Things Implemented Into Automobiles That Leave You Scratching Your Head

>longitudinal FWD

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XuHIemMF4kY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Toronado
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

predates transverse fwd and can accommodate large inline engines without compromising front suspension design

Other than the Saab 900, what other cars used this engine layout?

I think there was a Chevy or Chrysler back in the 80s that did

Cord, Audi, Citroen, Oldsmobile, Volkswagen, Honda there's probably more

That sparetire in the engine compartment like the French do.

Chrysler putting the battery in the fucking wheelwell so you have to take the drivers side wheel off to get to it.

That loop of radiator hose that runs from the thermostat housing right back into the thermostat housing on 90's Civics.

Being able to switch from auto to manual transmission. Never understood why this started being a thing for cars. Does it benefit in some way, or is it just to cater to those who prefer to shift manually? No clutch tho, so meh

but this exists
youtu.be/XuHIemMF4kY

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Toronado

Dodge v10 with coil packs under a giant intake manifold. Spark plugs wires take 4-6 hours to do.

If you pay attention. Back then autos had a L for Low or 1-2-3. The manualmatic is the same shit really.

>IFS "heavy duty" trucks
>select a gear automatics for shitbox cars
>column mounted shifter
>eliminating gauges (oil, tach, temp, etc.)
>the "B" gear selection on hybrids
>automatics that don't have a "low" gear
>four door hatchbacks
>crossover vehicles existing at all
>haldex AWD
>Jeep calling their glorifeid AWD systems "4x4"
>infotainment
>4g connectivity
>push button start but no way to just have the car "on" (motor not running) to roll windows up or something similar
>immobilizers that don't work
>the car has a keypad that you enter a code into before it can start

So it'd just be safer to keep it on auto?

RWD with column shift.

I just want a comfy floor shifter in my boat that's stock, and looks great, and fits perfect.

Mercedes 190s?

Most I've seen with the push on is that you simply press the button without pushing the break in and it'll turn on, but not start. But a thing I find annoying is that when you press the button, it shuts the engine off completely when one simply wants to keep it on stand by to listen to the radio while waiting, or something of the like.

>Wifi hotspot things
>Twist dial gear selector

The infotainment one annoys me the most. I'm so glad my car still just has a normal stereo with buttons and shit, as opposed to a laggy, unintuitive touchscreen where every function is hidden behind 4 menus for no reason

When automakers decided that you don't actually need to be able to see out of your car and made driving every modern vehicle feel like sitting in a cave

Darn you, I was gonna post the Toronado.
>FWD longitudinal mounted 455 V8

>column mounted shifter
What's confusing about this? Shifter on the column means no center console means you can either give the car a bench seat or leave the gap between the bucket seats (i.e. for police cars who need the extra space for equipment).

Column shifters are life.

This shit is because of CAFE regulations that force automakers to build cars all slabsided and tall to satisfy/ cheat the fuel efficiency standards equations the law uses.

Why trucks get fatter and taller every year.

>FWD

FWD Subies

I would love to more than anything buy a SW20 and make it FWD to have the worst fucking engine layout ever.

RF, just imagine it.

I can vouch for 4 door hatchbacks.
Still small and nice but god tier amount of room.

it's beneficial for cars a bit lacking in power or without a "sports" mode because it lets you force the car into a lower gear for overtaking or something. can also be used for extra engine braking if you're really desperate.

Egr's on diesels.

190 is rwd

Wouldn't it be MF?

Shit true, MF. Still fucking atrocious

Diesel is where an EGR makes most sense

This.

Why the babby engine? Why not the 500ci in the FWD Caddy?

The starter location on northstar engines.

So they can plug up every hundred thousand miles? What the hell you talking about? Having emissions crap on tractors out in the field is the dumbest shit this country is ever done to any Machinery ever

When diesel burns V hot it creates a lot of oxides of nitrogen. These are pretty poisonous and bad for humans. If you put exhaust gas back into the cylinder a little it runs cooler because the exhaust gas isn't flammable so it reduces the oxides of nitrogen. It's not a save the planet thing, it's a save you thing

You need to stop sucking tailpipes son. There's no reason a tractor needs an EGR the stack is about 2 feet over your head most the time.

5+L engines that barely even produce 200 hp and have shit tier fuel economy and are still regarded as 10/10 engines/cars

I feel like you're not too dumb to understand diffusion, you're just putting it on

you dumb nigger naws increases your horsepower. how dumb do you have to be to not know that

FUCKING THIS! WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT?!

you mean just like the Honda Del Sol?

How is 242hp from a V12 any better? If you can even get the piece of shit to run...

NOx is heavier than air in any of its various formulations:
Air: 29 g/mol
N+O = 30 g/mol
N + 2O = 46 g/mol

>select a gear automatics for shitbox cars
>Automatics without a "low" selection

Low is just first you cunt. Also I can tell you're a flatlander because when you are descending a steep road being able to select gears can really save your brakes. And satisfy my autism

>Olds still had their own Rocket V8 so there was no reason to use another marque's engines in their new flagship car; the 425/455 Rockets were already proven engines, the latter especially from the Cutlass/442/Vista Cruiser and the 88/98
>the Cadillac's "World's Largest" engines were extremely large and heavy and didn't rev high easily for a less than reasonable power increase over the Rocket, which was quickly lost as the 70's went on and the 500 cu-in engine found itself making 200hp or less
>not to mention they didn't even exist yet when the Toronado was in development and for the first few years of its production

I have a car with it, When I go to pass someone in a tight space ill change gears to put me into the powerband before i go to pass.

>wifihotspot

That is a passanger convenience item. I didnt think much of them till I road tripped and was able to use my laptop in the back.

Del Sol is just a civic with a bodykit, engines in the front.

Paddle shifters in automatics that lag so much they serve no decernable purpose

>mfw downshifts in old 4speeds
w-why ;_;

Honda Vigor