BMW's M division might sell autos only, BMW's Marketing Dept. confirmed retards

>drive.com.au/motor-news/bmw-mdivision-dualclutch-gearbox-dead-on-water-20170418-gvndyw.html

M's vice-president of sales and marketing, Peter Quintus, says:

>about 450 horsepower (335kW) and 600Nm was more or less the limit of manual-gearbox durability.

Which is interesting considering the "outdated" gearboxes have been coping with more than that for years now.

Other urls found in this thread:

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a29789/aston-martin-future-vantage-manual/
carsales.com.au/private/details/Audi-80-1995/SSE-AD-4661114/?Cr=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Only rural and suburban retards buy manuals, city people all drive auto

>They fell for the German Jew
Oy vey Goyim, manual is not allowed on our 40,000 dollar 2 door vehicle. You must get the Auto for 42,000 dollars to cope with our massive horsepower. NO DONT LOOK AT DODGE REEEEE

NORMIES WIN AGAIN

>Which is interesting considering the "outdated" gearboxes have been coping with more than that for years now
sure manuals can hold more power. but can they hold the power for a car that is being daily driven for hundreds of thousands miles?

>Performance arm of a German company switches to better performing transmissions

>people get butthurt because "muh driving feels"

>Lexus F autos only
>Mercedes AMG autos only
>Audi S/RS autos only
have been for many years.
Not surprising BMW might abandon manuals sooner or later

>Which is interesting considering the "outdated" gearboxes have been coping with more than that for years now.

lmao

I wonder how stupid is Peter if he makes such bold claims.

Isn't pretty much every AMG auto nowadays too because 2muchpowa4manuel

Think physics, is there any reason you can't possibly build a gearbox with the same materials and manufacturing processes between manuals and autos? Especially when what they want to stay is the overcomplicated 10 speed gearboxes with even more points to fail? I mean look at the article, if this goes through even DCT is going the way of the dodo.
Remember this is marketing speaking, and that's the only reason they're considering it. They want the options that maximize profit margins on both sales AND maintenence. With a gearbox as complicated as this, a run of the mill third party repair shop won't be able to work on it, you must service it at BMW partners.

J U S T
U
S
T

First BMW starts selling FWD cars. Now they will start selling M cars with auto only? Where did it all go so wrong?

>They want the options that maximize profit margins on both sales AND maintenence. With a gearbox as complicated as this, a run of the mill third party repair shop won't be able to work on it, you must service it at BMW partners.

true

>Think physics, is there any reason you can't possibly build a gearbox with the same materials and manufacturing processes between manuals and autos?

Think about the actual differences between an automatic and a manual (specifically gears and coupling) and you'd know that you can't just translate advances of one technology to the other.

>Which is interesting considering the "outdated" gearboxes have been coping with more than that for years now.
Did you read the article you posted? The guy pretty much answers why they don't go with stronger manual transmissions.

thank god for aston martin: roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a29789/aston-martin-future-vantage-manual/
>"People who have gone to other brands and want a stick shift, but can't get buy a stick shift anymore come back, and we remind them that we have it."

>Did you read the article you posted? The guy pretty much answers why they don't go with stronger manual transmissions.
can you please give us lazy bitches a quick recap?

tl;dr
in order to be more appealing to americans, we'll put a retarded planetary transmission on cars that are supposed to be light.

there are no problems with modern dcts, this is just american pr bullshit

Last few lines of the article.
>"We found they were heavy and the shift quality was awful," he said.

ITT: people that could never shift as fast as a DCT complain about a DCT despite wanting to go fast in their car

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!
You beemer faggots!
HAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA.

oh look it's another autofag who doesn't understand why people buy manuals

Drag racers put far more HP into automatic transmissions. There is no limit on HP if either manual or auto gearbox is designed to take the load, but remember ALL automakers have to take cost into consideration and they are working in an industry where a few dollars per vehicle matters!

i have nothing wrong with auto's in the hands of normiefags.

Its SPORTS brands like BMW unable to make a decent manual or AUTO gearbox that isnt a unreliable pos and then pretends like the M monkier isnt totally sellout that REALLY fucking pisses me off.

t. 16 year old T56

Pure marketing bullshit imo. He's essentially saying an available option isn't an option because "we don't like it". Also what does he mean with poor shift quality? Shifting precision? Lever accuracy? Because that's not down to how strong the gearbox is. This is a 100% non-answer.
And my point still stands: we've been doing this effectively for years, why is it suddenly not good anymore?

