Why do we hate this car again?

Why do we hate this car again?

Other urls found in this thread:

revvedmag.com/engine-tech/dyno-testing/drift-offices-401-hp-e85-devouring-fr-s-hates-traction-control/
youtube.com/watch?v=43kqcXTh6yk
youtube.com/watch?v=vjNOzbqyCmA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its slow, ugly, and looks like something a mom would drive her kids in yet for some reason millennials love it. Im guessing because most of them think they are chicks to begin with

It's 2017 and the damn thing is still using a 15 year old engine. It only managed to get fatter and uglier while power output remained the same
I blame it's lack of competition, Subaru doesn't need to try when there's no Evo

Let's also forget the fact you can easily tune it to 400hp because of that engine. Another 10 grand of parts and you'd have 600+. A car that you can buy around 33k. Fucking bench reaching shits.

>have 600 hp
>spin out

I don't get why they had to make it so ugly, what was wrong with the design of the GD, hell even the GE looks way better than this.

why would you spin out? its AWD

Every iteration of the WRX gets a tiny bit more power which is offset by a weight gain. I bet the old 22b could keep up with a brand new STI if it had the same tires. What's more, each iteration is more generic than the last, as Subaru moves from being "those weird guys" to another boring and safe brand like Honda.

The Mustang and Camaro are quantum leaps ahead of the shit they were a couple decades ago, while the WRX doesn't even budge. It needs a rival like the Evo again.

Real life isn't a Forza game.

I've never touched an engine irl the post

They're the only maker that still makes AWD sedans for non-luxury consumers

seriously the only other sedans that get AWD are expensive BMW's with Xdrive, Audi's quattro stuff, and mercedes 4matic crap. Its why people buy them.

>I'm retarded

There's no fucking hatchback anymore.
Also the hoodscoop is try-hard on a car that only has 30-some more horsepower than a modern V6 Camry.

hell there is no competition for the WRX/WRX STi

the Lancer Evo isn't around anymore, the only competition are a series of small hatches with the VW GTI-r and Ford RS. There are no mid size sedans with AWD at that price point.

>that only has 30-some more horsepower than a modern V6 Camry.
sounds pretty good coming from a 4 banger vs a 6 cylinder

You can hit 350whp fairly easily, then you need a block at about $4k and a bigger turbo to go higher.

It's got a bullet proof transmission, almost all mechanical diff setup, and with a bit of suspension tuning it can handle amazingly for an AWD sedan.

It's far from perfect and can break pistons with the poor factory tune, but it's a good car.

Now the WRX with the new FA20DIT and a built block can easily hit 600+ WHP for the price you're saying. Bigger turbo and a built block plus supporting mods are around $10k.

Because this exists.

>inb4 overheating diff

As long as you're not doing long sessions at the track beating the piss out of drift mode, you're fine

I really don't understand the appeal of this car. It's obviously predicated on a rally design which is cool if you're into that type of stuff (you arent) and of course the AWD is nice. Besides that, it's a complete meme. Boxer engine is good for squeezing in the drivetrain and the lower center of gravity but I hate when people describe it as a "tuners engine". It's some piece of shit sideways 4 cyl. It's not that great. You have to remove the engine just to replace a headlight bulb. Get a nice I6 and then we'll talk kid

I think the HP is fine, dunno why everyone needs to have 1000whp today.
Personally I just dislike that it has an e-diff instead.

The WRX has an open diff with front wheel brake-based torque vectoring.

The STI has front and rear mechanical diffs with an adjustable center electromagnetic and mechanical diff as well as brake based front torque vectoring.

No e-diff on these cars.

>As long as you're not doing long sessions at the track
So, then why get one? to "floor it" half way at the red light?
To just show it off at the shitty local meet?
Clutch diffs are shit and should die.

Nobody is asking for GT-R levels of power, but 300 in the STI is a bit lacking in 2017. An FA25 making 360 to 390 would be great, and it's not like it would have problems putting it down.

It's really not that impreza

>So, then why get one?
>To just show it off at the shitty local meet?
Isn't that what most people do with WRX STis anyway?

>Track days
> Canyon carving
> Autocross

Yeah, clearly those things aren't fun to do with an STI.

What new rwd/awd cars on the market have good i4s or i6s that I can tune thanks to a diverse and strong aftermarket support?
Legit question, not trying to be an asshole about it.
Might get a new car in the next couple of years and I've been wondering about it.

Huh, nice to know, for some reason I read it and never checked if it was wrx or sti only.

IMO it's still plenty, it's not sluggish at all. But I guess it depends on how one drives. I like not being that overpowered if it means I can keep it high on the revs and throwing it around without much concern.
I would be more concerned about being able to track it and not have it overheat, blow up, break seals, etc.

