What is the appeal of trucks if you're not hauling stuff all the time...

What is the appeal of trucks if you're not hauling stuff all the time? I get that they're practical but you could probably do the same with most cars.

ME LICKE BIIIIG CAR!

truck bed is the only place I can fuck your fat mom

I grew up in the country/farm area so I tend to like large vehicles like trucks.

I mean there's a lot of anons with their cool 80's trucks in the show off your ride threads but I don't get what exactly is attractive about them. Even econoboxes have the appeal of MPG's

I have a car now but when I had a truck it was really nice when i had to move, or go camping. Besides that the older domestic trucks are easy as fuck to work on. you can crawl underneath without a jack or ramps, and dead simple mechanically to fix. Don't have to worry about snow in the winter and dirt roads in the summer.

They're really easy top wrench on and you can shoehorn just about anything under the hood.

Same, when you don't need them you don't really think about it but the second you need to haul something big or large you go "Fuck I wish I still had my truck."

yeah but you dont get that cool guy feeling with new trucks, because they are automatic. you dont get that satisfaction of getting a perfect rev match that old farm truck made you get or it would grind.

new trucks are for sissies

Yeah but how often do you move?

desu I want to get an old truck but I don't know why

This thread is my attempt to find out

apache era is so cool

but so are the task force ones

Being just another one of the hundred million truck guys in America sounds boring. I'd want to be the guy who does truck stuff with a car.

why aren't vans more popular in the us. Cheaper and carry more and keeps your stuff dry

1 or 2 times a year back then. Granted most of the time the bed was empty, but its nice to have when you need it.

Because vans are even more purpose built than trucks are. Plus the whole pedophile van stigma.
Euro vans suck btw. Give us back the econoline reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Because Detroit have neglected vans for decades. Chevrolet have been building the same Express van, only with a facelift, for the last 22 years, and it's still only available in two lengths with one roof height. Ford have built the last Econoline for 22 years before giving up and using Europe's Transit. Dodge have built the same basic van from 1971 to 2003 before folding and adopting the Mercedes Sprinter. Van buyers at some point must've thought that the American offerings are a bad joke.

>give us back a fuel thirsty, less roomy van with fewer body configurations

That's only because Ford couldn't be arsed to modernize the econoline.

Driving large vehicles with a high sitting position is fun - especially if they're still (comparatively) nimble yet comfy and AWD with lots of torque.

I got one because they are cheap and bullet proof offroad machines. Pic related, just finished lifting it last night.

What exactly would a modernized Econoline look like. It's a van, maybe aerodynamic upgrades but it's not like it's going fast or anything

What's the appeal of a "sports car" if you're not driving it on a track or at the limit all the time?

Same van just better options (high roof, extended wheel base, etc) and a modern powertrain. Kinda like GM.

Mostly stuff like Miata is still fun to drive on the road commuting and just getting from A to B.

Fun how?

Hnng that is so nice, that's exactly the truck I'm loooking for. How much/how long ago did you cop it?

You don't know shit about what your talking about senpai.

Some drive them and use them for what they are worth, having good need of what they can offer

Some drive trucks because they find them cool, but have absolutely no need of anything a truck offers and would be better suited to a Golf

I think a bit of the danger lies in the fact that for most folks, even those who barely uses the cargo space, towing capability or 4WD, its really hard to go back to something smaller/less capable. After driving this Toyota for close to a year now I can't imagine going back to something like my old C-class Mercedes

>tripfag
opinion disgarded.

trucks soak up bumps better than cars,
that's why poor people or people who have to traverse through shitty areas prefer them.

(Hint: A modern Econoline would look like a Transit because it's what makes sense and isn't an outdated piece of shit lacking options.)

I got it about 7 months ago but I'm only just now really getting to work on it because indiana winters. Some good old boy out in bumfuckcornfieldville sold it to me for $900. Found out the block was cracked after buying it so I threw a $200 junkyard small block 318 in there and it was good as new.

Now that it has a running motor and a lift my next job is to get some 35's I have laying around put on there. At some point I probably need to fabricobble a bumper too so I can mount a winch. It's a dream to work on, two grown men can fit in that engine bay and I don't need to jack it up to get under it. If you're thinking about getting one I definitely recommend it.

That is a beaut of a truck and I think I understand ... an always there for you capable of anything kinda thing. I dig it

yeah there's a red D150 that I will prob jump on. Good luck man, sweet ride.

The explore could be sold as a high roof, it could be sold as a chassis can, it could be sold as a minibus and a panel.

If it's a chassis can, you could make an econoline into anything. A flatbed, a full bus, a box truck, an anything.

It came with a 4.6l or 5.4l overhead cam V8, or a 6.8l V10, or a modern turbodiesel.

Literally what more do you want? There's a reason it remained relatively unchanged for so long, you wouldn't try to reinvent a spoon.

What is with the attitude that trucks are excessive or an extravagance. Guess what you will use all the seats in you car the same amount as you will use the bed of your truck. The real question is why own a car that is capable of going over the speed limit, its illegal. That's excessive.

I hope you get it man. Definitely the glory years for chrysler.

They are not as versatile.

Alright then. I see you misinterpreted my post. I dislike how they replaced the regular van with the Transit. They should have just updated the powertrain instead of importing a euro style van. The Transit just looks out of place in the North American market.

I agree. Still, all they had to do was take the f series motors and put it in the e series.

The Transit connect was a brilliant addition though, but killing the e series was a shame.

Rear seats don't add six to eight feet in length to my car and make it retardedly heavy and a bitch to park. Also rear seats can be folded over to create a larger cargo space.

Every body puts a big block in a camaro or a Chevelle why not put it in a truck
Also even if it is useless 90% of the time and you refuse to do truck things with it because it's to nice. But sand drags and truck pulls are still game

>Wheels from a die cast car
>ugly
>higher seating position than the old E-series somehow
>puny engines

>ugly
Buy a girlfriend if you want something that looks pretty.
>higher seating position than the old E-series somehow
This is a good thing, better visibility.
>puny engines
Which is something only people who haven't driven it yet say.

>What is the appeal of trucks if you're not hauling stuff all the time?

Pickups are now the new sedans, but bigger and fatter with increased trunk room to haul your luggage, aka the bed. Or your groceries from the local market..

I mean shit the F-150 in pic related is the prime example for that, rides like a car, has a short bed that won't be able to haul much shit in it. It's literally a sedan in a truck's body. Same goes with all the other trucks.

I would totally go for a single cab pickup long bed when a fully loaded interior like the good old days again. but nope, that's only exclusive to four door crew cabs now.

>not having a DD that can tow your track car to the track

Why are you here?

>a bitch to park
Are you a faggot, or just a woman?

This.

The old Econolines have the engine of a truck crammed into the engine bay of a small car. Pain in the ass to work on.

Pretty much, I enjoy DD'ing my old 3/4 ton even with all it's faults, and tow with it on nearly a weekly basis. Just dragged home a fresh SHitbOx yesterday.

My truck is lighter than most cars.