25 year old. Just got license. Buying my first car and can't decide between manual or automatic

25 year old. Just got license. Buying my first car and can't decide between manual or automatic.

Give me something to make up my mind.

do you want to have fun driving?
Manual.
Do you want to get angry at your gearbox all the time?
Automatic

Does it really make shitty decisions sometimes?

Buy a manual if you want to make having fun in this car a priority. Buy an automatic if you'd just like to throttle and steer the car.

Can't think of one reason why auto is better other than "hurr durr muh traffic"

Every time unless you're driving in stop and go traffic.

If you're gonna get it just as transport from a to b and never hoon just get auto,

>If you're gonna get it just as transport from a to b and never hoon just get auto,
Only if he's buying a new car though.

If you ever want to drive outside of the USA, you should be familiar with manual shifting.

There are almost no automatic cars in the rest of the world.

Well at least in Europe automatics are reserved for luxury landbarges and disabled people

This is only because Europeans were a lot poorer when automatics hit the scene they were marketed as a luxury. Kind of like how Europeans don't play football or baseball, because they're frail and have no hand-eye coordination

The one flaw of automatics that may never be corrected by future technology is that it can't predict when you will accelerate/decelerate. If I'm trying to pass someone on the state highway, it would be optimal to downshift in order to increase engine speed and therefore increase horsepower (always true unless you were cruising at 5K RPM, which is inefficient and dumb). In an automatic, I either have to get into the passing/oncoming lane and press hard on the gas (i.e. spend way too much time in that lane), or accelerate until the transmission sees that I'm accelerating and downshifts, (which will bring me way too close to the car in front of me).

But automatics are way cheaper in the used market because nobody wants them.

Fauna of this thread:

>90% of people talking bad about the automatic gearbox are thinking about 90's and early 2000's era automatics because they only have driven shitboxes during their lives so their opinion is massively biased as they don't know modern automatics

>9% never drove an automatic and only trust memes, also they don't know about different types of automatics gearboxes

>1% are trolling

I didn't think people were so poor in Western Europe.

So tell me, why is a modern auto better than manual for someone who doesn't mind moving his right hand from time to time?

i have driven modern automatics and the only thing that ever redeems them is when you can manually shift gears with them, so why not save some money and get a manual, unless you are a little pussy and your leg gets tired easily

Because modern autos select gear better than people these days. I won't judge if you want to be retarded and pretend that doing itself gives you hipster cred though

My bus driver is also pretty good at selecting the gears, should I just give up driving altogether?

why dont we all just fucking kill ourselves because whats the point in living anymore if a machine does it better

You can push-start a manual when your battery is drained.
You can prevent theft with a manual because thieves don't know how to drive them.
Manual transmissions are MUCH more reliable than automatics, and are cheaper to fix or service on the rare occasion there is an issue. Automatics are ticking time bombs. They have internal [wet] clutches that are guaranteed to wear out eventually, along with plenty of complicated solenoids and electronic and hydraulic nonsense ready to fail.
Cars with manuals typically depreciate less and eventually become sought after by those buying used which lets you sell for a bit more.
You can easily roll down hills if you accidentally climbed too high.
You will gain a life skill that will benefit you and open doors closed to others.
I could go on...

You don't actually believe all that bullshit do you? You sound like my fucking grandpa trying to convince me that using a typewriter was so much better than a PC.

Is a car just like a white good to you?
Is a car like a fridge freezer?
Do you often find yourself saying "I don't really care man it's just a car I just want something to get from A to B"?
Are you mentally or physically handicapped?
Are you frequently described as "clumsy" and have terrible physical coordination.

Then get an automatic.

Are you an autist who likes to be in full control of what the car is doing at all times?
Do you want to physically shift gears in and out of place at times you choose yourself?
Are you a bit of a control freak?
Do you often find yourself saying "Muh sheer driving pleasure, I love this road man"

Buy manual.

Since you're posting on Veeky Forums I think the answer is obvious.

Yes, I do believe all that bullshit.

Which statements do you feel are incorrect?
Which benefits do you feel an automatic provides?

Except people actively desire manuals because they're better.

Even normies think they're better but that's mainly because they're cheaper and easier to wrench on.

It's not that it's incorrect, it's just that the list is all insignificant bullshit that makes you look like you're really stretching to find reasons to drive a manual instead of making a convincing argument. I mean, I can push start my car if the battery dies? Well whoop-de-fucking doo. I can roll down hills? Wow, amazing stuff. If that's the best you can come up with it's not surprising manual is dying out. It's obsolete.

