User here trying to start a business. I just have one problem

user here trying to start a business. I just have one problem.

I have a mother who spends money recklessly. To put it short, she's a mom that never plans her money, so always borrows it from her children. I'm slowly saving up money and growing my business, but because I have money, she is now demanding that I continue giving her money. And when I don't, she curses me out and makes me out to be the devil for not honoring her as a mother, despite having helped her a lot in the past. She just doesn't understand that I don't really own the money that I'm getting. It's all capital for growth. I don't have profits yet to give to her.

So last week, after an argument of her not appreciating what I was trying to do, I told her off and ignored all her calls since. Now she's trying to guilt trip me and do all the typical mother things. Did you guys ever go through something like this where you either had to hide your success from your family or was harassed for not being a good son?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5pGLNeov2VM&t=200s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think your mom just needs a good hate fuck.

To answer your question though my mom did the exact same thing. I was making really good money in high school at a restaurant and she knew I had thousands saved up for a car once I turned 16. Right before my birthday she apparently got a call from her car loan place and she happened to owe the exact same amount of money I had or her car was going to get repo'd. Retarded me gave her the money and I never saw a cent of it. We moved right before my birthday too far from any bus stop for school so I couldn't go any more. She couldn't drive me to work anymore either of course so I was stuck at home.

Anyways I never got a car or a driver's license until I was 23 and I haven't talked to her in 9 years.

Wow OP. That sucks.

I love my mom, she's the best.

Holy shit, that sounds like what happened to me in high school, but not as bad. All the money i was ever getting from family or herself, I was saving up hard. I probably had more money than she ever did at once in her wallet, even on her paydays. When she found out, unfortunately, you can guess what happened to it. I became her personal bank and I was left with a measley ten bucks. What a depressing childhood.

Youre being a good son by cutting her off from using her son as an income source

>Did you guys ever go through something like this where you either had to hide your success from your family or was harassed for not being a good son?

Here's your choices...

>leave mother block her number
>deal with it and say yes to her insanity

Do a reverse guilt trip.
Tell her how much she owes you, tell her how much you could have done with that amount, tell her how she is slowing you down.

Oh I have a lot of that and I've done it before, but she's very good at ignoring that.

Your mom is the government
When things go well for you she wants to take credit for it because you live in her house
>you didn't build that

One way or another you need gain controlling access "inside" her. Get a gf who will be her BFF pay her lots of attention so that you have your mom under control. Keep the gf happy with frequent hot ropes across her face and eat her asshole once in a while.. etc. /r9k/

I live by myself.

If you haven't tried these, I reccomend that you do.

Maybe she only learns through example, if so:
>take her for a ride in your car through the ghetto and show her what retards who spend money like her live like when all the money runs out, then take her through a rich neighbourhood and show her what she could be living like if she stopped her habbits and supported you in your ventures (try to not sound like a stuck up cunt when you do, I know its hard, becasue you genuinely are trying and she's not, but if she feels like she's being put down she will just do what women do best and bitch

Try the exact same thing on her:
>"Mom, give me money, I need money, mom the new expansion pack for minecraft and I FUCKING WANT IT NOOOOW, what? No money FUCK YOU BITCH YOU DONT LOVE ME BLA BLA BLA

See how it works, god speed OP

Also, my brother has a gf, and my mom hates her cause he gives more attention to his gf than his mom. It's a lose lose situation. If she could, she would have us hooked to money making machines forever.

That first one is funny cause we did come from a poor background. She always was able to live one step ahead of being in the ghetto, but she still has the mentality of being hood-rich. She has received so many good tax return money for having us, that she could have saved up and did wonderful things with it. Everytime she got like 10K, a dread filled me knowing it was all going to go away in a week.

Oh then sever all ties duh.
Real Veeky Forumsnessmen don't have families. Wtf

Your mom hates his gf because she wants her ass eaten and ropes thrown all over her face by you. I promise you it'll work op.

