I always see people on here not recommending dealers and financing used cars, but what if I have really good credit?

I always see people on here not recommending dealers and financing used cars, but what if I have really good credit?
I'm looking at a 2008 civic ex with ~60k miles for 8 grand.
I'll be piggy backing off my Dad's credit, for I should be around 2% APR.
Why shouldn't I just finance it over 5 years or something? It's low enough mileage that it'll last me through grad school easily (4 years) and it'll be like a 100 bucks a month.
Interest at around %2.5 on 8k is only 500 over the span of 5 years.

Keep in mind that I've been a bench racer and this is my first car.
Also I'll be taking this on 300 mile trips to and from grad school and home, would it survive? The service history seems good.

Help pls
>bayridgehonda.com/vehicle-details/2008-honda-civic-coupe-2dr-man-ex-brooklyn-ny-id-16855905

Other urls found in this thread:

newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6071478245.html
newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/6106791432.html
newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/6089273210.html
newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/6104586644.html
newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6091604461.html
newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/6111521971.html
forbes.com/sites/thecollegebubble/2014/08/15/overqualified-and-underemployed-the-job-market-waiting-for-graduates/#3d8422434f67
newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/6080030673.html
newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/6109265718.html
newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/6038513788.html
newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/6037684850.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>finanacing a 10 year old honda for 8k

wat the fug

Don't really have the cash to pay for it upfront

Keep in mind I'm 22 and I'm going to be signing 45k a year in loans for the next 4 years (pharm school). So yeah.

~100 bucks a month isn't a big burden on my parents, and I don't want them to pay anything more.
If they get me a car, they'll probably lease some auto nissan shitbox.
This is the only manual in my area, since they refuse to even consider craigslist.

To elaborate on this, I have 2k saved up from working (I paid for all my pre-pharm expenses, just applying to schools was $800) but I really just want to throw those in savings, because I know I'll need them after I graduate to at least start renting an apt/ any other emergency that might come up.

Also I really want a sportyish car in manual...

Oh, and is the 8th gen understeer as bad as people say it is?

everyone else on here is going to give you shit dude, but I'll give you my advice. If you want the car, go for it. It's a civic, not like it's going to be some money pit mistake. Way better choice than the shit I've bought when I was young. I once got a 13% loan on a 130k mile BMW when I was a teenager (had no credit at the time, parents wouldn't cosign). Probably the stupidest shit I ever did in my life. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with loans when the interest is low and you know the car will last the length of the loan. Also, yes, you pay more at a dealer, but they do a full detail of the car and have a mechanic inspect everything (unless it's a high mileage cash car, but obviously this isn't). They will replace tires, brakes, or suspension parts if needed, shit like that. So yeah you could get the same car for maybe 2k cheaper on craigslist but it might need 1k in work and it will likely be all dirty.

One tip though, you can probably get that car for 7k if you show up preapproved and tell the dealer you're ready to buy today but won't pay more than 7k. Tell them straight up that you'll walk out and go elsewhere if they won't take 7k.

>One tip though, you can probably get that car for 7k if you show up preapproved and tell the dealer you're ready to buy today but won't pay more than 7k. Tell them straight up that you'll walk out and go elsewhere if they won't take 7k.

Yeah I was planning on haggling of course.
Considering this is a manual in freaking brooklyn I'm pretty sure this is a hardish sell for them.

Most manual civics I can find are riced the fuck out and driven by beaners and arabs and they're always over 100k miles.
The only concerning thing about the history is that he had a really early clutch replacement. I wonder what that's about?

That's probably a good thing, they probably just sucked at driving manual and wore the clutch out. Better that it's been replaced now rather than have it go out on you. And you're right, dealers tend to have a hard time selling manual cars that aren't sports cars, so they might want to get rid of it.

60k miles is decent but talk that dealer down if you can. Either tell them all their fees and taxes/title better be 8k out the door. Cause otherwise it's gonna be like 10k when all is said and done. Here's what I'll give you shit on though. Why are you having your parents by you a car at 22? I understand you're in school but I assume you're working...Why can't you pay the 100 a month? Or just save up 3k and buy an older car. I guarantee it would last your college life without much work as long as you make a smart purchase. Why put the burden on your parents?

