Is having a turboed car really that much of an annoyance as people make it seem to be...

Is having a turboed car really that much of an annoyance as people make it seem to be? I heard you have to always watch out to never immediately turn off your car after parking it because it might damage the turbo. I don't really feel like babying my car that much.

And the turbo timers seem like a dumb fucking idea. I have to leave the car and it'll still keep running for some time? That's just ridiculous.

It's not a problem unless you have been driving hard right up to the point you park. If you are on hard boost pulling into a parking spot you shouldn't be driving anyway. If not the turbo will be slow enough not to cause damage.

>baaawwww maintenance

It's because of faggots like you the GT86 didn't get a turbo

Seriously though getting a daily driver with a turbo and having to do shit like this is annoying and there's no reason to do that.

>I heard you have to always watch out to never immediately turn off your car after parking it because it might damage the turbo

is this really thing? I'm a recent owner of a 2004 wrx

I don't hoon or anything and drive pretty normal so I should ok right?

once I park am I supposed to just sit there with the engine running? how long should I do this for?

as long as you aren't flooring it and spinning the turbo way up right before you park you're good

if you do then let the car idle for a couple of minutes to let it cool down or drive it gently for a mile or so

>is this really thing? I'm a recent owner of a 2004 wrx
Actually I'm trying to find this out because I wanna buy a WRX too.

>once I park am I supposed to just sit there with the engine running? how long should I do this for?
From what I've heard - yes. At least 30 seconds but some people suggest a minute, depending on how hard were you pushing it.

How the fuck is letting your car idle for a minute difficult?

If I'm in a rush it is difficult. When I get home from work, I don't really feel like waiting for the car to idle for a minute either.

It's just annoying.

You're already fucking up your car if you're just jumping in and going.
Leave earlier you'll be way less stressd

>You're already fucking up your car if you're just jumping in and going.
How?

> I have to leave the car and it'll still keep running for some time? That's just ridiculous

and why is this ridiculous? I'm genuinely interested, as i see no downsides of having one.

It is if you're not a tardmurican who drives an automatic tranny and leave your car in gear.

Oil doesn't just instantaneously get a good coating and supply throughout the engine and tolerances are considered with proper oil viscosity and the heat in the engine

user everyone knows that but all it means is that you shouldn't push the engine very early. Not that you shouldn't be able to get in and drive, mate.

Most engine wear is coming from just after you're starting it up. If you're usually idling at say 1000rpm for 2 minutes vs jumping straight in and driving around carefully at 2000rpm you're still literally doubling the strokes and movement in your engine for that time and it's unnecessary wear mate.

Engines have a warm up cycle for a reason, you shouldnt drive intill the rpms drop fully down.

Its not needed anymore, Modern turbos are watercooled and use ball bearings. older turbos were oil cooled and used sleeve bearing which would become coked.

Now because of new bearings and watercooling, when you shut off the car water still flows through your turbo cooling it.

user it's not like there is ZERO oil when you're getting in and driving, unless your engine is broken to shit or you're starting the engine in very cold (like -30 Celsius cold).

Well shit, too bad I can't afford a new car with one of those newer turbos. Any way to convert mine to water cooling and bearings? We're talking old Subarus here.

How old of subies.

I believe subies are watercooled since the mid 2000's and you can upgrade your turbo to a newer turbo.

Well I'm about to buy a Subaru and it'll either be the first gen Impreza or the second gen (early). I just read that the 2nd is water + oil but that doesn't seem quite right.

This only applies to oil-cooled turbos. When you've been making boost, the turbo(s) and the oil have become very hot, and if you stop the flow of the oil before it cools down, it will absolutely fuck over your turbo(s). Even if I didn't drive it hard or for very long, I always let my FD run for a bit before turning it off.

It's only an issue if you're beating on your car for prolonged periods and then shutting your engine off immediately, which is retarded and never happens. In normal driving, even after a bit of boost you're fine to shut it right off, and if you've been on it hard you just give it 30-45 seconds before you shut the car off which you should be doing anyway.

Wrong. Your engine takes 10x more time to warm up while idling. You're incurring more wear on the engine by leaving it there idling while cold for ages. Just give it ten seconds to build oil pressure and then drive it lightly until you're up to temp.