I talk shit cause I've driven gearboxes from luxury cars, performance german cars and generic daily cars.
New and old.
They're always shit. But normies prefer autos.
I drive because I like to control my car and explore its and my limits.
If I wanted something with a mind of it's own I'd be riding horses.

It's a matter of preference.
According to Veeky Forums poll 89% of people prefer manuals for driving pleasure anyways.

If you like autos you like FWD french SUV's with seating for 6 and enough power and torks to get you to speed limits when for some reason highway is closed and you are FORCED to take the shitty, unsafe, terrifying bendy backroads home late at night when driving your wife and her new bed partner home from a party

The only argument you came up for automatics is that they select gears better than a driver can. First, it's a subjective thing, second, an auto tranny can't read my mind, therefore I can select gears better IMO.

this. I've had too many times the gearbox shift midcorner or after i'm done braking or shift down then up then down again when overtaking.

Liking cars is an irrational thing anyway.
There's a reason 90% of car people swear by manuals and drive cars that can't beat muh vette on burgerking

It's fairly objective at this point, at the high end anyway. Look at stuff like the Porsche PDK.

If you spend everyday in slow traffic that's the only case I would go for a semi auto

>It's a matter of preference.
Not really. Like my Grandpa you might have a preference for using a typewriter but you're still a retard if you actually type your work out on one. What you're missing is that 90% of daily driving is in stop/start traffic conditions. When the majority of driving people experience on a day to day basis makes manuals more of a pain than enjoyable of course they're going to go for autos. You like to make it sound like it's all fun on twisting open roads when in reality the majority of the time you're shifting between first and second gear over and over while you crawl along to work.

>Do you want to get angry at your gearbox all the time?

true that.

I was very angry when I rented a car in the US, it was dodge charger 3.5L 2011. there was literally no engine braking. Insane

Since than I rented few cars in the US and all them were auto and it was pain to drive them.

>when I drive the car I want the driving to be as much about the car as possible because I can't drive
okay benchracer. I bet you think gt86 is the worst car ever made too

I'm incredibly clumsy and drive a manual with no difficulty whatsoever. I make the odd mistake when I downshift (either over or under rev, but not that often) and that's about it. Haven't stalled or messed up a hill start since I passed my test.

or use your flappy paddles

>he lets computers select gears for him because it does a better job

I bet you also let Tyrone fuck your wife because he does a better job

>25 year old. Just got license
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I suspect that some combination of radar tech + machine learning will be able to do predictive downshifting in the near future. But for now, that's why a DCT or even a good torque converter will let you downshift, hang onto revs, and all of that shit. I can bang against the redline on a "sporty" TC automatic all fucking day long if I want. Manuals have been functionally obsolete for a long time now.

What automatics will never be able to replicate is the level of driver involvement involved in shifting a manual, which scratches some weird itch that gearheads have.

They're a lot faster, way faster than any human can be. Go drive a Porsche that has a PDK and manual version. You will be very noticeably faster with PDK. You'll likely enjoy the manual more.

>THIS

AI's driving cars around tracks will be faster and more effecient and consistent than humans ever will.
Yet we still take the car to the track to enjoy our own imperfections.

I drive a manual purely because I'm a fidgeter. I'd fall asleep driving an auto

Where do you live?

>Rural/Outer 'burbs: Manual
>Inner suburbs and city: Auto

not true LOL

Nice samefag

At least reply to both posts so I can prove you wrong with less effort

I know exactly 1 person with an automatic in Germany and he's disabled.

Unless you bought a $45,000 car, it has a minimally better transmission than a 90s shitbox.

As someone who drives an automatic car, I'd say get a manual car.
I regret not getting a manual car even if I don't even know how to drive one.

One of the worst things about manuals are the hill starts. It will take a bit of practice so you don't end up stalling and rolling back on hills. Also, never, EVER climb a steep hill from stop in a manual unless you know what you are doing. Your car won't have enough power and you will stall during your attempt to get up the hill and your car would roll back. God forbid it's daylight and there are other cars (automatics) behind you trying to get up the same hill.