Americans are the main market for high-end manual cars though. America buys more automatic economy cars and manual sports cars than Europe, while the European and Asian market for sports cars wants automatics almost exclusively.

this

if they where seriously gonna invest in manual they would look at Sequential Shifters

>about 450 horsepower (335kW) and 600Nm was more or less the limit of manual-gearbox durability.

sales and marketing guy pretending to have a fucking clue.

BMW uses GM (and ZF) transmissions you fucking retarded flyover

>Abloo bloo bloo manuals are going away

It's because of emissions requirements and automatics have gotten to the point that they're objectively better.

If you want a manual so bad, the used car market is full of them. Go by one and stop crying to Veeky Forums about it.

t. communter

i hate faggots like this who suck corporate cock about every stupid decision a company makes

>>about 450 horsepower (335kW) and 600Nm was more or less the limit of manual-gearbox durability.
What? There are tons of cars that are manual with way more power and torque

Say DCT when you mean DCT and not automatic you drooling apes. Idiots shouldn't be allowed to care about cars.

Read the article user, dct is going out as well

Lexus and Merc are more like muscle/GT while Audi is benchracers or cruising on the Autobahn.

>false strawmanning

I understand exactly why, dunce. Just know that about 80% of manual folks will take the DCT and keep it moving. How's about you unfuck yourself and do the same.

who cares, just get a m2 with a manual gearbox in some years when their prices drop and never buy a bmw again

>low reliability cars
>high depreciation cars
>literally no one ever is interested in acquiring an older BMW of any model for any reason
>pipes in fake engine noises
>has a shitty gearbox
>overweight and regularly beaten on paper and real life performance
>1% of market share in US reflects how much of a joke the (((brand))) is
>most buyers only buy for a badge and a keychain they can hang outside their JNCO jeans

Pic related, the average bmw kid

>every bmw is a base model 3 series
you prob drive a corolla lol

>just buy it bro

no

DCT is an automatic transmission the same way a CVT is an automatic transmission

>GM (and ZF)
LOL

You think that means quality?

Fucking retarded american

longer lasting than the fucking BMW

>BMW
>Lasting
hahahaha you're funny

Germany cant into cars

>manuals don't sell
>company stops selling manuals

Who would have thought?

>Germany cant into cars
t. someone who has not come into contact with an Audi 80

>posts a 20 year old car from the pre VAG days

HAHAHAHAH

Hello?

Just because BMW gives everyone a terrible name with their dog shit performance and reliability, does not mean bad cars are made there.

Hey man I'm just saying Germans really can (could) create a bulletproof car.
Don't know much about newer cars because am poor, but the truth is usually the opposite of what Veeky Forums tells, so I think they're still doing alright.

Based as fuck.

BMW is overrated shit anyways. I raced a mint red E46 last year at a stoplight and a 335xi getting on the highway a few months ago and buried that too. My STI only had a 93 octane tune at the time.

I was sitting in traffic next to an M4 and couldnt believe how quiet and shitty it sounded. People actually think these sound good? Holy fuck

vag has been absolute shit since the late 90's desu

i would totally a 80 tho

carsales.com.au/private/details/Audi-80-1995/SSE-AD-4661114/?Cr=1

i know just fuck all from 2002 onwards

But modern BMW, vag and audi are shite

There is no pre VAG audis you ret

I guess we will only see dual clutch performance vehicles now.
Feels bad man.

And this is why everyone hates city people.

>this was from a just a couple weeks ago
>now they've just outright included M cars in it too
LMAO

post 90's then

Everything from 00 onwards was haladex style dogshite

who gives a shit?

20xx bmw are shit anyway.

Thats fucking bullshit.

t. a 5'8 manlet absolute joke a cuck

The BMW kids are really pathetic. Half of them do not even know fake engine noises are sent into the cabin. Thats why 90% of their base buy their cars.

Not him but "fake engine noises"?

Well steptronic is still a thing so who gives a shit honestly

Even dct is getting the getting the axe.

Imitating a different engine through the speakers. Pic related, Renault, and a lot other brands, are doing it as well

BMW has such shitty engines that they have recorded engine sounds in MP3 format (not from their engines of course) and have it injected through the speakers passively as gas is injected to make it seem like you are buying a decent car.

>avarage merica spotted
lol wut.? germany practically build engines for other car brands.

Most people here don't know how autos and manuals actually work. And half the battle is finding a proper clutch set-up that will work for daily driving with +450hp.

FYI Veeky Forums, go look up the difference between a fluid coupling and a ceramic/metallic/organic clutch.

That guy looks classy as fuck, I bet he thrusts his penis into all kinds of girls.

BMW buys the transmissions from companies like ZF. Currently there are no manual boxes that can handle the power of their new cars AND shift smoothly. They had looked at US manufacturers who have been doing manual in US cars for years but apparently they weren't smooth enough for a luxury sports car and so BMW won't contract with them.

