Hey b/o/ys...

Hey b/o/ys, bike guy here but I'm getting bored of working on/restoring them and want a change so I nabbed a project car.

I recently got an RX-7 FC in pretty good shape, hardly any rust on it, clean although paint's somewhat faded and it's been sitting. Been too sick to fuck around with the car for the last couple months but things are turning around and I want to get started.

The EGI was taken off by the PO, with the plan on putting a carb on it which is why the car was parked. It's been sitting, and I've been soaking the seals in oil and turning the motor over periodically. I'm looking at redoing:

-belts
-fuel pump
-manifold and carb
-new fuel lines
-servicing the brakes
-do the fluids (coolant, tranny, motor etc)
-spark plugs, maybe leads
-have to fix a window belt

Anything else I should check on? Basically I want to see if and how well it runs and then determine other shit like wipers, tires, brakes before I insure it and take it for a shakedown to see if any other shit pops up.

check the compression

FB owner here, before you do anything. Make sure you research the entire car. The forums are absolutely worthless, rotards are so fucking stupid. Nobody tells you major things you need to know, like you need a 54mm socket for the ONE (1) flywheel nut thats on at 300ft lbs or how you need an adapter or have to rig something up to get it to mount to an engine stand.

There's so many little things with this stupid car that it's going to drive you absolutely insane. Don't tighten the temp sensor at all just snug it up or the head snaps off, the front discs have the wheel hubs built in instead of just normal fucking brakes (for the FB at least), I could go on forever about this.

Don't do this, don't do that, make sure you redline it once a day, check the oil every 5 minutes, take it out for a walk at 3pm on tuesdays, no snacks after 7pm and if you follow this super special mazda meme maintenance routine, only then will it be ALMOST as reliable as a normal car.

If you get it carbed, you'll have to get the older OMP, unless you premix. Here's the thing about premixing on the carbd cars. Premixing is just adding oil into the gas before it hits the engine is it not? So why the hell do people premix on street cars? The OMP does that for you in all RX cars. I can sorta understand for the 13b because it injects it into the housing, but on the carbd cars the oil is injected into the carb, so isn't it already doing that for you?

I hate the community, I hate the car, I hate it all. But man listen up, when its running and you're up in the 6k rpm range, nothing feels better.

I'm not kidding about the rotard community man. They're totally worthless, you'd be better off just getting the oem shop manual (cause the haynes one is garbage too) and figuring it all out for yourself. Nobody lets you know major shit, or the info they give is just flat out wrong. Once I even asked "Hey whats this for? Don't see it in the shop manual" and the reply I get is "Best to not mess with it if you don't know what it is.". Wonderful, amazing, so fucking helpful. I hate everyone in this community. They're all liars, they lie about the power they make, they lie about the MPG (25 CITY? HAHAHAAAA TRY 10) and they hand out wrong info or do shit that is totally not recommended by mazda whatsoever like HEY HOW ABOUT 5W OIL EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT LISTED IN THE MANUAL WHATSOEVER. Speaking of oil, don't even bother with synthetic. Why? Well you're gonna burn it off anyway so what the hells the point of paying more?

Thanks man, I was looking for info like this.

I'd check compression but then I have to pay for that stupid tester. If it runs like shit I'm gonna reassess whether I'll keep it or sell and find a running one.

It reminds me of some of my 2 stroke street bikes. I lived with one for 7 years and it's all sounding familiar. Idiosyncrasies aside mine was pretty reliable but only because I stayed on top of the work.

I'll have a look for an older OMP, I never understood premixing myself, all my bikes had the OMP disconnected and it was an excellent system....1000km / L of 2T oil is alright and it was all just people being overcautious. Guess it's the same thing with the RX7.

>I hate the community, I hate the car, I hate it all. But man listen up, when its running and you're up in the 6k rpm range, nothing feels better.

Looking forward to this.

In the end, if shit goes my way then I'm gonna DD it for a bit, then see about a RB exhaust and maybe a bridgeport although I read 6 ports don't benefit from it as much.

If you're going to DD the car I don't think you should get the Bridgeport. This is another thing that the rotard community will not tell you. A bridgeport has a super lopey idle, kinda like big cams on a V8. It'll be a tremendous pain in the ass to drive on the street. If you don't care that's fine, but again nobody tells you that.

Also you don't need the stupid meme compression tester. You can do a test with a piston tester if you remove the valve at the bottom of the hose because it tests differently, also the valve can impact the seals while you're turning it over. If you need to do a quick and dirty test, just take the lower plug out of the hole on whatever housing you're testing, remove EGI or disconnect fuel pump and turn it over. You should hear 3 puffs of air like psst psst psst, if its like psst .... psst ... psst or anything other than just 3 even puffs its over.

Oh sorry, I forgot to say that you have to hold the valve on the tester open too, just watch the needle bounce while you crank it, it should be like 35psi or around there

Theres like 1000 threads on rx7club saying you need a 54mm socket

Premix is better than using dirty sump oil
Over the typical lifespan between rebuilds premix vs omp Makes the difference between new housings or not
And with the omp and carb it's dribbled down the throttle body not mixed with fuel
You wouldn't want to mix your fuel with dirty oil anyway

You hate the car? Fuck you ass hole

Yeah there's 1000 threads on rx7club saying that sure. But you know what kind of threads they are?

>I just got my engine out of the car, how do I mount it to a stand and what size is the nut on the flywheel?

Pretty much every small thing about the rx7 that you need to know is in these threads, they're never in the tutorial threads, they're in the OH SHIT I HAVE THE ENGINE OUT AND NOBODY TOLD ME THIS RANDOM BULLSHIT WHAT DO I DO theads that you never see because why would you?

DD just to get the gremlins out. It won't be a car I drive often as I have a grocery getter bike, more like something to take out on a weekend for a bit of screwing around.

Part of the appeal of the bridgeport is the sound and a bit more power. I don't want to go crazy though, 170HP is my goal. That said I can't help but fuck with stuff for more power, I had an RD that went from 38whp to 50whp...different carbs, shaved head, 3 sets of pipes, air filters...made my own programmable ignition too. I love wrenching on shit so performance work is half the fun.

I've been looking for an OEM service manual but haven't had any luck. I don't like looking at shit on a screen but I do have a PDF. Nothing looks stupidly complicated to do.

I'm a bike mechanic by trade so I see all sorts of dumb shit people do without doing the research.

You can check any of the faq threads they mention it

Who takes an engine out with a workshop manual anyway?
Sounds like yo8 expected to be spoonfed everything in the first thread you read and got butthurt that you had to do research for a fucking car

Well after owning a Miata and using the Miata forums and community being extremely helpful, I would have thought that the rotard community would too, since its so fragile.

I was told countless times before I bought the car by rotary "experts" that I called and all that shit that all I needed was the same shit to get a normal engine out, but thats a total lie. I definitely am asshurt, because the rotary engine is a total pile of shit. If it wasn't so fun to drive, I would have thrown it in the garbage by now.

You dont need a 54mm socket to get the engine out though so what's your deal?

Stay assmad that people won't hold your hand and spoonfeed you, baby boy

Enjoy taking pictures of your car while its parked or on the back of a flatbed because thats its natural habitat.

bump, if anything i'll just dump rx-7s

bump...looking for any 'gotchyas'

Rotary engine is one of the greatest, but you want it to have the same reliability and toughness of a 120 years developed reciprocating engine?
Too bad! Its a fragile fucking engine and if you do everything right it will still not be as reliable.
But guess what, after the hours you toil babying it, it will fucking reward you.

Mazda is the best