This

Update: My mome just told me to go to hell after I tried to reason with her that I can't give her money right now.

So I'm going to have to make the hard call am I. fuck.

cut off that crazy bitch mang, this isn't the third world where you farm children to take care of you when you fuck up

>1713079
ignore her for two weeks see how log see last's is she isnt going to be reasonable dont bother talking to her

You seem like a bitch.

I don't think he'll make it a week. He needs mommy's validation

Maybe you should just fuck her..

I understand OP. My family is currently going through this with my uncle. He is a money black hole, and he is like a tick, constantly sucking money without giving anything back.

I know this is your mother, but you need to distance yourself from her, or you wont get anywhere. She will continue to drain you of all your success and you will be stagnant. Love her, but from afar. Perhaps send a care package every once and a while. Good luck friend.

fucking cuck sending care packages to his mom that wants him in the dirt alongside her

pathetic

have exact same situation, only its the whole family. Dont let them know shit, if they ask how you are doing say i am doing shitty, can i borrow some money back from you?

What a cunt. Some parents are just trash.

Cut her off, hard. Greed surpasses parental love and general human decency. It's a goddamn drug.

But I don't need to tell anyone on Veeky Forums that, now do I?

Got the same problem. Borrowed my mother money so she could rent an office to start a business venture. Now she wants to loan even more and gets angry if i ask what her plan is. "Don't tell me what to do!". Advice: don't lend money to your family.

I know that family is literally a buch of niggers. I tried to teach my mother abput saving and investing using robinhood and she literally doesn't have the intelligence to hold anything for more than a week. She is constantly just selling and using the money to buy stuff but complains that she's not seeing any gains.

STOP GIVING HER MONEY THEN

JUST STOP IT AND IF SHE BITCHES CUT HER OUT OF YOUR LIFE

Watch this fucking video: this guy's mom and sister are using him as a cash cow.

youtube.com/watch?v=5pGLNeov2VM&t=200s

My Mom and Dad bled me dry when I was trying to make my own way. She got $1,600 a month for """disability""" from social security, he was a faggot who couldn't hold a job and sucked from his inheritance of 80-something thousand dollars.

I fucked up one time and left a bank statement out and they saw I had a whopping $600 or so in the bank BEFORE $400 for rent, $60 for gas when it was $4.50 per gallon, and other bills.

They kept trying to get me to pay for shit left and right and my Dad would try to beat me if I did not comply because he just wanted my Mom to shut the fuck up. One day I double-legged him into the fucking sidewalk outside their apartment and told him if he wanted to be a pussy I'd beat him like he had one.

I left and cut contact. Life immediately improved. 3 years later, Mom went full dementia and got fatter than ever and I had to sign over some powers or something to my Dad. He was all buddy-buddy. I read the shit, signed the shit and left.

Bump into him occasionally, his car got repossessed so he lost his job and he was all gaunt, he'd let an abscess in his mouth go unattended and it drained into the rest of his body so he had all these stitched down his left side. We talked a little, I gave terse answers. He topped it off by saying "well I'm gonna go to the bank and see if I have enough money to keep the gas on." I said "cool, see ya" and went on my way.

The blood bond is not the arbiter of whether or not someone deserves to be in your life. Would you let a friend treat you this way? I hope not. Apply the same moral standards to your relatives as you would a friend, a girlfriend, anyone.

Clean house. Debride your life.

Shit man, you have a colder heart than I. I'm struggling trying to do that, but it almost feels like I'm murdering her. Cause worse comes worse, something happens to her, the family in the other state hears about it, and it'll be my fault. Funny thing is, she left the other state specifically to get away from said family, so it's all her fault, yet it's probably not going to be seen like that the moment she's in the hospital.

It's fucking infuriating.

In business people will constantly be begging for money and trying to sell you useless shit. All day every day. On your phone, on your email, on the street.

If you can't tell a beggar "NO" you're going to fail. You will never succeed in business if you can't tell your mother "no." Or the breast cancer support group charity or the fireman's association for the protection of burn victims and orphans or whoever else is asking you for money.

