I'm so tired of being a shitty fucking driver, how the hell can I improve? No matter what I do...

I'm so tired of being a shitty fucking driver, how the hell can I improve? No matter what I do, I just can't get comfortable in a car, I get anxious, and I make absolutely retarded mistakes all the goddamn time. Do I just need to practice more, and go on roads that I am unfamiliar with? I rode with my father today, and he got really pissed at me, saying that I "drive like a woman", and I really want to change that.

just chill bro. know the limits of the machine and control it appropriately.

Maybe you're just a woman and need to accept that and therefore a shitty driver, after all bill nye told me gender is completely fluid and that is science.

Born chink, die chink.
There's nothing you can do, solly.

Driving is easy nerd. Stop being a pussy.

Only way to practice is to keep driving in traffic, its not hard. Remember, 70% of the other drivers are borderline autistic or on their phone.

Go to a place without people or things you can crash against and take your car to it's limits. You will feel more comfortable once you know how your car reacts in extreme situations.... At least that worked for me.

Yeah, like I said, I just get so anxious when I get into a car, I don't know why. I'll try to be more relaxed when I drive tomorrow
I'm white tho
Alright, sounds good, thanks for the advice. I try my best to not be an asshat on the road, and I never go on my phone at all. I'll give your advice a shot though.
>crash against
sorry, but I don't really get what you mean. Like, literally, a place you can just crash your car against shit? Could you give an example?

a place without shit you can damage your car with.

Forgot pic

Sorry, I'm a huge retard, I completely misread your reply as "a place WITH things you can crash against". That makes way more sense now, thanks for the suggestion man, that actually seems like a good idea

Yeah, and really fun. I learned through the drift bible (for rwd) and watching rally instructors (for fwd and awd)... You should learn basic car control and weight transfer and you're golden.

>All these people pretending they aren't shit drivers as well
Fukkin lel, no one is god hand OP and most people on Veeky Forums are shit drivers.

If you've been driving for less than 3-4 years then all it takes is experience. Be cautious, and observant of where you are on the road and what you want to do next.

The thing that made me the most anxious about driving is not knowing where I was. I'd spend all my time worrying about where to go and how lost I was I couldn't focus on being a good driver.
I know most of the roads in my city and the surrounding area and pretty much everything is second nature now. If you know what lane to be in and what turns you are taking it will save you a lot of stress.
Personally, I like to drive at night when there are no people around. I'd just drive places and get lost and find my way around.

Additionally, less to do with actual driving, but absolutely learn to park. There is nothing better than being comfortable with parking anywhere. So many of my friends can't do the simplest reverse or parallel parks.
I honestly try and find the hardest parks in shopping centres and on the street to practice.

This works, but find somewhere safe. I used to throw my shitbox down this mountain road at 90km/h and while it made me a lot more confident in my cars abilities it was very dangerous.

>tfw drove over 50km with my headlights off last night because I forgot to switch them on

>km
Can you not?

Sorry, Burgerfat

Driving is really two related skills, which I'll call "piloting" and "navigating" because I'm a tremendous fag and haven't come up with any better names.

By "piloting," I mean being able to control your car and put it where you want it to go. Things like staying within the lines, knowing where the lines ARE relative to your car, negotiating a turn without hitting the curb, parallel parking, recovering from hydroplaning, getting started on a hill, and other general "driving" skills.

By "navigating," I mean deciding where the fuck your car needs to go in the first place. Things like reading the layout of an intersection, figuring out which lane you need, interpreting signage and not going the wrong way down a one-way, and being aware of where other cars and pedestrians are.

1/3

If you drive the same route to work everyday without problem but panic in a new city, your problem is with navigation. Navigation is all about situational awareness, which is challenged by your brain's inability to keep track of everything it needs to while driving. Simply practicing driving will help—as more parts of operating a car become second nature and no longer need conscious focus, you'll be able to use that focus instead on reading signage and tracking other cars.

In the meantime, you can mitigate that by autistically pre-planning every trip you take—if you've memorized all the turns and scouted out the landmarks you'll pass with Google Street View, you won't need to focus so much on trying to decipher the layout of an intersection, or figuring out if you missed your turn, or panicking because you took the wrong exit.

