Why do Americans lease German luxury cars or trade them in once the warranty expires?

Why do Americans lease German luxury cars or trade them in once the warranty expires?

Because they want to seem wealthy or enjoy luxury goods for low prices.

Who wants to own one of those piles out of warranty?

Because they suck.

Or because you're an idiot?

Example:

50k bmw lease 3 year 10k miles has 63% residual

Lease end it's worth $31,500.
Turn in your keys and it's done. Or buyout the car and negotiate a few thousand if somehow your car is worth more than buyout (rare for high residual bmw)

If you bought the car and wanted to sell it, you'd get around 18-24k if you're lucky.

So bmw slaps on certified pre owned with higher price and long warranty and both parties win because bmw subsidizes their lease.

This only works because people buy certified pre owned BMW in great numbers.

It doesn't make sense to buy a new BMW for the standard 3 series

Too expensive to maintain. The cost on those cars are ridiculous. One of the silver linings of me totaling my MB was that I no longer had to visit the service center ever again or come up with the $2,000 needed in the next 2 months to get what else I needed fixed, fixed.

Could've bought a good used Japanese or American manual car in cash for what I spent on maintaining that German shit box. The only good thing about it was that it looked extremely nice to other people and stood out, and also handled well, but it was more of a hassle for me than anything else. Good riddance.

>One of the silver linings of me totaling my MB
Also the reason they totaled it is because the airbags in the armrest could not be replaced apparently. Still have yet to find any other cars with airbags located in the armrest, even newer cars.

Private persons leasing cars is a poorfag myth

Because German cars are only reliable and well engineered until the warranty runs out.

Because Americans never maintain them.

Because Germans try their best to make self-maintenance impossible, forcing them to see a dealer.

>Leased a VW
>36 month lease, 36 month warranty
>As I'm about to sign I noticed they changed it to a 39 month lease
>Told them to fuck off and give me the 36 month lease or I walk

>remember when i first wanted a VW golf
>looked up YouTube videos on it
>first video was about a guy complaining about the check engine light showing when he just bought the car new

Never will I buy a German car.

Because you'd be stupid to keep one past the warranty period

I imagine it's the same when people try to lease gmcs

>oh yea here's your lease
>water pump goes bad within 2500 miles
>oh yea your struts already rusted off

Some people shit on leases but when you lease a shit car and don't have to pay for any of the shit that's wrong with it you can't go wrong

And then they try to dick you by charging 150 dollar diagnostic fee

Leasing is a fancy word for renting. You never own "your" vehicle, on top of that you're responsible for it. Talk about getting cucked while smiling

>you're responsible for it
Responsible for none of the maintenance, oil changes or any of it beyond the mileage and normal care

I learned that from just working on them
>wheel bolts instead of studs and lugnuts
>but hans, there are two parts to a stud and lugnut so more parts = poorly designed
>right erich, so we make bolt with less tensile strength, who cares about easy of removal for a spare

This bizarre thought process permeates all theses german cars
>electric water pumps
>wiring everything together through one harness so a fucking short in the taillight wiring can prevent the car from starting

on the other hand, the krauts had their heads on straight about some things too
>audi biturbo v6
>not a spare millimeter of clearance on either side of engine to remove it
>how the fuck do you pull the motor?
>take out rad and front clip and everything just pulls out the front, no wiggling or lifting required

Idk, their thought process is flawed at times because they want to be advanced in shit thats better off simple, but sometimes it works out

>electric water pumps
>electric
>water

I don't think you know how the water pump works. It's not the electricity that makes the pump go bad. It's the fact that it's an electric motor that is so much more prone to failure causing it to go bad

The electricity and water thing are mutually exclusive in this case

A physical belt/chain/gear driven water pump is exceptionally simple

its a goddamn impeller on some bearings attached to a pulley

adding wiring, an electric motor, a reduction gear, various sensors, and all this other nonsense is madness

all for the sake of reducing the whatever 1.5 hp of belt drag on the motor

In the UK leasing is massive. You get a brand new car, pay a few hundred a month, then at the end of three years you give it back and get another brand new one. It isn't so much people not wanting to run a car out of warranty / buy it outright and take an extended warranty, it is more people always wanting a new car on their drive.

Great for the second hand market, full of three year old cars with a full main dealer history for a fraction of the price and the massive depreciation hit gone. Unless it is something crazy like an M / RS / AMG car I wouldn't be too worried about running a 3 year old German car out of warranty, even if it does throw a bill at you it doesn't hurt that much once you consider depreciation and residual value and play that up against throwing thousands down the drain to lease a brand new car that isn't yours and has zero residual value to you.

>coolant flow is now tied to engine speed

It's shit

But MUH "German Engineering"

It's not shit. The faster the motor runs the hotter it gets. Proportionally you should run more coolant to keep it cool

If only there were some way to vary the drive ratio.

Wouldn't the cooling of the water go to shit if it flows through the radiator too fast?

I think that's why the radiator is so long and twisty to make sure even under load that the water gets cooled off

Generally the water should cool faster because if you're running the engine harder, you're probably going faster and therefore the radiator has more air running through it to keep it cool.

I'm sure it's not perfectly 1:1:1 like that but it should be close

Electric motors are extremely reliable, electric water pumps are too, the problem is that they make these electric water pumps with cheap plastic housings and planned obsolescence in mind.

If they could build a water pump that lasted 200k miles and it'd cost $100 more to make but cars are manufactured to be recycled by 100k so there goes that, plus here's money to be made by selling labor and replacement parts because of pump failures.

I ignorantly presume there's a limit on the efficiency of water cooling over speed.

I'll ask Veeky Forums some day.

Hi im bubba, im 18 years old and i didn't graduate.

I spend my days working at wallmart and shitposting on 4 chan.

Today, i'm pretending to know shit about german luxury cars and I will tell you they are shit.

Please reply,

yours truthfully,

bubba

Think there's any way to lease the car, sell it back, buy it again with the services done and all checks performed with an extra warranty, and come out on top?

In your example, for instance, think it's possible to buy it for maybe 33k back from the dealer as "certified pre-owned" after being given 31,500 for the lease end?

I don't think dealers are dumb enough to spend money to certify and then sell it back to original customer for no or little profit. They can make shit ton more selling it to "rich" weebs like typical Veeky Forumstist

>implying stacy ever heard of service intervals

its massive in the uk, as people live way beyond there means. its simply poor fags getting something they cannot afford ina million years. its been recently reported in the press what a huge timebomb this is worse than mortgage arrears. its explains why there are so many morons driving good cars around, when in relaity they cannot afford the tyres ffs. people want to live beyond there means instead of getting the shitbox they can actually afford

Everybody ITT saying to buy CPO has never owned even a new Mercedes or German luxury car. Even with a lease $1500 oil changes are not unheard of. It's way the fuck worse as the car gets older and rolling in a CPO luxury car makes you look like a tryhard.

If a lease is triggering you then a high end German car is not for you. If you can't afford it new you can't afford it used either.