Did they ever produce """""the best car in the world""""""" or were they always a meme car-maker?

Did they ever produce """""the best car in the world""""""" or were they always a meme car-maker?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XgxDwbDXCBw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Whether or not it was/is the best is debatable, the point is that they didn't skimp on materials and craftsmanship.
If its leather, use good leather.
If its wood, use real wood.
None of the plastic with stickers on it crap.

British autism with handcrafting gave them an advantage with mechanical parts before WW2 and unparalleled luxury with materials. Post ww2, advances in mass manufacturing and suspension/engine improvements everyone learned about in the war leveled the playing field so much that Rolls Royce are almost meme tier. Another problem with hand built cars is that no two are alike. Might be cool, until you need repairs or to restore it. A 50's V8 Cadillac offers much of what a 50's Rolls can with more power and ease of maintenance. Modern rolls had to steal French hydropneumatic suspension to stay relevant and needed help from BMW. They are still fine pieces of machinery. Reviewers have said they're so comfortable it's too boring.

This. It's the same deal with firearms. High-end handmade British guns are sublime, but you have to send the whole thing back to the factory if a part needs replacing because the part has to be built to fit the gun.

Meanwhile, Italian and American companies build guns that are pretty much just as nice to shoot and can be serviced locally.

>Another problem with hand built cars is that no two are alike.
I don't think this is true, they're all built with the same tooling, so the parts would be identical.

pretty sure they built some of the best emgines known to mankind

Yeah in like 1910

they don't really have a direct competitor anymore in the ultra lux segment.

And no, Maybachs and Bentleys do not compete with these.

If by tooling you mean each employee is given the same hammer, doesn't mean their products are going to come out the same.

At the beginning, yes.

Soviet gun is o.k. to shoot, some are nice to shoot. Sometimes requires maintance.

There is no point to this post, I just like to talk about my nugget

yeah american cars in the 50's and 60's were pretty solid, love most of American cars from that era. But when technology came the rest of the world used it to improve their build quality and americans used it to fake quality and make cars cheaper.

They make good airplane engines, that's about it

I will say, I've driven a modern rolls, they're nothing extraordinary to drive, feels like a big BMW. Riding in one however, totally different experience

Bentley does with its mulsanne

Yes, but then they decided to build it for what feels like 30 years and get overtaken by other manufacturers instead of improving it.

I don't know their engines.

Check mate

Same could defiantly be said about Land Rover, top of the line at the time (late '40s to 60-70s) but really are out done in price, performance and maintenance by Toyotas. Which pains me to say as I'm a massive Series fan boy.

Cars are a reflection of the economy in their home country. The US were booming in the 20 years after the war, and cars reached levels of build quality and features unbeforeseen. Then in the mid 60s the economy stagnated and so did cars. They slowly started using cheaper materials and fake finishes. By the mid 70s all hope was lost and stayed lost through the downsizing of the 80s and until the economic upswing of the 90s. Cars didn't return to high quality materials because Detroit realized they could just keep using cheap shit, but at least they gained size and decent build quality and power again.

That's because you're sub-human scum.

>tfw you will never own a mildly restomodded Cadillac from the absolute glory days

>ultra lux segment
the ultra lux segment is just a state of mind, Rolls are nothing impressive to cost that much, the price is just to filter the people who care about money
its like those 5k iphone cases with diamonds, its not about protecting your iphone, its about sending a message.

Except that the space technology suspension and 30-way massage seats in a Mercedes-Maybach do in fact make the comfort 20 times better than in a Toyota Camry and aren't just visual bling.

If you own a Rolls, you probably have a chauffeur

The "space technology suspension" is just an overengineered Citroen Air Suspension you can get that kind of technology in a C6 for like 7k

He's talking about interchangeable parts.

>tfw can afford a maybach if I live in it

Time for an upgrade

Are we talking about the new one? Because that one ultrasonically scans the road milliseconds ahead as it approaches the wheels from below the front bumper, and then makes immediate computer adjustments to the magnetic suspension.

i dont know about the new ones, i just know they used to use that Citroen air suspension which were also adjusted something like 400times/sec idk how it worked, but now if its utrasonic magnetic suspension they must use BMW's technology. its not a exclusive thing, trust me

but there will be a day when we can just go to the local 3D printers with a usb drive to print the part we want, or at least the mold so we can go to the custom metal forge next to it or something.

youtube.com/watch?v=XgxDwbDXCBw

You seem to be talking about Rolls-Royce when I'm talking about Mercedes-Maybach.

>that
>mildly restomodded
>those wheels
>that lowered height
that is literally trashed

I like your analysis, user.

what about American cars from the 00's - right now? What would you say they say about the economy?

i want a SVT40 more than any other gun. i dont even like 7.62×54R.