Where to get technical knowledge about cars that dad didn't teach me?

Where to get technical knowledge about cars that dad didn't teach me?

Either by trial and error, or reading literature.

I just want to talk to my bros about engines and shieeeet, not be a car mechanic.

The internet is full of it these days.

Prior to the inernet, get a car, some tools, and a Haynes manual and have at it. Hell, I started with just tools, car, and curiosity but it turns out I'm not utterly mechanically retarded.

Like legos for adults.

The interenet also has a lot of old timey car people describing their secrets of engine design from half a century ago. But for starter material it's actually not terrible at all to just click around wikipedia to find out about different kinds of engines and get some basics.

There are a lot of oddball engines out there.

Pretty much this. Just buy an old Miata and have at it. If you aren't some beta liberal numale, your male genetics will instantly be activated and you'll figure everything out real fast

Old cars are great because there's always something that goes wrong that forces you to learn about some crazy thing you never knew about, but they don't just immediately stop working and flash lights at you.

I already own Mondeo mk4 2013, Citroen Jumper and Fiat Uno. RIP dad.

Back to the topic, I can probably afford to fuck up Uno. Can you guys spoonfeed me with some links and books? Wikipedia gave me overall view of how everything works, but I kinda want more.

If I were you I'd find forums and/or service manuals for what you own. There's nothing like knowing how something you own and use works inside. If it starts to make you wonder about tinkering with it, then you're ready to start talking about cars with your car bros.

Motorcycles are also a good intro to working on mechanical shit b/c they're relatively simple, cheaper, and you don't need an engine hoist or such. And lots of community colleges have auto shop courses or similar.

Yeah I will look for Uno manuals. And maybe find a forum.
Comfiest reading.

Thanks guys.

Trail and error.

Doing things yourself and learning. Luckily we live in the age of the internet so you can look up how to do things on youtube so you don't fuck it up learning the first time.

My dad is not into cars at all but I managed to teach myself with only repair manuals and trial and error

It's a good idea to make sure you have some extra money in your back packet, too, since it can be easy to do something dumb and then need to shell out a dumb amount of money to replace the part you just broke.

hnnnnng

I never had much of a dad growing up but am pretty mechanically inclined, have rebuilt engines, and fixed a drz400 that was literally in 6 cardboard boxes stripped to its frame.

Youtube/the internet, a shop manual for whatever you are working on, and a lot of beer for when you're stuck and just want to light your project on fire.

>a lot of beer
Hopefully not too much, but it really does help when you're ready to buy a bulldozer so you can push it off a cliff.

People from "The Land Before Internetz" have a lot of misinformation in their heads. I caught my dad using my best torque wrench as a breaker bar to get a bolt off his tractor a few months back...

I learned (in chronological order):
-Tuning cars in GT3.
-Howstuffworks.com taught me engine basics.
-My Sport Compact Car magazine subscription (fuck I miss that mag).
-Many many teenage hours on car forums (not general ones like Veeky Forums).
-Mechanical engineering degree + internships with 2 auto companies.
-(During Uni) Bought a fucked-up miata and restored every last thing in it.

... you probably want to learn from someone who isn't your dad (unless they're a passionate mechanic / engineer).

Heard of the internet? It's on computers these days.

Download and read your service manual. Also, do lots of research online and in books.

Wew

YouTube and model-specific forums.

>dat ass

All or none.

You can't spout knowledge on cars if you've never pulled one apart.

And any average mechanic will spot your bullshit from a mile away.

Maybe you can explain the Miata meme to me. Why is it such a popular car on here? Asking for a friend(it's me)

They're about the cheapest most well rounded sports car you can buy, easy to mod, easy to maintain, and generally easy to make a track car.

Who is this fluid druid?

Sun Tzu say Nicky Gile

You ust buy a car and figure it out