Going through a similar situation myself.

Gotta give your mom an ultimatum: Either act right or the relationship ends.

I'm about to cut off contact with my Mom.

It sucks but she has left me no choice whatsover.

Not a good strategy.

Part of becoming an adult is telling people they need to treat you with respect if they want to have a relationship with you.

No respect, no relationship.

I know this is hard. It will eat at you. Cut it off.

A big tip that will help: Surround yourself with positive and supportive people. Tell them the details of this relationship, don't hold back. They'll help you overcome. Athiests will criticise but church helped me a lot with a similar situation with my mom.

> seeing them get worse after you leave

I think this is the single toughest part. After you walk away, their black hole of life gets even worse. It's best not to even get updated on how they are doing.

yoy should literally murder her. No edge no joke.

My mom actually goes to church and uses that to get at me. But Ive come to learn how double standard she is.

I worked all the time in high school, saved money n shit, but my mum made me bring my pay home every week and put it in the safe because she 'didn't trust banks'.

One day I come home from school, she has a new car, I knew she'd been saving for a while, I thought good on her, we go for a drive and she tells me user, I borrowed $4000 to pay for the car, I hope you don't mind, I'll pay you back.

Just spent all my money without asking, she did ended up paying me back 4 months later thankfully, but taking my shit without permission, seriously not cool.

Between my parents they've been bankrupt 3 times.

Every church has a handful of psychos and selfish people. You cant kick them out though.

Don't give her money, offer to teach her about money, how to set a budget, basic shit. Tell her you will consider giving her money if she can save part of it, you have leverage over her, don't be a little bit cheaper, use it to help her.

Either she listens, gets her shit sorted so you can give her money knowing it won't get wasted, or you can go sorry, I tried, I need to grow my business.

The sooner you are a success, the sooner this problem goes away. When you're wealthy, her asking you for $500 won't matter, because you'll be making 5x that a week.

Giving her money is terrible ROI.

>Shit man, you have a colder heart than I

No. I give what I get, which is what makes me just, i.e fair minded. I don't treat everyone the same, because everyone is not the same. I judge. I judge a lot. I discriminate. Because it is good to judge and discriminate. It is necessary in every facet of life, from who you fuck, to who you choose as a friend, to a prospective employee, to whom you let into your house, to the produce you buy.

I'm not cold, not warm, not soft, not hard. I am objective. I am just.

Judge. Discriminate. Assess. Or you will be picked to the bone.

>but it almost feels like I'm murdering her. Cause worse comes worse, something happens to her, the family in the other state hears about it, and it'll be my fault.

Your fault for not paying her bribes, or her fault for her choices she made of her own accord? You know the answer.

I just now noticed the post above where you talk about her wasting the $10,000 she'd get from the Government and her "hood rich" mentality. This cunt needs to be cut off outright, right now.

>family in other state

So? If they offload her agency and responsibility on to you so they can blame you for her decisions, why do you care about what they have to say? Why do you care about the opinions of people who regard you as a blame-repository? It's as though you've been conditioned for such a role.

I bet she is a single mother who chose to fuck bad men who spit "tight game" and then bitched about being done wrong by them, then talked about how strong she was while receiving tax-funded welfare.

Single mothers don't raise boys to become men that will meet the needs of a future wife. Single mothers raise boys to meet their own needs and keep them in a perpetual Oedipal codependent Hell on Earth.

>Single mothers raise boys to meet their own needs and keep them in a perpetual Oedipal codependent Hell on Earth.
This sounds so fucking true.

This young man runs a startup business. His prime is ahead of him.

She's a burnout "hood rich" parasite. 10 years ago, she was what she is now. She is now what she will be until she dies.

She is static, he is active. He is growing, she is stunted. You can not teach a parasite how to budget. "Budgeting" is not in its universe of thought. If she has not learned something so basic yet, she never will.

The one thing everyone is running out of is time. Time can be gained, only lost. Don't waste yours.

