Why do people hate Julius Caesar? He was literally one of the greatest leaders to ever live...

Why do people hate Julius Caesar? He was literally one of the greatest leaders to ever live. If he had succeeded: the world never would have suffered the jew, had tons of dosh, eliminated the lower class, Islam would be fucking eradicated as well as any other heathen faith, and we'd be way more technologically advanced than we are now.

The fall of the Roman Empire and destruction of the library of Alexandria literally ruined everything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gsK4nX0tCGQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

inb4 "H-he was a dictatior"

That's a pic of Octavian, Caesar's successor.

But Gaius Julius Caesar is a pretty good "great man theory" person. I personally find his achievements more impressive than Augustus's.

His tendency to forgive his opponents (which probably got him killed) makes him a rather unique historical figure.

The only achievements Caesar has over Octavian is being a superior and vastly more skilled general then his nephew. But Octavian dwarfs him as a politician, administrator, and statesman. And Octavian/Augustus had Agrippa, who was basically on the same level as Caesar, Marius, and Sulla or Pompey as a general.

You're just assuming things their

Painfully obvious bait
I still dont understand if people on /int/ are more naive or just don't care about baits being baits

It's ironic, because Julius Caesar accidentally burnt down the Library of Alexandria when he was besieged and set fire to his own ships.

I like Caeser, I really do, but he was really not the god everyone makes him out to be. Many of his reforms and ideas ultimately contributed to the downfall of the Roman Empire such as his overemphasis on a standing military.

That said, he did once get capture as pirates as a youth and tell them "If you don't kill me, someday I will return and kill all of you".

Naturally, he did. Also, the practice of naming an heir was the reason the Roman Empire DID last for another 300 years.

What got Caesar killed wasn't him forgiving his enemies and letting them live, it was his political rivals and opponents uniting against him and assassinating him at the nadir of his popularity. Octavian and other Romans after Caesar believed that one of the reasons Caesar was killed was because he didn't approve of things like the circus or gladiator combat and would read from the news and hold himself aloof.

Really, what killed him was his own ego. Also I disagree, Caesar doesn't really overshadow Augustus. Augustus was smart enough to know he could never compare to his uncle or his best friend, Agrippa, as a military leader. Hell Sextus Pompey absolutely ass-raped his army and navy several times and gave Agrippa problems and he also suffered against Brutus in Greece.

You can consider them equal but personally I'd rank Augustus above Caesar marginally; he ended the civil wars and the corruption of the stagnating and corrupt Republic, he brought prosperity and peace to his empire, and he ensured a nearly two century long golden age that would send Rome to its heights of power.

>Islam would be fucking eradicated
Islam wouldn't be founded for another 654 years by Mohammad/Muhammad. Unless you think he would've had the prescient knowledge and the willingness as well as the logistical capacity and funds to fight the Parthians and then immediately make war on the Arabs all over the Levant and in Arabia to the point of genocide, that is highly unlikely.

What I find so impressive about Caesar is that he was his own man. Started from the bottom and pulled himself to the top, outmaneuvering all the big boys like Pompey as well as the entire Senate.

Octavian, on the other hand, only became relevant after Caesar named him his heir. I won't deny that he achieved great things, but none of it would have been possible had his last name not been Caesar.

His uncle also had gigantic balls. Alesia, his entrance into Britain and Germania, crossing the Rubicon, invasion of Egypt, crossing through the Adriatic without a Navy (mad man wanted to do it twice) and facing Pompey in hostile territory while being outnumbered, etc.

Dude was the definition of unpredictable.

>None of it would have been possible had his last name not been Caesar.
You can say the exact same thing about Caesar given his uncle was mother fucking Marius.

Octavian literally called himself "Gaius Julius Caesar". You can't get anymore blatant than that.

The only thing that uncle Marius gave Caesar was a spot on Sulla's proscription list. He rarely used Marius' name as a crutch, unlike Octav-uh, I mean "Gaius Julius Caesar".

The situations are not comparable.

Shamelessly plugging this guy's channel. He makes information dense, quality videos. You might like it.

youtube.com/watch?v=gsK4nX0tCGQ

any real hate for Caesar isn't really related to his military career or leadership, but where he was at such a pivotal time for Rome.

there have been other Roman politicians who were in very similar situations, but Caesar's situation was the one that finally led to the collapse of the republic and the civil war the founded the empire.

The exact same formula surrounding Caesar was also present 100 years prior with Tiberius Gracchus, a high roman politician murdered for having immense popular support and threatening the status quo.

Whether Caesar was a great leader isn't in question, but whether the Republic could've survived because of both his decisions and that of the Senators is the main point of debate surrounding him.

the rest of your substance is just bait m8.

Gracchus wasn't one of the most wealthy men in Rome who had veteran legions loyal to him with an ambitious heir and a popular second in command to destroy what his assassins set out to accomplish

Why is he wearing trousers?

Thank you
I'm not OP but still subsCribed

And so? Caesar literally got a bolster to being both a member of the Julia Clan as well as the direct connection with his uncle Marius, which had him under the scrutiny of Sulla and warranted an original marking onto his proscription list.

>He rarely used Marius' name as a crutch
Except he did use it. He also extensively made use of his connection and family's standing as one of the most famous of Rome's founding families repeatedly to help bolster his political standing and popularity with both the plebians and the Roman Legions.

Octavian was already foster adopted by his uncle when he was assassinated. Try again, silly.

Also to add, his main support politically speaking at the start of his military and senatorial career was from the same faction of senators who were diehard Marius followers.

>no aid from Marius power base for Caesar
This is a joke. From the age of 19, he was setting up connections, meetings, and coordinating with the Marius faction to gain his standing so lol. Caesar had help.

I mean he literally was a dictator.

>all these Caesarians
>mfw

Look at the fucking state of you, Veeky Forums

M-muh Republic!

Sulla was also his uncle by marrige just like Marius.

Anyone here who have read; The Assassination of Julius Caesar A People’s History of Ancient Rome ?

It seems like a fairly good book on the subject of why he was assassinated