Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Harry_Pregerson_Interchange
articles.latimes.com/1989-12-10/local/me-442_1_century-freeway
youtube.com/watch?v=M-nySnaO4Ek
youtube.com/watch?v=Puez2dh3wYY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What the fuck is this? Cloverleaf till I die nigga

A roundabout.

Add 2 bridges, no light needed. Less materials, less space, instant u-turns on the interstate, faster construction??

A roundabout on an interstate? I like the possibilities

Yep. Traffic light controlled obviously

traffic light controlled interstates kinda defeat the purpose of interstates

yes, there are a few interstate with traffic lights, but why are they still considered interstates?

lol fucking amatuers get on my level

Because they interconnect states.

Can't.
t. American

Interstates are supposed to be controlled-access and control-access highways aren't supposed to have single level intersections.

>Can there be better?
Yes. Use a roundabout to handle the traffic changing directions, over the top of the major road. That's how it's done in europe, and it works. We don't get US-style gridlock, nor do we get US-style mass deaths on the roads.
But then, we also have higher standards of driving skill and safer, lighter cars.

Daily reminder that these make PERFECT sense.

It's not far from me, haven't driven round it but I might go check it out. I'd be much more scared driving round pic related desu

The major issues is you have people merging in opposite directions in very short distance. Causes huge congestion and will create a standstill and MANY crashes.

My redesign constitutes large double u-turn lanes branching on and off of the secondary highway with their own lanes about a quarter of a mile down each road, they wouldn't be as close as in the picture. Just edited this on my phone.
This requires no intersections, no cross merging, and congestion will not create a full stop situation. It does not interrupt the flow of the secondary highway. Also it's very simple and everyone can do it and easier and cheaper to construct.

Is this not the very best option?

It exists in nature, Plano, TX

Yes!
pic. related

look at

This is obviously the best, but it is high cost as it requires 6 overpasses/bridges.

*5 or 6

We have pretty much only these here in germany.

Cross merging and lots of bridges. Bad idea.
Lots of cross merging and a lot of roads to build and maintain. Plus confusing for stupid drivers.

Well, it has only one bridge, wich makes it pretty cheap.

This is true. But wouldn't be better?

Not realy, it requires you to stop and needs 2 bridges.
Therefore it is more expensive and has less capacity.

Also you would have to go to the overtaking lane on your version, wich slows down faster traffic and therefore is quite dangerous.

Doesn't require anyone to stop and requires 1 bridge that carries both lanes of one highway over the other. And with enough room and in the US where speedlimits are usually 70mph or less, you're not really inconveniencing anyone. Now if you're talking Germany, the clover IS the best idea because you have much better drivers and much faster traffic.

If you want to make a left turn you will need to stop.

at least when you come from north or south.

The only left turn is the u-turn which wouldn't require a stop because it would have dedicated lanes. Yes you would have to slow down but now one would need to stop.

You need to cross a fucking highway to change from the 57 sign to the left side.

Well you said it op it's the perfect intersection. What it is not is an interchange. That is accomplished without turn based intersections be they brought about or light.

Dual carriage ways are the bedrock of highways, and they operate on the principle of segregation. Cloverleaf is a logical design, the only flaw is that in many iterations the entries happen before the exits leading to merge turbulence. I'm still working out the best solution to that but it will look like a cloverleaf more than your monstrosity.

You mean 75? And those are on and off ramps dumbass.
Remember the u-turn lanes aren't that close to the on/off ramps as I stated in the original post.

You would still need to ,ergre multiple lanes to get there, wich slows down traffic.

I think it was sarcasm

Looks good to me. So long as the barriers are high and well lit so the africans can follow it

This is niggerdom, but French is niggerdom so maybe they make it work. I remember one near me that worked but it never got much traffic. Still beats lights to shit

Are those lanes leading into the east-west segregated by height? Becuase if they are, then you've just cut the cloverleaf short. Doable especially in already built up cities, but you will back traffic up on the north south road becuase with such a vicious turn you lose speed. And when 2fast2xurious heil Hitler's over the edge, he does so back onto a highway, which means 1 dead goes to many.

That's not an interchange, it's a tributary road intersection.

Once again you cut short a cloverleaf. Maybe expand it outside the cross-4 and you have something that does not fling cars over the rail.

Classic cloverleaf. Entries open right up intonmerges. Car crash zone created right were the red lines are

Hey fuck it works. I'm liking it more now. Still too bunched up imo the triple stack would be stupid steep, but it looks like a swastika shuriken, and no car crash zones as I can tell

Less than any intersection and merging is only happening in one direction just like any on/off ramp. You have no cross merging. And merging across two lanes in something like a quarter/half mile is easy.

