Everyone here needs to understand the terrifying power potential of electric motors

Everyone here needs to understand the terrifying power potential of electric motors.

>yes, V8 sound incredible, V10s and V12s even moreso.
>yes, there's a an indescribable positive sensation of mastering a collection of explosions thrusting you forward
>yes, currently electric cars are pretty mediocre under 40 grand.
>yes, currently higher range in that price range is only held by the chevy bolt and even then, 240 miles of range isn't that great
>yes, charging infrastructure is slim to middling, especially level 3 charging which is the 30 minute charging stuff.
>yes, hardcore tesla fags are FUCKING ANNOYING AS FUCK and should be ignored. like seriously fuck those cunts that worship elon as technojesus; "hurr durr he's like tony stark hurr" fuck off.

but fuck me, once batteries get better we are going to SEE some SHIT
the zombie 222 only has 50 miles of range but it gets to 60 in 1.8 seconds (which is mind numbing, the million dollar 918 does it in 2.4) and has a current top speed of 170, nothing to sneeze at.
and it STILL has more power potential from the two motors.
youtu.be/cjQtrysPzVI?t=157
youtube.com/watch?v=ZAwIsKC7ROQ

the future is muscle like you never thought possible and tire smoke like it's nothing and I'm alright with this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WDu9HpPD8VY
youtube.com/watch?v=eTU1vt0eFaM
electricmotorsport.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

also in those videos the 0-60 time is 2.4 seconds but that was a while ago, the car's still being dialed in and tweaked and keeps getting faster because of it.
imagine if this bitch was awd with racing slicks, yikes

>pony car
I did a few equations calculating the efficiency of modern electric motors the other day on a similar thread. Right now there is a long way to go before electric takes over. But it will happen.

in terms of most normies, "enough" range is like 200+ miles, and tesla has big brand recognition.
once they make that mini crossover based on the model 3 i'm pretty sure the S curve will hit vertical and errybody will make competitors to that.

Whats mods can I install on an electric motor?

Ok but what's the range?

A hybrid is fine. Full electric is retarded because we still have laptop batteries to power them but I like to be able to just fill up and go. Not wait an hour for my car to charge.

level 3 charging is 30 minutes for 80% and things are improving on that front over time, there's plans for level 4 which cuts that down to ten minutes.
but this is also a battery chemistry limitation which will improve over time.
but you aren't going to be road tripping often, and stopping for half an hour every 192 miles isn't unreasonable

Not much. The actual power in a electric car comes from the battery pack. The motor just converts energy. The pack does all the work so that's what you'd upgrade first, Then move onto the controller. Just like RC shit but life size.

Im somewhat ok with electric motors, but my problem is battery life. All batteries wear down and dont last as long after a year or so of use.. id hate to have to replace thousands of $ in batteries every 2 years.

This has been proven wrong already.

the nissan leaf has been getting horrible battery degradation
the model S has actually been doing super well although the only objective measurement for that so far as been owners reporting their maximum range after X charge cycles. as of now it looks like you lose 6% within a year but it levels to almost flat for the next 4. Whether or not that will continue is anyone's guess, but it's looking likely. the S does various things to keep the batteries healthy, the leaf just rapes them

>Proven wrong
You'd better go tell that to panasonic, samsung, hitatchi, and all the other giant companies that make batteries. They seem to have missed this.

there are a handful of hurdles that electric cars have to overcome still, especially for car enthusiasts

>batteries are super heavy
>high performance driving runs batteries down really fast
>batteries and motors lose performance as the get hot
>batteries out put drops as they begin to run low where as gas runs hard until dry
>electric motor horsepower curve is somewhat opposite of a cars with high power initially and then dropping off
>recharging is still not fast enough or wide spread enough for aggressive driving
>current battery tech isn't very good with batteries that WILL need replacing or will eventually not hold much of a charge (just like an old cellphone that constantly needs charging)
>they're not even environmentally friendly
that being said I like a lot of aspects about electric cars, they're just not there yet

Trust me.

in most cases batteries get abused horribly with little heat management and even less charge management. You can circumvent most of that with some engineering at larger scales which is what tesla's doing with their packs.
long term impact on battery life after using mostly superchargers is still kind of up in the air though, not much data.

>stopping for half an hour every 192 miles isn't unreasonable
Yes it is. What are you, retired?

You get it, OP, especially this part:
>>yes, there's a an indescribable positive sensation of mastering a collection of explosions thrusting you forward

I hope it works out as you say.

The biggest problem is that batteries are going to hit a cap. We have been using/upgrading batteries for a LONG time, and there is diminishing returns out the ass. Not to mention, batteries are as bad for the environment if not worse than oil.

>stopping for half an hour every 192 miles isn't unreasonable
LOL that is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Sitting in a parking lot for 30 minutes every 2-3 hours... Go try that next week. Just sit in a parking lot for half an hour every 2-3 hours.

