Were two-handed war hammers historically viable or is that just a fantasy meme?

Were two-handed war hammers historically viable or is that just a fantasy meme?

That pic makes me want to play skyrim again. Is it worth playing it now or should i wait for the remastered edition?

crushes a helmet or arm under full plate with one blow

so yes

Personally I got a little bit tired of it, but I really liked it when I was still playing it, so if you're still interested I say go do it

You could do the same with this but that wouldn't make it reasonable to bring it to a fight

warhammer does it better, and lighter

swords can't pierce plate easily, and maces were abandoned for a reason as the armor got increasingly better.

I just got back into it and I've been doing fine.

Just remember to stealth archer.

Except for when it doesn't.

>maces were abandoned
Except they weren't.

Other way around, swords were abandoned and blunt weapons were more popular use when armor got better

popularly used*

maces were carried as a side-arm in the later periods when armor came to be ubiquitous. they weren't the primary arm at that point, as improvements in armor had rendered shields redundant, and it was more important to have a really big hamme

I meant to say that hammers in turn, replaced maces, as they were more effective at getting through advanced armor.

after shields were abandoned, hammers were more effective (than maces) weapons at utilizing the leverage from a two handed swing because the point they carry leverages more force from a pole than a simple blunt end

Armor began to plume outward to create a crush zone to deal with maces. hammers negated this advancement in armor.

So maces would dent the armor, and hammers would just punch through it?

depends on where it hit. in addition to pluming, armor began to incorporate fine ridges along the impact areas which would add to crumple defense.

at a certain point, a mace wouldn't evn dent armor, though it might still crack joints or break your skull.

a warhammer could strike ANYWHERE and punch through the armor better, to deliver a decisive victory, or at least cripple an enemy enough to finish him off with a second strike. a mace had to target the head or shoulder.

further, hammers could deliver more striking power at a distance because hammers harness leverage better, whereas maces lose power at a distance.

play a roguelike if you want to have real fun in a fantasy game.

the remaster will not make anything that's wrong about skyrim better

go install a modlist and see if you manage to have fun

Yes but they were nowhere near as big or sluggish as fantasy makes them out to be

Play enderal instead

Just install the mods that force realism like freezing to death and making hunting a real thing. Make sure you get all dlcs. Played tull lvl 50 and above wirhout starting the main quest just on a hunter who has a home (hearthstone) where he plants and builds stuff. Oh and no magiv playthrough. Otherwise get the spell libraries to add a couple hundred and start a obly clothes no armor mage playthrough. Oh abd get alternate life wich makes it possible to Start at other places than vanilla.

Playing rogues is especially fun if you're playing against real players

Rogues are cancerous and anti-fun in a multiplayer setting

link to your modlist?
I just finished reinstalling skyrim
>inb4 its bad
yes, I know. It is a disgrace to the elder scrolls series but I just want to be a comfy hunter and stare at the aurorae while I roam around the hills and snowy peaks, hunting in the moonlight.

They probably just looked like an average sledgehammer rather than a highly stylised thing like in opies pic

No, a sledgehammer is a terrible weapon for armored combat
Way too flat, way too heavy, way too unwieldy

Im not sayin they used sledgehammers, just that they would have been make the same way. ie a long piece of wood with a piece of steel on the end, not a weeks work fucking around with engraving and shit

Please for the love of god, share your modlist!
I wanna get off Todd's wild ride

>you need to go to whiterun to warn the jarl
>freeze to death on the way

>building a comfy campfire
>eat nice hearty stew
>fall asleep
>falmer come and take you to their magical rape dungeon.

>rape dungeon
m-mod list?

I love Skyrim's realism mods. I really love when games are as realistic as possible, because I'm an aspie stickler for realism. I don't remember what it was called, but when I played Skyrim I modded the hell out of it. Winterhold and the whole Northern area was much more challenging and in turn entertaining. Nothing like a good old fashioned struggle for survival.

Maybe you should go outside

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, POST YOUR REALISM MODS. I WANNA GET COMFY, OR THE PUPPER GETS IT

>they weren't the primary arm at that point
Probably because they literally never were to start.

"really big hammers" weren't special or some sort of designated mace replacement. They shared the role with axes. On top of that, footmans maces could be up to four feet long and use two hands.

Stop talking out of your ass.

You don't know what a crumple zone is or how it works.

No.

Listen, you faggot.
You play video games. We get it. That's nice.
In real life, there were men who took upwards of twenty poleaxe strokes without any catastrophic failures of their armor.

>further, hammers could deliver more striking power at a distance because hammers harness leverage better, whereas maces lose power at a distance.
Except that's fucking bullshit. Leverage doesn't magically stop working if you shape your striking head like a mace instead of a hammer.

Thing is, bearing armor in a tropical climate is quite impractical, since the bearer probably will sweat like a pig in addition to the humid climate rusting away his armor.

Didnt they said they will include popular mods in the remastered version game? I mean the mods which will fix this game. And they also want to make a complete magic overhaul didnt they?

>todd
>fixing anything

Was the blunt part actively used or was it just ther to add (counter)weight?

Two-handed warhammers are not entirely a fantasy meme OP

War mauls were sometimes used, but usually as an afterthought because they were similar in function to modern-day sledgehammers.
>Harelle revolt- mauls stolen from the Paris city armory.
>Battle of Agnicourt- Mauls served as improvised weapons by English bowmen.

There is also the Lucerne, a poleweapon that was used to smash/puncture armor.

Painfully underage

Yeah he shoukd be saying daggerfall

Am i right my oldfags???? :)

get outta here. real oldfags play the elder scrolls arena

>Were two-handed war hammers historically viable or is that just a fantasy meme?

like your pic? Fantasy.

two-handed weapons existed - polearms, like the Lucerne hammer, the Bec de Corbin, the pollaxe, often with hammer faces too. they're about 5-6 foot of haf, with a tiny head. You really dont need a huge chunk of metal on the end.

A huge chunk of metal is in fact less effective as a weapon - one of the most common misconceptions of people who've not studied historical combat is they assume that heavier = better, when the opposite is the reality - lighter weapons are faster, and more controllable.

best meme

arena was a mess though

If you can't find 5 things he said wrong with his post then your taste is not good enough to talk about video games openly. Or maybe it is with neo/v/, but certainly not amongst actual people.

Campfire, frostfall, ineed, better dynamic snow, relighting skyrim, ELE - Lite, realistic water two, immersive horses, natural lighting vivid atmospherics, weapon and armor fixes remade, clothing and clutter fixes, complete crafting overhaul remade. And REQUIEM. And a buttload of smaller mods and compatibility patches.

Yes. Japs even had these huge reinforced clubs.