What is it about bmw that makes some people so assblasted? It might be worth getting one just to trigger autists

One of the major reasons I got a BMW actually, lmao

the m2 doesn't do this

Lenco. The only acceptable automatic

In a world where people go apeshit over a 0.1 seconds difference on a nurburgring lap, ditching the manuals is the only logical solution because the army of fanboys of all other manufacturers will just point and laugh at those few hundredths of a second it will lose for that type of transmission. It's just bad publicity, people don't give a shit about muh feels, they only care about 0-60 times and laptimes.

It could also be that they asked a bunch of gearbox manufacturers to give them better manuals, but they came up with solutions that were legit bad (clutch too heavy, ratios too much/too little spaced together, too much fuel consumption and shit like that) or were simply too expensive compared to the commercial deals they already have in place for other gearboxes.

Or maybe manuals didn't sell well and that's just PR talk so they don't have to admit they lost market because of an outdated tech that none of the direct competitors use anymore.

Are you referring to dogboxes? If yes, have you ever drove one on a car? Do you have an idea of how rough, noisy and generally uncomfortable they are to drive?
Remember we are talking about cars that are still supposed to be daily driven, dogboxes are absolutely retarded on anything that is not a track-only machine.

It isn't corporations mandating emissions standards, you retarded child.

Yes, the E39 M5, E46 M3, E60 M5, E9x M3 and 1M are all shit, right?

BMW never service the ZF box transmission fluid. Somehow the fluid is a fluid that defies the laws of physics and never breaks down.

Pretty epic if you ask me.

You know the new G30 5 series? BMW memed the fact that the new 450hp M550xi is """faster""" than the old M5 (560hp). Obviously they neglected to mention that this was purely from a standing start and with AWD-assisted launch, and only to 60mph, whereafter the F10 M5 will swiftly overtake and leave it in dust.

You know that the G30 M5 is going AWD only? Because according to a BMW markets- I mean engineer, the practical limit of RWD is 600hp before the diminishing returns turn negative for each increased hp.

Lmao. Modern BMW is a fucking joke.

Not trying to defend BMW in particular here, but a business has to make money. If they see they can sell more cars by saying it has a faster 0-60 or that it will be AWD, then I don't see what's so terrible about that.

Blame it on the people who buy the cars and set the trends, not on the manufacturers that try to please as many potential customers as they can.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, m8. Fuel to the fire. A runaway fission of clever marketing leading to motoring Chernobyl.

no but BMWs incompetent engineers are too stupid to make a manual transmission car pass emissions

Dear America,
Please stop fucking up the automotive industry.

Yours truly,
Za warudo.

>America
its the chinks though
theres a reason why BMW keeps going 'but the chinese market' every time like in , and theres a reason why the only FWD BMW's are in china currently

Me too m8

*high fives you*

The industry thinks that combustion engine cars are a sunset industry. They are already gearing up for the eventual take over by EV's and a good chunk of that market will go autonomous. So I can understand why BMW is headed in this direction.

With that said, I'd be buying up every last old manual transmission BMW or sports car I can get my hands on. Especially the fun stuff from the 80's, 90;s.

As much as I want to care, given that cars like the Viper and ZR1 make roughly 600lbs-ft of torque and hold together fine with a manual, I really don't give a shit about BMW M cars anymore.

The M2 is still pretty good at its price point, but other than that they are all just boring poser-mobiles. They are quite literally everything wrong with the way the automotive industry is headed. 500 modes for everything, shit sounding turbo engines that aren't actually more efficient in the real world, unnecessary weight and size increases, and so on.

People who are crying that they don't offer manuals anymore have kind of missed the point, if you're the kind of person who wants a manual in your car you probably aren't the kind of person who wants a modern M car anyway.

I bet this era will be as well liked as smog era 1976-1990

Sure, I'm positive BMW will get right on having their engineering department design better humans who can always select the most fuel efficient gear and have split second shift times that eliminate all that time revving and burning fuel between shifts.

Or maybe we should stop letting the muh warming crowd call all the shots.

>I may have lost the race but at least I drove a manual hurr durr

Kek they just don't want to

>I was sitting in traffic next to an M4 and couldnt believe how quiet and shitty it sounded
You smell underaged. Fuck off. Some want to live a civilized life and work white-collar jobs where showing up sweaty, unkempt, and spaced out are highly inappropriate.

For you and your japcrap riced out Paul Walker wannabe life, showing up to your shift at the local fastfood hole it's totally fine.

The rest of us are adults.