What.

I travel from Detroit to Chatham every Friday after work. It's almost a 7 hour ride and I only stop once for gas in Grayling or Gaylord, depending on the day.

No way would I want to literally spend an hour just twiddling my thumbs to make it to my destination.

>shit/piss
>get a snack
>shitpost
it's inconvenient yeah but it's not like you sit and are unable to do anything else for that half our

that's a pretty unique situation, so yeah avoiding EVs for a while in that case is good

there's a dozen very promising battery technologies waiting in the wings to replace LiPo, whether or not they actually pan out is anyone's guess but to discount some new chemistry coming along is silly

>electric motor horsepower curve is somewhat opposite of a cars with high power initially and then dropping off

You are thinking of torque.
A 200kw squirrel cage induction motor has an output power of 200kw, and so makes 200kw all throughout its rev range. Because power is relative to torque and RPM, the torque is high low down in the rev range.

While this is not perfectly true as other factors like heat effect output power, given the right gearing a tesla will still keep pulling on a lower horsepower car well above the fabled 100mph where teslas always seem to loose puff

Or you could run even a 2 speed over/underdrive and get better efficiency over all speeds. Of course Musk kiked out and used Chinese transmissions that "can't take the torque"

I could just buy a ICE and not do it. Also.... Why do you shit and piss every 2-3 hours?

It's being discounted because it's been bandied about for decades. This "new" tech isn't new. It's just all talk. Not to mention, charge time (unless sub 10 minutes) will always be the issue. There are better solutions than battery.

this is what is actually in electric cars right now, check out the dyno graphs at 12:40
youtu.be/WDu9HpPD8VY

Electric motors put out obscene amounts of torque. You'd need transmissions from diesel pickups if you wanted to have any longevity.

I don't know why more people aren't concerned with the emissions first and foremost. People from China have terrible life expectancy and recurring respiratory illnesses from car and power plant emissions. That alone should scare us into electric cars and solar power generation... I like being healthy

do you know how bad it is for the environment to make batteries?

It's bad

worse than burning gas

I've been wanting to make a dual 9" DC motor firebird since the v6 autos in my area are so cheap now. Wondering if the rear end can take the torque though.

fucking warp motors are so expensive though, for the price of 2 9"ers I could get a badass crate motor.

To be cost effective I'd have to find old electric forklifts and salvage the motors from those, but I doubt I'd be able to find two identical 9" motors which would be suitable for EV

Range is pretty much killed by weight of the batteries rn, but if you want something fast af just live with short battery life, all I want to do is burnouts and mad electric drifts for like 30 minutes at a time anyway.

DC forklift motors do, Little AC motors like in the Tesla, Not so much. The torque comes from the gear reduction. An off the shelf gear vendor unit easily handles the torque from a twin series setup like this.

powerglides are commonly used, and they're used a lot in drag racing too

Because batteries cause the same problems in mining, tard. Hydrogen or algae based oil is the short term future. Batteries are a fucking meme.

China's air sucks because of manufacturing the world's dangerous shit like electronics and batteries and no environmental standards keeping the endless factories from belching all their exhaust into the air. Not from their shitty cars nobody can afford anyway.

or hydrogen gas derived from solar/ nuclear

This thing is running 4 motors and 8000 amps through a transmission. 0-60 in a second and it handles it fine.

solar requires too much land. Water power is better.

ηww Efficiency=η C/D* η Generator* η Grid* η Processing* η Recovery

Battery
ηC/D
ηGenerator
ηGrid
η Processing
η Recovery
η ww
Li-ion
25%
Pb-Acid
0.50 - 0.91
14-26%
NiMH
19%

Recovery I based of of the tesla roadster

How big of a deal is cooling with electrics compared to ICEs? Thinking you might be able to reduce the frontal area of eg pic related for better aero--otoh I remember something about Teslas overheating on hot laps so IDK.

all your info is wrong

Plenty of 8 year old Roadsters out there with almost no year to year degradation. You can't compare properly engineered EV packs to your cell phone battery, your phone doesn't have a BMS keeping every cell at the exact same charge, monitoring any voltage or draw delta, and cooling/heating as needed 24/7

>high performance driving runs batteries down really fast
Not really, it's actually quite a bit less energy use/energy capacity ratio than a gasoline powered car, heat soak is the issue

nonsense
>current battery tech isn't very good with batteries that WILL need replacing or will eventually not hold much of a charge (just like an old cellphone that constantly needs charging)
already covered

>The torque comes from the gear reduction
Sure, that's when you dyno a car at the wheels it makes 3x as much power than is measured at the flywheel... The torque measurement is the output of the motor, just like with every other electric motor and gasoline engine.
>Little AC motors like in the Tesla
I can tell you've never seen a Tesla drive unit or a forklift motor

The most drag inducing part of the motorcycle is not the radiator, but the rider

overheating it a little misleading, it's not like the motors get super hot or anything, it's just the batteries go a little above their programmed temperature limit and the software steps in the reduce energy drain on them so they don't heat up any more
if there was really powerful active cooling in the batteries they'd probably drain all the way to empty no sweat

fuck electric cars, hydrogen powered cars are the future

accept the truth

Damn, you're probably right. I just want bikes to get faster too.

