I have a 318 (5.2L) Magnum V8 in my truck with 160,000 on it. And I want to make a lot more power...

I have a 318 (5.2L) Magnum V8 in my truck with 160,000 on it. And I want to make a lot more power. Looking for about 400 to the wheels and these were 230 to the flywheel new.

Is this engine even worth building? Should I instead find a 360 and build that? LS swap? My only reservation is that I want to stay away from boost.

Other urls found in this thread:

oppositelock.kinja.com/speed-on-a-budget-build-a-400hp-chevy-ls-motor-for-und-1125469009
hotrod.com/articles/415hp-from-a-basic-5-3-ls-engine/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stroker kit from hughesengines.

True, but start with a 360, bigger bore.

Just get a supercharger. Pretty much a bolt on enhancement.

I was definitely going to stroke whatever I did, but is it not worth it to find a 360 junk yard engine and stroke that? Does the 318 deserve to be stroked?

Hence my question

>my only reservation is that I want to stay away from boost

It's a van so there's literally no more vertical room for a supercharger to sit on anyways

oops. didn't read that far ahead. Don't be a pussy and get the boost. Get a big ol' blower and stick it out of the hood.

>it's a van so there's literally no more vertical room for a supercharger to sit on

A blower would stick up through the dashboard and windshield. Plz

no
no
no

invest in a platform worth building 400hp and try again.

Stroker, small turbo, and/or LS swap are your best options. I'd probably just go with a junkyard LS because they're already within spitting distance of 400hp. With a little bit of TLC (and the right parts) the LS will easily make more than 400hp.

Suggestions for something that would fit, and is worth building in your opinion?

I was considering a 4.8 turbo sloppy mechanics style, but I don't know if I'll have the room for all the pluming since it's a snub nose

nothing, its a fucking van.

go buy a c5 corvette if you want 400hp.

The small blocks are really quite compact. Smaller than a V6 in some instances. If it can fit in a miata surely it can fit in your van's doghouse.

Well yes I know the ls is very compact I'm not worried about that fitting at all, I was worried about having room for the hot side and intercooler and so forth.

but you wouldn't have an intercooler if you did a NA LS. anyway just get a hoodscoop and put an intercooler on top a la subaru style

Is 400 whp really that attainable with an NA junkard ls?

>intercooler on top
what are the benefits?

not having to put in front of the radiator.
pretty much, yeah.
A wuick google search (400hp junkyard LS) yielded this
oppositelock.kinja.com/speed-on-a-budget-build-a-400hp-chevy-ls-motor-for-und-1125469009
hotrod.com/articles/415hp-from-a-basic-5-3-ls-engine/
Remember that a good tune will go a very long way.

Bolt-ons and a cam should net you 450 WHP with a good tune.

Huh good to know. I know the 4.8 and 5.3 are favored for boost but if I was going na would a 6.0 be the best choice?

It probably doesn't matter that much because you're looking at iron block motors anyways. If you really want to be safe, look at the compression ratio each one. Low compression is generally why an engine is favored for boost; less likely to blow the fuck up.
I'd still stay away from the 4.8, it's the displacelet LS.

>not having to put in front of the radiator.
What's the benefit?

You want to have the intercooler supplied with a steady flow of cool air as cool air can be denser. Therefore you want it before the radiator heats up the air. Having the intercooler supplied with only hot air would almost negate the effects of having forced induction.

360 swap, keep it mopar
of go even bigger and throw a 383 in it

woops nevermind. I read your post wrong. The benefit would be to save grill realestate and minimize piping length.

I think you misunderstood my question. I'm NOT looking to use boost. I said the 4.8 is popular because it takes boost well, but since I'm going NA is the 6.0 my best bet for iron blocks?

I'm not necessarily worried about keeping it in the family, unless a 360 is pretty easy to get 400 out of. I know swapping a 360 would be a lot easier than an LS.

The trans blows up even with stock power. Good luck with that

I fucking love my 360

Sell it and buy the same truck with a Cummins

I'm obviously getting an aftermarket tranny

Built?

The van was not sold with a cummins

>truck
>van
Make up your mind, is it a van, or is it a truck?

>he's never heard someone call a full size van a truck before

I don't think I ever used the work truck, but it's not like it would be wrong if I did