/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

It's a small world edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamer.com/dwarf-fortress-creator-tarn-adams-talks-about-simulating-the-most-complex-magic-system-ever/
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Plant#Leaf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Three rings for the elv kings under the sky.

>Those sizes
That's pretty amazing by itself, but there must be a way to craft even bigger worlds

Those faggots at NASA surely test their supercomputers on bigger stuff, right?

pcgamer.com/dwarf-fortress-creator-tarn-adams-talks-about-simulating-the-most-complex-magic-system-ever/

Thanks to whoever posted this interview in last thread. Finally we get some actual insights into the plans for the upcoming releases instead of the same old origin story of Dwarf Fortress. I was getting tired of those.

>not finnish love edition
for shame, I wanted to hear more finnish cool words

Jesus christ the comments at the bottom are pure cancer

bergele :-DDDD

There was an old hill titan skeleton in the moat of my fort that I abandoned. I came in as a necromancer and resurrected the skeleton and it became it's own named historical figure. I eventually lost track of it and apparently it settled in a town somewhere.

The page for the hill titan itself.

>tfw your reanimated skeleton accomplishes more than you ever did in life
>it even changes its name because it doesn't want to even be associated with you

seven for the dwarf-lords in their halls of stone

>You should do an article called, "Top Ten Mods that Make Dwarf Fortress Bearable" and then I might try it one week when I'm on vacation. I know I could Google it, but I like giving you extra work. See if you can't have it up by Saturday.
>i really hope they start focusing on making it look like a modern game instead of a 1986 game.
>Never even heard of this game and it's not on Steam.
Only ones that really made me cringe, most of the comments were surprisngly decent actually, not much "LOL IT'S SO HAAARD XDDD" memery or anything.

>not dorf-lords

The place listed as its 'home' is this hamlet.

Those dingo men, dragon, and roc 'outcasts' are actually also my undead thralls who got separated from me and apparently settled somewhere.

I'm curious what they will do in the background once I play fort mode again.

I currently just broke through the ice layer in a glacier.
Designating a down stairs in the rock salt layer transforms it into a red sand stair while doing it an a dolomite layer transforms it into sandy clay loam down stairs.
And apparently a dolomite Cavern floor tile transformed into a sandy clay loam Cavern floor without me doing anything (maybe some ice melted?).
Is this supposed to happen?
Anyone know anything about this?

Fucking casuls

Magical arms and armour fcking hyyyyype

So they're all living together as an undead outcast family?

Thats... kinda sweet.

Still the minstrel sings enchantment,
Sings his sword with golden handle,
Sings it into gleam of lightning,
Hangs it in the sky above him;
Sings his cross-bow, gaily painted,
To a rainbow o'er the ocean;
Sings his quick and feathered arrows
Into hawks and screaming eagles;
Sings his dog with bended muzzle,
Into block of stone beside him;
Sings his cap from off his forehead,
Sings it into wreaths of vapor;
From his hands he sings his gauntlets
Into rushes on the waters;
Sings his vesture, purple-colored,
Into white clouds in the heavens;
Sings his girdle, set with jewels,
Into twinkling stars around him;
And alas! for Youkahainen,
Sings him into deeps of quick-sand;
Ever deeper, deeper, deeper,
In his torture, sinks the wizard,
To his belt in mud and water.

I'm not sure what they're doing lol.
I also had some reanimated hydra heads with me when I retired in this town.
I kind of want to see my necromancer character go off and found a tower or something, but I'm not sure how that works.

NINE FOR MORTAL MEN DOOMED TO DIE

Also that hydra ripped one of my legs off before I could kill it. That character has a crippled hand which can't hold anything and now a missing leg.

I kind of want to become a husk so as to avoid being killable by brain or upper spine damage or blood loss or drowning, but it's hard to find evil mist I feel.

Sounds like the best sitcom ever.

>Episode 1: Let's meet the wacky neighbors!
>Episode 2: Our strength has been broken.
>The End

ONE FOR THE DARK LORD ON HIS DARK THRONE
IN THE LAND OF MORDOR WHERE THE SHADOWS LIE

Are they implying that Toady is a virgin with that headliner image?

>all those "want dorf but can't dorf" comments
I swear those make up half of the comments whenever there's an article about DF.

The other half being "how DARE he make a game with ASCII graphics, I will NOT bless this game and its fanbase with my presence".