>This young man runs a startup business
no he doesn't.
he has no profits, so he has no business.

what he does is collect "capital for growth" and brag about hiding his "success" from his family while admitting he hasn't made a dime.

businesses make money. If it's not making money it's not a business.

You're mistaken. I have profits. Just not enough to where I can say I can start going on cruises with. I haven't made enough for my taste.

>brag about hiding his "success" from his family

Except he didn't do that at all.

Why are you lying? Do you not realize we're in the thread right now and we can read all this shit?

Have you heard of "schadenfreude"? You should try it some time.

>Did you guys ever go through something like this where you either had to hide your success from your family or was harassed for not being a good son?
are you retarded?

>She just doesn't understand that I don't really own the money that I'm getting. It's all capital for growth. I don't have profits yet to give to her.

>You're mistaken. I have profits.
I wonder how I came to that 'mistaken' conclusion?

>don't have profits yet to give
>to give

I'm not comfortable yet to give anyone any money that is considered surplus.

this is tough. I grew up poor and now work really hard so I naturally want to brag and show off a little for validation but at the same time I know it will just make all of them resent me.

>brag

Do you know what "brag" means?

>hide your success

Is gathering capital not a success?

Did you graduate elementary school

lol

Now you know what it feels like to be a black man with a little money.

family is coming out the woodworks.

sorry, I don't speak lying faggot.

I didn't know "don't have profits to give her" means "i totally have profits but I don't want to give them to her."

Definitely a newfag, at least. I'm not that guy, as indicated by the post ID, retard.
You've never run a business, have you?
'profit' doesn't go directly into your pocket for McChickens. If it does, you're fucking up.

Perhaps I should

>I'm not that guy, as indicated by the post ID, retard.
I didn't imply you are, retard.

>'profit' doesn't go directly into your pocket for McChickens.
anything you reinvest is an expense, not profit.

Shit mate all OP meant was that he considered his fledgling profit better spent reinvested than to dole out to his mother. If you prefer through Freudian slip analysis to prove that he's actually a soulless liar online that's your prerogative

That's called "retained earnings" and it's most certainly not a fucking expense. Expenses are subtracted from revenues to calculate net income (shown on the income statement), but retained earnings is a portion of net income that is not given to shareholders in the form of dividends and is instead reinvested into the company or firm.

How old are you that you don't know that? That's shit we teach in high school in the US.

Man, you are a lunatic.
Are you from some third world mud hole or something? Reinvested income is retained earnings, not an expense, and considering the guy is new to this, he probably doesn't know the difference.
Seriously, audit a home ec class.

>retained earnings is a portion of net income that is not given to shareholders in the form of dividends and is instead reinvested into the company or firm.
kek
you think OP has shareholders?

fuck Veeky Forums is a bunch of retards.

retards, I say.

>Part of becoming an adult is telling people they need to treat you with respect if they want to have a relationship with you.
>No respect, no relationship.

100% true. It is totally ok to let relationships sit on the back burner for whatever period of time they need to. You don't need to kill a relationship as soon as 1 party makes a mistake. You need to feel free to bench it for whatever time period required though.

yeah you guys took it way out of the purpose of what was said. it was meant to be simple.

Act like a man, you pussy. Call her, tell her you need to have a serious talk about this situation. Be firm, but fair.

What you're doing now is akin to a child locking himself in his room.

If she raises her voice when speaking to you, starts shouting or whatever, just slightly raise your voice, (and assuming you can) try to sound commanding.

In short, man up.

>guilt trip me and do all the typical mother things.

Typical mothers dont do shit like that

>you think OP has shareholders?

Either way, that sure as fuck doesn't make retained earnings a goddamn expense. Why even give advice if you don't know what you're talking about?

