Why didn't North American tribes ever have societies as big as Central and South American ones?

Why didn't North American tribes ever have societies as big as Central and South American ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy
sonoma.edu/users/p/purser/anth590/cobb complexity.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I guess their agriculture never amounted to more than subsistence farming and foraging

Why? Luck, genetics, a combination of both probably

They may have, someone built all those mounds

Maize reached the region much later, so their development began much later. They were developing complex societies by the time the Spanish arrived and everyone died of smallpox.

But muh Cahokia

[angry pueblo noises]
They never got as big, but then again they were living in a fucking desert.

climate?

Do you have some pertinent text about north american indian sicieties ?
I grew up believing they had teepees and horses (also I already noted with stupor that horses actually were brung by colons)

actually north american tribes had significantly better farming techniques than the southerners and they had established trading routes transporting good all the way from louisiana to california.

southerners had higher yield crops and better soil, leading to critical population density sooner. however, they never learned to store their food, and so they instituted ritual sacrifice as a way to avoid starvation.

highly mountainous terrain probably contributed to their ability to build monumental architechture without interruption from raiders as well. the largest monuments are found in highly defensible areas, such as egypt bounded by desert, iran, bounded by mountains, or central java defended by mountains and sea.

genetics plays a role, but the northerners were probably smarter than the southerners in this case

They came in contact with white Vikings. Europeans civilzed them. Check out their bearded man temple. Proof whites are the superior RACe

>and so they instituted ritual sacrifice as a way to avoid starvation.

No they didn't. Ritual cannibalism was only practiced on certain festivals and by very soecific sectors of society. Priests, and some elites. Mesoamerica had more than enough protein sources, the idea they had to eat people for nutrition is silly.

I didn't say that they ate each other. I said that they would ritually sacrifice a % of their population. this prevents starvation

we'll talk about it when you have proof

the safest place in the world

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy

I've literally told people this is one of the big reasons I still live in Ohio, but never had a map like this to show it. thanks brah

It's not much, but I came across this; sonoma.edu/users/p/purser/anth590/cobb complexity.pdf

>floods in phoenix arizona
what

This is a pretty good book on the subject.

North American societies were much more agrarian than was traditionally thought. It's a shame a Eurasian cocktail of diseases Mad Maxed them. We know so little about early and emerging farming societies in Eurasia even. It would have been cool to study their early chiefdoms.

Flash floods. Since it rarely rains over there, the ground is hard, and when there is a torrent of rain, the ground doesn't absorb it.

>Michigan is the safest state in the country
feels good my man

thanks

I live in central nc and the worst hurricanes just amount of a rainy weekend.

Mosquitoes and severe winters should be listed as disaster zones, too. Michigan sucks.

There was a civilization in Arizona that went extinct due to famine, but the redskins in general are unproductive imbeciles.

Why in the fuck is Ashburn on that map instead of DC?

They were too busy raping and eating each other like a bunch of filthy savages.

colder with no immigration tech/fewer imports from more naturally condusive centralised centres for prosperity such as hot & wet (@ the equator)

gold

>northerners were probably smarter than the southerners

>Implying that north americans farming techniques were better than Incas farming.

What a fanboy.

>established trading routes transporting good all the way from louisiana to california
Here's a related map.

who are you quoting?

There are no domesticatable animals native to what is now North America/Canada. By the time the Colonists arrived, complex societies were starting to develop as seen here but they got wiped out by smallpox.

Where do you think the complex societies in C. America came from? Stone architecture was unnecessary in the temperate paradise, but in the foetid jungles only stone didn't require rebuilding yearly.

Complex societies=\=stone building.

Not in Ohio.

> southerners had higher yield crops and better soil, leading to critical population density sooner. however, they never learned to store their food, and so they instituted ritual sacrifice as a way to avoid starvation.

Bullshit. The rich lanscape of N. America was maintained by controlled burning, and agriculture was a huge increase in work for lower value food.

People ate better prior to agriculture, lived longer, and were healthier. War and marginal habitat made agriculture necessary, and more boots on the ground, even less healthy ones, combined with scorched earth tactics, enabled agricultural societies to commit genocide.

Geography.

Don't be a fucking pussy and resign yourself to living in a shithole. The last terrible hurricane that hit New England was Sandy six years ago, and the worst I got was like two days without power.

The caucasian race had adopted farming due to millenia of war, which decimated the native food sources. They shared their huts with pigs and other animals, which made them vectors for virulent plagues.

If by superior you mean filthy and parasite infested, you are right. Necessity is the mother of invention, and the constant threat of genocide compelled whites to live enslaved to warlords in squalor.

