I'm looking to buy my first car, my budget is around $3-3.5k. I'm fine spending less if it still meets my needs...

I'm looking to buy my first car, my budget is around $3-3.5k. I'm fine spending less if it still meets my needs. I don't know shit about cars and haven't driven much before, but I need to get a summer job so I need a car. Mainly will use it for commuting, a few errands around town, and occasionally 3.5 hour drives to parents house during breaks and such. I'm a college student.

Most important things to me are it has to last me at least 2 years until I graduate & needs to be cheap and reliable.
Things that I'd like but don't care as much about → Room in the back for my shit when I travel. Good gas mileage 2save money. Less than $3k 2save money. Automatic because I've heard it sucks to drive stick in traffic and there would be a lot on my daily route. Also because I can't drive stick.

First car that I'm looking at is 2000 camry w 190k miles from a car guy who my gfs senpai has bought cars from before. Price is 2500 negotiable. His wife drove the car so I'm assuming it was looked after decently. Car was hit in trunk, but bumper has been repaired. How low should I try to get this car? obv low as possible but what is acceptable?

Next car is a 03 mazda protege for $3.3k 134k mi. from used car dealership. I mainly was drawn to this one because it seemed decent price for miles and it's mentioned on sticky. I would have to learn stick.

Also found a 93 Nissan Maxima GXE w 107k mi for $1.9k. Was drawn for same reason as the mazda, price for miles and sticky. This one gets meh MPG. Also it's old but I know that doesn't necessarily mean bad.

Do I need to give anymore info

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rQhG6dyX_AI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sticky works on a 5k budget to stop threads like this. Read it.

Does Bruno Mars is gay?

I'm looking for advice but also feedback for the specific cars I mentioned.

part seamonkey

Hot damn taytay is tall as fuck.

I would heavily recommend a Maxima, but only 1995 to 2003 model years as they got the VQ series V6's.
The Protege should be fine, but check for rust. They're known for it. It it has anything more than surface rust, walk away.
190k is high mileage for any car, especially one that's been in an accident. Rule that Camry out.

Again, look at cars on the sticky. Also, you'll find more reliable cars if you forgo automatic and get a manual transmission car. It really is a big gap in performance, fuel economy, and reliability when compared with an automatic.

She's wearing like 6 inch heels to keep that dress from dragging on the ground.

Thanks for thought out reply, I definitely like the protege too because it's from a dealership, but is still a pretty good price. I had ruled out the camry before, but reconsidered cuz low price compared to all other stuff I was looking at. I'll look for Maximas, are you just recommending them because the same stuff the sticky says or do you think it fits well with stuff I've mentioned?
I'll reread sticky too

>2000 camry w 190k miles

Oh dude, be careful with that one, will ya? Asians are usually reliable but that's a huge mileage and unless if it's really well taken care of, like you speculated, expect it to be lots of broken stuff on it, to the point you might have to invest more on the repairs than in the car (engine mainly), and even then, chances are that it won't last long because it's used af.

I'd rule that out, and maybe try to go for a Dodge Neon if you cba to spend much on repairs, those things are real economy cars, but not that comfortable afaik.

Actually, I recommended the Maximas because I had one. fucking unkillable. And if you get it with a stick, they're a lot of fun to drive. Decent aftermarket too if you want to modify.
Again, those Proteges are KNOWN for rust. Bubbling paint is not surface rust, but major rust. If it has bubbling paint ANYWHERE, walk away. It'll cost more than the car is worth to repair, and depending on how far in it goes, can be a severe safety issue.

And again. look for manual transmission cars, especially with FWD cars like you're looking at. FWD automatics in general have a long history of being unreliable.

The dealership has like 30 photos up so I'll look through them for any rust. I'm gonna try to learn stick from a friend before I buy this weekend so I'll actually be able to test drive it. I probably won't mod anything cuz I got 0 knowledge at the moment, but thanks for all the advice.

Where should I look for rust specifically?

It's photoshopped, friend

the rear wheel arches.
Also, open the trunk, pull back the carpeting /plastic covers, and look at the metal. If you see rust there, run.
youtube.com/watch?v=rQhG6dyX_AI

also check the sills under the doors on the bottom of the car.

This is the side view. There's definitely nothing like those pics but there may be a tiny bit on the door let me upload a pic.

Look at the bottom left of the door it's kind of hard to tell but it might be some.
When you say pull back carpeting, would I be able to see it in the picture they have of the empty trunk or would I have to stick my head in?

I wouldn't worry about anything on the door itself. You can unbolt the door and replace it if need be. You can't do that with the unibody itself.
Ask them if you can have a trusted mechanic look over the car. Have him/her look the car over mechanically, and check for rust.

sweet thanks man, I'll write that down.

Post your local Craigslist. It's time to learn manual.

T O Y O T A
O
Y
O
T
A