Formosa is a better name than Taiwan

Formosa is a better name than Taiwan.

Any other examples of countries giving themselves terrible new names

Other urls found in this thread:

translate.google.fi/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fi&ie=UTF-8&u=https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomi#Nimi&edit-text=&act=url
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland#Suomi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Eland
youtube.com/watch?v=xDcK_z5GA5s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

burma/myanmar

Pakistan is the worst, I couldn't believe at first that a country would actually have initials as its name.

>Although known as the ‘Pakistan Resolution’, the Lahore text made no mention of ‘Partition’ or ‘Pakistan’ as such. The term was still an academic fiction. It had first been adopted by a group of Muslims at Cambridge in the early 1930s as a wishful acronym for a greater Muslim homeland consisting of P(unjab), A(fghania, i.e. the North-West Frontier), K(ashmir), I(ran), S(ind), T(urkharistan), A(fghanistan) and (Baluchista)N. It also meant, according to its inventor, ‘the land of the paks – the spiritually pure and clean’.

Formosa sounds like some latin american shithole.

t. Taiwanese.

Finland, which in finnish is called Suomi roughly translates into swamp.

Persia>Iran

Ah... Its just hit me

Finn = fen

You live in fenland lol

>giving themselves

They call themselves the Republic of China. Taiwan is the name of the island. Formosa was the Portuguese name for it.

In Italian language "Formosa" means a woman with great and prominent curves. Like the one in your pic OP. Doesn't fit much to south-east asians

>Taiwan
>Southeast Asia.

east Asia

Gambia changed it's name to "Islamic Republic of The Gambia" in 2015

>Central
>African
>Republic

Rhodesia\Zimbabwe. A fitting new name for the shithole it became.

Ceylon (an internationally recognized brand due to the tea) to Sri Lanka. Fucking seriously?

Formorsa sounds like fornication.

Pretty appropriate name for Taiwan since they're being fucked and kucked by everyone.

Great Britain>United Kingdom of all my friend...

>The Gambia
>The
>THE

why this?

Because it's a river.

Formosa more like Whoremosa amirite?

So the country is literally just the river.

What the fuck.

not a country but the changing of the new world's name from Colombia to the Americas.

>Formosa
>Not Republic of China

Colombus was a piece of shit. I'm glad he was cucked out of getting America named after him.

Kinda prefer Hellenic Republic to Greece here.

>Taiwan
>Country

Cuck cuck cuck, like a broken fucking record

thank you for correcting the record™

It really is

I don't know many other examples of countries giving themselves different names aside from Siam but there are many western adoptions that are different from native names.
North Korea - Chosŏn
South Korea - Hanguk
Japan - Nippon
China - Zhōnghuá
India - Bhārat
Spain- España
Italy - Italia
Russia - Rossíya
Poland - Polska
Sweden - Sverige
Germany - Deutschland
Egypt - Maṣr
Israel - Yisra'el
Cambodia - Kâmpŭchéa

Tbf some of these are just English pronunciations of the native names, like Russia, Cambodia(?), and Italy.

>Amerigo Boipucci

>Confoederatio Helvetica
>Switzerland

>(Baluchista)N
They kinda got the shaft there huh

>it should have been called Pakistab

Ho chi mihn city
Stalingrad
Leningrad
Any of the istans

The "Suo" in "Suomi" isn't referring to swamps.

actually Great Zimbabwe was pretty rich

>inb4 WE WUZ

prove it yellow fucker

>Japan

>not Zipang

translate.google.fi/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fi&ie=UTF-8&u=https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomi#Nimi&edit-text=&act=url

The earliest explanations word is explained in the marsh or flake derivatives, but the more recent interpretations that it is a loan word . The loan one possible source kantabaltin countries have shown (meaning 'Region', 'regional', 'power to the circuit') word for zeme, which also names Häme and Sami would come from. Another explanation is that the word was borrowed from the Indo-European people from the word (meaning 'people', 'nation'), in which case it would be the same root as, for example, Latin, gay, man.

Google translate is clunky as fuck but I think you get the jist

Oh, English wiki has it too

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland#Suomi

Ukraine and Belarus are better as Malorossiya.

They're even better as a nuclear wasteland.

Holland - the Netherlands - Nederland

Britain sounds way better than U.K

but the UK is not just Great Britain, it ecompasses all the various posessions of the reptilian lady, like northern potatoland and "irrelevant carribean island #3234"

>Good ol' Bohemia and Moravia gets renamed to Czech Republic

That's reserved for Poland, Britain and America.

>Czech Republic
>Not Czechia, which is what it's called in every other European language

"Taiwan" is not their official name, it's still "Republic of China"
That's because it's a Portuguese name

Alba - Scotland

>buthurt mainlanders

>pakistab

Most exonyms for Germany are atrocious. All terms derived from Germania, Alemanni and niemc are shit. Only terms derived from diutisc, Saxons, and teutonica are good.

The old Norse referred to Finnic tribes as Finns because they were hunters and gatherers. "Finn" shares a root with the English word "find". Finns were people who FOUND their food instead of herding and growing it. The name was later adapted to speakers of Uralic languages, etc.

China the land/state is Zhongguo
Chinese civilization & culture is Zhonghua.

catchy

Holland never referred to all the Netherlands

OOGA BOOGA GAIJIN

>Most exonyms for Germany are atrocious

I think Hannover / Hanover is my favourite one. so subtle, yet so annoying when stupid Brits try to correct your spelling.

what are you talking about, Germania, and alemania are all aesthetic. I don't think the germans have an exonym for Germany anyways. Theudiskaz refers to people, not the land itself.