Where I live STIs get thrashed around rally events, either those weird timed pace ones, or dirt/backroad rallies.

fat slow riced from the factory boiracer shit with a cancer fanbase. coulda had an evo

STI's used to be hardcore high-performance machines built for rallying

Now they are just fast Corollas

So I can buy an AWD turbo corolla with multiple mechanical diffs and a well setup suspension?

Normies think you're the same as the Subaru crowd just tied to a less successful brand because of how rare they are for how boring and cheap they are.

pretty ugly

it's really a gem of an engine though. buttery smooth for a boxer, and the power on tap. plus no direct engine so no carbon build up issues. subaru should use the engine across the lineup of its cars instead of a boyracer niche car

Direct injection is the way of the future when it comes to power. You can get around it with dual injectors (one in, one out).

it's a fucking 4 cylinder, why would you want anymore than 300hp out of 4 cylinders

Why wouldn't you?

because i don't want to replace a motor every 50k miles

The nice thing is that manufactures can run their engines in CAD and test cells to find the correct design to sustain that power.

Cars with high bmep aftermarket don't work because it's a bunch of fags who are unaware of fatigue limits and just bolt parts together until they can get through a few dyno pulls.

> buying a Ford
Are you even fucking trying.

Im looking for an AWD hatchback with a turbo and I noticed that there aren't as many sooby hatches so I'm looking for opinions between the 2.

golf sportwagen

he means it isnt as simple as pressing a few buttons and whoosh more power no downsides. and hes right.

>bench-racer shops for a daily: the post

>it's the current year

Because 18 year old vape enthusiasts ruined the insurance rates for any prospective owner.

May as well buy the base 1.6 and fit a bodykit then.

You must be a terrific driver. Ask treequinox.

>they made it bug eyed
REEEEEEEEE
>they made it hatchback only
REEEEEEEEE
>they pull out wrc
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>they made it a coupe that can be any other car brand
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>prospective owner
A.k.a. 17 year old vape enthusiast waiting to turn 18.

The STI is getting an all electric center diff for the 2018 model year.

How can I hate something I dont even care about?

Not american, do I wouldn't know, but doesn't dodge sell the charger with awd?

>mfw no american cars in dudeweedland
>mfw wrx sti is 92k new
Kill me senpai

I do see f150's and other pickups but that's because muhhh company cars muhh tax free import

Yeah and don't forget that those xdrive's quattro and other shit are not even real AWDs but FWD/RWD that give's you the second axle """"""""""when you need it""""""""""

lesbos are the most common user of that thing

Naww 24, maybe the insurance will be reasonable once I'm into my 30s.

Unfortunately mom and dad paying the insane premiums so their darling vape enthusiast can have a nice car and be popular in high school has ruined WRXs for me.

Boxer engines are smooth by nature

>evo
>cheap

so whats a good car?

miata

oh yea thats a new one, AWD charger

haven't heard if its good AWD or now

everything wrong with modern cars combined with an ancient engine

but i wanna go fast for cheap. what do i do?

They're just removing the mechanical center diff and using the electromagnetic diff only. Personally, I think it's a mistake and only there for cost savings.

Buy a used camaro if you want RWD. Buy a used FoST or FiST for FWD. Buy a used WRX for AWD.

>They're just removing the mechanical center diff and using the electromagnetic diff only.
Yeah that's what I said.

>Personally, I think it's a mistake and only there for cost savings.
I don't like it either and it turns me off from buying a new STI. I don't know what their plan is if the car has some kind of DCCD controller failure. I guess you have to get it trailered or it puts the car into FWD limp mode.

How is what he said bench-racing? Bench racing is comparing fucking lap times. This is comparing two vehicles with two totally different everything.

Also I dont know why people call the new WRX/STi a corolla clone when you can literally put a GC bumper on 90s corollas.

Getting 150 HP/L is safe and easy with turbochargers. 350+ HP out of a 2.5L shouldn't be that hard.

Reminder in Europe you could buy an Evo IX (2.0L) with 360 HP off a dealership lot, warranty included.

The EJ25 STIs could have done 350 reliably pretty easily if Subaru would have just put forged pistons in it. They had them in the EJ207 all the way up to version 7 of that motor so I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to drop them at that point especially when they were having major issues with their cast pistons as soon as the cars hit the road. The FA20 can supposedly do 400 all day with beefier conrods and pistons.

2017 STI owner here. I bought it because I liked the big wing and then I did some research online and find out that everyone hates my shit.

I like it.

>I bought it because I liked the big wing
You're a lucky man. Everyone else gets upsold on the STI Limited just to get rid of the wing.