Mainly because I had to go to school full time as a commuter during undergrad, and keeping a 3.6 GPA as a biochem major is not easy.
Summers were spend either volunteering or working, and last summer was spend doing nothing but study for my PCAT.
I had 3.5k saved up, but I spent a grand and a half on the PCAT, and application fees and whatnot. Yes, it's that fucking expensive.

I was gonna take a gap year after college, but my mom insisted that I apply early and go to pharm school straight from undergrad, so I guess they kinda owe me?
I'm not letting them pay anything for me tuition or dorming wise in pharm school, just the car and maybe gas.

And yeah I'm def. gonna talk it down as much as I can, I just need to get the time to test drive it. Here's hoping it'll still be there after my finals end on may 22nd.

You can't get it cheaper? I picked up a 2010 Accord coupe EX with 50k miles for $8k a few months ago from a Honda dealership

>all that debt
hope it pays off buddy. hope you make double or triple what someone who went to community college and studied the same thing. forget being able to buy a house before you're 30.

you need to keep driving your current car if you have one or buy a shitbox for 2k outright.

8k is a lot. Check out that car website, find the price, go to the guy, take it as low as you can then take whatever price they give you. Take paper as if you're taking it to the bank. Go eat lunch. Come back and tell them the bank won't do that, they want ____ website price. Even if it's $300 less, do it. Leave when they say they can't do less. Shoot the shit and wait for the call from the manager saying he's willing to do that price.

Good luck my guy.

He's going to grad school to be a pharmacist. Where does community college come from?

Pay a little bit more and get an Accord.
Some of the 06-08 models have problems with the engine block cracking.

Again, CL is totally not an option because of my neurotic my parents are, and this is essentially the only used manual thar a dealer has in my area.

It's either this or a lease on a 2017 cuckmachine, and my parents LOVE Nissan....

I went to a city school (hence the commuting for the past 4 years) so I don't have any debt for undergrad. Shit experience, but at least I didn't cuck myself with a 40k/year private school for art history or gender studies.

Depending on how financial aid goes, I'll be around 180k in debt after all this, so if I live frugally and pay off like 4k a month on it, I'll be debt free in like 4-5 years; so at 30 I'll be debt free and keeping my pay check.
The upside of being cucked by such a huge loan is that my credit will be pretty amazing if I manage to pay it off that quick and I can get a decent amount of property if I move to NJ or stay upstate.

Can this civic realistically last me 6 or so years? Considering timely maintinance of course.

I'm gonna try haggling as best I can, I haven't even been to the dealer yet. It's gonna be after finals.

My main argument is gonna be that the previous owner was shit driver (based on that REALLY early clutch replacement in the history), so who knows what else he fucked up. I'll ask when they got it in the lot and if it's been months then I'll bring up how a manual in NYC is a very hard sell cause of traffic and all the stop lights etc. Also my Dad's good credit and how I'll be taking it that day.
How low do you think I can go realistically?
>tfw no rich parents to just get me a brz
>I'm such a faggot I would feel bad and give it back

Actually if you take out the retarded shit like laptop fees (chinkpad 4 lyfe) It'll be like 50k with dorming

So overall is going to be around 140-150k for the 4 years for pharm school
If anyone is wondering

Oh man....
Is it really worth it?

Well I end up being a "Doctor" so my parents are happy, and unlike real medicine I get to leave work at home, so I could enjoy my autistic hobbies after work.
Pays well enough that I can fund my /g/ and Veeky Forums hobbies as well.

I guess the only problem is that by the time I can afford them, all the 90's shitboxes I like are going to be too rusted out/ dysfunctional to be worth the money
Here's hoping s2ks won't be like 35 grand by the time I can buy one kek

Get to leave work at work*

So how much do you expect your salary to be and how long will it take to pay off the debt?