It can all be done on the flat. The north/south has no interruptions besides the normal off and on ramps and the only time any road goes under one another is where the N/S runs under the E/W and they are both straight so I don't see where you see people crashing and falling onto another highway

>A DDI with only 2 more bridges is the perfect intersection

No, the interchange below is the best one as it allows drivers approaching in any direction to exit in any direction.

The Judge Harry Pregerson Interchange is a stack interchange near the Athens and Watts communities of Los Angeles, California, United States. It is the interchange of the following routes:

I-105 (Glenn M. Anderson Freeway) – El Segundo, LAX Airport, Norwalk
I-110 (Harbor Freeway) – San Pedro, Los Angeles

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Harry_Pregerson_Interchange

The interchange permits traffic entering the interchange in all directions to exit in all directions (unlike, for example, the Hollywood Split and East Los Angeles Interchange). The interchange also contains the Harbor Freeway Metro station which jointly serves the Metro Green Line light rail and Harbor Transitway bus corridor, Metro Green Line tracks, direct HOV connectors, and the Harbor Transitway, all of which contribute to the towering, imposing structure for which the interchange is known.

The interchange is over 130 feet high.

Motorists entering the interchange on the freeway trunks from all directions have freedom to exit the interchange in all possible directions of travel (i.e., it is a complete interchange). Nearly all ramps are direct (an inherent advantage of the stack interchange design) and can be driven at near-mainline speeds if not congested; the main exception is the ramp from northbound I-110 to westbound I-105, which is a cloverleaf loop.

That picture doesn't give you a full idea of the scale of the thing. Because it has such tall ramps, some approach and descent ramps begin very far away.

Because of the ramps, the intersection stretches out approximately 1.5 miles across in one direction and 1.3 miles across in the other direction.

articles.latimes.com/1989-12-10/local/me-442_1_century-freeway

Unlike most freeway intersections, drivers can actually get off and park or pick up passengers at the intersection. There are bus stations and even rail stations up in the air connected by escalators. How many freeway intersections in your city have bus stations, a rail station, escalators and a park-and-ride lot?

OMFG the Boulevard of the Allies had ONE such X merge and it was a death trap that PennDOT thankfully got rid of!

Those are the norm here in burger

>an interchange so important that it gets its own name

This introduces the Virginia Derby (The VDOT way of putting an exit ramp 100 yards from a turn, thus causing every dumb ****** a reason to hard swerve across traffic

Your design is functionally an elongated roundabout, as described by

You literally didn't even bother to read my post that says the u-turn would never be that close to the ramps.

pfft US 20 and IN 2 in Rolling Prairie, IN

be careful

i "literally" did

yet, i couldn't pass up the opportunity to rip VDOT for their dumb roads

oh great swami you are, prognosticate the winning numbers with your vast abilities to see the unseen

Traffic lights on highway intersection is one of the most retarded ideas ever, more retarded being only a roundabout with traffic lights

Build this in factorio you nigger

We have an identical interchange where I live. I4 and I75 in Tampa Bay. The problem is it becomes extremely congested at rush hour with all the traffic. Our population is booming so it's getting worse with every year.

>add 2 bridges
>less materials
Did the American bridge building lobby send you?

>Car crash zone created right were the red lines are
If you're a mouth breathing moron American. I've never seen a crash in a merge zone on the Autobahn because we actually get taught how to drive before we're allowed to drive.

I've driven the Autobahn, Autoroute and Autostrada. Never seen an X merge. Where can I find one of these?

>I've never seen it, therefore it doesn't happen
>only Americans are bad drivers
>Nobody drives like an asshole anywhere else in the world
You sure about that?

youtube.com/watch?v=M-nySnaO4Ek
youtube.com/watch?v=Puez2dh3wYY

That looks incredibly over expensive. It must have been an important intersection to require so many costly non-crossing offramps and on-ramps (stack intersection).

i'm driving on the autobahn soon for the first time and desu i'm scared to shit because of the potential closing speeds

it's a 3 freeway interchange that sees like 60 million cars a day.
i think the civil engineers know what they are doing.

You need to be ready to brake permanently.
Don´t drive fast when there is much traffic and use the right lane, no matter how fast you drive.

Contrary to popular belief, there are posted speed limits. Just stay in the slow lane and keep with the locals and there is NOTHING to worry about.

Rigs pass each other on the Autobahn. It's as slow a pass as anywhere else. Germans call it "elephant racing".

This!
Most of the time people don´t drive faster than 130km/h(81mph) anyway.
Semis are limited to 80km/h, so the right lane is usually as slow as the semis.

some of the sections i'll drive on are derestricted apparently. i'll try to be sensible but i'm sure there will be a temptation to attempt to max out my shitbox

>i'm sure there will be a temptation to attempt to max out my shitbox
There will be one, and I suggest you to do it.
You should drive during the night to have less traffic.