I am not trolling when I say this - cut contact with her. Judging from what little you wrote here, it seems you've done well by her in the past. You did what you can, but you cannot change the heart and character of another person. They will remain the way they are.

this too

also this, CUT CONTACT

op, do you not realize the markings of abuse? it doesn't have to be physical. Do not let the low-iq retard parents you have control you. Even the way your mother gets angry at your brother for focusing on his gf speaks volumes, that is a step towards his manhood and independence and she would be willing to ruin that

Lastly, you mention a hospital visit that could happen if left unattended. If you cut off contact ENTIRELY, with nothing left, there will be no means for your extended family to criticize you if they can't even find you

check out /r/privacy and /g/ if you need to learn how to disappear

>that sure as fuck doesn't make retained earnings a goddamn expense
yes it does, moron.

in a flow-through entity retained earnings are profits. If they're reinvested they're an expense.

>Why even give advice if you don't know what you're talking about?
I'm teaching you. Just because you think you're right doesn't make it true.

>in a flow-through entity retained earnings are profits
>retained earnings are profits

So profits are expenses? Because you have stated multiple times that retained earnings are expenses and you just stated that they are also profits. Do you know the difference between profits and expenses? Or have you said the wrong thing multiple times and instead of admitting you're wrong you just keep backtracking and pretending you're right?

Just in case you don't get it, retained earnings is what you start your income statement with. Expenses are subtracted from retained earnings.
It looks like this:
>(plus) beginning Retained earnings
>(plus) Net Income during period
>(minus) Dividends paid
>(equals) Retained Earnings for the period

RE can not be an expense as it is the portion of the firm's earnings that is used to fund the core of the business and/or pay off liabilities the company holds. It's important that you understand this distinction if you're going to discuss the inner-workings of a business.

Then subtract expenses as follows:
>(plus) Revenue (retained earnings)
>(minus) COGS
>(equals) Gross margin
>(minus) Operating expenses
>(minus) Gains and losses
>(minus) Other rev's and exp's
>(minus) infrequent items
>(equals) Income from contin. operations
>(plus/minus) Income/loss from op's of a discontinued comp.
>(plus/minus) Gain/loss from disposal of a discontinued comp.
>(equals) Net income (or loss)

Do you understand why retained earnings (revenue) is different from expenses now? These aren't words that can be used interchangeably, you'll look foolish in a real-world conversation about business if you make that mistake. Just trying to help.

>Because you have stated multiple times that retained earnings are expenses
sorry, I lost track of your retardation.

they're profits until they're reinvested and then they're expenses.

A flow-through entity CANNOT RETAIN EARNINGS.

THEY EITHER GO TO THE OWNER'S POCKET AS PROFITS OR ARE SPENT ON EXPENSES.

OP CANNOT RETAIN EARNINGS IN HIS BUSINESS, HE IS NOT A PUBLICALLY TRADED CORPORATION.

>Do you understand why retained earnings (revenue) is different from expenses now?
I'm trying to help you understand why OP can't retain earnings. It's difficult, you're a bit stupid.

a flow-through entity cannot retain earnings.

"Retained earnings" means revenue that isn't given to shareholders. What type of company OP is running doesn't make a shit, it's still called "retained earnings" whether or not he has any shareholders. Have you taken an accounting class past high school?

>THEY EITHER GO TO THE OWNER'S POCKET AS PROFITS OR ARE SPENT ON EXPENSES.
This is the dumbest shit I've read in hours on this board. Retained earnings (profit from last quarter that OP didn't keep and left in his company) are added to net income from operations of the current period then used to pay out expenses. Do you seriously not understand this basic accounting? Take an accounting course dude, it's not difficult shit and you honestly look like a child arguing a wrong opinion.

Also, OP never said he ran a FTE, he only said he was trying to start a business. A FTE is just a business entity where profits (net income left after expenses are paid) "flow-through" to investors and/or the owner of the business. We aren't talking about profits, we're talking about earnings before expenses are subtracted (aka retained earnings or revenue). Are you autistic?

user women test the men in their lives for strength, if they fail they take them for all they are worth. This is their basic instinctual design.

