Why is the V10 so underappreciated and underutilized?

Why is the V10 so underappreciated and underutilized?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tdXhvTwUa8U
m.youtube.com/watch?v=3b0W7Gitr6M
dailymotion.com/video/x5sn7u_top-gear-porsche-carrera-gt-review_news
edmunds.com/nissan/gt-r/2009/long-term-road-test/maintenance.html
youtu.be/hlsg4HSe-Ic
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the s85 will be mine. soon.

Muh harmonic balance

If the LFA was half-priced to 200k, it would have done so well. It's a hell of a lot better than the Gallardo or 458 were.

Let's be honest, this should have been the "new" Supra...

v10 is literally twice as cuck as i5

Because Ford ruined the idea of a V10 with the triton.

please kill yourself

>hes this assmad
the only good v10s are in the snek and any audi v10

6:52

>Carrera GT and LFA V10's are somehow bad

Please post a car that sounds better, thanks

>the fastest era of F1 was the V10 era

aren't they selling it at a loss in spite of the ridiculous price?

please cuck yourself before killing yourself

youtube.com/watch?v=tdXhvTwUa8U

Do not reply to namefags.

>I mentally damaged this poor boy

hly shit this is even better than baiting prez/o/

>violating GR3 and GR9
>being a nigger
I'd hate to be you.

>assmad at memes
>judging people based on their skin color

the feeling is mutual, the good part is that I hurt yours

I am white hispanic btw, can provide a timestamp if you like

Only worthy if it has over 8 liters of displacement.

>he's hispanic
Now I'd really hate to be you. Stop shitposting and stop posting worst girl. faggot.

because the v8 and v12 are about
its like having a v6 over a L4 or v8

it worries me that you think such comment is worth of a reply, american

>american
Nope. Truth be told I just really hate you and everything you're doing to make this board worse.

Leling at one of the worst trisp since Prez/o/

>not american
>as much of a bigmouth as one

now I don't know how much your mommy told you you were special for you to end this way, but youn aren't, you must have the 'tism

>I'm worse than Prez/o/

You are going to make him sperg lol

What makes you so special that you think you can just go around shitting up this board with no recourse? Do you derive pleasure from this? Perhaps this was some parenting issue(s) that left you as such an attention needing jackass. Did mommy not kiss you before bed or something? Who knows? Perhaps you have the 'tism.

>"You go to an internet site well know for its trolling content to have fun, you autist!"

yes I am sure I am the one with autism

I come to Veeky Forums for automotive discussion with a side of shitposting. Not faggots like you who live to derail every thread on this goddam board.
If you want to only shitpost go fuck around on [s4s], but stop being the cancer that is killing Veeky Forums.

>I get to decide who can shitpost and who can't!!

mommas boy

>he can't help but shitpost
What compels you to do this? This isn't a site where internet points are given out. Perhaps you're driven by some autistic need to have everyone hate you. I just wish you'd stop being such an absolute faggot.

Slower than a 7-seater family sedan

Who cares? They already sold all of them.

>Why is the V10 so underappreciated and underutilized?
Because it doesn't do anything a V8 can't and a V12 trumps it in multi-cylinder bragging rights.

Turbochargers

Half of all runway/highway pull cars are V10 lambos. They're overutilized if anything

but these?

nice audi dude

Every V10 sounds better than every other V8 or V12.

The LC500 should have been the new Supra, I don't know why we're getting a fucking badge engineered Z5 coupe when Toyota has a perfectly good 2+2 chassis available in house.

Because the supra is supposed to be a sportscar and not a pigfat GT with a decade old engine

I really don't like the way V10 sounds. The only ones that sound good are the ones that rev so high that any engine with more than 4 cylinders would have sounded good.

>If thing was cheaper it would sell more!

No shit. You gotta find the right balance.

>the fastest era of F1 was the V10 era
Not any more. The current cars have already broken lap records and will continue to do so all year.

Thanks for your shitty opinion.

I own one.

Pretty reliable and cheap until something goes wrong

post a 6, 8, or 12 cylinder engine that revs near 9k and sounds bad

go ahead I'm manually refreshing this thread every 10 seconds until you do.

>pigfat with a decade old engine

Sign me up.

E 6 0 M 5
M

Your opinion is shit m8.

Post one that sounds better than the LFA.

Chanu auto refreshes so I wil see your reply.

Im too fucking drunk for this
meant for not

hope to get it around the end of the year when my reenlistment bonus gets here

>>the fastest era of F1 was the V10 era
That's mostly because it was before they introduced the modern cost-cutting measures specifically the one limiting the amount of engines allowed per season. Teams would go through three engines for each car in a single GP weekend with the qualifying trim being the fastest, but having the least long-term reliability.

Also there was no rev limit for the V10 cars with some engines going over 19,000rpm.

Reminder there's literally no street car with a better sound than the Carrera GT.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3b0W7Gitr6M

Heavy, more reciprocating mass without much benefit, physically large so it's hard to fit them in cars without specifically designing them with a v10 in mind ($$$ and probably low volume sales anyway), low demand, you can just make muh veeate bigger, etc

Because the V8 and turbo engines have progressed to such a high degree.
The only benefit to more cylinders is higher overall speed. Kind of hard to make that argument when the V8TT from the Hennessy Venom GT can hit 270mph and tire technology hasn't caught up to the W16QT in the Veyron.
>this should have been the "new" Supra...
>nothing like the previous supras and far more expensive
no

Friend has one and i never went wow
Bmw never did good stock exhausts, maybe thats whats holding it back for me but stock is original sound.

They are pretty muffled stock. The engine is F1 derived so once the mufflers are out or you have a better system its the best sounding car in the world.