The Skraelings were living easy, on the fat of the land. They had no need to sleep in composting manure, and actually bathed.

1. Mexico is in North America, not South America. This is even the official UN and US government definition.

2. The Pueblo had advanced agricultural techniques and a sedentary lifestyle.

3. Most South American tribes had no agriculture and were not sedentary. See: Tupi-Guarani, Charrua, Tehuelche, Selk'Nam, Yamana, Jibaro, Taino, etc... which explains how they were almost completely wiped out just as their North American counterparts.

4. The only regions with extensive Native American population density and complex societies were:

Mesoamerica (Mexico, Guatemala and the Southern US)
and
The Central Andes (Peru, Bolivia, parts of Ecuador and Colombia)

Probably because the climate favoured the development of agriculture in these regions.
Equating these regions with "South America" is incorrect.

I'm honestly confused by this post. Are you talking about Incas, Aztecs, or Mayans. The Incas had several varieties of corn and potato and definitely used storehouses for surplus. They even kept track of crop statistics.

you forgot forest fires

native americans in modern US/Canada were largely nomadic. you need agriculture to settle in one place permanently

The North American tribes were as to the Aztec Empire that the Germanic tribes were to the Roman Empire

This is completely bass ackwards. Temperate regions are far more habitable than jungle hells.

The harsh jungle environment forced those there to endure dire social systems amounting to slavery, to build with stone anything that needed to not rot in mere months, and breed as quickly as possible in order to maintain as many slaves and soldiers as were lost in war, famine, and plague.

>native americans in modern US/Canada were largely nomadic

That's not true. Really only the Great Plains natives (i.e. the most sparsely populated areas) were nomadic, the rest lived in settled villages with agriculture. We just think of them as all nomadic because those were the last groups to be killed off and dispersed, in "cowboy times."

When you live in paradise and lead a life of ease, you don't need monumental irrigation works, to terrace god forsaken cliffs, or any other laborious tasks that leave ruins for future archeologists.

>It's a shame a Eurasian cocktail of diseases Mad Maxed them

wonderfully put. reading a book about the Mandans now...that's pretty much what happened to them.

The Central Andean region of Peru-Bolivia where Inca agriculture developed doesn't have "jungles".

I guess this is why the Incas were much more peaceful by comparison, since they lived in the cool mountains

Their philosophy was more subtle in relation to ambition I guess.

America in general seems more awesome than the violent east. I mean, no massive animals to trample your shit, don't have to worry about your kid getting eaten by a fucking Hippo, or your camp getting stamped by a pack of Lions, no Giraffe swinging its massive fucking head and neck killing you on impact while youre just trying to take a shit in the woods, dont have to worry about a fucking tiger jumping off rocky over hang while your just trying to play hide and seek with your bros...

America seems pretty chill compared to the east...North America anyways, Central and South America are fucking scary as shit. Got snakes the size of fiber optic conduit, tiny insects that will sting your shit, probably some cannibals, poisonous plants etc etc

North America was pretty chill tbqh famslams

The area of South America the Incas lived in was pretty chill. The biggest predators would have been wildcats, and there would have been fewer of them due to low biotic density. That's why they mostly expanded south instead of East into the horrible rainforest; their agricultural system was largely potato-based and thus adapted to mountains.

It only seems scary to you because you are ignorant and keep making the same idiotic generalizations as others in this thread.

Amazon =/= South America

The largest predator the Incas had to contend with was the mountain cougar, same as their North American counterparts.

>That school field trip to the Pequot museum where you got to see some nice native tits

>the latin america is a single thick jungle meme

hey chill out man, didn't mean to offend the comfy sections of south america

The one at Foxwoods?

Monsoon season is a bitch.

Yeah, we had field trips there all the time in elementary school.

Nice. I've always wanted to stop by the Pequot Museum there.

It is surrounded by them, and constantly invaded by people and disease that comes out of them.

Much like Europe and the fertile crescent, the highlands of S. America have been a genocidal battleground for millenia, forcing the inhabitants into similar cultural systems in order to survive.

That's why monumental architecture, centralized government/slavery, and agriculture.

The Inca were conquerors. They, like the Aztecs and Mongols, took over the territory of their predecessors, and adopted their culture in the main.

Business idea
live directly in the center of the 4 states area

yeah people literally die in them sometimes.

>"yo Michigan which natural disasters you want?"
>MI: "nigga fuck dat shit"

>all that lost civilization

It's pointless to get emotional about the past or blame the dead (or their descendants) but still, what a waste.