... You better hope they don't put you on call then

Nah, pharms don't go on call.
Worst that'll happen is you work the night shift, but if that's the case then you'll get the morning off.
Being on-call means 24 hours in the hospital, often on short notice.
probably anywhere between 90k-120k, depending on how the job market is when I graduate.
If I live frugally and throw all my money at the loan, I should clear it in 4-6 years, and it'll give me one hell of a credit score.

Which is why it would be nice if this civic shitbox could last me 8ish years.
That's possible right? It's never been in an accident and it's pretty low mileage.
I plan on putting around 20k miles on it per year going back and forth between albany and brooklyn.

The ugliest generation of civics

I agree (the 2017 ones are fucking ugly as well) but again, it's only option available.
Also for some reason every fucking dealership in the area (honda, mazda, VW, hoondaye) have this same civic listen on their site.

I'm seeing clean retail on Nada for $5800. Haggle like 6k first, he'll probably mark you up to $7500 if you start at $7000.

Not perfect, but if he lets you walk out maybe it's good you're not getting this one, man.

>Falling for the "oy vey get your degree goyim or u will be poor forever" meme.

Forget getting a job at 90k straight outta college, that shit does not happen anymore, every job at that tier requires expereince, not just school. So enjoy wasting your entire 20's and early 30's being a wage cuck until u get a lucky break into the job your supposed to have in your mid 30's. Not to mention the constant debt looming over you.

The 3k civic meme applies to you, dont finance a shitbox, u r going to have enough debt as is. Buy cash now, u will regret the loan later.

I'm 18 give me good advice so I don't end up like OP apparently will. I kinda want to be a mechanic but at the same time I know that it's not a very glamorous or well paying job.

Are they owned by the same parent dealer company?

I have a few friends that are techs. I mean its not a horrible choice if u love cars but its not something I would recommend. Were talking 50+ hours a week, very demanding and stressful job physically. And the pay is going to put you in the lower middle class.

If your mechanically inclined, be an aircraft technician instead. Pay is wayyy better and the benefits seem better.

Fuck now that's a job with a lot of pressure on you. Definitely not for me, I couldn't live with the idea that if I do something wrong 300 people will die.

B-but I'm getting a professional, non-meme degree

3k civic is fine if you have the time to bring it back to working order.
Also keep in mind im in NYC, we don't have 3k cars of any make here sadly

Probably, it's like a cluster of them 2 adjacent streets.

These new low-interest loans often have insane fees for being late on a payment.

I don't know if they intentionally make it difficult to pay, but if you miss one payment (studying for exams, holiday etc.) you're fucked.

>Professional non-meme degree
The College Jews got you good boy. The degree is just a prerequisite to get your application looked at, what really matters is certifications and experience.

What really matters doesn't matter if you can't get a job.

Please tell me how to become a pharmacist without the doctoral degree
Again, parents are paying this. It'll be like a 100 bucks a month no biggie.
Dad has very good credit so we should be at a super low APR. I wont do this if it's over 3% APR

>newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6071478245.html

>newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/6106791432.html

>newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/6089273210.html

>newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/6104586644.html

>newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6091604461.html

>newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/6111521971.html

Since you insist on getting a shitbox and wasting the prime time of your life on a piece of paper.

There are shit tons of cars that are driveable under 3k in newyork, are you high?

>wasting the prime time of your life on a piece of paper
What else do you suggest? Working in a shitty job that leads to nowhere?

Dude the only remotely non shit car on that list the 2004 manual civic, and it has like 150k miles what the fuck
At the VERY least it'll need a new clutch, brakes and whatever else is wrong with it.
Not to mention the very through cleaning it's gonna need because niggas in brooklyn are nasty.

Again, my parents are neurotic about CL, and I don't have the time nor a garage to wrench on a 3k civic and adding a few simple mods.

Again, I'm gonna be making ~350 mile trips at least twice a month. A high mileage machine isn't going to be a good idea.

The piece of paper is at least gonna guarantee me a stable job and some form of status in society.

Why are you still here?? All the good advice has already been given to you man.