>This guy works so hard for the 300 or so people who actually play Dwarf Fortress. :)

I know that economy can be a touchy subject, especially to people who remember it back in the day.
BUT, what if it's reintroduced as an option that can be turned later on into a forts life, for example:
>Get a steady fort
>You can assign a dwarf as treasurer
>Once you do that it opens new options to the fort
>Dwarves are payed for the amount of active duties they have as a seasonal paycheck
>But they also earn a bit for everyone work they finish (Mining, crafting ect. ect)
>You could have a bank, with a proper vault and workers whos job is to stand there and give out the pay to dwarves who come and pick it up
>Money could be Gold-Silver-Copper as these are all common ores
>If you lack these maybe you can assign some other ore as a substitute (Or maybe cloth/paper money)
Once you got this economy working you could start setting in a proper economy.
>Taverns would actually sell food and booze
>Shops for other things like clothes
>Dwarves would buy expensive things and get good thoughts
This would also establish a rich middle class that does fuck all but buy from stock producers and sell at high prices.
How does it sound?
Would such a thing even be possible?

>Taverns would actually sell food and booze
I sorta want this, every tavern I go to gives me shit for free. I want to earn those drinks.

the shitposting smiley is only used on Veeky Forums, isn't it? maybe he is from that other general.

I'm talking about Fortress mode here.

:) is not the shitposting smiley.
It's a hallmark of cunts who want to claim they weren't actually being cunts though.

I don't know if you're joshing me right now but I was referring to the comment section of the article.

I'm just saying, would be nice to have both in Fort and Adventure mode.

Well coins already have a use in Adventure mode.
In Fortress mode they are just a good way to get a FB to rape your fortress in the first summer.

I was referring to the comment you quoted.

smug statement + simple smiley is a well known shitposter meme here, so I suggested that the poster of that comment was from Veeky Forums.

Anyone got any tips for surviving in terrifying biomes?

Bring along sisu

Hammers and gates.
No meat industry whatsoever.
No cutting weapons, anything you cut off will come back to kill you.
Rev up those cave wells.

How the fuck are dorfs able to fight underground?
Light sources when?

but the shitposting smiley is obviously this, right? ;)

>;)
Uh oh, now's he's looking mischievous

:) is for passive-agressive cunts, ;) or even ;)))) is the true shitposting smiley indeed since it gives any statement a bit of an absurd, tongue in cheek meaning
compare and contrast:
>This guy works so hard for the 300 or so people who actually play Dwarf Fortress. :)
really cuntish, you can just say the author is a stuck-up bitch
>This guy works so hard for the 300 or so people who actually play Dwarf Fortress. ;))))
tongue-in-cheek, obviously just some fun banter

>mfw Toady's patreon is at 1612 people right now

Oh boy, time to murder little baby gobbos

>Not!Goblinslayer.png
I don't habeeb you

Cave adaptation is one hell of a drug.

>Amxu

D-Did I fuck up the timeline?

Amxu is a grill tho

he used to make a lot more than that. do more people just donate than do patreon? cause I remember the bros pulling in like 5k-7k a month in donations

Well he's getting nearly 5k dollarydoos from just patreon, and single donations are on top of that, so I'm fairly certain he'll rack around 6k minimum a month

nevermind, I misread 1612 people as 1612. DERP need more coffee

>DERP
don't do that

Gets me every time.

Poor human-lets, when will they learn they can't do cool shit like this?

My dorfs are probably all gay anyway because I'm not seeing any babies.

Traps aren't gay though, they're dressed as women.

Is it possible to play as a baby snatching goblin in adventure mode? If I get a sack, can I actually stuff children in there?

>27 pages of this, all for a single Draltha
If there was some kind of dwarven PETA they would be so pissed about this

>Baron consort comes to my fort as a bard and takes up residence
>The baroness he's married to isn't even part of my civilization
>Pic related happens
>His wife probably died or something
>I now have a second noble in my fort who doesn't even belong to my civ

He even has room demands, too. Same as a normal baron except he doesn't need chests, cabinets, armor stands and weapon racks.

Maybe you should send him on a vacation? I heard the circus was in town.

so assuming I've crafted some adamantine gear and I'd like to pass it on to my adventurer, should I store it somewhere in particular before retiring the fort?

>Unretire my volcano fortress
>Find the volcano has overflown somehow and most of the surrounding are burnt to ash
>all my mechanisms are fucked up
>Dwarfs drank all the booze and didn't bother to brew anymore

I bet you believe Urist is a male name too, right?

>Dwarfs drank all the booze and didn't bother to brew anymore
Your point?

If you reanimate or your weather is bad, dig deep. Stay there. Atom smash your corpses.
Otherwise play it like any other fort. A kitten on a chain is a good test subject to see what any evil weather/clouds might do.

"outcasts" means that they're criminals. Basically they're terrorizing the town.

Hey Anons.

Anyone have the image comparing the beliefs/eating/marriage of Dorfs/Elves/Kobold? Was pretty funny and I can't seem to find it.