That's what turbo timers are for. They keep your car running and shut off when the turbo won't be harmed

this is news to me. why exactly does it "hurt" the turbo?

>when you shut off your car water still flows through it...
Please stop giving false information.

>what is convection

There's a reason Garrett specify placing the feed lower than the return on water cooled turbos, dipshit

The turbo reliability meme came from the 80's CryCo's 2.2's. The biggest problem with turbos today is lag. When combined with an automatic trans, it is very noticeable and you'll be wishing you had a big NA motor instead.

Whats the point some modern cars have turbos and even have auto start stop in them so why would the manufacturers stress those parts on purpose

As a general rule, if the turbo is water cooled and has an electric water pump that runs for a while when you turn off the engine (something that any sporty turbo car should have), you only have to wait for 10 seconds approx. before shutting down the engine.

If the turbo isn't water cooled...depends a lot on how hard you have been driving.

what is considered 'driving lightly' while temp builds up

in general with the don't turn your engine off straight away once you park thing. should I be fine if I never drive over say 4k rpms? like what constitutes as driving hard that you would need to let the turbo cool down

This. Any other opinions are bullshit.

Please stop posting on things you dont know anything about.

I thought this turbo timer garbage fad died off years ago. every vehicle I've owned since 2009 has been turbocharged. I had never had a turbo timer, I've never done any stupid shit like idling it for 5 minutes before getting out, and I've never had a single turbo-related problem with anything. I'm pretty sure most of the bullshit surrounding this subject is coming from boomers that still have the opinions they formed on turbos in the 80s and don't realize the technology has improved.

Nigga wtf, shitbaru turbos have been water cooled since yearly 90s

That's what turbo timers are for, retard. Or car alarms with built in turbo timers.
> I have to leave the car and it'll still keep running for some time?
Fucking retard, it won't keep running if accelerator is pressed.

its only an issue on early turbos pre 2000.

I did have an '89 Volvo 740 turbo that I blew a gasket on, I was pretty rough with it though

>10 seconds
just enough time to get my wallet, look over to the passenger seat about to say something and realize nobody is sitting there. Wipe the single tear and go about my day.

OP if you are racing the car its not the worst idea to leave the engine running for a minute or more afterwards to let the turbine housing, center housing, and turbine shaft/wheel temperatures drop and keep oil flowing through. What happens when you do a "hot shutdown" after a hard run is that the remaining oil that pools in the turbo starts to cook ("Coke") if left on the hottest surfaces (those that i just listed). Coking the oil essentially turns it to a solid burnt crust like when you leave it on a frying pan. This will either (a) cause the clearances in your bearings to go away, causing rub and throwing the entire moving rotor group out of balance, or (b) flake off and clog up the oil filter downstream and cause more problems. This is not dependent on journal(floating) or ball bearings. BB's can fill with coked oil and scratch the ball raceways too.

See pic attached, I found this potato picture after looking for "turbo xsec" supposedly this is a subaru one. Notice the coolant passages on the turbine side to keep that side cooler for exactly the reasons I described.

Do you have to worry about this on your daily commute? No. Doing some shenanigans on the street/highway, nope. Only if you are really beating the piss out of the car (maybe autox, rallyx, track days, etc...) should you really worry about this.

Whats retarded is when guys do the "rotated" turbo setups on subarus where the turbo is heavily angled to the turbine side. This causes the oil to constantly pool on that side not only leading to leakage but heavy coking. Don't do this.

t. Garrett motorsport turbo engineer.

This sums it up pretty well.

OP, a turbocharged engine can be just as reliable as an N/A engine. With some common sense, and some knowledge about how turbos work, they won't intrude on your life and can put a smile on your face.

If you ever go past half throttle for more than 3 seconds and over 4000 RPM that's probably hard driving. Full throttle pulls to redline shouldn't be done right as you pull into a garage and shut it off.

The real answer is try to stay off boost for a minute or two before you arrive. Boost is what makes a turbo hot. The turbine side is always hot to some extent but the compressor side stays cool unless you're on boost.