>Mao NOdong

Magyarország > hungry
Anatolia - Turkey

Zhongguo is the name formerly and vernacularly used for the country.
Zhonghua is the official name in the entire Sinic world.

Daily reminder that both the United Provinces of South America and Argentine Confederacy sound much better than the Argentine Republic.

The darker shade of blue was way cooler too.

Also, funfact: Formosa is the name of one of our provinces. It means "beautiful" in Medieval Spanish.

What are you talking about?
An exonym is a name for a people or a land that was given to them by another people - not the people themselves. Thus the Germans can't have an exonym for themselves or their own country. I think Deutschland and its related terms are very appropriate because there were a wide variety of different Germanic, Slavic and Romance peoples living in the lands of what is now Germany. There was no national identity, but still a movement for unification. People used to identify with Swabia, Schaumburg, Waldeck and all those other tiny lands but they formed a large unified country out of that.

Hattusa>Galatia>Anatolia>Turkey

We never had a name for the whole thing t.b.h.

>beautiful
>formosa;
>frumoasa;

I just love romance languages.

How did ancient flips get around then?

>Finns were people who FOUND their food instead of herding and growing it
Are you making a joke on purpose? Believe it or not, but buckwheat has been farmed by Finns since 5300BC

>tfw Greece is officially "Republic of the Hellenic people" in my language but everyone calls it Greece

Each island had a name, most of which are unchanged today save for Negros (originally Buglas, but Spics encountered really dark non-austronesian-malay people there so they named it Niggers).

We just didn't have a name for the whole archipelago. The first ones to name the whole place were the Imperial Chinese. Called it 麻逸 (Ma-i).

>land of the paks – the spiritually pure and clean’.
>Get JEWED, PARSI'D, SIKH'D, HINDU'D and BENGALED all in the same war.

>Any other examples of countries giving themselves terrible new names
I dunno but Tanzania > United Republic of Tanganyika and Zanzibar

Helvetic Rrepublic > Switzerland

Your dubs are a sham, Argentine Republic sounds so much better than those.

Finns was originally a term for Uralic hunter-gatherer peoples in Scandinavia, directly adjacent to the Germanic peoples there.
>he earliest mentions of this kind are usually interpreted to have meant Fennoscandian hunter-gatherers whose closest successors in modern terms would be the Sami people.[26] It has been suggested that this non-Uralic ethnonym is of Germanic language origin and related to such words as finthan (Old High German) 'find', 'notice'; fanthian (Old High German) 'check', 'try'; and fendo (Old High German) and vende (Old Middle German) 'pedestrian', 'wanderer'.[27]
Also I don't know if Buckwheat farming can be counted as agriculture.

Have you looked them up on a map? It is just the Gambia river and not much else.

But its not weird to name your country after the dominating river: Uruguay, Paraguay, Congo just to name a few.

I like how the capital is in the mouth of the river.

>wonder how such a completely retarded nation could ever be formed
>suspect that the Eternal Anglo is probably involved in this somehow
>look it up
He actually is.

ZIMBABWE

Rhodesia sounds much better.

>Confoederatio Helvetica
Whats wrong with a bit of Latin? Seems to make sense considering they speak 4 different languages.

Albion > Great Britain

Albion sounds like a place where you go to find a guy to slay the dragon that's terrorizing your village.

they officialy changed it to czechia recently

"The Netherlands"
So culturally cucked your name is literally written in English

FYROMacedonia
Instead of choosing from a glorious palette of names such as: Vardarska Banovina, Southern/Old Serbia, Greater Skopje, Butthurt Bulgaria

>tfw you will never be a mercenary sent to infiltrate Zanzibar Land and disarm Metal Gear

Its called Nederland in the Netherlands so idk what you are talking about.

It referred to the most important provinces, though, back when the independence was still fresh, and the unification not solidified.

I didn't come here to feel

I've been reading a lot about the Bush War recently. The Rhodesian SAS and the Selous Scouts were just on a completely different level.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Eland

>84 Rhodies v ~5000 Guerillas
>Result: 4 Rhodesians injured, more than 1000 guerrillas dead

Sami are not Finns. Finns and Sami are descended from the same people. Finns had little to no contact with Germanics, but Sami's had extensive interaction with Germanics.
>Also I don't know if Buckwheat farming can be counted as agriculture.
lol

Agreed, although it should be said that "Iran" was always what the locals called it. Actually there is a kinda interesting symmetry there - in persian Greece is called "Ionia" because the Ionians were the first greek people to be met by iranian army - the same reason why their country was known as "Persia" in the west

I know, I'm telling you for the third time: The term Finns, which was originally applied to the Sami, turned into a general term for Finno-Ugric speaking peoples and then was narrowed down to what is today known as Finns.
About the buckwheat thing, I just doubt it was as important as a staple crop as wheat is today.

the "guerrillas" were not even armed

Mugabe please, next you'll be saying it was a civilian settlement.

>good ol' Tri-united kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia
>renamed Hrvatska
has science go too far??

>you'll never form a ragtag of mercenaries to invade Namibia and start a perpetual war

Take this!
youtube.com/watch?v=xDcK_z5GA5s