Nope. Can't restrain creatures.
You could try beating a kid up, telling them to yield, and then asking them to join you? I don't know if that would work.

Not while they're alive.

Not while they're alive eh? However, it's true, I can stuff dead bodies in a bag...

Maybe the future isn't quite so bleak after all.

There was a guy here years ago, back in 2012 or 2013, who used a masterwork marble sarcophagus stuffed with the corpse of every creature he'd ever killed as his weapon. There was a screencap of his posts floating around, but I haven't seen it in years.
Anyone else remember that? Anyone have the caps?

My point is that I have a huge and veiny schlong.

>Nothing growing around my fort expect Lettuce
>Decide to farm that shit
>mfw find out it gives both Lettuce AND Lettuce Leaves

You have no idea how much lighting calculations cost.

If you think the game lags now then you just wait until every tile is making lighting calculations and it is coded by TOADY

Patreon displays every single donation as a monthly donation so if I give you $5 once it looks like I might be giving you $5 every month and that's just not the case.

Is patreon jumps during the Christmas season during his birthday and most of all during a release cycle. It has been a long-ass time since a release.

What

>We're not afraid to just take the game, pitch it on the ground, and put it back together, because you can't let it impede realization of the vision

The Orson Welles of vidya.

Lettuce gives both Lettuce AND Lettuce leaf as crops.
Thats TWO for one.

Funny how small even the large world is, and yet most of us are limited to, at best, medium worlds. Such a shame that toady is a lazy fucking shit bag, we could be in such a better place otherwise.

That has to be a bug, right?

>We'll have, by the time we're done, all the modes [fort/adv/leg] integrated
When is this going to be? Next release?

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Plant#Leaf
LEAVES NIGGA!

yeah fuck that guy

So some dumb fucking migrant who just got to my small farming fort decided he's king now. I figured it wouldn't be a problem and just didn't give him any special rooms. Now he's starting to mandate shit though so I'm wondering, what would be the consequence of killing him? Would some other hooplehead in my fort declare himself king?

>Serbia is a medium dwarf fortress world
Oh shi-

Probably?

Remove elf?

>Serbia is a medium dwarf fortress world
Two medium worlds, actually.

That's assuming Kosovo is part of it, though.

What about Montenegro?

Google says it's about 14000km2

That means it's about the size of one and a half small world.

>as big as Belarus
>small
nigga, what do you even expect from vidya worlds? Belarus is still large enough that seeing all the towns would take you many years
making a world as big as the Earth would just be excessive

>Belarus is still large enough that seeing all the towns would take you many years
You mean IRL, right? Because you can see every settlement in a medium DF world in an afternoon if you don't get sidetracked or eaten by bogeys.

If you actually limited yourself to travelling in real time, and actually explored the settlements thoroughly, rather than just run to the keep or temple and then never visiting the town again, it would actually take quite a while to see all the towns.

Plus you can't cross a medium df world on foot or in travel mode at that pace, not even with one of my hypertime Spd 10.0 modventurers.

Either you were questporting around from site to site, which will only get you enough time to see all the buildings in hamlets/hillocks in a few dozen sites before day change, or you were fucking around doing shit like using launch to ride some poor fucker across the world at half the speed of light, which will still eat up time in game.

An afternoon in real life can be a few seconds in an old ass FPS:Hahahahahaha, Nope fort, or it can be weeks in adventurer mode, or millenia in world-gen.

>This whole post

Not sure what I'm seeing there.

I think it's an elf body being thrown very fast?

I know you meant "without fast travel" and not really "in real time", but I'm a pedantic kind of guy so I'm pointing it out anyway.
>and actually explored the settlements thoroughly
I think that's moving the goalposts a bit, and not really reasonable. Not because it would be difficult, mind. Settlements in DF are, despite all the variety in its guts, astoundingly similar to one another. Exploring a settlement thoroughly will amount to walking down mostly-empty streets to see rows of mostly-empty buildings, which will look a whole lot like the mostly-empty streets and mostly-empty buildings in the last settlement you explored. The people you encounter will be doing very little and and will tell you very similar things to the people you encountered in the previous settlement. If you start diving into sewers or worldgen forts you're going to at least find somewhat more interesting layouts and residents, but at that point you're more dungeon crawler than settlement explorer.
But anyway, you said "seeing all the towns", not thoroughly exploring them. Walking through a town in DF and seeing the market, mead hall, keep and temple (if it even has those) will show you everything worth exploring there if you aren't interested in a dungeon dive or poking NPCs long enough to a snatch of unique text out of them. Something similar could probably be said about most towns in Belarus.