Hill starts are fine, just use the handbrake.
Apply a bit of gas, rise the clutch to the biting point (you'll feel the car start to pull against the handbrake slightly) and disengage the brake. Slowly rise the clutch and apply more gas as you go. Unless you're climbing a fucking 3 in 10 slope you're fine in even the most anaemic car.

it's really not hard. you bring the clutch up to bite then you press down a bit and use the brake to prevent the car from moving. then allow more bite until you can prevent the car from rolling without brake usage. then set the gas to around 1,500 revsand let the clutch up and gun it to 3000 thousand revs.

Explain to me why I can't make it up these 2 hills then to get to my apartment. Is my car just not powerful enough?

that's a turn in, just apply a small amount of gas

Have tried, car doesn't make it. Stalls near the top. Is it possible my 110hp econobox just isn't strong enough

no, my car could make it up that and it's a piece of shit with all of 67hp

Because your clutch control is fucking gash. Sort yourself out

What gear should I be in when I attempt to climb this hill then?

from stationary, first. You could turn in and go up in second quite easily though, it isn't that steep

what gear are you usually in going up this hill,

Fucking true. The only other country I can think of with more autos than manuals is Japan. In everywhere else manuals are the norm.

i'll expand-if you're stationary, you could honestly go up that ramp just using your clutch if you wanted to try it. Don't make a habit of it, but you might want to give it a go once or twice just for practice.

I like the manuals way better, I have one in my Car and my Truck (I am not American but German and it is no Pickup :D). Surely the auto shifts quicker and everything, but I'm not a Race driver and for me it doesn't count if I was a little slower while having much more pleasure driving my car or Truck. For me as an Engineering guy it is much more joy to have a good functioning manual, where I can feel the mechanic. And it is much easier to maintain then a auto. I can simply drain the gearbox refill it and it is done. The Autos have to be flushed and shit getting new filters and so on.
I would always buy a Manual, when there aren't any new cars available with manuals I have to get an oldtimer.

>Stalls near the top. Is it possible my 110hp econobox just isn't strong enough

That's literally not possible. 110 horses under the hood and it can't lift its own weight up a tiny ass hill??

You're not giving it enough gas or letting the revs get too low without clutching back in or something.

Don't be afraid to brake on a steep hill and change down to 1st for extra power. Stop if necessary.

Every single brit does hill starts on their driving test, every fucking normie texting 17 year old girl can do it. It's not difficult

I just got back from a grocery run.

Half the fun was being in exactly the right gear for every yard of the road, even though normies were clogging it. I switched around different gears just to listen to my engine make different sounds.

I did stall for the first time in in like a year, but even that was fun for lols.

>25 year old.
>Just got license

Fucking Millennials

Remember when you were all excited and couldn't wait to be able to drive?

Kids these days just don't know from fun anymore or something.

People are going to talk shit about automatics, but the fact is theres this unwarranted sense of pride for driving manual.

Is this going to be your first or only car? Buy an automatic. They take less effort to use. You can drive them easier. You never have to worry about the stupid thing stalling on you because you got distracted for a second and let the clutch out too fast or worry about cooking the clutch. If you do a lot of highway driving, you can sit back and relax and not have to shift down when you come someone being slow in front of you and on your side that you have to shift down for. You dont have to constantly be worried about what gear you're in or know that in order to shift up for maximum mileage, you have to do extra work. Driving in stop and go traffic is fucking MISERABLE. Hills are also miserable no matter what people who drive manuals claim. Its extra work that technology has proved that you don't have to do.

If down the road you want to get a little sports car and drive a manual then on the weekends, thats fine. Go drive your friends manual and think to yourself "Man I really dont want to do this shifting shit 100% of the time, so I'm not going to daily one of these".

Nobody is going think you are more of a man because you drive stick, in fact they will probably think "haha yeah stop and go traffic must suck for that guy he must think driving a manual makes people like him".

I had a manual and sold it. Theres just no point unless you have a under powered car with a shitty 4-speed auto transmission that makes the car worthless when needing power, like my first gen Miata was. So I sold it. Just don't buy a shitty under powered car in the first place.

Get an automatic, make sure it at least has a 5 speed transmission, and if you want to shift it, get paddle shifters.

Don't fall for the meme and get a daily driver that will make you work more and be miserable.

You are not more of a man because you refuse to use newer technology.

>You never have to worry about the stupid thing stalling on you because you got distracted for a second and let the clutch out too fast or worry about cooking the clutch.

that doesn't happen if you spent like a week driving a car with manual transmission in it

> If you do a lot of highway driving, you can sit back and relax and not have to shift down when you come someone being slow in front of you and on your side that you have to shift down for.

same for manual, actually you almost don't change gears while driving on a highway.