It's all about who you know in the real world, you don't need a Ph.D to make money.

You have the wrong idea on how t it works out there, just because you have a degree doesn't mean you are entitled to a high paying job. All you really need is an associates in bumfuck anything just to say you went to college.

Once people see you at least havge a degree, you can go into internships in whatever career field you want which gets you into good jobs later on, get IT certifications or certifications in whatever. Most high paying jobs are looking for certified and experienced people, not just some random outta college.

Network with people in a career field you want to be apart of, make friends with them, ask them questions.

Hell, worse comes to worse study to get a real estate license (2-3 month process) or insurance license and make easily over 70k+ plus in your first few years. You don't need a degree to be a real estate or insurance agent either

>forbes.com/sites/thecollegebubble/2014/08/15/overqualified-and-underemployed-the-job-market-waiting-for-graduates/#3d8422434f67

Millions of people out of college with bachelors and masters tend to work jobs that they are overqualified for and unemployed because the jobs they want require experience, not just a degree. And the job market is shitty for 20 somethings with just a degree to their name and no experience.

If you want my opinion, if you want to be a pharmacist so bad. Find programs or internships in that area, and work on getting an associates in arts or a generic degree but if your deadest on being a pharmacist get it in something medical.

Dont waste 6-8 years being a broke and miserable college bumfuck just to find out that no one in the job market wants to employ you in the end.

My man, do you understand what a pharmacist is?
Very specific job with a very specific degree.
You get a PharmD after 4 years of professional school, and you work as a pharmacist.
It's like telling someone who wants to be a doctor to go get certs.
Are you really shilling people to get into fucking real estate? When we're smack dab in the middle of a housing bubble?

I need more opinions on financing this thing over like 60 months.
I'm def going to be able to shave at least 2k off that 8k asking. Manuals are hard sells in NYC.

getting a job is more than about making money. getting into a job you want to do may require a degree. just my 2 cents being a mechanical engineer.

i'd recommend you look at something newer and just fork over some more money. you won't want to be stuck in a loan with that long of a term on that old of a car, regardless of it's a honda or not. there's a lot of very nice options under $15k that are only a year or two old and are certified pre-owned.

>lot of very nice options under $15k that are only a year or two old and are certified pre-owned.
None are manual though, at least in all the stealerships in my area.
Plus if its so cheap I won't feel bad about maybe shoving in a turbo a few years down the line. Would also give me breathing room for timely oil changes etc.

being 9 years old isn't that big an issue on a relatively simple car like an 8th gen civic with such low mileage.

newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/6080030673.html

newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/6109265718.html

newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/6038513788.html

newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/6037684850.html

The car breaks down, you take it to a mechanic. You don't have to wrench. Stop being afraid of mileage faggot. If it had a good owner it'll be fine.

>If it had a good owner it'll be fine.

>good owner
>Brooklyn

Have you even spoken to your bank?

I know when I went to apply for my loan they offered 3% if I got a brand new 0 miles car, 5% 2015-17, & 8% between 10-14.

>I guess they kinda owe me?
>kinda owe me
>owe me

Jesus Christ.....

Must be nice for Mommy and Daddy to pay for everything. Entitled fucks.

No. Just get good tires and you're fine

>hurr durr I judge a whole area because memes

You don't understand what undergrad was like for me, mostly because of them.
I've lived in bk my whole life. What's an oil change?
I'm gonna check this out, my dad has really good credit so I'm gonna piggy back of that

there's literally nothing wrong with financing a car if you're 101% certain you can afford the monthly payments
it helps build good credit and will make it easier to buy a house down the road
people here are retarded bus drivers that save up for 4 years to buy a 3k civic and expect people to do the same with 10x that amount
just fucking finance the shit and be happy
we all die eventually, why not get what you want sooner

>there's literally nothing wrong with financing a car if you're 101% certain you can afford the monthly payments
Yep
100 cuckbucks a month is absolutely no problem for them, and I'll probably take it over if I'm able to start interning half-way through my degree. Still have to see about that though.

don't listen to your mom and take a gap year,only you know what's best for you. You are tired and want a break and freedom after years of school. If you don't take a break you're gonna burn out be miserable and fail. Speaking from experience.

