Veeky Forums Discussion Thread

Hiro allowed one meta thread per board

Discuss anything related to the state of moderation on this board

I'll start off with suggesting that Veeky Forums should become History and Law, while the other humanities are contained in /hum/ - Humanities

without humanities this board would be very dry and homogenous. history and philosophy are subject that make for slow boards when separated, but a healthy board when combined. let it be, if a thread makes you angry for existing, either filter it or you could also try growing up.

the moderation is fine on this board, and I wouldn't say that about every board, on some boards it's pretty abused. I have literally never had a problem with a moderation decision here.

why are you mad enough to make a thread? did a mod delete your shitpost?

Bump

we should have a limited amount of holocaust/ww2 threads, ban "you wake up in the year 1XXX" threads and make a /rel/ board where religion and morality crap can be dumped.

history is pretty moderately popular subject on its own. History and law are the same since they require the analysis of evidence to reach a conclusion that either teach people about something or support an argument.

i'd prefer a slow history board over a board thats constantly getting polluted by philosophy and religious bait threads.

>why are you mad enough to make a thread? did a mod delete your shitpost?

did you just skim over the OP in half a second then proceed to make a reply with a smug anime pic? i know its really hard for you to keep your mouth closed, breathe through your nose and comprehend a simple post, but at least try

Send any and all religion topics to /x/ where they belong.

Send enthic bickering back to /int/.

Send philosophic and feels threads back to /s4s/.

It'd be nice if we could find a way to increase the rate at which people post proper citations.

We definitely need to do something about those inflationary Holocaust and religion threads. Every time I refresh the frontpage, there's two religion and one Holocaust denial threads.

Both history and law cannot be disconnected from other humanities. Just think of any discussion that involves claims of causality and culpability.

I'm all for kicking out humanities, but law is /pol/ material or maybe suitable for its own board. Just because it's related to history doesn't mean it needs to be on the same board; everything is related to history anyway.

Make Veeky Forums - History & Archaeology

>they require the analysis of evidence to reach a conclusion that either teach people about something or support an argument.
This also applies to science and humanities, so if these are the criteria for what should be discussed on this board, we should rename it to "history, law, humanities and science".

Or is it not what the board should be based around? in which case, why did you bring it up?

>i'd prefer a slow history board over a board thats constantly getting polluted by philosophy and religious bait threads.
"if a thread makes you angry for existing, either filter it or you could also try growing up."

this thread deserves to get pruned, it's literally just crossboarders whining.

>History and law are the same
one of them is a spook and is literally "humanities" you uneducated retard

the only other board that i browse and post on is Veeky Forums

>posting anime while calling others "crossboard"
>premptive "u mad" strike while acting indignant
>whines about offtopic while criticizing others for not ignoring threads

>doing all of this to defend &humanitiesposting

Most Shameful Dispray

>please treat other posters with respect and address the content of their post instead of attacking their character.

he is addressing the content of the guys post

>address the content of their post
he is

if you don't have at least six hundred anime girl pics saved on your hard drive, you don't belong on any board on this site.

Send Theology somewhere else, christposters shit up all kinds of discussions.

Not him or even a part of this discussion, but the entirety of is ad hom, it implies that the person is wrong because of their personality. Just a logic nerd, not taking sides.

i got u fammo

Ban christfags
Ban muslims
Ban feminists
Ban commies

Make Veeky Forums great again

One solution could be defining what will be included under "humanities" more strictly.

Clamp down on the stormniggers hard they're slowly starting to reinfest the board and are dragging the level of discourse way down.

"argumentum ad hominem"is a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself

>posting anime while calling others
"crossboard"
This is a Tu quoque, not an ad hominem.
>premptive "u mad" strike while acting indignant
This is another Tu quoque
>whines about offtopic while criticizing others for not ignoring threads
This is another Tu quoque

post has nothing to do with ad hominems, they're all about pointing out contradictions and hypocrisy.

>humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc

It's pretty inclusive, really the religion thing that is the core problem. They don't discuss religion as a subset of anthropology, they think they should preach or proselytize or recite prayers here.

I think the board should stay the same but the mods need to start deleting the intentionally inflammatory threads/posts. Especially /int/ / /pol/ bullshit.

is that the hacker Veeky Forums?

But that's just it, tu quoque IS a fallacy, even someone who is a hypocrite can put forth a valid argument.

>They don't discuss religion as a subset of anthropology,
Demanding everything religion-related to be a subset of anthropology is too constraining.
I hate religion threads, but I think that they can be justified to be here as a subset of theology. Note that theology is neither anthropology, nor proselytization - and reciting prayers would only be done in the context of justification, not proselytization.

I'm personally fine with religious discussion as it's deeply rooted in history (and humanities). What really grinds my gears is /pol/ "redpill" talk. It's fine if you want to discuss these subject but this conspiracy shit should just stay in /pol/.

To clarify; I mean things like race tiers and Jewish/sjw illuminati tripe

We all know that's not how it works though.

They come here to start arguments, post ebin fedora memes and then play the victim when told to fuck off.

Yes, but suggesting someone is wrong because of their personality is ad hominem. It has nothing to do with their argument, which may or may not be valid. is a series of tu quoques equalling out to be an overall ad hom.

>Its okay to claim the world was created by a jewish carpenter
>Its not okay to discus the role the jews played in things like communism

Really makes you think

Yes we actually have to ban Holocaust denial threads. All the /pol/tards just flood into threads saying "muh truth de la not fear investigation" as if (a) they are actually doing serious investigation as opposed to shitposting with image macros and (b) the holocaust has not been investigated

We should be able to have intentionalist vs functionalist discussions without the thread being ruined by fucktards.

>without humanities this board would be very dry and homogenous
"Dry and Homgenous" > Cancer

>history and philosophy are subject that make for slow boards
History isn't a subject that's good to discuss at a /b/ or /pol/ pace, its good that this place is kept somewhat slow

>the moderation is fine on this board
No its not. A good board wouldn't allow the catalog to be cluttered with religious proselyting and political propaganda

The History portions of the board always feels like /pol/.

While the Humanities portion always feels like /b/.

They warn that a history board would basically be the Hitler board, but what they didn't predict was that it became the Crusade board. I don't give a damn about your current events, the Crusades is the most overrated period in history.

Religious proselyting is relevant and there's no reason why it shouldn't be here. You can actually have some interesting discussions in such threads if you stop throwing a temper tantrum about them. Some religious people have interesting rationalization castles built upon their axioms, there is definitely something to learn about logical reasoning and the human condition through observing their arguments. Removing threads like these would be moderation abuse.

Political propaganda doesn't belong here and gets removed pretty quickly from what I can tell from lurking and posting here every day since the beginning of the board's creation. This is a good board, one of the few good boards on the site, and it's moderated well. No reason to complain about it.

Currently Veeky Forums is almost exactly what I expected.

/int/ shitposting. Shallow threads about military history, popular events, Hitler, etc. Religious shitposting (this has calmed down somewhat and you don't see as many Protestant vs Catholic or "Why you should be Orthodox" threads). Contrarian views that I've heard over a thousands times yet people present them as some super secret knowledge. Who is the best X. Terrible alt history. Lack of recommendations or citations in most threads. A few people somewhat well versed on some topic but either rarely post because the topic doesn't come up that often or their posts are accompanied by some strong bias (usually /int/ shitposting).

It's ok to discuss religion and jewish involvement in communism. It's not okay to spout epic remove kebab memes, or add ((parentheses)) instead of argueing a point like an actual human being.
Threads like Add nothing to a discussion and should just fuck off back to /pol/

trying too hard
third strike, you're out

Still better than most boards desu.

that looks more like /int/

Obligatory

this desu senpai

I think art and a lot of the other humanities can stay, philosophy and religion are the only ones that need to be contained.

Also PDFs when

We need more threads like that Great Game user