Interdasting, so even a small radiator could make electrics work a lot better?

Also, how much potential is there for electrics in commercial trucking? I'm thinking maybe the fuel network there is a little more centralized and trucks are probably disproportionate emitters, but IDK. Maybe a hybrid engine for range.

I feel like everybody who sings the praise of electric cars are like Nakazato and don't understand that everything has strengths and weaknesses. Primary for electric cars being extremely limited energy if floored constantly, and they're really only fast in a straight line because their batteries are extremely heavy, making turning rather difficult compared to an ICE of a similar acceleration speed. The average electric car dweeb would get smoked by a Yugo on the nurburgring because they'd run out of juice because they wanna show off their sikk xlr8tion.

>Interdasting, so even a small radiator could make electrics work a lot better?
sort of, drawing heat away from batteries is tricky because you want your cells to be very compact so stuff tons of individual batteries in there but also have some spacing to let coolant lines through, and the batteries themselves arent very good conductors of heat so quickly and efficiently removing heat is....difficult

electric semi truck i don't see being feasible for a while, mostly because the simply huge number of batteries you need drives your price way up.

Electric motors are cool and all, but what happens when something goes wrong with it? Can I pop the hood and figure it out myself ? And if I find what's wrong, where can I get parts to fix it? The electric engines sound like one massive piece proprietary of hardware. At the rate car manufactures are going, electric cars are going to be made serviceable only at dealerships. The fact that cars are increasingly being made now without oil dipsticks is truly terrifying.

I've seen this thing run live (or at least a previous incarnation of it), and it is absolutely bizarre watching a silent burnout and quarter mile.

youtube.com/watch?v=eTU1vt0eFaM

>electric cars are going to be made serviceable only at dealerships

How is this any different to any other modern car?

>ICE - Hundreds of moving parts of all shapes and sizes, seeing stupid g-forces, at high temperatures and pressures.
>Motor - Single rotating magnetic shaft, bunch of non-moving copper coils arranged around it. No reciprocating parts, no high temps, no high pressures.

The only bit that's complicated on an EV is the control system, but it's still simpler than modern fuel injection and ignition.

Hydro has its own issues. You are upsetting g the environment by disturbing the natural flow of heat etc.

Replacing most tile roofs with solar would be a pretty big boost to renewable energy.

>rotary ICE - literally just over a dozen parts

S-shut up

Ever seen a queue for the bowser?

Will you be happy to wait half an hour for old mate in front of you to charge, then you get your half an hour? What about old mate behind you, are they keen to watch you and the people before you for an hour so they can have their half hour?

Ill take 180L of diesel in ten minutes or less for a long time yet.

I JUST WANT TO BUY RACING BATTERIES FROM PARTS CATALOGS LIKE THEY WERE REGULAR CRATE MOTORS

WHY IS THIS SO FUCKING COMPLICATED

electricmotorsport.com/

>no high temps
A HAHAHAHAHAHA FUCKING HELL I ONLY YOU KNEW

shirley it would be better to have swappable battery packs anyway

$4500 for 96 hp motor ...

>gaylord

No, it isn't

swappable is a nice idea but it's a herculean logistics task and way more of an infrastructure investment than just charging stations.
also once charging gets faster and faster it'll become more and more irrelevant

U c tho. That's not unique. I drive 3 hours minimum everyday. I like road trips too. Can I keep a spare 5 gallon of electricity in my trunk in case I run out before a station? Nope tow truck bill.

Seriously. I like cars because they have an internal combustion engine.

Power doesnt matter that much to me. But if I wanted electric engines, I'd buy an RC car. Seriously

can't wait till in the future when i can take a modern car, put a motor where the driveshaft lives, put one battery in the front and end up with a faster, more reliable car with better range and faster refueling.

Modern electric motors are extremely efficient, nearing 90% efficiency, the problem is energy density of batteries vs fossil fuels. Gasoline and diesel beat out batteries by orders of magnitude so it more than makes up for the fact that gasoline and diesel engine struggle to hit 40% thermal efficiency.

More like everyone needs to understand the limitation of batteries and how slowly their technology progresses.

Until the day comes where I can mod the fuck out of an electric car or engine, I'll never get one. What's the point of being a car enthusiasts when you can't mod your own car or even do simple maintenance?