free fly just went up so if you really just want to fly an OP pussywagon go there and punch in that promo code to use a sabre for the week, however, that whit will spoil you. It's a dedicated interceptor with no cargo capacity or utility function. Going fast and shooting things is all it does.

Made a few adjustments.