Because he's probably buying from a shitty buy here pay here dealer that won't even report to credit agencies. Or he's "piggy backing off his dad's credit" so the loan is in his name.

Buy.
A.
Shitbox.
Outright.

I'll be completely honest, I'm burnt the fuck out
But a wasted year is ~100k wasted, so whatever, I'll just power through and keep buying stupid things to fill the void.

Not.
An.
Option.
They literally refuse anything on craigslist, and this civic is the only manual car that ANY dealer in my area has.

Say I haggle it down to 6, maybe 7k, is ~4.5% APR too much?
This is with my credit btw, not my Dads, no clue how much he would get.

>Buy.
>A.
>Shitbox.
>Outright.

Fuck off yuropoor. Not everyone on Veeky Forums is poor.

I hate people like you. Your parents don't owe you shit. Lmaoing at your hard undergrad. Maybe if you weren't a dumb fuck you could just gotten a dual major in an accelerated pharmd program so you can just do research on whatever you want and save money by not taking the pcat. Maybe if you tried harder in high school you would have had at least a half ride to a decent university instead of taking this shitty route. Oh and you'll be graduating in a bad market. Way to do research about your future career.

t. Pharmacist w microbiology major

>Majored in fucking micro
>Thinks he's hot shit
Biochem with a dual statistics and econ minor. Graduating with honors.

Accelerated pharmd programs not only produce the worst pharms, but they're also stupid expensive.
The only "real" (doesn't require PCAT) accelerated program in NYC is st.johns, and they make you pay PharmD tuition for 6 years. As in 47k a year for 6 fucking years.
My undergrad was free and I'm getting a scholorship for pharm school, cause of my GPA and because I scored top 5% on the PCAT.

Job market is trash yeah, but worst case scenario I go work on a navy base in Japan with a federal loan repayment program, paid housing and an R32 GTR and AE86dagumimememachine in my garage.

Can we talk bout the fucking civic now and not your insecurities?

if you're a pharmacist why did you even bring up your niggergrad degree? unless by "pharmacist" you mean that barely advice minimum wage guy handing out pills at the drive through.

also pharmaceutical research is a fucking massive field and you're a dipshit if you can't make bank in it and no, it isn't a bad market. assuming you don't have a shit degree in micro...

Not him but pharmacy and pharmacology are different fields.
One is patient care (see: pill-counter) and the other is research.
Former is a 4 year PharmD degree that you get after 4 years of pharmacy school and the latter is a PhD.

Interest and financing are fine, Veeky Forums is just autistic.
t. MBA

Whoops just a chemist here. :P Didn't realize they were bellow PhD. Thought they were like the MDs we have here doing research.

Hey man, pharms are still a doctoral degree, and they do correct a ton of mistakes that MDs make, especially in regards to dosing.
I wouldn't say they're below PhDs at all, there's really no reason to assert that one is better than the other. Pharms, doctors dentists PhDs etc. all have their role in the system.

If they aren't competent enough to do research like MDs can and do then they are a notch below PHDs imo.

MDs generally don't do "real" reaearch either.
Just a paper at the end of their residencies, and surgeons don't even need that most of the time.
You need an MD,PhD for that.
Not every one wants to teach intro bio to shithead college freshmen, and be forced to pump and dump papers to not get fired.
Yeah, but if it's 5% on 7ishK APR that's too much.
I'm gonna need to ask my bank to see what kinda interest they'll give me, if it's around 3% I'll take out the loan on my credit, otherwise I'll just have my parents do it.

Anyway, this is Veeky Forums not Veeky Forums, is the car actually any good?

I majored in pharmacy with a full ride. I picked up microbiology to go research with tetrahymena expressing jak2 proteins to combat patients with polycythenia vera in order to learn more about specifics in gene targeting.