>That looks incredibly over expensive.
>it's a 3 freeway interchange that sees like 60 million cars a day.
One of the hugest freeway interchanges in Los Angeles had a 135 million dollar cost. The anti-discrimination activists kept on filing lawsuit after lawsuit demanding money. Construction projects get held hostage with delays. It's easier to give away 500K dollars here to avoid a lawsuit delaying construction for 3 months. Then someone else files and they get 2.5 million. It never ends with these activists looking for anything they can hold hostage for money.

In the case of one major new California freeway interchange, the discrimination activists succeeded with one lawsuit to include into the cost of the freeway interchange a bunch of social welfare payments for the poor living near the interchange and along the freeway for a certain distance. So when you see cost overruns for freeways in your area, it is not all due to actual construction costs.

Let that sink in ... 135 MILLION for one interchange

And it's a cluster fuck of an intersection

Stacks of cash to build stacks like that

Never mind, it's because I thought you were segregating the road for the uturns. Your design is even worse, it's like a cop turnaround but open to the public. The west-to-south and east-to-north have to lose all their speed then accelerate again across multiple lanes while turning again. This will lead to a. Jam-ups b. Tbones. It's a nigger tier design you expect from the country road that unsurpasse a huge interstate. You have not made an interchange you have made a mistake. See the "turbine" or "whirlpool" for the optimum in exchange design.

This is a monstrosity necessitated by having so many welfare queen lines. Idgaf about bus lanes or communist politburo officer special lanes. What is the cost of such a system? The turbine in south Carolina only needed 75 or 80 feet I believe, and the bridge spans were all small. And congestion is much more greatly affected by the overall straightness, grade uniformity, and entry/exit structure than interchange design. Although a turbine with bullet train style flatness and straightness down the line seems ideal for everything.

> you not crashing =/= it not being a crash zone.
Merges male crashes. The faster and more severe the angle, the worse the effect is. Germans might have better drivers for now because all those tuner rapists you import prefer the metro. But once the state starts paying them the rape bounties they've been pushing for, they'll buy mercs, and your merge areas will become death traps.

Isn't passing on ramps going that fast dangerous?

Sorry I meant passing them that fast in the curb lane. Where I live everyone drives too fast in the curb lane and has to move to the left lane to let traffic in in our retardedly short onramps which often results in them cutting someone off

We just had one built in the city I live in in Indiana. Its fucking awesome and needs to be done more.

However the fucking dual lane roundabouts they put in too need to go the fuck away. Every road the roundabout exits to merges into a single lane so there is no point and no one knows how to drive in them

It's only 2 freeways (I-110 and I-105) but there is some additional complication from the inclusion of dedicated HOV ramps and the Metro station, serving a bus line on the 110 and light rail along the 105.

>the fucking dual lane roundabouts they put in too need to go the fuck away

dual lanes? LOL

Try 3 lanes, no 2, no back to 3, no back to 2 in a micro roundabout with >20000 VPD load!

How this satellite image was captured without the Sterling Heights Demolition Derby of Death being completely engulfed in flames is beyond me.

I forgot to mention the deadly pedestrian crossings.

Just when you think you have an exit, granny with her shopping trolly appears out of nowhere

Full brake lock up

Pile up of death

>completely missing the point of having 2 lanes in a roundabout
Fucking Americans. The outside lane is only used when you're making a turn off of the roundabout.
If you want to take the first exit, you only use the outside lane.
If you want the second exit or further, you use the inside lane then move over to the outside lane after you pass the exit before the one you want.
For a 3 lane roundabout, you literally just get in the correct lane coming up to it, then follow the road markings.

Fucking Americans. No Shit Sherlock.

Fucking Swiss. I've seen people stay in the right lane until their straight or left. Yes, indeed, they are better at it, but not perfect.

Burger engineers decided to do away with the deceleration, acceleration roads seperate from the motorway.

If americans werent special snowflakes who easily get triggered with people being in their close vicinity then we might have the room to build well thought out interchanges but because burgers get so easily triggered that is why roads are built so wide to accomodate the fuckhuge safe space ca.. I mean trucks because cars are "less safe" to be in crashes

That's too complicated for some American drivers. While most Americans can do it easily enough, you've heard of the saying "One bad apple spoils the whole barrel" ?? Unlike the EU that has driving exams based upon Merit, in America, we had to water down the exams due to lawsuits they were discriminating against hispanics and blacks. That happened in California and Washington state.

As a result, there will always be a few American drivers that have zero merit as drivers. They got driver licenses because either the exams are watered down to be barely exams, or they got licenses due to discrimination lawsuits. It is possible to get a driver license as a result of a discrimination lawsit (california).

>no orange traffic cones everywhere
>Montreal
this photo must be shopped