Manufacturing company workhorse unveils the w-15, the first electric pickup truck

Manufacturing company workhorse unveils the w-15, the first electric pickup truck
workhorse.com/pickup/

youtu.be/7TJPf4dwEh8

Other urls found in this thread:

viamotors.com/vehicles/electric-truck/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Am I retarded or are they marketing to people that don't fucking exist?

Im trying to wrap my head around this too

What kind of engine is it?

S10 EV laughs at you.

They don't say but it has 450 hp

Oh yeah, and so does the Ford Ranger EV.

I always thought these were interesting. Weren't these FWD for some strange reason?

Hahahah.
inb4 higher emmisions/mile than the average 4 cyl EUDM cucktruck

going by the details its a hybrid not an ev

This. It's pretty much a Chevy Volt in truck form... and VIA motors already did that

18650 batteries? are you fucking serious?

Yes, don't pretend you didn't just read that on the wiki and post it to sound smart on an anonymous image board.

>Up front, a BMW-sourced three-cylinder gasoline engine acts a generator producing 50 kW of electricity to charge the battery or drive the electric motors.

no. I looked it up years ago in high school after watching "Who Killed The Electric Car". I always thought the FWD EV drivetrain was weird as fuck. I don't truly beliece it since I still haven't been under one that's on a lift. Just does not compute.

christ

Exactly what I thought.
That'll be about 160 or so 18650's per truck. Probably more.

surely there has to be a better option than fucking flashlight batteries

I would like to see one of these EV companies have the balls to use an external combustion engine as the range extender.

>IRS
D R O P P E D

They said it numerous times: FLEET USE.

E-Cars save tons of money in the long run by being eco faggotry alone.
So there will be lots of companies who will look into this to get the fleet consumption and therefore money down.
So there definitely is a market even a probably highly skeptical one. They're not allowed to have problems off the bat or they're gone again really quickly.

You guys always only look from the private use viewpoint.

>18650 batteries? are you fucking serious?

JUST HOW FUCKING NEW ARE YOU?
Tesla uses nothing but 18650s in their cars.

What are you even doing on this board? Fucking hell.

If it doesn't work from the private use viewpoint, it isn't likely to work for companies either.
These things are probably going to be expensive af, and with that range, you'll be running the engine almost all the time, so fuel savings will not be very high.

yeah they should use old wagon technology

yeah nah

seeing as how they can charge it at work or something and its not like theyre driving cross country with it anyway

IRS loses ground clearance as the bed is loaded or the suspension is otherwise compressed. An axle suffers neither of these problems.

>save money long term
>electric

Choose one. The battery replacement cost in a hybrid or electric vehicle outweighs any savings by far, and the shit they leave in toxic waste dumps is fucked up.

yet its load capacity is higher than any 1500 truck out there

it also has more ground clearance as is

maybe you should stop playing armchair engineer I think actual designers know what theyre doing

I like how people are just assuming because it's electric companies will go
>MUH GREEN TECH
and buy them. As if a company will willing spend more money on these and have to adapt to their shortcomings and worrying about their condition over buying like $20k base Colorados and beating the hell out of them

gas price are going up
electricity is still dirt cheap
if take into account reliability
it makes sense

>Tesla uses nothing but 18650s in their cars.
Nope, they switched to 26650.

It makes no sense to gimp a vehicle that's marketed as being a workman's tool. You need the ground clearance on a muddy construction site.

>with 80 miles of all electric driving
not bad but what about when its loaded with a ton of shit?
>range extending technology
so it had an gas engine to provide a charge, wow never seen that before

neat hybrid truck i guess but what about payload? what about towing capacity?

>BMW-sourced
great, so its some tiny over priced kraut engine

So I'm guessing you own an electric car? I mean you're touting it as a good financial decision and all.

Even at maximum compression it will still sit higher than the bottom end of a Dana 44 at any load with stock tires. The only thing that can raise an axles clearance will be mud tires.

Let alone the fact that you are describing Alaskan timberwork conditions and not 99% of all other job sites. Most jobsites are not swamps requiring lifted mud trucks.

no i don't
but it make sense

If it runns on the rangextender, it is still a pretty efficient truck.

>FLEET USE
so it'll be rode hard and put away wet constantly

in the case of a hybrid like the prius they batteries are known to have a pretty long life and since the prius has become so popular its helped a lot to lower the price
there's also now some places that refurbish hybrid batteries which is even cheaper

yeah true, just funny that they tried to make it sound new and exciting

>rode hard and put away wet
Just like my sisters dildo

You sound like half the guys at my work site in northern alberta.
>"need a lifted truck fer work"
>meanwhile I got to the sites just fine in a 2000 focus
>truckers get to work just fine in their 2wd trucks hauling shit

>b-but i need a lifted truck fer woorrkkk

Well, it still has a verry good low end torque and drives 80 miles without any fuel at all...

I drive a lifted truck on 35 MTs
I work in IT, and park in a paved lot in a city.
Get mad.

no

>2wd
>truck
>lifted
wtf

>Yes, don't pretend you didn't just read that on the wiki and post it to sound smart on an anonymous image board.
You do that. Don't you? Just admit. No ones gonna know that it's you.

P A V E M E N T
R
I
N
C
E
S
S

This is good news.

Faggot

Stop having post dyslexia and re-read the post.

Is this you?!?!?!?!?

>80 mile range
An attempt wasn't even made here.

