What is it about old interiors that make them so likeable compared to modern ones?

What is it about old interiors that make them so likeable compared to modern ones?

fedora tier taste

Part of me wishes BMW would go back to this style with some of the modern features mixed in.

That looks pretty great if they updated the electronics and got rid of the fat lip of leather around it.

They generally weren't designed with women in mind, and they lack a lot of bullshit in comparison to modern interiors.

they're simple and work, modern design at its best.

Now with infotainment and car modes and settings and crap it doesn't simply work. There are no buttons that do one function

Old interiors were about ergonomics, practicality, and driver engagement.

New interiors are about information overload, "wow so cool!", and making the owner feel wealthy.

There's no fucking tablet glued to the dash
Steering wheel doesn't have a keyboard on it

Old BMW interiors are the best.

Pic related

>modern nice interior without many bullshit

This.

While that's nice, it's a little busy for me.
I love the car, but it doesn't have the same charm as my Alfa.

I'm with you user.

Also: HNNNNNGGGG

My family is really into Alfas. They're so nice

>Giulietta Sprint Speciale
hnnnng

what car?

E30 M3

>all those square buttons

MMMMMMMMM OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAA

At least some companies are doing it right. Can't get much more un-cluttered than this.

Just wish they made the screen a bit more robust... it currently doesn't look too strong

Go away fucking shill.

That is not an interior at all, it just two seats and a monitor.

>someone likes something i don't! SHILL!
please contain your autism

just because people like things you don't like doesn't mean they're shills, pal

when did this >shill meme start anyways? Feels like pre-2015 it wasn't really a thing here

>column mounted shift pads
WHY

(you)
(you)

Liking that piece of shit NON interior is only up to a paid shill or a severely mentally ill person.

I don't know what you're talking about.
My old ass interior is cheap, plasticy, and rattles like crazy. The lights are so dim you can barely see the guages at night. The switches feel like they're going to break, and indeed many of them don't work.

Modern interiors are better in every way.

(you) need to chill out

what, did your shorting of $tsla not work out or something?

>A sea of hard black plastic
>Complete lack of equipment
>"b-but muh pure driving experience"
>Likeable

Tell us why it's likeable, because I really don't see. It's not a racecar, it's a road car. You have to be pretty high on the autistic scale to not appreciate modern comfort, and that's coming from someone who dds a "muh driving machine". But I'd give my left ball for aircon and remote central locking and if I wasn't a poorfag I'd replace it for a 2017 car as DD.

Minimalistic design doesn't work for cars, it just looks cheap.

is that not just because we expect expensive cars to have xyz features/design elements in the first place?

I hate to make the comparison, but I remember in 2017 when people said that the iPhone was shit because it didn't have physical buttons

but now the standard for phones changed, and phones with physical buttons seem kinda cheap I guess

That's not only that, you also need to see the craft of different materials, textures, colors and lines inside to feel luxurious. Here it just looks too simple.

Simplicity. Your brain doesn't have to work hard to understand what the fuck it is looking at.

Nothing. A fucking modern Kia looks more luxurious than an 80s Aston Martin interior

What's funny, is that automobile actually gets a LOT more basic. Probably thee most base model modern car in the world.

that actually looks kinda freaky. like a mans face with no eyes or something

I don't like how you're shoehorned into a set space. Old cars you had room to move about and put your legs in different spots so they didnt cramp up on long drives

> inb4 cruise control

Now I get the feeling if there's a minor fender bender I'll need the jaws of life to cut me out

As much as I love the interiors in this thread, I don't think the average person would look at this interior and think it's nice. Most people probably judge an interior on how new the materials are and how durable it is, not ergonomics or simplicity

That's the right way to do it on a road car with a long steering rack. Putting them on the column means they'll always be in the same place and won't end up somewhere awkward when the wheel is turned at the wrong angle, and you don't risk fucking up and downshifting when you meant to upshift coming out of a hairpin or whatever. Wheel-mounted paddles only work on F1, prototypes, and other cars where the driver's hands are always in the same place on the wheel.

There's just something about simplicity that's just right.

>full numeric keypad and physical buttons out the ass, despite having a touchscreen
>a fucking analog clock
Might as well slap a keyboard and mouse in there somewhere.

they are more ergonomic and made of better materials
also they are minimal and tactile
most parts have some feel to them and can be used without looking

>autistic revving

you are mentally and spiritually diseased if you like this, not even kidding.

mine negar

What happens when the ipad inevitably crashes? Im guessing the same happens for the pleb who bought the fucking thing.

Apple of the car world.

using touch screens instead of fully mechanical buttons

>fucing pleb

I miss the minimalism of old interiors. Everything has shiney chrome shit all over everything now.

Steering wheel is trash, and the dash vent looks tacky.

The steering wheel I understand but the air vent looks fine.