I live in the Canada so we only get STI base (no wing), Sport (wing with black rims) and Sport Tech (wing with weird alloy rims).

I went with the Sport solely because it has the black rims and wing. I didn't even know what was inside.

Why would anyone not want the wing?

revvedmag.com/engine-tech/dyno-testing/drift-offices-401-hp-e85-devouring-fr-s-hates-traction-control/
The FA20 is looking like a damn fine engine, just needs some fine adjustments are stock.

>I live in the Canada so we only get STI base (no wing), Sport (wing with black rims) and Sport Tech (wing with weird alloy rims).
Every single day I hate Subaru of North America more and more.

>Why would anyone not want the wing?
If I was buying a new STI at this point in my life I'd honestly just want the commuter car look with a neutral color like grey or black and no wing or the tiny little trunk spoiler.

The FA20 does look great. The only thing that makes me wonder what the fuck they were thinking are the weird offset conrods it uses that apparently start to bend at high boost numbers. If it didn't have that design "feature" I imagine they could push out pretty impressive numbers on a totally stock engine with just a tune. Still it's nothing that can't be fixed with forged parts which will hopefully be standard on any new FA20 powered STI.

I've still got my hopes up for a larger engine in the STi than the FA20, talks of a 2.4L being thrown around.
And of course everyone but japan gets all the weaker crap, their wrxs push 297hp.

I got the dark grey metallic. It's a great colour. I sort of really wanted the red, but it just wasn't anywhere to be found and I felt it silly to wait 2 months for them to build one. The silver also looks better IMO.

I learned to drive stick in this car and I really hope the rumours of this transmission being bulletproof are true. I have ground gears for a total of probably 10 whole seconds by now.

I think their WRXs make the same but the Levorg makes 297 which uses the same engine. I honestly hope they just do one engine for all the STIs because whenever they do more than one everyone who doesn't get the Japanese version gets completely fucked. The EJ25s were just inferior in every way to the EJ207s but we were stuck with them.

The dark grey would have been my first choice. The black wheels look pretty nice as well although I'm not sure I would have spent any extra cash for them.

>I learned to drive stick in this car and I really hope the rumours of this transmission being bulletproof are true.
They are. Even the regular WRX transmission puts up with a fair amount of abuse at stock power levels.

it's boring

2020 STI is going to get the F(something)24DIT they're testing in the Ascent.

It wasnt spinning out, it was going to hot into a turn.

That's the one thing I don't get, why the hell are they putting in a 2.4L in something that large, no amount of Tarbo is going to make that thing tow.

Hoodscoop. it has a top mounted intercooler retard

But an Evo costs a fucking LOT compared to the Subaru.

It's Subaru mate. If they stumble in to a making something that doesn't look all weird and dopey, it's first in line for a redesign or dropping the model all together.

It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

>you need to change a ton of parts for it to do anything well because it's garbage from the factory
>but it's a good car

???

Sounds like every shitstang, Camaro, charger and brotruck

REEEEEEEEEEEE

Love mine. 3rd Subaru.

(greens on snow tires winter set up)

thanks for letting us know youre another Forza baby that got lost.

It's a bloated modern car with a mesozoic era engine.

In my opinion, all the former brand appeal is gone. Kinda like considering an Evo X over the Evo VIII or prior.

Not really. The Subaru needs to be geared so short and low that it becomes a slow and thirsty pig on the highway.

It's not slow though...

I can 100% guarantee you're a millennial trying to fit in

>STI
>33k
>Sti
>More than 400hp without total rebuild costing more than half the cars worth
>Camaro SS stock blows it away in every way, even a mustang lol
Sad!

>rwd

>awd

If you think stock RWD>tuned AWD for a drag car you're the benchiest of bench racers.

You could at least compare cars in the same class. Take the shitstang on dirt roads and tell me what happens.

They'd both be equally bad with the stock 2 inches of ground clearance. STI's stopped being gravel and dirt road rally cars a long time ago. A stock STI would last 2 minutes as a rally car. Now days the STI is pretty much is pretty much a pavement princess. Why spend $50k to be held back by a 4 cylinder when a Mustang/Camaro/Vette does the job better and cheaper?

>Toyota releases a new TRD AWD Toyota Camry with a turbo option that makes 340 Horsepower in 2018
Would Subaru ever recover and would you guys ever buy it over the wrx if you guys had to pick between those two?

Not if it's some drift button fwd biased transverse shitheap, Which it will be.

Me and my friend took our 06/16 stis on some old logging roads and they both did great.. I don't know what you mean by pavement princess.

youtube.com/watch?v=43kqcXTh6yk
youtube.com/watch?v=vjNOzbqyCmA
>pavement princess