So I'm about to move to Guam for 3 years, and I'll be coming back to the states in 2020. So with import laws in mind...

So I'm about to move to Guam for 3 years, and I'll be coming back to the states in 2020. So with import laws in mind, if I were to take a week in Japan to find a car, the latest year model I would be able take back to America correct? Cause I'm interested in getting an S14, I would like the s15 but that's a 1996 and up car, same with the s14 kouki. Just trying to understand so I can get a plan together for the future

2020 minus 25 years is 1995, so that narrows down your choices pretty well. Which is good because in most states, OBD1 cars have looser emissions standards.

So an S14 is an definite option then

See if you can find a NAVAN s14 op, it's the only s14 worth getting that you could actually get. Or you could get a nice built up normal Zenki and get the kouki front end, I hear they're still in abundance over there.

Is Navan just a body kit, what's the difference between a zenki and a normal one, sorry if that's a stupid question I'm still learning

Don't know about navan but Zenki S14 is the pre face lift (pic related) and Kuoki is the face lift

but what if he likes zenki front end
I know I do

Ah ok, well I can say with confidence I prefer the kouki facelift

Are you military? If so then you only have to worry about shipping it from Japan to Guam then right?

Get an R30 or R31 RS Turbo and make an assload of cash when you move back

Or a Leopard

Basically anything that is cool and you can't find in the US

I'm military yes, but I do want to take it to the states after my 3 years. I was asking about us import laws since I wasn't sure if there different between Japan and Guam vs Japan to the US. Though if it's easier to send to Guam when I first get there I can consider that

Well you gotta consider, will the military pay for the shipment of your car if its in a country you aren't even stationed in? If not then get it shipped to guam while you're still there cuz it would be way cheaper to guam then shipped to the US

Alright then, with that in mind does Guam have the same import laws as the US since it's a territory? Do I need to keep in mind the 25 year limit when bringing the car from Japan to Guam?

ummmm no idea on Guam's laws. If you want the newest s14 you can get then ask your Sgt or officer or whatever about shipping minimums. They might have some bullshit like you need to own the car for X amount of time or else they won't ship it for you. If they don't then just get it that last year you're going to be there so you have the newest one you can legally have.

Honestly if you see SCBro in a thread in the near future you should talk to him since he was deployed in Japan and brought home his R32.

True, I'll keep that in mind when I get there and try and find someone I can talk with that about.
Alright, I'll try and keep an eye for him, would you happen to know what threads he frequents?

Not too sure what threads he hangs in, but if you see a thread about skylines, japan, or "post your keys" he sometimes will post.

Hardest part would be to get all the paperwork done, the import fees, passing the safety checks, and praying they dont fuck up your car. If your in the military it will be a pain. It sucks donky dicks.

I could imagine, I've never imported a car before so I figured I should start looking up on what to do so I have a plan before hand and hopefully avoid to many problems like if I went in blind

Alright, I'll browse the catalog here and there and see if I can catch him

Besides marine drive all the other roads suck and locals are shitty n poor and might fuck with ur car so keep it safe. Enjoy ur fat island mexicans.