Just bought a car, going to buy the insurance for it tomorrow when I drive it off the lot

>Just bought a car, going to buy the insurance for it tomorrow when I drive it off the lot
>clipped a guy at work with the work truck today going home and they filed a claim and got the cops involved, I got a citation

is my insurance gonna be higher or do I have a window of precious time to get a decent rate before it spikes? I have one prior accident in like, 2013 and otherwise I'm spotless

Oh for fuck's sake user.

I didn't mean to! The truck I drive for work is a giantic fucking bucket truck, and I had to go on a highway that has high posted speeds and very narrow lanes due to constant construction. I was going around a turn and a gouge in the road caught my tire and jerked my truck a bit to the side and I clipped some dude in his duallie pickup towing a trailer. I feel like a complete retard.

dumbass OP, should have offered guy a few hundred dollars to fuckoff

The problem is that people love to get claims and stuff in my city because everyone drives big shitbox cars/trucks, and getting hit by a big company's vehicle is like striking gold.

>tfw houston

Well maybe explore settling it privately, even if all that does is buy you some time.

My insurance was extremely forgiving the first time I fucked up, and I fucked up pretty big, but I'm not inclined to use it again unless it's something major.

I mean, all he wanted was like 50 bucks for his new mirror, and I happily gave him that. But, he called the cops and we exchanged information and my general foreman came out and everything. The cop gave me a citation for 200 bucks, as a "failure to drive in single lane".

So if I just pay the 200 bucks, and the guy doesn't file a claim for his mirror, am I good? This insurance shit always confuses me because I almost never have to deal with it.

holy fuck I knew you were in houston when you said narrow lanes and constant construction. this fucking city is growing too fast, I hate it.

290 claimed yet another soul

He's going to file a claim for sure. That's why he called the cops. So he basically clipped you for another $50.

Now I feel even more moronic. He probably spent that 50 on a nice dinner with his gf or something tonight

Oh well. How horrible is it gonna look while buying insurance for a car that I've had an at fault incident the day before? Probably pretty bad, right?

He might have done it just because he was taught to do that just in case.

It does suggest he might file just out of being autistic about things, but if nobody gets insurance involved something like that should be easier for everybody go solve on their own as long as nobody's a dick about setting things right.

It will affect your new quote...prior accident, and now this...

It will go up, don't know by how much but you live city, and that costs more too...

My only worry is that it was a company truck that I clipped the guy with. So, my general foreman came out to talk with the cops and the other guy, I had to go take a piss test to prove I wasn't drunk or high when it happened, and I've gotten a 3 day vacation with no pay. I'm sure they'll do an insurance claim with the guy just "to follow procedure".

I cannot tell you guys how much of an idiot I feel like

>Just bought a car
If you haven't paid for it yet then back out of the deal.

I already have, but what's your reasoning? I got the car because I needed it, not for a frivolous reason

I had a small snafu in my work parking lot. clipped lady's car. barely any damage on my truck, but she wanted to be made whole again.

$1100 later and progressive tried to spike my rates up by $180/month once it was time to renew. I cancelled them and went with Gieco and am paying 2/3rd what I was paying with Progressive BEFORE the accident.

What I'm trying to say here it to just shop around. I change insurance companies every few years because "Being a loyal member" doesn't provide me any fucking benefits. One accident in 8 years in a parking lot and my 6 month premium spiked up to the cost of what the insurance claim was... unbelievable - why the fuck even have insurance if it isn't there to cover you.

he probably spent that 50 on a funko pop lel

talk about insult to injury

OP here with an update, my 6 month premium is 995 which isn't as horrendous as I was expecting but it's still not great. Hopefully it'll go down at the end of my 6 months

>tfw accident free and my premium is more than that

I've got USAA so it's a huge relief in cases like this

>Geico
Government Employee Insurance COmpany.
Not a judgement,they used to ONLY insure government employees, just sharing with Veeky Forums

>company truck
Shit. Right now he's at some quack's office complaining of neck pain or something straight from visiting the lawyer. No doubt he'll say he can't work either so there'll be a lost wages component too.

That's why If someone wants to settle I go for it, but If they get police involved I want written declaration that they received a money and that they revoke their rights to further claims. Or no settlement money in such situation.
Then again it's easy to be wise after accident. When I had my first small clipping incident I also called the cops even thou case could have been settled without them... I just didn't know how to handle situation then and it was my mothers car so I was already panicking.