2/3

If your dad is yelling at you because you keep scraping wheels and veering into oncoming traffic, your problem is with piloting. Put down the cell phone, and practice the fundamentals someplace relatively devoid of traffic. Find an empty parking lot and practice parallel parking and backing into empty stalls—it will help you internalize exactly where the boundaries of your car are, and how to use the mirrors. Practicing driving within the lines down an empty country road. (Look as far down the road towards the horizon as you can; if you stare at your hood ornament, you're not going to drive as straight, and you won't see idiot kids and deer diving into the road as quickly.)

Practice the basics enough, they'll become second nature, reducing the cognitive load of driving and freeing up your conscious mind to focus on other things.

3/3

this, GAS GAS GAS

>tfw I am so shitty that I literally didn't know I had a flat tire
Started driving, something felt weird, but I was so convinced there was something wrong deeper that I glanced over the flat tire.

Continued driving to my dad's workplace for about 4km, where he chewed me out. Now sitting here, feeling like a complete retard.

Awareness is the #1 most important thing about driving. Actually controlling a car is trivial, anyone can drive a car around empty streets, it's effortless. 99% of the problems of driving come from other drivers, a LOT of them are really shitty and so you need to be aware of the cars around you and any potential dangers they can cause. A ton of dipshits don't bother using turn signals so I always hang back a little bit and make absolutely sure they're going straight and not turning, I've avoided collisions by doing that. Never, ever drive in a blind spot for more than a few seconds, people don't check blind spots and WILL change lanes into you. Shit like that.

Driving is just about playing it safe, being aware of your surroundings and preparing yourself for dumb shit that other drivers could do.

See a therapist, work out why you have so much anxiety.

It will make everything else easier.

>tfw good at driving in general but suck at parking

The trick is to never be rushed. You'll always be ok if you take your time.
When I was teaching my gf how to drive stick, I noticed that she kept wanting to shift really quickly instead of doing everything step by step. Just take your sweet ass time with everything you do. Always pause and take in all information before moving on to the next step.

You need to kill yourself and try again when you respawn.

try this with ur dad

How long have you had your license?
I had the same issue the first 3 months.

Getting used to it takes time, how much differs between people.

How the fuck do you even do that? Was it not dark?

Since how long are you driving regulary?

Cities are pretty lit up at night.

Doesn't justify it though.

>MapOfNon-CuckCountries.png

>tfw learned how to drive in a dirt backroad
>in a fwd shitbox
>No airbags
>could go slow because had to get to school on time and lived 30 minutes away

I have no fear of death, my shitbox shall carry me to valhalla

Yeah, I still am relatively new to driving, I think I really need to learn the routes in my city. I never really paid attention when I was a kid riding with my father or mother, so I guess I'm now paying for that.
>Google Street View
not a bad idea, I'll actually do that.
> preparing yourself for dumb shit that other drivers could do.
This, I totally agree with this. I have little trouble controlling the car, I'm just worried about fucking up, and making a mistake that results in a car accident.

>I'm just worried about fucking up, and making a mistake that results in a car accident.
I feel you man. Getting into an accident and having some dude screaming at me about dinging his BMW while I call a tow truck is not a situation I ever want to experience. All you can do is don't drive carelessly and do what you can to minimize risks as much as possible. At least if you crash it won't be your fault if you're on the ball.

>dad criticizes
>did nothing to help
kick your dad out of the car he sounds like a bitch

Play gran turismo with a wheel and pedals

thats its pretty normal op, you just keep trying harder and get over with the trash your dad is throwing at you, and once you learn how to drive well, you dont even gonna remember when ur dead dad has done this to you...

You could really play more driving video games to master the kinetic reaction in the connection on steering wheel and wheels and know the exact direction the car goes when reversing when you turn the steering wheel in a direction, and the angles to take to park correctly...

This is good. Most normal shits just ignore their mistakes and act like they are someone else's fault. Your on your way OP.

Yeah, I don't like to blame other people really, I know I'm the one who needs to improve. I don't want to drive like a 60-year old asian forever.