The turbo is still spinning but it's not getting lubrication because the oil is not flowing anymore

Small turbos with little boost. And there's also the fact that they place little electric motors that keep lubricating the turbo when you shut down your car

Is it? VW GTI squirts a bit of gas in the manifold inbetween the shifts of the DCT to keep it spooled and keep shift seamless. Not too much fuel hower, so no excessive heat on the exhaust manifold, and no flames, just "farts".

>I heard you have to always watch out to never immediately turn off your car after parking it because it might damage the turbo.
You got trolled. Have you not noticed that almost every single new engine is turbo-charged? The superior MPG and power density trump any meme problems regurgitated by 90's BMW driving N/Autists.

How about own a fucking ecu that will let your engine run for a second after pulling out the key

A fucking fiesta can do this. A FIESTA

Having a car with a turbo is fucking great are you kidding me? As long as you don't race your car like an idiot every time you get on the highway it's fine.

Top post.

You dont need to run your car for the turbo to cool on any modern car (Since the 90's at least) i've ever seen.

If your turbo gets cooked because you didnt idle the car then its a poor design.

Plenty of cars are fitted with stop/start and a turbo, VAG for example, and i've seen very little of these damaged.

Biggest threat to turbos is dust, dirt, small stones etc.. getting into the air intake then entering the turbo, completely fucking it.

if you do a bunch of hard driving you need to make sure you let the car run and cool down afterwards and not just turn it off

that means when you know you are within a certain distance of your house you need to just lay low and drive slower then let it sit for a minute, i always finish listening to the song thats on the radio and make sure ur air is turned to the hottest and windsheild on full blast that way the radiator fans turn on

its not really babying the car, also you only need to do this if you were really driving hard and got the turbo hot at all

t. big turbo car owner

This

boost is life

Not a problem with water cooled turbos
I have a water cooled turbo.

>hoon a tarbo
>stall the car

I feel like mine goes for about 40 seconds after I turn the car off and then shuts it down even though I left the car and took the key with me.

>needing a turbo timer
>not having an electronic auxillary water pump that feeds your turbo nice cool refreshing water even after your car shuts off
score another one for audi

Truth

Also whos boosting a ton on their daily commute right to their front door?
Why not chill for a few miles and let stuff cool down everyday? Wont hurt anything.

t. past small/medium turbo car owner

how big is big. lemme see dat shit

Hey look someone that doesnt know what they are talking about.

Most modern turbos are twin scroll, which causes them to spool at low rpms.

And with Auto transmission Turbos stay in boost due to not having to take load off the engine.

>Dumb little kid gets mad over something he doesn't understand and then cries about how much of an inconvenience it is

Faggot.

Turbo timers are Fast And The Furious tech from 1995. No one uses that shit anymore.

What engine is that? FSI or TSI?

No.
It's to keep fresh oil flowing into the turbo while it cools. Otherwise oil just sits in the bearing and cooks. All you really need to do is not drive like a retard and you don't need it.

TFSI. Gen 2 EA888.

You don't do that because of the speed of the impeller/turbine, you let the car idle so the turbo can cool slowly and so the oil doesn't sit and overheat in the turbo.

>I don't really feel like doing the simplest possible thing like keeping my car out of boost for a few minutes before I turn it off

If that's what you consider an annoyance turbo is definitely not for you, buddy.

Just don't drive like a fuckhead when you're getting close to your destination.

Wrong.

You're a moron.
The turbine is glowing hot under high load.
Shutting the car off cooks the oil.
It has literally nothing to do with the shaft rpm.

lol whenever people just post 'wrong' i imagine some asshat sitting around randomly replying to posts he doesnt understand just for fun.

Working an engine with no load (ie. idling) is bad and causes more unnecessary wear than just hopping in and going.

As long as the engine isn't cold as shit, it's better than letting it idle so long as you don't immediately start gunning it around and shit.

Not actually an issue on stock turbo cars built after like 2007/8. But everyone on here thinks it's an issue because they drive old pieces of shit with aftermarket turbos.

Honestly a supercharger is superior in every way to a turbo, but a lot of car manufacturers think turbo sounds better so they still use them.

>Honestly a supercharger is superior in every way to a turbo

Wrong.

>upercharger is superior in every way to a turbo

oh user