I bet running my fingers across it sounds exactly like i'm imagining.

That is still available if you want it like I did.

Why the dash rug?

I live in the SoCal desert, and the sun destroys anything left uncovered.

Nice Vag

he carries the burden of the all seeing, all knowing speedometer
just enough sentience to know it isn't quite sentient
He carries the weight but he knows not why

It has a mouse, or a laptop touch pad at least.

>Analog and digital clock times do not match.

Fire the entire marketing team.

Is this really still a problem? I haven't seen any cars with cracked dashboards that were newer than the 1980's except for a few special cases such as the S-chassis Nissans and almost anything Chrysler makes. I think the nerds in lab coats figured out better formulas for polymers over the decades so you don't really need to worry about sun damage to the interior. Of course I live in the north where our cars rust off their axles long before the interior has a chance to degrade so I might just be talking out of my ass.

New ones can be done tastefully to be a homage to the past yet be present day functional

Like this 911R here that I'll never drive, sit in or even see

Kek

Top tier HHHNNNGGG

I've got a 928, so similar design time.
>My old ass interior is cheap
That's your car, it was a bare bones sports car, the 928 had a very expensive italian leather interior with leather absolutely everywhere.
>plasticy
There was very little plastic inside the 928, it was mostly metal, wood, or fiber. Again, that's a feature of the type of car you bought.

>and rattles like crazy.
We're talking about interior design, not the condition yours is in.

>The lights are so dim you can barely see the guages at night.
That's front lit gauges for you, go drive an early YJ then a late YJ to see an interior that underwent the change mid production, that's a technological advancement, not an interior design difference.
>The switches feel like they're going to break, and indeed many of them don't work.
Porsche switches of the time are notorious for breaking, but that's still nothing about the interior design, that's a bad green light from the company in order to save money, there was no technological limit of the time forcing that switch quality.

>Modern interiors are better in every way.
Wrong, the leathers of modern interiors do not stand up to old interiors because of fire standards. Modern leathers are engineered bullshit that gives almost no leather feeling.
Modern interiors are also simply in a swooping round rut, which will age just like the 00's bubble cars did. Round bulbous plastic interiors are objectively worse aesthetic designs from a human perspective.
The materials we're using for plastic interior pieces is miles ahead of the plastics and vinyls we used in the 80's though, and hold up much better to abuse, but again that's not even relevant in a design discussion.

>mfw I know exactly where that is because I grew up passing those hills

This is a nice modern interior.
Good work porsche.

You're sounding pretty Shill-y.

I think you answered your own question.

Banning pass headed toward Palm Springs.

It's the other way around you autist. The cabin of a modern car is significantly stronger than any previous era car.

It may be good for normal cars but it is a bad option for sports cars and cars that you do spirited driving in (or track driving)

I hate porsche exterior but really like the interior

No buttons in the steering wheel.

As much as I hate to say it, this is a sleek modern interior.

e30 interior isn't that great
the left door card armest things are in uncomfortable position and have to turn a dial for lights (or pull one which gets sticky/gummy and fucks up easy).
the handbrake is also super long and slow compared to other cars

favourite interior is a mirage 1999
door card armrests are comfy, don't have that thing that sticks up for no reason on it like most cars. which is main reason I like them

the controls for a/c are simple turn dials
handbrake is in good position and isn't too slow to pull
the stock seats also slide forward/back by pulling on the side compared to e30 or other cars where you have to reach down under the seat and feel around for it too.
also have mini glovebox thing on drivers side for holding stuff rather than using the middle/passenger side glove box
same interior but with the cloth instead of fake leather on door cards is best

best of the best

I miss bench seats. I don't care how shitty they are, I like the idea of not having any center console to take up space.

new interiors just try way too hard. same problem with new exteriors. that's why autists like porsche so much. they are not tryhard.

Weren't trying too hard

Old interiors were built around the driver, plain and simple. You could easily do just about anything you needed to do without taking your eyes off the road, and it doesn't take much getting used to. Ever sit in an AW11 MR2? You look slightly to the right and the clock is right fucking there, just within your field of vision, just where it needs to be. They were simpler and easier, not done up to try (and fail) imitating something they're not. Besides, with the way things are going now, with how disposable new cars are nowadays, why even bother making it look "sophisticated"?

>no bullshit
>twisty screen control
>tons of distraction tier steering wheel gadgets
U wot m8

Stopped me harder than the feeling of candlejack sneaking up behi-

it's like with humans. obese people are ugly inside too.

Man, California, Nevada and other US desert stuff look so comfy to drive in.

I think one day I'll seriously book a flight from Europe just to spend a week there and have a long car trip

That gearstick looks fucking horrible

Simplicity and bizarre design options that at the time were considered "cutting edge" or something.

It's nice once you actually drive one, very ergonomic.