Did History make you a better person?

Did it, I'm wonder what the exact effects are. And I can hardly look at myself for an example because Ive liked History since I was in middle school.

Is there a noticeable difference in personality and behavior between history people and history-ignorant and/or disinterested people?

>Is there a noticeable difference in personality and behavior between history people and history-ignorant and/or disinterested people?
I've found that shut-ins are more likely to score better and be more knowledgeable in history than others. Been teaching History for 14 years and most social persons know only what is required to pass or get an A while the autists find out more on the stuff they were thought.

To add on to that, almost all those who were truly interested in History were guys. And almost all of them got into history because of Total war games or because of world war 2 movies or some shit.

Maybe people with interest in history want to escape from the real world to the past and other cultures

But doesn't this apply to most subjects?

I just found out people were always the same and no such thing as "hurr now people are more decadent/selfish/violent" exists.

I don't think history makes you a better person. I've known plenty of people who are obsessed with the history of war and violence and are titilated by it's grotesqueness. Exposure to humanity's worst elements only entrenches their pre-existent contempt.

With that said, I think certain people can learn from history in a positive way. Of course there are people who look at history and contemplate ethical issues, are overwhelmed by emotion for strangers across time and space and thus learn to empathise. My point is that it is nothing inherent in the study of history, but the temperment of the student.

I think that good and bad people are attracted to history's dark sokts for different reasons. On the other hand, some people feel they have fo bear witness to tragedy because they feel obligated to learn from it. somebody has to care.

This.

> the fat white boy who loves Nazi Germany
> the raccoon-eyes hot topic girl who loves the Victorian era

I agree with you that video games are a gateway [spoiler]drug[/spoiler] to history, however, I don't agree with you that it's a guy thing.

I think war is a guy thing. Women tend to like biographies, social norms, fashion, etc. It's just that the latter tends not to be considered " history"-ish to everyday people. Reading " Persuasion" isn't seen as the same thing as reading " All Quiet On The Western Front".

This could be because of video games ( and exposure to military history in general), how people search out historical narratives they can project themselves into, and it's assumed girls don't care about military history.

Speaking from [spoiler]my own experience[/spoiler], the details of military equipment are less interesting than the songs soldiers sang or the food they ate. It took a lot time ( and the 1970s Waterloo ) for me to start to get excited about military strategy.

Not really I felt a strong social pressure to be able to kill. Made me a much harder worker though.

A better person? Maybe insofar as it has at times lead me to read philosophy and theology, but those only really count I apply them in practice.

Knowing anything non-mainstream(nearly everything) about history makes you seem either smarter or just plain weird to normies.

I fell that it makes me more humble and allows me to look beyond myself and my life and into the wider picture of the human experience. I feel that it allows me to understand the bigger picture of how the world works and how it has worked.

I also feel like it gives me a vast amount of knowledge and incite into a lot of things from politics to human behavior.

I've always been fascinated by history from a young age too though. For the most part though history is a weird kind of entertainment to me.

>be german
>get redpilled constantly
>most people think they don't like foreigners/strangers but in the end don't care
>nearly nobody believes in conspiracies
>look at USA
>mfw helter skelter is in preparation

It's made me more skeptical of ideologies and religions

Apparently on this board being knowledgeable about history turn you into a hardened racist sociopath who delights in the misery of millions of human beings.

Also you rally around obsolete thousand-year grudges between arbitrary ethnic and ideological lines, neither of which you formally belong to.

Basically, if you study history you get memed on, as far as I can tell from there people who post here..

Same as me, one of the best things you can learn. After that you don't need to waste your time with doomdayers heralds and old people telling how it was better in the past. Also we can learn that we are just animals with brains. It's necessary to use the brain to avoid doing unnecessary harm to other people or nature but we need to accept that we can't cease completely the animal.

History gave me comfort to know that we have flaws but they are human flaws and not something caused by technology or capitalism that you could have avoided by not being a sheeple. It made me see how society is good and working in a boring job to support you/society isn't a waste of life but a necessity. Also we tend to be very pessimist and ungrateful to all the pros we get from living in a capitalist society. History can teach you what to keep from the present and what to bring back from the past so you can die without feeling like life was wasted and it'll be "wasted" anyway but fuck because you can have fun and joy between birth and death.

For example one of the things I think is very useful to bring back is the "contemplation of death". With all the technology we have today, death (and any other discomfort) is encouraged to be forgotten and completely avoided what creates a lot of suffering. I can clearly see this attitude among my friends and family now.

When I started reading sometimes I got envious about some people/time but after a while you get that if they could see you they would be envy too and that's the beauty of the time. Anyone, any time had good and bad days, happy and sad moments and need to go through boring shit exactly like you need to do today. Everything is the same with a different skin.

More or less, yeah, but that seems to end once the computer is off.

Then, it's just being cynical and self masturbatory about the deeply held simplifications and misunderstandings of the general public.

History absolutely made me a better person, by realizing how fucking stupid I am.

I adore history, it was always my best subject in school. It made me realize every race/culture has a few skeletons in their closet. So yeah, nobody is perfect and world peace will probably never happen as long as their is greed. Also, every race is pretty fucked up at some level.

>USA let Japan get away with Unit 731. The Green Cross was founded using their super villain levels of evil research.
>Africa sold the world most of their slaves. So in a really weird way blacks are to blame for black slavery.
>The catholic church did nothing for the Jews during WWII
>The Native Americans were not very peaceful. They all had tribe wars before white people showed up and goofed them over.
>Hitler could've given us world peace if his insane plan worked. Granted it was an insane plan but it would've effected many generations and civilization would've been mutated/changed forever.
>Alexander The Great was essentially the first rock star.

Do lots of people really think Native Americans were total hippies in pre-colonial times? That just seems retarded

I became more conservative studying history

Why would the Catholic church do something for the people that killed jesus?

The Romans killed Jesus.