BUT THAT RANGE EXTENDING TECHNOLOGY!!1

>80 mile range

Didnt the EV s10 do better?

A friend of mine tried to start an electric company with his own inheritend funds to make an EV car and EVpick-up truck back in Russia. He later got involved with the mafia and now he probably is a multi-millionaire. Dude was pretty awesome at mechanical engineering and was a top-scorer in college.

Actually BMW 3cyls are good tho. Pretty reliable.

I'm not saying it has to be lifted, but for some construction sites etc ground clearance *can* matter.

No.

>80 mile range
lol no

imagine buying this for a farm.

You'd better have outlets all over your fields and forget about towing anything very far

80 Miles fully electriy, many miles more as a hybrid.

fuck yes serial hybrid work truck
id buy the hell out of one if they'd sell privately

2170*
at least thats the newest form factor that will be going into the model 3 among others

They used to make 26650 for the Model S after they used Panasonic 18650.

why does it have to look like a ridgeline tho

>electric vehicle
>range extender

IT'S NOT GREEN ENOUGH REEEEEEEE!!!!

And that fucking music Jesus Christ

>Uhiuh iuhhkiuh uihu Uhhhhhh uhhh uhh uhhhhhhhhh

>BMW engine.

JUST

>THIS
>RARELY
>TRUCK

Fuck I hate these clickbait faggots so much

bmw is one of the best engine manufacturers in the world.. second only to honda in my opinion.

Mkay keep drinking that Koolaid

Have fun with your VANOS shit

>bmw motor
>batteries and electric motor drives it along

this is going to be one of those edsel-level flops lmao, some rich faggo needs to preserve one in a museum

>5000lbs towing capacity
>truck

Ok there

what about vanos?

Seems overkill for what is effectively a generator.

>being this stupid

Do they still make that engine?

>Only 5,000lb towing capacity
>80 mile range (310 hybrid)

At best, it's a glorified hybrid Honda pilot. Payload is good though for a light duty. (2,200lb)

viamotors.com/vehicles/electric-truck/

>Just does not compute.

Less overall weight + less rotating mass = greater efficiency. Fleet trucks don't crawl around Moab remember.

Good, a truck that would build for the purpose of actually being a work truck.

>hurrr dey use it in duh McLaren it a good engine fur da car

My biggest concern about an electric truck existing would be towing. With the exception of the Honda Ridgeline, trucks are made with the intention of towing, or carrying something heavy in the bed of said truck. With more than one thousand pounds of added weight to the vehicle, whether that be in the bed or attached to the rear via ball and hitch, I don't see electric motors doing well with that added weight. Lets take a look at Tesla for example. Great electric motors, capable of putting down roughly four thousand foot pounds of torque at any given time, but would most likely struggle under a high amount of extra weight. Modern trucks are equipped with a towing mode, meaning that the engine will rev higher before shifting, so that it can get a better jump start on the next gear. The higher the revs in a given gear, the more torque an engine can produce. If an electric motor doesn't shift, how is it supposed to get more torque if needed?

>battery pack life meme
if you have active cell cooling and smart charging, your cells last a long ass time. Teslas in the real world are losing about 6% charge in the first year then the charge lost goes dead flat for another 4 years, meaning who knows when the packs will lose an appreciable amount of charge

>80 miles of range
More like 20 miles in the winter when it's loaded...

You just fucking said it. 1,000ft lbs of torque.

>trucks are made with the intention of towing, or carrying something heavy in the bed of said truck

I never understand this. I have worked in Africa, South America, in Central Asia and even managed a stint in a Taiwanese dock. Mines, factories, across heavy industry and shipping. Admittedly I was never actually doing the work, I was security, but the point is the same.

What the fuck are Americans towing that is so heavy that it requires a passenger vehicle with a gigantic engine to pull? Just hire plant or use a dedicated vehicle. Every other country and every industry would just bring along commercial plant to do the job, whereas Americans seem obsessed with a vehicle running road tyres to pull upward of 5000lb.

it has 100% torque at "zero" rpm, so it doesn't need gears. this is literally basic physics.

>but would most likely struggle under a high amount of extra weigt
pulling examples out of your ass are not relevant anecdotes

>people just pile up hybrid batteries in junkyards

Do you know how valuable all that lithium is? People will PAY you for the pleasure of recycling it themselves.
Go be stupid elsewhere.

>The higher the revs in a given gear, the more torque an engine can produce

Stop generalizing, that doesn't hold true. Read a book, look at a dyno sheet, and realize that a motor has a maximum torque at a certain RPM. You want the tranny to shift slightly above that point to keep the overall average torque in a given gear higher.

Use your thinking cap, guy.

Fleets need most of their cars to be ready to go 24/7.

America-sized boats

America-sized camping trailers

I feel no anger, only sympathy

I like this only because they beat tesla to the punch

here in arizona you see a lot of horse trailers being towed around

There is a lot of heavy equipment moving around the US. Folks need equipment on their land, and they'll end up renting it out or doing contracting work to help offset the cost. Even a small skid steer loader (a Bobcat/Mustang) and trailer will be over 10k pounds.

Because we've got trailers that are bigger + nicer inside than most houses in any of the countries you've mentioned.

Companies tend to ditch fleet cars after a few years because it looks bad when your company operates old crap

No. the whole point of a work truck is versatility. Being limited by range and amount of use by a fucking battery charge is dumb as fuck.