Double posting here but low mileage specimens are your friend. The biggest achilles heel of the car is the SMG transmission. That will drain your wallet once something happens to it.

I bought mine with around 100k kiliometers on it which is about 62k miles. No major issues yet. I plan to sell it soon and buy a wagon version of it.

Because lazy engineers only know how to make 4, 6, and 8 cylinder engines. All v12s ever are only two 6s fused together. Same with 16s. Fused 8s.

Big V8s sound the best anyway. More cylinders only make an inferior product.
Too high pitched.

You might be to young to remember supras but they have been GT since they got their own name plate. Not only that they have used ancient engine designs. As the most recent 2jz was a evolution of the 1jz which in turn is a improved 7m and the M started production in the 60s.

>too high pitched

you're on drugs

dailymotion.com/video/x5sn7u_top-gear-porsche-carrera-gt-review_news

5:30 is the best example of the sound. Unfortunately they cut it out in the Youtube video for some reason.

A friend has one with 104k km. Just recently, a VANOS code and cyl 1 misfire popped up and now the car has a check engine light, runs with reduced power and makes an ugly clacking sound. Probably the internal pressure hose for the VANOS but I'll have to look at it again.

My point is, these cars and the engines in particular have a great many things to go wrong and all of them are super expensive to fix. 4 VANOS solenoids on the motor at $1200 each. A VANOS pump at $2k+. Jesus, even the fucking VANOS hoses cost $150 and $280 a piece, and they STILL break!

Then there's the rod bearing issue (wouldn't be a BMW if that wasn't a thing). A full set of rod bearings costs $750 and they wear out pretty reliably after 100-150k km.

Honestly if I were you, I'd sell the thing now and get something with similar power but less potential for fucking your bank account's shit up. My friend's car was running perfectly (apart from an airbag code) until the VANOS thing popped up, so it's not like it'll warn you before it shits the bed.

it makes me smile when i see people get upset over how expensive it is to maintain a performance engine. they don't even realize that this is a racing engine that was amended and detuned for street use.

not to mention we always hear the 'oh this car was so unreliable because x and y and z parts failed' when we never hear about how it was driven or maintained. if you're beating on something high strung for 100k km then expect shit to start going wrong.

The car in question was maintained meticulously. Oil changes every 5000 km. Was it beat on? Yeah I guess, judging from how he drove the car when I was there. Then again, it is a sportscar and those 500hp shouldn't just go to waste if you ask me. Also, I don't see how beating on the car would influence the VANOS system's integrity.
What I don't understand is your reaction of looking down on people who don't like unreliable engines with expensive-to-fix design flaws. The rod bearings on the S85 are a design flaw. The shitty VANOS pressure hoses are a design flaw. VANOS solenoids costing $1200 a pop is just plain ridiculous seeing as they used to go for $300 or so. I do not see how the V10's performance and pedigree justify those things.
I feel like you have a bit of a superiority complex going on, looking down on "common folk" who can't comprehend that this sort of bullshit is (according to you) inherent in a performance engine's nature (which is very much disputable). You sound like someone who would say "you have to pay to play :^)" to justify the abhorrent expenses incurred by their unreliable sports car.

Don't get me wrong, the engineering of it all is wonderful - just very much flawed, to a degree that I wouldn't want to put up with the constant anxiety of "what if the VANOS demon strikes today?".

High performance high revving engines don't have to be expensive to repair. Just look at Honda engines(back when they were still good). 110+ HP/L, reliable, cheap to maintain and repair.
Germans just over engineer shit and never think about the reliability issues.

>racing engine for da road by GERMAN STRONK
shit tons of expensive shit to break reasonably good hp

>tractor engine made by merricans
Cheap parts , reliable as fuck loads a hp

really makes ya think

We need more flat 8 and 12 engines instead, hopefully based on superbike engines

>too high pitched

What are you, a faggot?

i'm still smiling. it reminds me of the days when the first owners were reporting costs for their GTRs and they couldn't believe how expensive it was to keep up a world-class sports car.

If you think an LS or Ford modular even remotely compares to the power delivery of an oversquare v10 you are on crack.

It's not all about peak HP figures.

ahh good old warranty void maymays

those were the days

>turn on the car
>warranty void

also here's an article from edmunds
edmunds.com/nissan/gt-r/2009/long-term-road-test/maintenance.html

>$283 oil change
>$2700 on tires over 27,000 miles

also news of $8000 brake jobs, etc.

any sort of performance car will be expensive to keep up.

>the engineering of it all is wonderful - just very much flawed, to a degree that I wouldn't want to put up with the constant anxiety of "what if the VANOS demon strikes today?"
This is exactly how I feel about that infamous Audi V8 with the timing components at the back.
Funnily enough the high-rev version of the same engine (found in the RS models) doesn't suffer from the same problems since it uses slightly different components.

The V10 sounded awesome but the color was definitely boring and the guy only took it on the track twice. Not thoroughly impressed.

Was this designed by a 10 year old?

Does it consume fuel even when the engine is off?

>v12 diesel
Y tho?

because v8 is better the end

Do you both happen to be 80 year olds?

The back is too try hard. The plastic/CF looks cheap and an after-thought

the LFA is my least favorite halo car of all time.

>>the fastest era of F1 was the V10 era
>citation needed

There is no citation needed for that because literally everybody (except you, apparently) knows it

V8 cucks are so deluded, they want their engine to sound like a man shouting into their ear, they dont want to hear the singing of a woman.

Hating the LFA is the definition of "try-hard."

youtu.be/hlsg4HSe-Ic

>Too high pitched
Way to out yourself as a fat nigger american, faggot