> All accelerated programs are shit
> wah I'm fucking retarded and can't decide how to plan my future and want to pay my institution more

Kys

I'm a PharmD and we do get published if you are into academia. Look at the ADA guidelines. And just because you can do research doesn't mean you should. Some docs should go back to basic stats.

>Not every one wants to teach intro bio to shithead college freshmen
that has dick to do with research with pharmaceuticals
>need an MD,PhD
nope

Buy your own car. Use your own money.

Read the thread
I love the machoism that Veeky Forums has about buying their own shitboxes, but I simply couldn't fit a mcjob into my schedule.

>trusting a sleazy used car place full of salesmen over a private party selling an econobox

I bought an 07 civic ex just like yours, 90k miles, manual, coupe, from a woman who had another kid so she needed back seats.

She walked out carrying the kid and apologized that the car still had a sticker from the local preschool on it.

Buying from dealerships is a big fat waste. Your finance schemes are subsidizing the badly fitted jackets and cheap cologne of those car salesmen.

And you are literally about to get a pile of student loan debt anyway, so you should probably try for a cheaper car and pay that down first.

Dude, it's your first car and you live in shit town Brooklyn where people have to put extra bumpers on their bashed up cars. There's no point in having a nice car in ny. Buy a shitbox corolla for cheap, get your degree and get the fuck out of NYC. If you like cars... go west young man. Btw if your rich parents will buy you a new Nissan... get a sporty one. It's your first car, don't forget that! Everyone runs their first into the ground.

>extra bumpers on their bashed up cars
Very true
Parallel parking here means you bump into the car behind and infront to make sure you're parked kek
It's gonna spend like 80% of it's time in albany though, no prob.
I can't find a shitbox corrolla for cheap in manual in bk. Again, it sucks ass but craigslist isn't an option.

>Btw if your rich parents will buy you a new Nissan... get a sporty one
They would lease one. Because they're middle class, but completely financially retarded.
My dad has this fucking love affair with maximas and it's infuriating. I keep telling him how the CVT in his car is absolutely garbage but he keeps droning on about how "smooth" it is, meanwhile it's jerking all over the place at at low speeds.

I'm pretty autistic, and I would take good care of it, not really planning to run it into the ground.
>Buying from dealerships is a big fat waste. Your finance schemes are subsidizing the badly fitted jackets and cheap cologne of those car salesmen.
Again, no other option. And a situation like yours would not happen in brooklyn unfortunately.
The deal is that even if I take an absolutely retarded deal at like 7k with 4% APR paid over 72 months, that's only like $1440 added to the overall price..
I'm using 4% because I still don't have time to head over to my bank and see what kinda loan they would offer me, and I still need to actually go to the dealership, test drive it, haggle etc.

In return I'll be building up credit which helps me out when I graduate and I'm looking for an apartment. I've had a bank account and credit card for 4 years now, and although I've never owed them anything or even missed a bill, I doubt my credit would come in for me when I need it at its current state.

I really wanted an AW11 as my first car, but that ain't happening.
>tfw will never lift off in a corner and die in a beautiful 80's shitbox

Most MDs that want to do research will do an MD/PhD not only to get access to more funding, but for credibility too.
>that has dick to do with research with pharmaceuticals
I was assuming you were talking about academic research.
You think being a lab monkey for Pfizer is a good thing?
Drug R&D is a very expensive process and you can bet your ass it's not the PhDs that make the money there.

Don't know about the coupe, but the sedan is pretty balanced with a good set of tires. I've pushed my LX hard as fuck out of boredom on mountain roads with no issue or complaint aside from the mediocre R18 engine.

I've driven both and the coupe handles better IMO

It's a great first car. I have the LX coupe myself and it's a fun-to-drive little car.

One thing I'd suggest doing to the car is replacing the stock speakers, cause they don't sound too good.
Did that to mine and it was only 250$.

Care to elaborate on that?
I'd rather spend the 250 on better tires honestly. The only thing I would use the sound system for is maybe podcasts or something on long trips

The suspension is firmer on the coupe, the seats are bolstered more and it just feels sportier.