>You dont have to constantly be worried about what gear you're in

what a BS.

Have you ever driven a car with manual transmission??

Yeah dude you are right, after a while you are one with the gearbox and you just feel what gear you need, you are simply much more bonding with the manual. And yes on the Highway I mostly stay in 6th gear, with 380Nm of torque you can go from 80 to 240 in the same gear if you are lazy. Driving on highways is simply boring, going up an Hill is what brings joy.

>Because modern autos select gear better than people these days.

This isn't true. My mom just got a brand new Civic and it's transmission is complete garbage. It's programmed for "muhh MPGs!" and revs low as fuck unless you hammer on the gas and there's no in-between. Either you're cruising along with the engine barely revving or you're jamming the gas down and making the engine scream to get by someone.

It has a slightly more entertaining sport mode that lets the CVT stay at higher revs but it's still nothing special or enjoyable. Modern performance autos like DCTs and PDKs might be top notch but CVTs and the autos in most consumer cars are still trash and horribly geared for muh mpgs.

Lived in a big city with amazing public transport. Owning a car there is a waste.

I really like driving manual but if you buy a non CVT auto you would probably be better off.

I commute about 1000 a week in a current gen VW Beetle with a 6 speed manual.

Mostly highway miles so it's all good. The problem is on the once or twice a week I get stuck in stop and go I want to kill myself.

I also have the Beetle that was built around the GTI engine so it chugs gas....

I pass a Toyota dealer every day, that Yaris iA looks more and more tempting with every traffic jam and 30 dollar fill up twice a week.

> it's transmission is complete garbage. It's programmed for "muhh MPGs!" and revs low as fuck unless you hammer on the gas and there's no in-between. Either you're cruising along with the engine barely revving or you're jamming the gas down and making the engine scream to get by someone.

I rented two nissans (maxima & sentra) few month ago in the US and they behave exactly like that.

And there was no engine braking at all (but I believe it's a US thing)

Garbage.

>Petrol costs $2 a litre
>Not caring about fuel efficiency
You're either rich or retarded

Not true, in Europe only small cheap cars are MT and even that is changing.

I'm slav euro and my shitty DD Ford Focus is AT.

Not him

But I don't even look at how much fuel costs

All I know is that my Volvo gets like 12-13 litres/100km

What it costs is just what it costs, I like my car so it's not going to change

>$2 a liter for gas

fuck you guys have it rough, where I live it's $2.15 a gallon

You poor soul, having to buy by the gallon.

it's the superior unit

Is it a unit of measurement, though?

>in Europe only small cheap cars are MT and even that is changing
Nope. In the UK 80% of new cars sold were manual and even less of the used market is auto. Given a choice, 95% of UK drivers choose manual.

it's a big unit

You hand egg autist.

Do u even know what rugby is? Fucking pussy

What did you drive in during your test?

Depends.
Automatics are great if you get a high quality one. Or if you spend lots of time in traffic. Or if you like to be relaxed when driving. Or if u want to do anything else like drink a coffee or eat a sammich or finger ur GF.

Manuals are great if you are getting a shit civic or a super sports car. They are also great if you are buying a beat up shit box, as automatics get wonky after 300-400k km (the cheap ones do at least).

The reason O likes manuals is cuz most of these fags are poor civic and Miata fags. Manuals are cheaper.

>actually you almost don't change gears while driving on a highway.
Everyone has always said this to me but it's a lie. I shift a lot on the highway because the flow of traffic frequently changes when you start approaching the busier exits and on ramps, especially during rush hour. You actually shift less in the city. Maybe that's only true for my area though...

This.

More reason for me to move, sucks im black tho

>Everyone has always said this to me but it's a lie.

ehm that may be true if you have a car with very tiny engine, so tiny so you have to constantly change gears to be into power band / peak torque zone.

I was on the motorway for about half an hour today in a 1.2 Fiesta, downshifted once to get past a lorry and that was it.

I drive a civic and I frequently downshift. The traffic on my route to work is such that I frequently encounter long stretches of congestion. I could be cruising in fifth at 100 kmh one minute and then suddenly traffic comes to a hault and I shift down to fourth, third, or second. It also seems like the car doesn't accelerate for shit in fifth gear when you get below 80 kmh.

Listen buster if you drive in any kind of stop and go traffic on your way to work, then you will wish you had an automatic.