You are fucking failing right now. Grow some balls and lay down the law or she will consume you.

kek

Try to leave a few thousand cash in your business account at the end of the fiscal year and tell the IRS it's 'retained earnings.'

a flow-through entity literally cannot retain earnings. They are profit until they are reinvested, then they're expenses.

holy shit you're dense. FLOW-THROUGH. THE MONEY FLOWS THROUGH.

>Also, OP never said he ran a FTE
He doesn't need to.
if you owned or operated a business you'd know why.

No rides through a ghetto, no pleading, no anything. She's not your mom, she's an egg donor. Cut contact and if the rest of the family thinks your in the bad cut contact with them too.

I see why you're confused. Retained earnings aren't final profits at the end of a period, they're revenues that have yet to have expenses subtracted from them. I think the term "retained earnings" in itself is confusing you. Just think of retained earnings as "revenues" (as in "profit/sales before you pay out expenses").

I think you're whole argument is based on the fact that you think that I'm meaning to say that you can take your net income and move it into your cash account and classify it as "retained earnings," which isn't at all what I'm saying or how RE is calculated or used. Sorry for that confusion.

Also, not being a dick but do you do your own accounting and/or taxes? It seems like you should be familiar with these run-of-the-mill phrases that are oh-so common in the accounting world.

I'm not confused at all.

in a flow-through entity, revenues that have yet to have expenses subtracted from them are tentative profits. If you never subtract expenses from them they are net profits. After you subtract expenses from them they are expenses.

>It seems like you should be familiar with these run-of-the-mill phrases that are oh-so common in the accounting world.
they are meaningless to me and 95% of other business owners because we own flow-through entities.

you're discussing accounting for corporations with multiple owners.

So what you're calling "tentative profits" I'm calling "retained earnings/revenues" and what you're calling "net profits" I'm calling "net income." Why would you not be able to see that we're using different words for the same fucking accounting items? Why would you say "no no no no no those aren't the right words REEEEEEEE" instead of just saying "yeah that's what I mean but small-business owners use different phrases for those items"? Are you mentally slow?

>Why would you not be able to see that we're using different words for the same fucking accounting items?
because they're not the same things at all.

legally they're very different. Mostly in how they're taxed. And who owns them.

I see what you're saying. Sorry for the confusion mate.

>I'm not cold, not warm, not soft, not hard. I am objective. I am just.
>Have you heard of "schadenfreude"? You should try it some time.
I understand the resentment but you're still giving them a role in your life. And someone like OP who justifiably feels attached to someone who did raise him and is biologically normal to do so, keeping up after cutting out will just keep that person in his life and eventually lead to a premature reunion. OP, cut her off entirely and then check on her a few weeks later. Make no contact until then. It will hurt her but she will need it. You will need it.
And don't be like this guy by dressing your resentment as pragmatism. Resentment is natural but it has to be controlled and reduced. Fill your time with hobbies, particularly those that are outside otherwise your mother will never leave your thoughts.

no problem.

I dont understad. Do you have to tell her everything? Are you 14 years old?

You don't have to necessarily tell the charities no. You CAN however offer them a mutually beneficial arrangement where you sponsor them for free advertising/marketing, depending on business type.

Every open door can be an opportunity, especially if you're selling things to people who feel some sort of validation if you tell them that 10% of tonight's proceeds go to the Fireman's Burn or Breast Cancer Awareness or whatever faggy thing they're shilling for.

Motherfucker, you're not murdering anyone. You're removing a cancer that can and WILL murder you, if you don't get it removed.

It's tough being a Veeky Forumsscrooge like you guys. Make it sound so easy.

happened to me with my drunk aunt back when I was in highschool
once I figured out what was going on I started telling her to fuck off
one day she just vanished, nobody has heard from her since and I think everyone is secretly happy about it (including my uncle, considering she could've started a nasty divorce and stolen all his money or something)
other than her my family is pretty tight, my parents are wonderful people
my dad gave me the beat up old family Volvo when I turned 18 and all that shit